• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can and Special Move Talk

TBFish

Smash Rookie
Spent the day playing around with Duck Hunt, here's what I got. Not all of it's new, even new to this game, and it's hardly comprehensive, but it's still all helpful:

Clay Pigeon:
-The Zapper will fire a single shot behind it until the it lands/hits someone, then it'll connect. Different from the trail of shots from Sm4sh.
-Since the shots don't hit the clay pigeon as reliably, if it comes out b/c you accidentally moved while trying to move the can you're SOL for longer.
-The explosion/shrapnel is bigger and better

Gunman:
-Faster recovery, which is a godsend.
-Take longer to become available if hit. Not new, but good to keep in mind.
-Pics from training mode showing off the ranges, now that you can see them easily: https://imgur.com/a/8W7eeNA

Duck Jump:
-The window to perform an action is about halfway up the lift and just before its max range, right before the Duck's eyes go wide (this game has great character animation doesn't it). Pics of the lowest and highest window to act: https://imgur.com/a/EBOAeaB
-This is a huge buff, especially with directional air dodges. Potential for surprise kills if they're expecting a dodge (like a Dair or a can bounced off a wall)
-Without holding any direction it'll move DH forward 5 units (meters? feet? inches?)
-Will take you about 9 units horizontally before you begin your descent
-Changing direction will shorten that significantly, so make sure you don't start the UpB in the wrong direction

THE CAN:
-Oh, the can. The best special in the game.
-Shooting the can near DH causes them to duck and cover now, but only when DH is on the ground.
-8 shots by the zapper then it'll start smoking.
-Same for regular attacks*, 8 hits then it'll start smoking. These all add up together, so hitting it w/a full side-smash, then shooting it 5 times will cause it to start smoking.
*But it's different with Utilt? Juggling it causes it to start smoking at 6 hits, at least when I was playing with it. Might be the timer, might be something else.
[New game mode idea: Can Volleyball]
-Measured the can's lifespan with a stopwatch, got ~10 seconds. (can't measure it exactly w/out being able to record video)
-Each hit will move the can less and less, including height. Here's the can moving along with the zapper each time it touches the ground, and each time Utilt hits: https://imgur.com/a/Bkkb9u0 & https://imgur.com/a/e0AmurY
-The final hit before it starts smoking, whether by Zapper or Dog, will send the can farther than it normally would go. It's different for each attack, but for the Zapper it's about what the initial toss is and just under double for others (I can't record video so I didn't measure it).
-You can now hit the can with the Zapper while it's smoking
-This is all pretty much old news, time for the good stuff

-The BIGGEST change for this character is being able to hit the can in the air.
-I would guess the reason it's floatier and is launched higher initially is to take that into consideration. B/c while it's a little harder to maneuver it with just the zapper, it's MUCH easier to position it for an aerial with this change. (It also can stuff approaches from the air better now)
-For instance, Can>Fair is an easy BnB you can do, especially with the new jump/attack shortcut. Can>Dash Attack is another easy one.
-One that's a tiny bit trickier: Can>Dash>Utilt, which you can do now that you can cancel anything from the dash. This'll launch the can straight up, covering more space. But be careful which direction your facing for the UTilt, since it'll change which direction the Zapper moves it. Lot of potential for shenanigans with this one.
-Here's a pic that shows when you can 1st act out of the can animation: https://i.imgur.com/JUSflsT.jpg
-Jump>Can launches it high enouch to basically do whatever the hell you want with it, and is an easy way to set up the can for a Bair.
-The first Zapper hit, b/c it's so floaty, is another reliable way to get a Bair in on the can.
-I can't tell if Can>side-switch/pivot>shorthop>Bair works. Could be I can't figure out the timing, not sure. But if it does, that's an incredible way to set up the can to come back to you.
-I'm noticing that sometimes when Fair connects, it barely affects the can's trajectory, or even knocks it downwards. I'm gonna play with that some more.

-Ledgeguarding with the can gets a little wackier too, but I need to look into it more.
-Uair launches it up, of course, but remember that the can will come back down too, covering your recovery longer that it would just falling down.
-Tho if the can is on its last hit, it'll fly high up and explode before it comes back down. Relevant since Uair does 3 hits. Could be a problem, could be a showy way to take a stock.
-The spike on the Dair will knock it down, fast. I'd bet hitting it with the Zapper while someone air-dodges out of the way could cause a lot of trouble, but I'm too bad at this game to get it consistently.

