• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Can anybody provide me with a decent challenge?!" Lu Bu Pursues! (Dynasty Warriors)

D

Deleted member

First Appearance: Dynasty Warriors (February 28, 1997)
Latest Appearance: Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate (December 19, 2019)
1573326384979.png

Render from Dynasty Warriors 9

Who is Lu Bu?

Dubbed the mightiest warrior across the land, Lu Bu was a general that lived during the late Han Dynasty. He served under Dong Zhuo after slaying his adopted father Ding Yuan, only to later betray Dong Zhuo thanks to the influence of Diaochan and raise his own army to take over China. Many of Lu Bu's introductions throughout the Warriors franchise involves him blowing through waves of soldiers seeking for tough opponents to fight, and his mere presence has various officer like Cao Cao tell you not to pursue Lu Bu as he will annihilate you as soon as he strikes. He even owned a steed named Red Hare which was known for its size and speed; this duo would mark the famous saying "among men Lu Bu, among horses Red Hare".

Why Lu Bu?

From his appearance to his moveset to even his theme, Lu Bu is 1 of the most iconic characters in the Musou franchise, especially Dynasty Warriors. He's 2nd in most Dynasty Warriors cover art appearances with titles such as DW3, DW3:XL, and DW8:XL. Alongside Zhao Yun, he has appeared in a handful of Musou titles outside of Dynasty Warriors and was even referenced in Hyrule Warriors with a black and red recolor of Volga. Throughout the games, Lu Bu happens to be an antagonist for most of Dynasty Warriors' story modes aside from his own and Jin's (though that is because Jin's story mode happens long after Lu Bu's death), and he wields a halberd, which has been the strongest weapon throughout Dynasty Warriors and also not a weapon that anyone wields in Smash yet. Ultimate could certainly add some more antagonists to the roster, and while it could be a nightmare for the competitive scene, we haven't had a character that's intentionally made to have an incredibly strong moveset like Lu Bu in various Warriors games. There's only 1 question to ask: will Smash provide Lu Bu a decent challenge?

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I support. Zhao Yun is hardly deserving of anything in his home series, I don't want to see him rep DW in Smash.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Lu Bu is great, I'd be 100% down for him. His brutal style and halberd would stand out quite a bit in smash too.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Let's just hope we're lucky with this
  • Add Ryu Hayabusa as DLC in Fighters Pass Vol. 2
  • A few years we have Smash Ultimate Deluxe and add in Ayane in the base game
  • Yes I said base game because if we're even more lucky, similar to how POKKEN DX have DLC, let's add Lu Bu as DLC as a third Koei-Tecmo rep like Joker (though I would like to see Byleth get revamped similar to how Pokémon Trainer functions, meaning we would get Dimitri as playable)

D

Deleted member

Here's a post from the Zhao Yun Support thread in case you don't follow it:
The English version of the Dynasty Warriors survey is up.

A fan of the #DynastyWarriors series? Thank you for all the love and support over the years! Nows the time to provide us feedback ^^Y.https://t.co/niaNXeXXUi

Receive a special wallpaper for completing the survey!

Survey closes 7/26!#KTfamily #DWSurvey pic.twitter.com/P2AVfbKC9b— KOEI TECMO AMERICA (@KoeiTecmoUS) July 17, 2020
I filled out the survey. The wallpapers aren't much to talk about since it's Zhao Yun's DW2 through DW9 renders once again but rearranged with a gold background, but regardless, I did it just for the sake of it. August 3rd might be a day to keep an eye out for in regards to what new project Omega-Force has planned for Dynasty Warriors' 20th Anniversary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Everyone already knows I support Lu Bu, so this shouldn't be a surprise.
I support Lu Bu for Smash!

We now have a new Hyrule Warriors game coming out, which is the perfect reason to get the strongest warrior from the Musou Series represented in Smash.
Hopefully we will get some good news in the near future...

D

Deleted member

BlackKite's been covering TGS so far, and I saw a random but interesting tweet.

Yeah it's a mobile game but it sure is interesting to see this being a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

What did you guys think of the 20th anniversary stream?
I posted my thoughts on the main announcement on a different thread.

The Dynasty Warriors livestream went live a couple of hours ago, and they unveiled their 2 game reveals.

1 was an official Dynasty Warriors mobile game (which isn't the 1 that's being made by Tencent in China), and the other was Dynasty Warriors 9: Empires.

