• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can anyone help me with some stage lighting??

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I'm trying to get this stage lighting just right, but just cant quite make it look good and make it functional. I need to make sure the foreground, background and character lighting contrasts enough while making the stage look good at the same time. Its actually someone elses pyrosphere stage hack, and the original lighting wasnt perfect either, and it also caused the game to lag.. so ive been tweaking it. The lagging has stopped, but the lighting is just still off! It kinda looks weird and its not always easy to keep track of your fighter. I'm trying to make it look similar to the Smash bros wiiu stage (though this isnt as important, as long as the stage just has lighting that makes it look decent)

here is the file. if anyone can help that would be great:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9xov7yhjid8ziev/STGORPHEON_Bgood.pac

thanks!

Sandfall

Stage Designer
I decided to gave it a shot (I needed the lighting practice anyway :p ):

This isn't done, but I wanted to see if you liked where I was going with it (I still think it might be a tad too bright). I mostly focused on the characters themselves. I changed one spotlight to an orange-ish directional one pointing upward (this supposed to represent the light coming from the lava). There's a point light in the middle that is supposed to loosely represent the light from the lava in the middle. I also cranked up the ambient light for both the characters as well as the stage.

In addition to messing with the SCN0 file, I changed the lightsetindex on the lava below to "-1" (for brighter lava). I also fixed the shadows on the main platform (they were flickering). For some reason, whoever made this stage put the shadow animation into a second model animation. Since the game will only read one model animation per modeldata, that one wasn't being read, so I put it in the first one (the Ridley one).

Also, for reference, the Kirby is a Brawl model and the Jigglypuff is the Smash 3 model (with rim lighting).

Here's the download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/y658sqsd4b2sldw/STGFINAL.pac

Let me know if you want me to change anything (even if it's minor).

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
i think ridley may need some light on him too, maybe have some kind of light coming from the lava spewing out or something?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
hm this is weird. when i play in game the colour is a lot more yellow than the picture you posted here. Not sure why that is. I suppose my screen tint may be off?

Sandfall

Stage Designer
i think ridley may need some light on him too, maybe have some kind of light coming from the lava spewing out or something?
Ridley is actually tied to the lighting that the characters use, I'd probably have to make a new lightSet to make him look right. Personally, I'd just get rid of him since he's just kinda sitting there doing nothing. It would also likely remove any lag issues there are with this stage.

hm this is weird. when i play in game the colour is a lot more yellow than the picture you posted here. Not sure why that is. I suppose my screen tint may be off?
Hmmm, I haven't had the chance to test it out on my wii yet (this was in dolphin). Are you running this on a console or a computer?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
im running it on my wii on the tv. its a lot darker on the tv. check it out when you get a chance i guess.
And about ridley ya i might get rid of him (though i tried that before and the lag didn't change at all strangely), but either way.. ignoring him, i think the lava coming out of the wall could use some lighting too don't you think? Not sure if that's something you can do easily or not.

That isn't as important though, the main thing is making sure the stage lighting looks good, and also making sure that the characters aren't hard to keep track of in a hectic fight.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
oh actually could you do the same thing to the laga coming outa the wall that you did to the lava under the stage?

Luca_Boardet

Smash Rookie
I have a big problem wit Brawl Box.
How do I even change the lightning
like, I've downloaded a stage, that had a
red-yellow animated background.
I've made it tournament legal with the
Project M Final Destination and changed the Textures to his official purple-blue Textures.
But the lighting is still red-yellow.
The Characters are yellow and the background has purple-blue with red lighting.
And I don't know how to change the lighting!

Any guide or help would be appreciated.

Top Bottom