• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Call it--the one newcomer you think will make it...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If I'm supposed to pick a character that I think has a better chance than what people give credit, then probably Snip & Clip from Snipperclips.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Pfffft, look at "Mr Risky" over here, boy, if you're right then I'll be flabbergasted! I don't think I've ever seen someone pick those :p

Cmon, give us the spicy hot take. Give us the long shot.:seuss:

Wonder Red and Phoenix Wright :smash:

Roberk

Smash Champion

Y'all are sleeping on Amelia N. She's by far one of the best WTF characters, for obvious reasons.

Who? Amelia N. is the fictional Nintendo Switch support assistant who shows up on the News screen on the Switch from time to time. While games and developers have their logos and just write ads out for articles on News, Nintendo uses Amelia N. to tell Switch users about any new features that have been brought to the console. She's featured as their profile pic and the articles are written as if Amelia is telling us herself.

Why? It can't get more first-party than a company support assistant. Amelia will show no bias to any franchise as she's her own thing that isn't in competition with said franchises. She's also the most relevant character to Smash on Switch and Switch owners in general, as the new Smash will be on the Switch and every Switch has Amelia N. built into its News page.

How? As I said earlier, Amelia N. is as first-party as you can get. Probably being part of the development for the Switch, her beginning and existence even as a concept could've existed during the Smash Switch development time leading to her fitting into the schedule, making her inclusion easier. Sakurai has been known to make unique movesets for WTF characters before like Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt. Amelia throwing office supplies and using various parts of the Switch software in her attacks is something that I could think of off of the top of my head and I have no doubt that Sakurai can elevate Amelia to her full potential as a fighter.

While most of this is a joke, I could see a certain timeline where Amelia is revealed in a trailer and nobody was expecting it... except me. I know that Wii Fit Trainer represented an important part of the Wii with Wii Fit and those games sold extremely well so her case is a bit different than Amelia's, but all bets are off when it comes to non-fighting characters being fighters.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I have 3 characters, all of them being pretty unlikely, yet kinda make sense to be in the game.

Character 1: Nintendo Labo

After Mr Game & Watch, R.O.B. and WiiFit Trainer, this is the new WTF character. He will be represented as a robot made out of cardboard, and transforms into different shapes depending on the attack you are doing.
I think it makes sense to include a character who advertises a game that's avaliable for the Switch, and it has potential for the unique theme he would be built around; as I said it wouldn't be the first time a character like this is introduced in Smash, but it would be the first time a character made of transformable cardboard makes it in.

Character 2: Mii

No, they aren't customizable anymore, they aren't gunman, fighter and swordman, they are just Mii, based on games such as WiiPlay, WiiSport and other Wii- titles, they represent the Wii generation and not the player anymore; they aren't avatar this time.
Miis aren't a thing on the Switch, and the console doesn't have a Mii Editor bundled, so you can't make your miis like on WiiU and 3DS, this is why I think the old Miis from Smash 3DS and WiiU don't make much sense anymore; though Miis are just too important to the history of Nintendo, and I believe that they will be represented somehow.
If Nintendo Labo is the Wii Fit Trainer of this Smash, Mii would be the Duck Hunt Dog.

Character 3: Adeleine (Kirby)