Here's some notes on DW9:E:

-releasing early 2021 on all platforms including the Switch
-will have Castle Siege battles, Political interactions, and Character Customization
-won't have open world
-Character Creation is based on Nioh 2's and can edit body parts and costume parts in more detail

Personally, I'm pretty excited. The Empires games are honestly really fun, and I 100%'d DW8:E a couple years back. Character Creation being based on Nioh 2's is a huge improvement over the last couple of Empires titles. It's a bit of a shame that Omega-Force decided to drop Open World cause it could have so much potential for an Empires game, but considering the Open World itself was also what people hated about DW9, I guess it makes sense. I'm curious to see how it runs on the Switch thoe.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I will lend my support. I just tried out Lu Bu in Dynasty Warriors 8 and the game is so gosh dang good and satisfying. I've been a fan of the DW formula ever since I played DW Gundam as a kid. I'm happy to say I finally tried out a mainline game and I love it.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I love Dynasty Warriors and Lu Bu is one of the coolest characters in the series. He would be an amazing Smash character and I fully support him. His biggest issue is the fact that he is based on a real person. I’m not sure if his game version is different enough from the historical figure to count as a video game character.

D

Deleted member

I love Dynasty Warriors and Lu Bu is one of the coolest characters in the series. He would be an amazing Smash character and I fully support him. His biggest issue is the fact that he is based on a real person. I’m not sure if his game version is different enough from the historical figure to count as a video game character.
Don't worry about that cause it's not really that big of an issue. Dynasty Warriors is a video game franchise, and the characters in it are Koei-Tecmo's spin on those people. Lu Bu and every playable character in Dynasty Warriors are viable contenders for Smash, and existing way long before video games isn't much of a hassle some people make it out to be.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Don't worry about that cause it's not really that big of an issue. Dynasty Warriors is a video game franchise, and the characters in it are Koei-Tecmo's spin on those people. Lu Bu and every playable character in Dynasty Warriors are viable contenders for Smash, and existing way long before video games isn't much of a hassle some people make it out to be.
I really hope so. If that is true, I think his chances go way up. I think he has remained relevant for a long period of time than Ryu Hyabusa and would definitely give him a run for his money for a Koei rep. Hyabusa is great too but I think Lu Bu is just a more intersting character for Smash. We already have Sheik and Geninja for ninja characters and a ton of sword users. We don't have anyone with a huge polearm for a weapon yet. We are also still a little short on villains even if we are getting better in that area. If we get Lu Bu, I'm really hoping we get something closer to his DW7 or DW8 outfits instead of DW9.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So, fun question. Which of the Dynasty Warriors games have you all played? I've been playing Dynasty Warriors 8 recently and I managed to try out Warriors Orochi 4 since my best friend owns it now and we've played it and 8 multiple times.

But the Warriors game that I've actually been playing a lot and is my favorite Musou game is this:

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam - Wikipedia

Dynasty Warriors but in giant mechs (or mobile suits as they are called). Not many people seem to know this sub-series, which is a shame because even if you don't know anything about Gundam, you can still enjoy the mobile suit designs and the games do a decent job at introducing the characters and stories. These are slightly older DW games so they aren't as polished as say, DW 8, but the giant robot aspect makes the game more flashy and it feels even more awesome to take down waves of mechs inside of a mobile suit.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So, fun question. Which of the Dynasty Warriors games have you all played? I've been playing Dynasty Warriors 8 recently and I managed to try out Warriors Orochi 4 since my best friend owns it now and we've played it and 8 multiple times.

But the Warriors game that I've actually been playing a lot and is my favorite Musou game is this:

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam - Wikipedia

Dynasty Warriors but in giant mechs (or mobile suits as they are called). Not many people seem to know this sub-series, which is a shame because even if you don't know anything about Gundam, you can still enjoy the mobile suit designs and the games do a decent job at introducing the characters and stories. These are slightly older DW games so they aren't as polished as say, DW 8, but the giant robot aspect makes the game more flashy and it feels even more awesome to take down waves of mechs inside of a mobile suit.
I’ve played every mainline Dynasty Warriors game except for 1 and 9. I’ve also played every mainline Samurai Warriors and Warriors Orochi 1-3 as well as a few of the X-treme Legends games but I don’t specifically remember which ones (I think it was 3 and 4). For the spin-offs, I’ve played both Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Persona 5 Strikers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires
Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends
Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires

I've played a lot of Empires games cause I love character customization as I can make all sorts of OCs, and I also 100%'d DW8:E on Steam after over 200 hours. You can probably see I'm fairly excited to see how DW9: Empires fares.

