• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can anyone teach me to play as Jigglypuff?

soif

Smash Rookie
I got this game about a month ago, and Jigglypuff seems quite cool to me. I don't think I can get better without playing good people, but hardly anyone I know has this game. I've learnt some basic terms like short hop and stuff but I'm a complete noob. So is there anyone who'd play with me online and tell me what I'm doing wrong etc.? Is this even the right place?

Thanks.

EDIT: I should add, this is not my first Smash game; I played Melee loads, and even used Jigglypuff a lot. Hence, I'm not as bad as you may think.

Serynder

Jigglypuff is the best.
Welcome to Smashboards, soif. Because you got the game about a month ago, and you've already come to Smashboards and learned a few basics, I'll make a guess that you're no stranger to the concept of competitive play?

You definitely came to the right place.

soif

Smash Rookie
Thank you, glad to be here. I actually kind of am. The only game I've played somewhat competetively before is Pokemon, and I can't think of any skills that transfer over to Smash from that. From what I understand Jigglypuff is actually a pretty bad character? Is that true?

Anyway, do you know of any training programme type thing for new players? Specifically with Jigglypuff, if possible.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
www.allisbrawl.com
make an account, wait a day, go to ladder and join it, then go singles chat room and play matches to get your rank up...its the most competitive online practice you'll get...you might want to just find friendlies at first though and there's a chat for that too

Serynder

Jigglypuff is the best.
I'll agree with GeneralWoodman. Though I'd say you should start off in Free Play chat, which is one of the chat rooms on AllisBrawl's website where you can find matches for yourself. Play there first, before the actual ladder, because that way you'll be able to learn more about this game's mechanics and your objectives in a match, without being ranked for it.

Jigglypuff isn't a "bad" character. But to play her at the level in which you can compete against people who main higher tier characters(such as Meta Knight, Snake, Diddy, et cetera), you'll need to learn and develop an understanding for the game's mechanics, much moreso than the people you play against.

With this in mind, I'd like to say that you shouldn't immediately begin playing Brawl competitively using Jigglypuff, but choose a character in which enables you to jump right into the feel for this game. I'm going to go ahead and refer you to either R.O.B. or Diddy, because they have a much higher number of options than Jigglypuff does to execute in a match. It'll provide you with a pretty favorable learning curve, due to the several requirements needed to play them effectively; the ability to appreciate and realize the way different characters get more options as far as their movements are concerned, getting to learn the projectile-related aspects of Brawl, et cetera.

If you want to play Jigglypuff on the side, that would also be cool, but beginning your competitive career maining a character which requires an understanding and knowledge about the game that would take an average of about a year and a half of attending tournaments to exercise effectively will have the least favorable of impacts on your outlook, attitude, and progress.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I got this game about a month ago, and Jigglypuff seems quite cool to me. I don't think I can get better without playing good people, but hardly anyone I know has this game. I've learnt some basic terms like short hop and stuff but I'm a complete noob. So is there anyone who'd play with me online and tell me what I'm doing wrong etc.? Is this even the right place?

Thanks.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=269438

This thread is up and stickied for a reason

soif

Smash Rookie
I'm sure. To my knowledge, however, it contains nothing which I have asked for in this thread. I have read the guides etc. And I'm looking for someone to just play a match with so they can tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for trying to help though.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
To my knowledge, however, it contains nothing which I have asked for in this thread. I have read the guides etc. And I'm looking for someone to just play a match with so they can tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for trying to help though.
The New Jigglypuff Friend Finder by Noobicidal
A list of Jigglypuff community members, including locations and FCs. Post your own info and set up wifi matches here.
It's a pretty comprehensive directory.

soif

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I saw that. I just assumed it was for people who wanted a good match. I'm looking for more of a teacher sort of thing. Good directory though, it's certainly come in handy for me before. Looking over my last post, I realise it could have been perceived as slightly curt or disrespectful; I apologise if you thought so too, that's just the way I talk.

In regards to Lol.'s post, I have tried each character (bar a few who I had no interest in) a decent amount and I think Jigglypuff suits me the most; I think I am good while in the air and off stage, while less so on the ground. I could be wrong, but I think I play the best as Jigglypuff.