Basically: The can is even better and more versatile than it was in Sm4sh. I'm really excited for this character, I keep asking myself, "Can I do that?" and the answer most of the time seems to be "Yes." Like being able to hit it with 3 Fairs before it touches the ground (I bet you could do more). I think they have a lot of potential, and hope they see more playtime in this than Sm4sh. Still have so much to learn about this game...

TBFish

Smash Rookie
I hope a couple bits of this are helpful or informative, or at the very least that it's reinforcing info that's good to know.

If anybody has Ideas or Stuff to try, I'd love to hear it. Labbing this character is fun as hell--and I want to learn as much as I can.

Gouloudrouioul

Smash Rookie
Duck hunt feels very very different...
He was my main in Smash 4, but in this game I don't really understand how to play him yet.

Thanks for all these infos :)

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Feel like Sm4sh DH was more reliant on can tricks than Ultimate's iteration of the character, though that certainly isn't saying the special has lost its usefulness--still the best projectile in the game ;). DH seems a lot more ground based and reliant on the gunmen for coverage. Honestly enjoy this version of the team than 4.
Can the can still be sent high/back in any way like 4's dash sour-spot could?

Salty dog

Smash Rookie
Good post man. Ill fill in what you missed as i have been labbing this character and hit up online and i have the can down to a science at this point heres what i found.
>How launching works
Remember in smash 4 how which way the can is moving, thats the direction the opponent launches? Im sure as many of you already figured out, bairing the can and sending the can left (im assuming your facing right and opponent is facing left from here on out) thus you expect them to hit your dude left for a nice up air but instead they go to the right? Heres how launching works. Its not random nor based off of player proximity to the hit person. Itswhere you hit the opponent with the can. So for example, if i hit mario square in the nose no matter which way the can is going, he will be launched to the right, or backwards. However, if you hit him on his back, he will be launched to the left or forwards.
>can throwing
Again as many of you have already figured put. Can throwing is super awkward in this game as now you are forced to pummel. Thankfully dhd got a huge pummel buff so now this crap does 20 damage easy. Anyways how do i do this? Its really wierd but simple. The easiest way i found to get maximum damage at around 120 is to knock the can out in front of you, then stop pressing b to throw and toss them, then mash that b button like a madman as you get 4 extra hits while cans smoking and profit from the results. By the end, they will have around 150 damage on them. Another one thats actually OP is downthrow. DHD has a hoohah in this game if you down throw buffer up air. How this one works is grab, can until its about to arch over, dthrow, then MAKE SURE THE CAN IS POSITIONED IN FRONT OF YOU to cover if they DI away (approximatly a 75 angle) this will force them to either DI in or get hit by can. This is really good up until around 150. Honeslty i been doing dthrow can for this exact reason in smash4 but now in ultimate with how buffed dthrow got, there is 0 reason to do uthrow can anymore.
>whats the big deal about this
Can ****s going to get really percise. By the end of ultimate your going to be more percise than a spec ops sniper to get the results you want. Lets say your baiting Mario for a can combo, but hes at 120 and ledge of battlefield. Now can wont have the power to kill of the top h
yet but will certantly kill of the side. So now you have to position the can while throwing, to hit mario on the left half of his body so he will go to the right and die. The easiest way i found to do this is to chuck the guy way way early and then rise the can up to him once he starts to slow down a bit. If your lucky, you might snag their double jump, if they panic and you throw too early and cans not there, they will airdodge leading up into a punish and hopefully a kill. Honestly its way easier to kill off the top.
Another situation is edgeguarding for a setup into an aireal or stage spike with the can for an early kill. In this case, the easiest way i found is to bair can and either rise it up onto the opponents back if they go high, or drop it on their back. I only got one can upair in my session that killed. its way stupid hard to get in this game.
Also with Utilt and uair can. the can will always go the opposite direction you are facing, so if you are facing right, can will go left when hit with the gun
While im here, might as well add that dhd has finally gotten a good jab lock, 1st and 2nd hit of jab will lock for a tech chase oppertunity.

Top Bottom