• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Can

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
With the release of new patches almost every month and the ever changing meta game, I am sorry to say that I don't believe Duck Hunt will get any significant buffs; or at least any that will help our killing problem. With this in mind, I have been searching for easy set ups or even traps that can net me some kills easier (or at least before 170%).

One of the ones that I haven't had too much practice with is off the use of an off-stage gunmen. By placing a gunmen off-stage he will slowly fall down leaving an active hitbox. What I usually do is drop the gunmen, roll backwards, and release a forward smash. This usually leaves opponents with recoveries that have an active hitbox
(Mario, Fox etc) vulnerable to the Fsmash because the gunmen extends the hitbox (or hurtbox, don't really know the proper term for it).

One that is really efficient and is easier to do is back throw into can. You might of heard about all of the neat tricks Duck Hunt can do with the can's trajectory after throws, but I have only seen one Duck Hunt use them to kill efficiently. His name is Yusan, a Japanese Duck Hunt player who is actually really good. By throwing out the can in front of him, this usually forces the opponent to hesitate and shield. He then goes in for the grab and back throws them into the can. This can get him some nice kills.

Some videos:
:4duckhunt::4villager:

:4duckhunt::4villager:

:4duckhunt::4pikachu:

He has some great usage of the Can, check it out!!

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
One of the ones that I haven't had too much practice with is off the use of an off-stage gunmen. By placing a gunmen off-stage he will slowly fall down leaving an active hitbox. What I usually do is drop the gunmen, roll backwards, and release a forward smash. This usually leaves opponents with recoveries that have an active hitbox
(Mario, Fox etc) vulnerable to the Fsmash because the gunmen extends the hitbox (or hurtbox, don't really know the proper term for it).
I tried that during the anti Little Mac testing phase (which got us the sweet 0% KO move... which I will have to retest for 1.1.2 again. Thanks Nintendo), and the gunman does delay his up-B (he doesn't actually ledge grab for the entire duration of the move and even goes past it, poking his head over), but it's difficult in practice because there's a narrow window of opportunity, either:

1) The opponent is close enough they can jump or jump up then side-B over the gunman, or
2) They're far enough to prompt can bombing, down air, forward air or the gunman dissipates

For Mario, it's worth just intercepting his up-B with a can. It might sound weird, but if Mario hits can's sourspot, the can doesn't explode but it early terminates up-B with no reset, and it has a chance of early KO. Applies to Luigi likewise. Same can occur on Fox/Falco but it's much less likely because Fox/FalcoFire triggers explosion (so the sourspot will only catch out side-Bs).

Our best opportunity to get a leg up and force Nintendo's hand is to exploit the glitches that normally disadvantage us to our advantage. Little Mac's 0% KO exploits the down smash 'slide glitch', and I have a feeling there's maybe a true combo lurking somewhere in forward smash slide glitch (because the player is always guarenteed to fall the same distance regardless of damage).

At the moment all my research is on Little Mac flaws because he's our biggest bugbear, but if anyone thinks there's another character I should nose around then suggest away!

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
that dude is godlike: that is what a truly mastered Duck Hunt looks like. Uses all the tools to force the opponent to react and get a free setup/damage from their forced reaction.
I think if we can model our gameplay after Yusan, Brood and Dunnobro we will truly have mastered this character.

TheQTpie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qu1nn9250
I believe that Yusan has the most effective way of playing Duck Hunt and is by far the best Duck Hunt player in the world. I agree that we should try to mold ourselves around the type of player that he is

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Taking from You3, Brood and other top Duck hunts while incorporating your own style is key. Join the Duck Bunt discord btw

TheQTpie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qu1nn9250
Taking from You3, Brood and other top Duck hunts while incorporating your own style is key. Join the Duck Bunt discord btw
i've never used discord before but it'd be cool to try out

TheQTpie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qu1nn9250
Yea it's much more active there and you can find meta information, guides, videos, chit chat, friendly faces, and Wi-Fi matches
sweetness man. I found the discord and i'm apart of it now thanks man

Top Bottom