As far as non-DW titles go:
Warriors Orochi 2
Warriors Orochi 3 (and 3 Ultimate)

Also for fun, a trailer for the Dynasty Warriors movie dropped a few days ago:
There hasn't been any official trailers of this movie since like 2 years ago. From the trailer, it looks bonkers, which can be either really really good or really really rough. I'm in no mood to watch movies, but if I somehow manage to get around to watching this, I hope it's entertaining as'f.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
"Oh no! It's... Lu Bu!" Cries Olimar. I support Lu Bu. After having said that for Nobunaga Oda (I had reservations about historical figures), I am now willing to support Dynasty or Samurai Warriors characters...

and here is a final smash: Lu Bu saddles Red Hare after he lands next to Lu Bu, enabling him to run and jump across the stage at high speed and run into opponents to launch them. During this time, they have the following attacks:

AAAAAA: Up to six consecutive swings of Lu Bu's spear.
A (hold): A single, charged swing of Lu Bu's spear.
B: Lu Bu is equipped with a limited number of arrows he can use through the match, and he can also use them during his final smash.
A+B: Red Hare stomps in front of him, burying a grounded opponent.
You must smash input the opposite direction you are facing to turn around.

The final smash concludes with Lu Bu dismounting, and Red Hair jumping off screen.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Now that Ryu Hyabusa’s chances are up in the air, that might open the door for another Koei rep. I feel like Dynasty Warriors is more than deserving of a place in Smash and has proven to be an important part of gaming history. Age of Calamity was even Nintendo’s big holiday title last year. I think that Lu Bu would be one of the most exciting newcomers and would be a great fit for Smash.

Nova7087

Smash Rookie
I never played a Dynasty Warriors game except for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity and that game made me love Impa a lot due to her moveset and design (Which explains my PFP). I also loved Fire Emblem Three Houses a lot (Marianne is best girl) But I'm gonna have a rant in this thread about how stupid it is of a Dynasty Warriors rep being extremely obscure in Smash speculation.

Dynasty Warriors is Koei Tecmo's flagship franchise that sold over 21 million copies and has nine mainline games + numerous of expansions and spin offs. DW also made other games and anime franchises like One Piece and Persona have their own musou games. DW has made the musou genre very popular and successful, especially in Japan. DW is also the reason why Koei Tecmo and Nintendo are in a deep relationship. Age of Calamity and Three Houses are two of the Switch's top exclusives of all time with AOC being the most sold musou game and FE3H being the most sold and popular FE game. Two of those games were co-developed by Omega Force (DW's main developers) and the said games use the same engine that DW uses. Many Nintendo fans (even Koei Tecmo's president) also want a musou game utilizing the Super Mario universe.

Smash fans who speculate a lot always think a character is likely of becoming a Smash fighter due to a 3rd party company making strong deals with Nintendo. Crash, Rayman, Hayabusa, Doomguy and Master Chief are at the top of Smash speculation because the companies who own the said characters have made great deals with the big N. By now, Smash fans would speculate a Dynasty Warriors character coming to Smash because of the franchise being the reason why Nintendo and Koei are in a relationship, right...?

They're not doing that, sadly. As I said before, DW is obscure in Smash speculation. This means that if a DW character got into Smash, almost every Nintendo fan (who only play Nintendo games) would be very confused about who the DW rep is and what Dynasty Warriors is. That also leads to them being disappointed, which is kind of fine. But they would be toxic about it how the DW rep isn't "hype" and it's not the character they wanted. Just like how they reacted to Hero, Terry, Kazuya, Pyra/Myhtra, Byleth, the ARMS rep and probably Sephiroth and Joker. The said characters were never that popular in speculation but they all had reasons of them being DLC characters.

Joker: Smash Ultimate's menus and Finasl Smash cut-ins taking cues from Persona 5 and Sakurai being a P5 fanboy.
Hero: Dragon Quest being the reason why JRPGs are successful.
Terry: Sakurai bodied casuals in KOF which made him to make a casual fighting game that would become Smash Bros.
Byleth: Nintendo wanting to promote FE more. Nintendo has full control on who gets in Smash as confirmed by Sakurai.
Min Min and Pyra/Mythra: Sakurai said that he wanted a ARMS and Xenoblade 2 character in Ultimate. There were many DLC slots for the characters from the two said games to be included.
Sephiroth: FFVII had incomplete content despite Smash being allowed to include one of Square's biggest JRPGs as a Challenger Pack (Dragon Quest)
Kazuya: The Heihachi Mii would've killed off chances of a TEKKEN rep in Smash but Rex's Mii didn't kill off Pyra/Mythra. TEKKEN is Bamco's biggest Fighting Game franchise (also the 3rd best selling fighting game right under Smash Bros. and Street Fighter) and the same company that co-developed Smash 4 and Ultimate.

