• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Bjr jab lock from footstool?

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
I keep trying but it just doesn't seem like he can reach the ground fast enough. I wonder because I want to know what the best option is for footstools out of mechakoopa

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
No, he jumps too high. But you can hit them with abandon ship.

Edit: l was not counting with the MK setup on my reply, my b.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Against floaty characters you can do grounded footstool>mechakoopa Z-drop>air footstool>jab1>jab1>jab1(>push toward ledge a bit)>upB>hammer for 51%, or you can charge a smash instead if you aren't confident in your upB>hammer consistency.

Not sure where the cutoff for who it'll stop working on is (I don't play this character), but it's already pretty tight on Rosa.

Edit: gifs make everything better

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Against floaty characters you can do grounded footstool>mechakoopa Z-drop>air footstool>jab1>jab1>jab1(>push toward ledge a bit)>upB>hammer for 51%, or you can charge a smash instead if you aren't confident in your upB>hammer consistency.

Not sure where the cutoff for who it'll stop working on is (I don't play this character), but it's already pretty tight on Rosa.
Usually you do ff soft hit nair on the way down to lock since the straight ff to jab baaarely works and a lot of fast fallers can get out of it if they react fast enough. So: Footstool>zdrop>air footstool> ff late hit nair is the optimal lock. Against ffers at extremely low % (p sure it stops working at 9% on falcon) you can side b into the footstool for a 71% guaranteed combo by finishing off the lock with side b > uair > uair > uair > fair.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Usually you do ff soft hit nair on the way down to lock since the straight ff to jab baaarely works and a lot of fast fallers can get out of it if they react fast enough. So: Footstool>zdrop>air footstool> ff late hit nair is the optimal lock. Against ffers at extremely low % (p sure it stops working at 9% on falcon) you can side b into the footstool for a 71% guaranteed combo by finishing off the lock with side b > uair > uair > uair > fair.
ff nair is character flexible, jab1 is percent flexible. Late nair stops locking Rosalina at 27% (18% before mechakoopa), while starting a lock with jab1 works up to 204% (latest initiation percent 186%), meaning jab1 locks let you set up kills on floaties at more or less any realistic percent, while nair is reliable early damage on anyone.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
ff nair is character flexible, jab1 is percent flexible. Late nair stops locking Rosalina at 27% (18% before mechakoopa), while starting a lock with jab1 works up to 204% (latest initiation percent 186%), meaning jab1 locks let you set up kills on floaties at more or less any realistic percent, while nair is reliable early damage on anyone.
Jab timing is still very, very strict on most of the cast. Definitely a case of knowing when to use one over the other. Idk how accurate that late nair threshold number is though. It's very easy to hit it too early. Takes substantial practice to actually lock with it.

For anyone else who hasn't seen it though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmg-z8Tg48k

Last edited:

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
So is the second footstool to jab1 true on some characters? And I'm practicing on the 3ds rn and I can't seem to hit any character after the foot stool with a late hit nair. Does it not connect with certain characters or am I just doing it wrong?
Edit: Also floaties like Rosalina can be footstooled through kart at super low percents if you don't go full speed, but it's hard to follow up because of their aerial speed.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Nair works on all characters up to a % threshold but the timing is strict. Jab is only true on specific characters and on others no matter how quickly you drop it's not quite fast enough if your opponent is on the ball with a wakeup option.

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
I feel like we should make a chart for what works until when on what characters, kart into footstool is not hard to set up and neither is footstool into zdrop.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Cart into footstool is hard to set up for the sole fact that it doesn't work on most of the cast once they have double-digit %/you have any rage at all. Rule of thumb is go for the jab vs anyone with a moderately slow to very slow fall speed. The nair setup is arguably better but 100x more situational.

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
So I was watching this video and saw that on 2 occasions Vicegrip footstooled Sonic out of kart incredibly fast at very high percents. How did he get the footstool? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoCB6mjcK9M (Happens at 1:38 and 4:06) I know the video is old but still.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Jr can Jablock with his Jab on everyone, but those who he will have problem to jablock with Jab is those who bounces REALLY high and arent that fat because they will bounce over your hitbox (captain Falcon and Ganon straight from my mind).
you can get them by either being really early with the punch so they dont bounce over it or try to hit them on the way down.

its not impossible as I have gotten jablock on everyone but the timing due the hits are sometimes really hard to hit

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
So I was watching this video and saw that on 2 occasions Vicegrip footstooled Sonic out of kart incredibly fast at very high percents. How did he get the footstool? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoCB6mjcK9M (Happens at 1:38 and 4:06) I know the video is old but still.
some characters have a low hurtbox when hit, like pikachu and G&W. this allows you do get an instant footstool, even at 999%. sonic was in a weird position so it's not possible to really plan for.

Top Bottom