You know how much I want this character to be in Smash... well, the character was neglected by HAL for many years, basically since 2000 (Kirby 64), and this lowered her popularity and chances of being in Smash over the years.
But this time there is something new: the Dream Friends!
Dream Friends are basically DLC characters for the last Kirby game, Kirby Star Allies. The first update already came out, and included Rick/Kine/Coo, Marx and Gooey. They all represent 1 specific game of the series, and HAL confirmed that in the future, more Dream Friends will be added to the game.
Since Kirby 64 needs to be represented, and since the Artist ability is already in the game, I think that Adeleine will be one of the Dream Friends, it's very likely. This means that she will probably be part of the last Kirby game released, and gives her a chance to appear in Smash as well.
Why Adeleine of all the Dream Friends?
To be honest, I think Adeleine is not the only Dream Friend with chances to appear in Smash, Marx is another possible newcomer, but Marx is more expected, since there is a support thread and it's apparently going well.
People are expecting Bandana Dee to be the newcomer for Kirby, but I think that he's all but confirmed, there are problems with the character, such as the fact that he has no unique gimmicks (aside of a spear, that's not unique enough from a sword IMO), low specials potential, and a final smash would be very odd for him, since it would be out of character for a Waddle Dee (the equivalent of a Goomba/Toad) to have a move that nukes the stage and the players on it (pretty much the reason that kept Toad away from the roster despite his popularity, relevance and playable status in many Mario games).
Just like what happend with Knuckle Joe, very requested character in the Brawl days, included as an assist trophy instead of newcomer despite the popularity, I think Sakurai will do the same thing with Bandana Dee, and as Kirby newcomer he will take characters with more uniqueness and historic value.
Marx is the first that comes to mind, but things may change if Adeleine is announced as a Dream Friend, especially if the announcement is close to E3, when Smash newcomers are usually announced.

Open the spoiler for a more in-depth analysis of why I think this:

We don't know the actual list of Dream Friends yet, but we can speculate it, since they all represent a game, and each main series game has a character getting the spotlight:

Default Dream Friends:
??? (represents Waddle Dees being in every Kirby game apparently): Bandana Waddle Dee
Kirby's Dream Land: King Dedede - already in Smash
Kirby's Adventure: Metaknight - already in Smash

First update:
Kirby's Dream Land 2: Rick/Kine/Coo
Kirby Superstar: Marx
Kirby's Dream Land 3: Gooey

Second Update (speculation):

Kirby Super Star Stacker: Gryll ? (very unlikely, from a spin-off, though seems like HAL is promoting the character a bit lately)
Kirby 64: Adeleine
Kirby 64: Ribbon ? (she's less likely due to her not being a fighting character)
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror: nobody ? (unless they put some recolors from that game, very unlikely)
Kirby Squeak Squad: Daroach

Third Update (speculation, but pretty obvious):
Kirby Return to Dreamland: Magolor
Kirby Triple Deluxe: Taranza
Kirby Planet Robobot: Susie

Possible additional update (maybe):
Kirby Star Allies: the 3 Mage Generals ?

From that list, we can safely exclude Rick/Kine/Coo because they are too odd to be adapted to Smash, they are 3 characters into one, each with limited movements (Coo only moves in air, Rick walks but can't float, Kine is a fish), I think they are just incompatible with Smash.
Gooey was apparently requested for Melee, but that was a lot of years ago, and the character lost its popularity nowadays; it's still well known in the fandom, but people are way more hyped for Marx than him.
So, from the first update, I'd say Marx is the most likely to be in Smash.

About the second update, we can see that Ribbon doesn't really fit well as a fighter, so much that she's not even likely to be a Dream Friend at all; Adeleine makes sense, she can fight and summon creatures by painting them, and was playable in Kirby 64's minigames, along with being playable in the main story in the beta of the game (scrapped at the end, sadly); Daroach makes sense too, but it's too obscure to be a potential newcomer (maybe an assist trophy...).
I say that Adeleine is the most likely newcomer from the second update becasue, while the character may be neglected, she still has a lot of fans, many people request them, even on the official Kirby Twitter, and she's one of the most wanted Dream Friends in most polls online. Adeleine has also potential to represent all the other artists in the series, reference paint/based games such as Rainbow Curse/Canvas Curse, and through summons, she can reference many other characters and popular enemies from the Kirby series.

Of the third wave, Magolor is for sure the one with the biggest chance, while Taranza is not very popular for some reason. Susie I don't know, she's odd, she can't fight herself but she can use mechs, she may be a semiclone of Bowser Jr in Smash, though not many people are requesting her, people are more hyped for Magolor, definitely.

The 3 mage generals aren't "big" enough yet.

So, according to this, Marx, Adeleine and Magolor are all possible, and I would also add Galacta Knight into the mix, he probably won't be a Dream Friend because simply he's not a friend at all (but who knows, Marx is a villain too), but I see him as a potential secret unlockable character, semiclone of Metaknight.

