• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can’t beat good Ganons

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I think Ganon, when played by a player at equal or above my skill level, is probably the character i struggle against most. Shield one of his attacks? Thats half of my shield durability gone. Try to punish a whiffed smash attack? Oops, he instantly perfectly spot dodges. His down b is almost instant as well, approaching from above leads to getting smacked by a nice juicy up air or fair.

Keep in mind, I am not suggesting he is broken. He obviously has glaring weakness, but I cannot for the life of me exploit them. I literally don’t know what to do while playing as characters that need to get very close. I would really, really appreciate some guidance for a good Ganon main.

Last edited:

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Being a Ganon player, I absolutely hate when people rush my ass down. Ganon's quickest non grab move (Jab) is 7f, so getting people off can be difficult. He's also got quite a rubbish and predictable recovery, so edguarding him should be no problem. When I see people backroll a lot, I go for Wizard Foot, but I've yet to see them bait it out, so try that too. HMU in DMs if you wanna run some friendlies, maybe you'll pick something up.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Being a Ganon player, I absolutely hate when people rush my *** down. Ganon's quickest non grab move (Jab) is 7f, so getting people off can be difficult. He's also got quite a rubbish and predictable recovery, so edguarding him should be no problem. When I see people backroll a lot, I go for Wizard Foot, but I've yet to see them bait it out, so try that too. HMU in DMs if you wanna run some friendlies, maybe you'll pick something up.
Wow, I didn't even get a notification for this post. I will absolutely take yo up on that offer. I got a day off today so I'm free anytime today, tomorrow I got work. Hope to play you soon!

Dimir

Smash Rookie
I know this thread is a month old, but maybe I can help.

-Be very aware of your tech-ing and rolling habits. Hard-reading your rolls is a wet dream for Ganon players.
-Try to get a feel for when/how the Ganon uses down-b. If the Ganon leans on down-b a lot, you should be able to shield it and then punish a reasonable amount of the time.
-Don't be afraid. Ganon smells your fear.
-Although Ganon's recovery is at an all-time best in this game, it still kinda sucks relative to the rest of the cast. Run off stage and gimp that fool.
-Use projectiles. Play lame and defensive (to an extent. If you are constantly running away, a good Ganon will catch on and start over-shooting his moves to cover the area he thinks you will run to)

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
You have already identified situations where good Ganons win out. What you need to do now is theorize solutions and test them out.

Examples:
-You mentioned high shield damage. Sounds like you need to learn his ranges and space him out. The attacks that do a lot of shield damage are slow and should be reactable anyway, which also means that perfect shielding and spot dodging are still on the table as well.
-You mentioned Ganon spot dodging immediately after a laggy attack so you can't punish. If you're fighting any player (regardless of character) that does this, then try delaying your punish so it hits immediately after the spot dodge or put a lasting hitbox there to start up a string.
-DownB isn't instant and is easily punishable if you're not too close or aren't doing something that it can easily interrupt. The hitbox is small, and the ending lag is huge, so if you're fighting a Ganon that abuses downB then space at the end of downB range or bait it out with something and in many cases you can shield>punish, retreat>punish, or even interrupt it with an aerial. Even if they are good at spacing the edge cancel to mitigate some of the end lag, you can literally shield or spot-dodge and turn around grab them right out of the air.

I hope these ideas help you not only do better vs Ganondorf, but help you solve future problems you run into.

Vivir es morir;
Morir es vivir.

Top Bottom