A Dynasty Warriors rep can blend well with the said characters above. Dynasty Warriors is the reason why Nintendo and Koei have a great relationship yet DW is never brought up in speculation. Just like the said DLC characters as they had strong chances of them joining Smash despite the speculation scene never noticing that. Smash speculators (including me) are the same people who make endless character predictions, fan rules and long threads about how X can join Smash, thinking that they're video game know-it-alls. Yet, they never bring up about Dynasty Warriors in Smash.

AND they're the same people who keep bringing up Ryu Hayabusa, who comes from Ninja Gaiden, a franchise that's also owned by Koei Tecmo. People think Hayabusa is likely of joining Smash because of him being a NES icon, Nintendo X Koei and the Ninja Gaiden collection that came to Switch. Is that it? I'm not sure if Ninja Gaiden and Dynasty Warriors are evenly comparable. Ninja Gaiden is iconic for the NES era, the franchise sold over 7 million copies and Nintendo X Koei. Dynasty Warriors isn't that iconic towards Nintendo fans but the franchise sold over 21 million copies, created the musou genre and the reason why Nintendo X Koei exists. I don't know how Smash speculators are not noticing this despite the endless and common speculation threads and videos they make. It just doesn't make any sense.

I don't really think a Dynasty Warriors rep would be Challenger Pack 11. I think it's going to be Rayman instead due to him having a lot of strong evidence. Sakurai has said many times that CP11 is Ultimate's very last fighter inclusion and no more will come after that. If CP11 is not going to be a Dynasty Warriors rep, then that would really suck in regards to Nintendo and Koei's relationship. I'm not sure if Byleth counts as a Koei Tecmo rep since FE3H is a first party game (Koei's trademark isn't shown in the list of other game companies' trademarks that are shown right after when a Smash trailer ends). I mean, are they really going to end Smash's DLC lineup without including a rep from one of Nintendo's most supportive 3rd party partners? That would really really suck.

Unless, Sakurai trolls us with a bonus character after CP11 and it's a Koei Tecmo rep that would most likely be from Dynasty Warriors (Like that would ever happen lol).

I had to get this rant out of my chest. I just find it so stupid how a DW rep is never speculated that much despite the amount of Smash speculations threads and videos. I doubt the speculation scene would ever notice about Dynasty Warriors since they keep bringing the same characters that are always shunned over official character reveals they never saw coming (except for Banjo and Steve).

If a Koei Tecmo character who comes from Dynasty Warriors doesn't join Smash after the last character, then that would really be undeserving and would make me feel bad for the DW franchise and its fans.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I never played a Dynasty Warriors game except for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity and that game made me love Impa a lot due to her moveset and design (Which explains my PFP). I also loved Fire Emblem Three Houses a lot (Marianne is best girl) But I'm gonna have a rant in this thread about how stupid it is of a Dynasty Warriors rep being extremely obscure in Smash speculation.

Dynasty Warriors is Koei Tecmo's flagship franchise that sold over 21 million copies and has nine mainline games + numerous of expansions and spin offs. DW also made other games and anime franchises like One Piece and Persona have their own musou games. DW has made the musou genre very popular and successful, especially in Japan. DW is also the reason why Koei Tecmo and Nintendo are in a deep relationship. Age of Calamity and Three Houses are two of the Switch's top exclusives of all time with AOC being the most sold musou game and FE3H being the most sold and popular FE game. Two of those games were co-developed by Omega Force (DW's main developers) and the said games use the same engine that DW uses. Many Nintendo fans (even Koei Tecmo's president) also want a musou game utilizing the Super Mario universe.

Smash fans who speculate a lot always think a character is likely of becoming a Smash fighter due to a 3rd party company making strong deals with Nintendo. Crash, Rayman, Hayabusa, Doomguy and Master Chief are at the top of Smash speculation because the companies who own the said characters have made great deals with the big N. By now, Smash fans would speculate a Dynasty Warriors character coming to Smash because of the franchise being the reason why Nintendo and Koei are in a relationship, right...?

They're not doing that, sadly. As I said before, DW is obscure in Smash speculation. This means that if a DW character got into Smash, almost every Nintendo fan (who only play Nintendo games) would be very confused about who the DW rep is and what Dynasty Warriors is. That also leads to them being disappointed, which is kind of fine. But they would be toxic about it how the DW rep isn't "hype" and it's not the character they wanted. Just like how they reacted to Hero, Terry, Kazuya, Pyra/Myhtra, Byleth, the ARMS rep and probably Sephiroth and Joker. The said characters were never that popular in speculation but they all had reasons of them being DLC characters.