I think, since Marx and Magolor are kinda similar in their role, I think Marx is the one that has more chances, since it's the more popular and more "classic" of the 2, other than being from a game that Sakurai directed himself.
Adeleine, instead, well, since Marx is more likely, why I said Adeleine then...

Because...

...There are other reasons that make Adeleine more likely:
-The Inklings: The Inklings are confirmed as newcomers, they fight by shooting paint. Since the paint particles in combat are one of the new features of this new Smash game, I suppose that they will reuse that feature for more than just one character... this means that playable Shadow Mario may also be a thing in Bowser Jr. final smash, too.
-The Smash Ballot: When the Smash Ballot was a thing, people made several fan-made polls to predict the Ballot's result. From those polls, the result was that Bandana Dee was obviously the most wanted, but Adeleine, Magolor and Galacta Knight got a lot of votes too. If Sakurai must choice a character from the Ballot, assuming what I said about Bandana Dee before and why I think he is unlikely, he will probably choice one between Magolor, Adeleine and Galacta Knight... maybe even more than one (as I said, I'm convinced that Marx will take Magolor's place anyway, they're pretty similar but Marx has more moveset potential and is more unique).

So well, she's very unlikely still, but I don't exclude the possibility that at the end she makes it in the game...
My prediction is that, since Smash 4 didn't add any Kirby character, this time they will add more than one, and they will be Marx, Adeleine, and Galacta Knight (late game unlockable), while I think Bandana Dee will appear in the game in some form, but not as a newcomer (maybe an assist trophy or as part of King Dedede's moveset, or something else).

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hatsune Miku

I feel the unlikelihood and improbability is something Sakurai would do to surprise people.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I am with Morbi on this one. Dragon Ball does have a lot of games with Goku. And it should be easy for a moveset for Goku since a lot of those games are fighting games. And Lucario technically had a movie before appearing in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. The most overrepresented series in Smash (Pokémon) is more famous for the anime. The way the Pokémon say their names came from the anime. R.O.B.'s a toy. As Smash has shown, literally anyone can make it in. Snake and Cloud were more associated with the Playstation. James Bond was planned for Melee but was scrapped when they couldn't get a deal with the movie producers and the actor to use him. Goku's extensive gaming history, the fact that Bandai-Namco (who worked on Smash 4) makes the Dragon Ball games, Goku being the most popular Japanese character (Smash's country of origin), Pokémon's overrepresentation, Bond almost getting into Melee, and past surprise characters for Smash makes Goku a valid candidate. He really should be allowed a thread if Sora (a Disney character) can get a thread.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
Crash Bandicoot. I'm calling it right now. I think that with Crash's revival and being relevant again along with the appearance of his three main games on the Switch, he definitely has a high chance of getting into Smash. I see him being more of a DLC character than a base roster one however. I think that he is the second most likely western third-party character to make it in behind Rayman (who I think could be in the base roster).

Actually to expand upon third-party characters I personally think that Bomberman and Rayman are going to make it to the base roster. As for the DLC, I think it might follow how Smash 4 went: 2nd third-party rep (Lloyd or Sora/Geno), new third-party rep (Crash Bandicoot), and smaller third-party rep (Travis Touchdown).

There are a lot of likely first-party characters like Toad, Dixie, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Decidueye, Sylux, and Spring Man but I'm going to call a few of the less likely.

I think the weird character this time might be Laboman due to Nintendo Labo's increasing popularity. There will probably be someone to represent the GBA era which I think will be.... Isaac. While I heavily prefer Andy and Starfy much more, I think Isaac has the highest chance and demand out of the three. The new classic rep will be either Mike Jones or Takamaru (or both as I personally see them as counterparts of each other). There could be an eshop rep like Dillon or Qbby, but I really want Qbby so I say he'll be in due to having three games and an amiibo. Perhaps Chibi-Robo will make it too.

Clones? Maybe Octolings and Alph.

I don't think any indie character will make it in, but if one does then I'll say it'll definitely be Shovel Knight or Shantae for sure.

Top Bottom