So I'm best off going to All is Brawl? Thank you everyone.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I realise it could have been perceived as slightly curt or disrespectful; I apologise if you thought so too, that's just the way I talk.
Oh please, you come off as a bunny rabbit compared to myself. I didn't feel any ill will whatsoever.

As for the issue at hand, AiB will be your best bet for establishing matches easily, but there's always the Smashboards Arena, which offers matches with those around your skill level (and the occasional helpful veteran) if you want to get your feet wet. SWF is still the place to go if you want updated character guides, discussions and what have you, though several boards can offer you a match with their respective character.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
If you want understand Jigglypuff better, go into special brawl stamina mode. Give yourself 1 HP and CPU Ganondorf 300 HP. When you can beat him by lowering his stamina to 0 rather than gimping him, you should have at the very least a really good understanding of Jigglypuff.
It's MUCH harder than it sounds.

It's a method that helps people get good fast with hit and run characters like Jigglypuff, Wario, & Sonic.

soif

Smash Rookie
Ahh that's interesting. Is it very difficult? Also, I don't like it when people do that thing where you have to highlight the text to see it. I'm often on my iPod so I can't see what you said! Hopefully it wasn't important.

EDIT: Lol I did it but I guess I cheated a bit; I used aerials, mainly forward-airs but also neutral-airs and Pounds for a while (hitting with it just a little bit then immediately DIing backwards) until I got my first grab. I then realised that the AI is so stupid I could just use continuous up-tilts (even the occassional up-smash) to essentially make the CPU helpless as long as I saw where he was falling to and walked a little bit in that direction. Maybe it's cos the attacks had so little knockback as they'd not only staled but I suppose the Ganondorf was on 0% effectively? Anyway it was pretty easy that way. :p Although I still don't have a really good understanding of Jigglypuff. >_>

EDIT again: What cool stuff can Jigglypuff do while the opponent's respawning? Like, in Melee you always see people showing off tech skill. Is there anything impressive but not necessarily useful that Jiggs can do? :p

Ammonium

Smash Rookie
Personally I like to taunt mercilessly after I get a ko as jiggs. Something you can do to make them angry if they're already steaming is just to crouch/stand repeatedly. Ledge-canceled sing can also look cool. Not a whole lot of tech skills involved in brawl though lol.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Reverse Rollout ledge grab from the stage, Quantum Ledgegrabbing/offstage jump renewal with Sing, ledge fall rising pound regrab (B-reversed ones look even snazzier), and Jab Jab Dtilt.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779

Thanks.

EDIT: I should add, this is not my first Smash game; I played Melee loads, and even used Jigglypuff a lot. Hence, I'm not as bad as you may think.
you can start by reading my guide, if you need anymore help, i can answer via aim.

soif

Smash Rookie
Yeah I've read that guide. It's really good, thanks. Are there any tips with how to hit with
roll-out? I hit with it sometimes but often I'm punished. I don't go around using it all the time or anything. Usuaully I like to charge it when they're returning to stage, then release it, see if they shield/counter/f-smash, and if they do, change directions twice and hit them. Another question, what's the best way to avoid getting stage spiked when recovering/planking/stalling as Jiggs?

Reverse Rollout ledge grab from the stage, Quantum Ledgegrabbing/offstage jump renewal with Sing, ledge fall rising pound regrab (B-reversed ones look even snazzier), and Jab Jab Dtilt.

I understand everything but 'Quantum Ledgegrabbing.' :p

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Master Dacus with jiggs. Practice with snake first and then go to jigglypuff. Also it might be useful to learn how to dacus put of shield and spot dodge. Also I sure you realize that Jigglypuff is bad in brawl but most of the matchups are winnable but there is no such thing as an easy matchup. Also start by reading the competitive guide to jigglypuff.

This theard is outdated but might still:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162447

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Is japes the only stage that the sign canceling off the ledge works.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think you can do it in FD too, but it's harder and riskier and still useless most of the time.

Top Bottom