• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can a person really have "Multiple Mains?"

Zinger314

Smash Cadet
I see many people say they will main 2-4 characters...but the term "multiple mains" in itself is an oxymoron.

People who usually "main" multiple charactets usually mean that they have one main, and several alts.

Am I missing something?

Baka_Shade

Smash Apprentice
Playing 4 characters out of 35 would make those one's main characters, yes.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Basically you have a few alternates if people start to predict your playstyle. Kinda like in CvS2, I have 2 seperate teams depending on who's at the arcade at that point in time.

It is a bit of an oxymoron though. It should be Main & Alts.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
No, you cannot have more than one main. You can play more than one character, but the person you play the best and/or are most comfortable with is your main. /thread

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
Lock please? Seriously, I wish there was a way to automatically ignore every post by people who joined in 2008. This is getting ridiculous.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When people actually HAVE the game, they will separate the multiple characters they "Main' to their main main, and Alternates

People are using a more broad expression of the word since they don't have the game

Zinger314

Smash Cadet
Lock please? Seriously, I wish there was a way to automatically ignore every post by people who joined in 2008. This is getting ridiculous.
Eer, what? How the heck is this either trolling or spam?

It's a serious question. I have a legit question, and I don't understand the rationale.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Eer, what? How the heck is this either trolling or spam?

It's a serious question. I have a legit question, and I don't understand the rationale.
It's not really a serious question and really has nothing to do with Smash Bros.

It has more to do with people and their misuse of words...

It's still irrelevant and spam

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
Actually there is a way to do that. It's called "don't reply to threads started by people who joined in 2008."

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I thought a mains were characters that you were best with. So it seems like if you can play at the highest level with 6 different characters, they are all your mains.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So you'd call every thread about L-Canceling and Wavedashing spam, correct?

All these terms are related to SSBB. It's on topic.
They should be because they are not in Brawl.

Those would be considered Spam as well

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
To be good at Smash, you'll need a main as well as others you play very frequently to help you against counters to your main. I'd say that's maining more than one character. It's just a general term used to describe who you play most often as and are best with. I'm going to main Meta Knight and Toon Link for example. Ken in Melee could be thought of as maining Marth and Fox.

General Diddy

Smash Apprentice
it doesn't really matter, but IMO, 2 mains tops, but your main is the character your most skilled with, so chances are you only have one. *cough*BACK UPS*cough*

YSM

Smash Apprentice
Does the word used really matter? Is there REALLY a difference between me saying "I will main PT, Snake, and Lucario" and "I will main PT and alt with Snake and Lucario"? It means the same thing, it's just easier to say "main" rather than "main and alt". And really, if someone uses more than one character equally, what else would you say?

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
And so the SRK-style join date bashing begins :laugh:

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
I wish there was a way to ignore posts that are irrelevant to the topic. This is getting ridiculous.

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
Your question has to do with the classification of how much someone plays a character. There is no valuable discussion to be had, or any new way to look at the topic at hand, so it doesn't need its own thread, not to mention that the answer to this question is completely inconsequential. Honestly, just wait around and read threads before posting in them, let alone posting threads themselves. There's been a retardedly high number of asinine topics today, because people haven't looked at existing threads to get answers. It's february 2008, why the hell do we have a thread about someone being incapable of short hopping (in general brawl discussion?!), this waste of space, and 3 locked threads on the first page? Because people who are new to this site can't get it through their heads to, forgive the phrase, lurk before posting.

Andydark

Smash Journeyman
Bourbonnais IL||I consider myself competent. AIM:
I'd say I use Peach, Dr. Mario, the IC, Puff, Zelda, Samus, and Ness.

In order from best to worst it seems to be Peach>IC>Puff=Zelda=D. M.=Samus>Ness (I haven't gotten used to him exactly yet)

So call it what you like? I say that I main Peach/Puff/IC and Zelda.

A manlier squad can not be found.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Your question has to do with the classification of how much someone plays a character. There is no valuable discussion to be had, or any new way to look at the topic at hand, so it doesn't need its own thread, not to mention that the answer to this question is completely inconsequential. Honestly, just wait around and read threads before posting in them, let alone posting threads themselves. There's been a retardedly high number of asinine topics today, because people haven't looked at existing threads to get answers. It's february 2008, why the hell do we have a thread about someone being incapable of short hopping (in general brawl discussion?!), this waste of space, and 3 locked threads on the first page? Because people who are new to this site can't get it through their heads to, forgive the phrase, lurk before posting.
I would siggy that but it's too long.

I main Kirby and Falco.
I main Kirby and alt Falco.

Really, does it affect your vocabulary that much that a definition must fit at all times?
I would understand something that's cliched and overused, but it's easier to say 'main' then 'main and alt', and there's no textbook definition for a Smasher's 'main'.

knightofsouls

Smash Cadet
Its possible to have multiple mains, because your main is usually the char your the best as, if your equally as skilled as that handful of chars, then they are all your main.

T^2

Smash Cadet
I view multiple mains as saying that that person is comfortable with those characters to play them in tournament. I play puff and fox in melee, and i consider them both mains because I feel comfortable enough to play both for the enitrety of my pools. Not that I would, but I could and still say that i played with my best option. Just my opinion on this

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
The real question is: Does it really matter? If someone wants to use multiple characters, and claim them all as their mains, then so be it. I don't see what the problem is.

Crying over nothing, man.
Gotta agree with this guy, you can have more than one character you love to use for the game;)

Top Bottom