Joker: Smash Ultimate's menus and Finasl Smash cut-ins taking cues from Persona 5 and Sakurai being a P5 fanboy.
Hero: Dragon Quest being the reason why JRPGs are successful.
Terry: Sakurai bodied casuals in KOF which made him to make a casual fighting game that would become Smash Bros.
Byleth: Nintendo wanting to promote FE more. Nintendo has full control on who gets in Smash as confirmed by Sakurai.
Min Min and Pyra/Mythra: Sakurai said that he wanted a ARMS and Xenoblade 2 character in Ultimate. There were many DLC slots for the characters from the two said games to be included.
Sephiroth: FFVII had incomplete content despite Smash being allowed to include one of Square's biggest JRPGs as a Challenger Pack (Dragon Quest)
Kazuya: The Heihachi Mii would've killed off chances of a TEKKEN rep in Smash but Rex's Mii didn't kill off Pyra/Mythra. TEKKEN is Bamco's biggest Fighting Game franchise (also the 3rd best selling fighting game right under Smash Bros. and Street Fighter) and the same company that co-developed Smash 4 and Ultimate.

A Dynasty Warriors rep can blend well with the said characters above. Dynasty Warriors is the reason why Nintendo and Koei have a great relationship yet DW is never brought up in speculation. Just like the said DLC characters as they had strong chances of them joining Smash despite the speculation scene never noticing that. Smash speculators (including me) are the same people who make endless character predictions, fan rules and long threads about how X can join Smash, thinking that they're video game know-it-alls. Yet, they never bring up about Dynasty Warriors in Smash.

AND they're the same people who keep bringing up Ryu Hayabusa, who comes from Ninja Gaiden, a franchise that's also owned by Koei Tecmo. People think Hayabusa is likely of joining Smash because of him being a NES icon, Nintendo X Koei and the Ninja Gaiden collection that came to Switch. Is that it? I'm not sure if Ninja Gaiden and Dynasty Warriors are evenly comparable. Ninja Gaiden is iconic for the NES era, the franchise sold over 7 million copies and Nintendo X Koei. Dynasty Warriors isn't that iconic towards Nintendo fans but the franchise sold over 21 million copies, created the musou genre and the reason why Nintendo X Koei exists. I don't know how Smash speculators are not noticing this despite the endless and common speculation threads and videos they make. It just doesn't make any sense.

I don't really think a Dynasty Warriors rep would be Challenger Pack 11. I think it's going to be Rayman instead due to him having a lot of strong evidence. Sakurai has said many times that CP11 is Ultimate's very last fighter inclusion and no more will come after that. If CP11 is not going to be a Dynasty Warriors rep, then that would really suck in regards to Nintendo and Koei's relationship. I'm not sure if Byleth counts as a Koei Tecmo rep since FE3H is a first party game (Koei's trademark isn't shown in the list of other game companies' trademarks that are shown right after when a Smash trailer ends). I mean, are they really going to end Smash's DLC lineup without including a rep from one of Nintendo's most supportive 3rd party partners? That would really really suck.

Unless, Sakurai trolls us with a bonus character after CP11 and it's a Koei Tecmo rep that would most likely be from Dynasty Warriors (Like that would ever happen lol).

I had to get this rant out of my chest. I just find it so stupid how a DW rep is never speculated that much despite the amount of Smash speculations threads and videos. I doubt the speculation scene would ever notice about Dynasty Warriors since they keep bringing the same characters that are always shunned over official character reveals they never saw coming (except for Banjo and Steve).

If a Koei Tecmo character who comes from Dynasty Warriors doesn't join Smash after the last character, then that would really be undeserving and would make me feel bad for the DW franchise and its fans.
I don't necessarily agree with the last paragraph but I agree that Dynasty Warriors is criminally underrated in speculation. Many people write it off because of the characters being based off real people but what the naysayers don't realize is that the DW cast are exaggerated versions of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms incarnations which themselves take their own liberties separate from their real life characters. So basically the characters are practically original.

Last edited:

Nova7087

Smash Rookie
Koei Tecmo were able to bank on Dynasty Warriors without any licensing issues and Zhao Yun appeared in a Warriors crossover along with many other KT icons in Warriors All-Stars. That means there wouldn't be any licensing issues of including a DW rep in Smash.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Lu Bu is one of my most wanted characters for Smash. I definitely agree that Dynasty Warriors is more than deserving of a spot in Smash. The games also have phenomenal soundtracks that would be amazing to hear in Smash. Warriors Orochi 3 even has its own version of the Ninja Gaiden theme that I imagine would likely come with any Warriors rep.

Top Bottom