• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can anyone test Melee/PM on an LCD using OSSC?

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Hi!

Maybe many of you do not know what OSSC is. Let me explain:

OSSC stands for Open Source Scan Converter. It is a device that is connected to both your pre-6th gen console and your LCD TV and it duplicate lines. Since it do not upscale and its processing is quite fast, there is no input lag. That means you can play properly old action games like Mega Man 2 in a good way on a 1080p screen, since its 240p60 resolution is converted into 960p60 with no input lag and no graphic flaws.

It has been tested with many action and arcade games from near every SD/ED console and it works perfectly.

However, I would like to see if anyone here has one of these and can verify Melee and/or PM have no input lag on a modern display using OSSC. I really hate to play PM on my old 13″ SDTV (it runs at 480i30).

More info. here: https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I mean you can already get HDMI out of a Wii using a Sewell adapter which when paired with a low lag monitor adds less than a frame of lag. To my understanding most of the input lag on modern TVs comes from extra image processing rather than upscaling (which is fast), so really it might depend moreso on the monitor/TV

Also, you don't want to be playing Melee/PM at 30 fps

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I mean you can already get HDMI out of a Wii using a Sewell adapter which when paired with a low lag monitor adds less than a frame of lag. To my understanding most of the input lag on modern TVs comes from extra image processing rather than upscaling (which is fast), so really it might depend moreso on the monitor/TV

Also, you don't want to be playing Melee/PM at 30 fps
Well, that's why I would like somebody to test it.

Many people think the best option is a CRT, but they are wrong. Most of consumer CRTs are limited to 480i, which means you have 60 interlaced frames (i.e. 30 complete frames). And also, American CRTs use almost exclusively composite video, which is tremendously awful.

That's why I would like somebody to test it like this:

Wii/GameCube > RGB cable (SCART) > OSSC > LCD display (less than 16.7 ms of lag)

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Well they say CRT's are the best option because there is less than 1ms of lag on most of them, not because they have the best picture quality. If this OSSC thing is indeed "instant," meaning no more than a few milliseconds of lag, then you will be able to find a low lag monitor that will provide you with less than a frame of lag.

However, it seems so expensive that it probably isn't worth it when you could just get a Sewell adapter. Maybe the picture quality is slightly better, but I'm not sure if that justifies the price for this usage. Anyway, maybe someone on here owns one and can respond with their experience although I wouldn't count on it

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Well they say CRT's are the best option because there is less than 1ms of lag on most of them, not because they have the best picture quality. If this OSSC thing is indeed "instant," meaning no more than a few milliseconds of lag, then you will be able to find a low lag monitor that will provide you with less than a frame of lag.

However, it seems so expensive that it probably isn't worth it when you could just get a Sewell adapter. Maybe the picture quality is slightly better, but I'm not sure if that justifies the price for this usage. Anyway, maybe someone on here owns one and can respond with their experience although I wouldn't count on it
Not talking about picture quality. Actually, 480i is quite worse for competitive game, since it forces you to play at false 60fps with flickering effects.

It's expensive, that's true, but it is an interesting solution. Here many people spent more than that on Smash 4 (DLCs, both 3DS and Wii U versions, GC controller adapter for Wii U, ethernet-to-USB adapter.)

FunkadelicMaestro

Smash Rookie
Not talking about picture quality. Actually, 480i is quite worse for competitive game, since it forces you to play at false 60fps with flickering effects.

It's expensive, that's true, but it is an interesting solution. Here many people spent more than that on Smash 4 (DLCs, both 3DS and Wii U versions, GC controller adapter for Wii U, ethernet-to-USB adapter.)
Hi! I know this post is old but did you ever figure out if melee works well with the ossc?

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Wish I could test this, but GameCube decided to die, right when I got my OSSC.

That said, lag IMO is a pretty exaggerated problem in the retro gaming community, unless you're trying be an absolute pro robot. From what I've heard an OSSC with a good TV should be enough for you to do wavedashes, etc and get practice in; unless you're training to do M2K level stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom