• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Call it--the one newcomer you think will make it...

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
(...Even if it seems unlikely.)

Shortly before the reveal of Wii U/3DS, I thought the Wii Fit Trainer would make it in, but I reneged on that prediction, because it seemed too outlandish. I wish I hadn't, so I could still make that claim that I was right.

Not wanting to make that mistake again, who's the one character you think will make it in, even if no one else thinks so.

Let's give ourselves the opportunity to:

1. Call it. Make your #1 prediction known.

2. Sell it. Make a pitch to convince us that you'll be vindicated.

For myself:

1. Altered Beast

2. Two weeks ago Sega accidentally released a trailer for the Sega Genesis Collection. Switch fans like myself were irked that Switch wasn't a platform. Since they accidentally released it, Sega had to answer questions. When asked about Switch, they got cagey and just said they were focused on the other platforms at this time. That's a real non-committal answer for what should be an easy sell to Switch owners. It should be noted that in the Genesis trailer, Sonic, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, and Altered Beast got top billing.

Despite its lukewarm reception from reviewers, it still has a fair amount of fans. Several years ago, during an interview with Sega's M2, they remarked that many Japanese Twitter users changed their avatar to the werebear after 3D Altered Beast was announced for the 3DS.

The game really is on nearly every classic and post GameCube-era console in some form. It's on Wii (Genesis & Arcade), Genesis compilations, Steam, 3DS, iOS and Android with Sega Forever, and about a dozen older systems, even including the Nintendo Entertainment System. Ignoring that it's a very basic game, it's largely ingrained in the video game culture. In that same M2 interview, the developer said they looked to what Virtual Console games sold well to determine which ones they should enhance for 3DS, and Altered Beast was one of the top.

Two years ago Sega inked a deal with the people who made the Walking Dead to make a film or tv series that included Altered Beast. It hasn't come to fruition yet, but it may be around the corner. Characters from the game have made sporadic cameo appearances, such as the werewolf in Project X-Zone 2 on 3DS, and the antagonist, Neff's rhino form in the Bad-a-non meeting in Wreck-It Ralph:

So with Altered Beast constantly in our video game collective conscience while the tv or movie is on the horizon, what better way for people to take notice than to include him in Smash.

With Sega being oddly non-committal on a game that everyone wants on Switch with Sega Genesis Collection which promotes Altered Beast, Sega having an upcoming Altered Beast film, Sega likely to get another rep. in Smash Switch (I don't count Bayonetta, as she's more beneficial for Nintendo at this point), and Sega perhaps needing a character from their arcade history, I've convinced myself of his inclusion, crazy though it may sound.

He's certainly got a nostalgic quality for us older gamers, but would set up for new fans, and the transforming quality could add a lot to an Altered Beast character.

https://smashboards.com/threads/wise-fwom-your-gwave-altered-beast-for-smash.453847/

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
So we're specifically picking a character who is seen as unlikely?

If this is the case, I pick Mike Jones from Startropics.

Sakurai's been putting retro throwback into the games since Melee when he put in Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, and then later R.O.B., Pit, Duck Hunt...

If he holds to this pattern, it seems likely that Smash 5 will get a new retro character. Most folks seem to think he'll go with Takamaru, and while that one is slightly more likely, I honestly think that Mike is a better choice.

For one, his game was released outside of Japan which is a big get over Takamaru. He's also got a lot more unique stuff to offer. Sure, Ness uses a yo-yo, but I think there's a lot of yo-yo potential that Ness hasn't gone after. In addition, I think that Nintendo isn't wanting to be done with the classic Zelda formula, but at the same time they say that all future Zelda games are going to be in the BotW style.

Back in the day of Startropics' release, it was criticized as being too close to Zelda and not standing sufficiently apart from it. Now would be the time for Nintendo to bring it back if they wanted to keep those kinds of games on the platform but focusing their Zelda team on bigger-world adventures. As Pit shows us, nothing does more for the resurrection of a character and series than Smash Bros representation. Plus, since when has Sakurai made a habit of always being predictable? Note how he got the Inkling reveal out of the way quickly... because we knew they were coming. Hell, he unveiled them before he even unveiled the game itself (kinda). I think this is the kind of curveball that Sakurai would throw, and I think it could be glorious.

Plus I love the idea of just some guy with a regular name being in Smash Bros. "Ganondorf! King Dedede! Palutena! Mike Jones!"

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
So a little while back, I made a support thread for DeMille from Tomato Adventure. At a glance, he sounds like the kind of character that has no chance. The protagonist of a quirky Japan-exclusive RPG for the GBA that's had nothing done with it since its release 16 years ago? ...But I made the thread because I think he does have a chance!

Contrary to what you might think, there's actually a bit of stuff that suggests he may have a shot! Let's go through it.

-During the development of Brawl, there was a poll where Japanese players could submit their suggestions for characters. Check out the results here. Most characters were suggested just once - however, DeMille was among just 22 characters who received multiple requests. Not only that, but both requests for DeMille were quite lengthy and detailed, presenting lots of ideas and possibilities for him in Smash. Here they are, translated into English!

No. 283
Nickname - Spring Breeze
Post Topic - Character Suggestions

The moment I saw the site, I got the same feeling as when I start a new game for the first time, or when I go to a festival. When I told my friends about it over the holidays, it became
a popular topic. I felt that, like festivals, this is a rare event...! I'd like for the veteran character, Zelda, to return. I remember kicking my opponents with the Lightning Kick.

On a different note, please let DeMille, the protagonist of "Tomato Adventure", join as a participating character. I doubt it's possible, but unlike my brother and sister, I'm not giving up yet. Even though suggesting characters is the topic of discussion, there are already so many characters... Despite the cutesy design of the characters and packaging, I think it's a very good and interesting game. There are many bosses, many areas, and lots of enemies to defeat and mysteries to solve! DeMille has lots of crazy adventures, and I want to see that courageous character once again. He's got a lot of Gimmicks, but I think that's OK! Just imagine him grabbing the Smash Ball and using the Tomato Robot Mk. II - thinking about him appearing as a character makes me feel incredibly excited, and he'd be a unique character, using his Gimmicks to fight. He's unique, so it'd be a shame to leave him so obscure. SSBB, let the sun rise for DeMille once again!

Thanks for letting us participate in this event. I'm sorry for writing such a long request while you're busy working. Please keep up the hard work, and be sure to take care of yourself. I'm really looking forward to the game!

No. 246
Nickname - Yes Gimmicker
Post Topic - Character Suggestions

Hello, how are you? I'm writing today to ask if you could please put DeMille, the hero of Tomato Adventure, into Smash Bros. as soon as possible.

...It's probably impossible, I'm sorry.

But after hearing about the new Super Smash Bros. Brawl information, I started to think about DeMille fighting in the world of SSBB. DeMille could fight using many of his colorful Gimmicks. And for his Final Smash, there are many amazing moves he could use (Tomato Robot Mk. II, gluttonous Sofubi, Patharan's Song, etc.) What a thing to imagine! It makes me feel like I'm riding a roller coaster - my heart pounding - just before it reaches the top. It's so exciting that I get knots in my stomach!

DeMille and his game aren't too well-known, but lots of people remember his commercial, "Tomatomatomato Ketchupupu?". Did people think it was a commercial for ketchup or tomatoes? (I did the first few times I saw it.) I think it was a very fun game, and I'm sure that everyone who played it has memories of getting stuck and grinding in the Gimmick Palace, and singing and dancing while listening to the final boss' theme. A few people are probably still singing and dancing to it today!

It would be unfortunate for this "game of ketchup" to fade away. But maybe it could see the light again on the big stage known as SSBB... I doubt he'll have another game, so at the very least, he could be a character in Smash (is there enough time?) Sorry for the long message, and thanks for considering DeMille.

In addition, of the 22 characters that appear multiple times in the results, a whopping 19/22 of them have appeared in Smash in some capacity (as references, stage bosses, etc.) and 8 of them have become playable characters, including Lucas and the Villager. Only 3 remain from this poll that haven't had any reference yet, DeMille being one of them. Smash 5 could be the one that finally finishes off the list!

-Tomato Adventure was developed by AlphaDream, who you may recognize as the developers behind the Mario and Luigi series! They're still very active developers to this day, owned by Nintendo. Tomato Adventure is one of their very few original works before they started making the M&L games, so DeMille could be put in as thanks for their hard work making Nintendo games over the years.

-AlphaDream has been remaking Mario and Luigi games recently. If they decided to go back further and remake Tomato Adventure, DeMille could be put in Smash to promote the remake as well!

-While Tomato Adventure hasn't really shown up again since its release, it was put on the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console in 2015. That means that Nintendo hasn't let it completely fade away!

-GBA is almost 20 years old at this point. It's not really super retro yet, but it's also old enough to be considered a sort of classic console. He could also show up as a character originating from GBA, which there aren't too many of in Smash. He also works as one of those oddball characters that Sakurai likes to throw in - who would expect him?

-He's Japan-exclusive and hasn't been worked with in a long time, but these conditions are true of other characters too. Doesn't seem like too much of a barrier.

-----

Overall, there's actually a decent amount of stuff pointing in his favor! I can admit that he's probably not the most likely, but I'm going to put my foot down and wait for him as we go through the announcements. :p Here's hoping!

Other non-obvious characters I can see happening are Isaac, Arle, and Joker from Persona 5 (as a third-party character that would excite a lot of people, myself included!)

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
So a little while back, I made a support thread for DeMille from Tomato Adventure. At a glance, he sounds like the kind of character that has no chance. The protagonist of a quirky Japan-exclusive RPG for the GBA that's had nothing done with it since its release 16 years ago? ...But I made the thread because I think he does have a chance!
That's a very creative and imaginative response, but at the same time, even though the character is obscure, it's believable that it may happen, due to the wealth of back up information you provided.

Thank you, and Kevandre, for such well-written responses. I enjoyed reading both.

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Norman Reedus. Not his Death Stranding character, just Norman Reedus in a MoCap suit with Snake's old moveset, as requested by Kojima.

Granite Countertop

Smash Rookie
I'm calling Funky Kong. In my opinion, he could be the "Bowser Jr." of the next title. In other words, a character who might be considered "relevant" based on recent titles. With Funky being a new addition to the new Tropical Freeze port, I wouldn't be that surprised to see him. One could even argue that Dixie might make it in for the same reason.

Why can't we just have them both? If K. Rool was added, I'd be okay with that too, but that's a completely different topic.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Okay, I am going to call one of the boldest predictions in the history of Smash; however, you have to bear with me as I actually believe that he is substantially more likely as DLC than a base roster character. I am not willing to give up on this sentiment until DLC for this game dissolves, albeit, I will admit, I imagine he would be an earlier DLC character if they decide to go for the whole "games as a service" model. We should find out before 2020, I imagine.

Goku.

I am going to let that sink in because I feel as though I am the only person who actually expects it, rather than just meme-ing it or believing it would be a cool choice.

My logic is actually really simple and straight forward, he is the only character that can best Cloud's hype, or further than that, Sonic's hype (although I believe Sakurai cited Snake as more hype, it is irrelevant, Goku would top all three combined, fam). Beyond that, he is actually one of the only third-party characters not originally from games that has a storied history with gaming and plenty of Nintendo additions in the line-up. He appears in more games than 90% of the roster.

First of all, you have to address why he is not impossible. There is that whole "must originate in a game" rule; however, as I always point out, that rule was broken a decade ago with R.O.B. There is precedent. Beyond that, he said no anime characters or whatever for the ballot, and while that is definitely a strike against our favorite Saiyan, Bandai Namco is presumably co-developing this game as they have the rights to use Goku in games. I am no legal expert, especially not in regard to Japanese law; however, the whole 4 legal entities fiasco is heavily exaggerated. I believe half of them have already expressed interest. He has appeared in plenty of cross-overs with seemingly no problem and I am not entirely sure all of them would be involved in the first place. The number of legal entities just creates more red tape, it has no bearing on how difficult he is to acquire. Sakurai already went through immense effort for Cloud and Goku is objectively more worth the hassle.

The big draw here, however, is why Goku? There is quite the intuitive reason... He is highly requested and in all likelihood the true winner of the ballot. What more reason could anyone rational need? If people want him, and he satisfies all criteria outside of an arbitrary preference, I believe a bit of an exception is merited. Nintendo asked the development team to make Corrin and it happened. As usual, Smashers overstate Sakurai's role and assume he has complete creative control. Sorry, buddy, that is not reality. If Nintendo wants him, Nintendo gets him. He is enough of an icon to be the mascot of the 2020 Olympics, an honor that I doubt will ever be afforded to any Smash Brother's character outside of Mario or maybe Pikachu.

Either way, thanks for this thread. I can link it to whatever dunce dares argue that I never saw Goku coming for serious. If you are one of those people reading this in the future, ha ha ha... Told you so. It was as obvious as I made it out to be and I am the best.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Hmm I wanna be pretty bold here.
But my prediction is:

Yep, Monita from Nintendo Land. I imagine her being the Wii Fit Trainer this time around:
  • A relatively known character: Nintendo Land is the closest thing of being the face of the Wii U, probably at least until Splatoon came out. Was bundled with Wii U consoles for quite some time, and positioned as the "Wii Sports" of the console. If it failed or not in being so is up to question, but the game indeed end up selling around 4.6 million copies, in a installbase of 13 million, that's not bad. Almost a third.
  • WTF character, creative moveset: It's no secret that Sakurai loves adding surprise characters with really inventive movesets. Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer... Monita could be the one this time around!
  • Representative of an entire Nintendo era: both by merely being included and by their movesets, Mr. Game & Watch represents the entire line of G&W handhelds. R.O.B. represents a NES peripheral and the key to why the NES found its initial success. Wii Fit Trainer represents the casual and healthy mindset of the Wii era. Monita could represent the experimental and underrated Wii U era, even on her moveset!
So that's it. Maybe it's too farfetched but I really think she can get in this time around

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm gonna go bold too, but not full Goku bold.
But it's gonna be one heck of a hail marry.

• There won't be any third party characters that are owned by a western video game company.
• Sakurai will bring back all the third party characters from the Wii U.
• Sakurai will bring back Snake as well, this will be like advertised as the "most complete Smash ever"
• Sakurai will balance out the third party character representation by giving each company involved two reps each.
• One character will be cartoony and one will of a more serious tone. (Sort of an already established trend)
• Heihachi for Namco and Geno for Square - Heihachi was considered for the roster - They both had Mii costumes, perhaps Geno may have also been considered since he too has a Mii costume too. (Pardon my reach)
• Bomberman for Konami - Appearing on pretty much every Nintendo console and Bomberman R on switch.

If I am to be so bold to go even further beyond...

• Koei Tecmo will get Ryu Hayabusa as a rep, and possibly Linkle as a second rep. (If she's in a Geno licensing situation)

If I am to be even bolder than bold and go even further beyond the further beyond...

• Small time Japanese video companies with a strong history and relationship with Nintendo will also get reps, but just a single one each. This would equate to Japan's version of an indie character. (in my opinion)
• These two companies will be Level 5 and Natsume.
• Level 5's rep will be Professor Layton.
• Natsume's will be Metabee. (Yes and not Harvest Moon Farmer - He's owned by the American division)

Maybe this was actually bolder then Goku bold.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
A character nobody really expects but does make some sort of sense, huh?

Then I choose Joker from Persona 5.
The Persona series has never been represented on Nintendo platforms except for Persona Q on the 3DS. ATLUS has been a big supporter of Nintendo with the Shin Megami Tensei series, and everyone would naturally expect something from that series if ATLUS were to be represented in some way. Persona 5 was ridiculously popular in Japan and surprisingly mainstream in the US and highly regarded as one of the top games last year. I can picture him sneaking from shadow to shadow in his reveal trailer only to take somebody by complete surprise and showing his face to a casual music cue of: "You'll never see it comiiiiiiiiiiin'!" and the caption: "Joker steals the spotlight!". He could use a bunch of different Persona attacks from his game with Arsene as his persona when he performs one of his specials. His normal attack with his dagger could be his neutral A attack and his gun could be his forward tilt and it would be susceptible to running out of ammo just like in the game. His final smash would be an all out attack featuring all of his party members from Persona 5 and would instantly kill you if you were above 100% with the split-in-two effect in the background while he poses like the cocky guy he is.

I would effectively lose my mind if he were added.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
A character nobody really expects but does make some sort of sense, huh?

Then I choose Joker from Persona 5.
Niiiice! Joker's easily my most-wanted third party character.

Here's something you didn't point out - Atlus is owned by Sega, who have two characters in Smash (Sonic and Bayonetta), and is clearly working closely with Nintendo whenever a new Smash game is in development. It probably wouldn't be too hard to get him in if they decided they wanted to!

Sakurai's also a fan of the series! He attended the Persona Super Live concert and talked about how fun it was and talked about the series a bit, and for P5 in specific, he's given lots of praise to the art, design, and UI. With him being a fan, and Sega working with Nintendo, I think he's got a chance!

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I rarely see Arle Nadja on roster predictions. But when your franchise this successful AND you're more requested in Japan than Cloud and Bayonetta, I think getting in Smash shouldn't bee too hard.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Niiiice! Joker's easily my most-wanted third party character.

Here's something you didn't point out - Atlus is owned by Sega, who have two characters in Smash (Sonic and Bayonetta), and is clearly working closely with Nintendo whenever a new Smash game is in development. It probably wouldn't be too hard to get him in if they decided they wanted to!

Sakurai's also a fan of the series! He attended the Persona Super Live concert and talked about how fun it was and talked about the series a bit, and for P5 in specific, he's given lots of praise to the art, design, and UI. With him being a fan, and Sega working with Nintendo, I think he's got a chance!
I forgot one more thing: The voice actor that plays Joker is also the announcer for Smash 4.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I don't know if he counts as a 'longshot', but I think Crash is genuinely going to happen for early DLC. He's pretty popular on here and not as niche as the other options in this thread though. Same with Solaire really.

If I had to choose a less popular 'long shot', then LaboMan. I've said it before but I think that the Smash Switch is going to be more 'product pushing' than usual with the idea that they want all new franchises to make big splashes on the Switch. Labo is obviously something that's been planned since the conception of the Switch given the IR sensor functionality being extremely niche in uses.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'll go with two I'll state here for the sake of it. One is clearly more likely than the other

Savvy Stylist from New Style Boutique will get in as a playable character

Parabo and Satebo the Satellaview mascots will appear in the game, ideally as playable characters

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Also, this seems the place to do it: I predict new LoZ movesets. BotW Link and Zelda each using different aspects of the game, and therefore a new character to take the old movesets, like Toon Zelda to match Toon Link. Also Shiek is either replaced by Impa or Tetra if they want to focus on the 'realistic/toon' split.

Last edited:

UmBongo

Smash Rookie

I'm pushing for Master Kohga, honestly I know how unlikely it is but a Breath of the Wild representative for Smash that can incorporate the Yiga clan is what I want. Realistically, we're probably not going to get a new Zelda representative and just have new movesets (a very pessimistic outlook, I know)

While Rosalina is a 'puppet fighter', Master Kohga would be a 'Lazy Master', his specials would incorporate foot soldiers and blademasters teleporting in to attack for him, because he can't be bothered himself.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Okay, I am going to call one of the boldest predictions in the history of Smash; however, you have to bear with me as I actually believe that he is substantially more likely as DLC than a base roster character. I am not willing to give up on this sentiment until DLC for this game dissolves, albeit, I will admit, I imagine he would be an earlier DLC character if they decide to go for the whole "games as a service" model. We should find out before 2020, I imagine.

Goku.

I am going to let that sink in because I feel as though I am the only person who actually expects it, rather than just meme-ing it or believing it would be a cool choice.

My logic is actually really simple and straight forward, he is the only character that can best Cloud's hype, or further than that, Sonic's hype (although I believe Sakurai cited Snake as more hype, it is irrelevant, Goku would top all three combined, fam). Beyond that, he is actually one of the only third-party characters not originally from games that has a storied history with gaming and plenty of Nintendo additions in the line-up. He appears in more games than 90% of the roster.

First of all, you have to address why he is not impossible. There is that whole "must originate in a game" rule; however, as I always point out, that rule was broken a decade ago with R.O.B. There is precedent. Beyond that, he said no anime characters or whatever for the ballot, and while that is definitely a strike against our favorite Saiyan, Bandai Namco is presumably co-developing this game as they have the rights to use Goku in games. I am no legal expert, especially not in regard to Japanese law; however, the whole 4 legal entities fiasco is heavily exaggerated. I believe half of them have already expressed interest. He has appeared in plenty of cross-overs with seemingly no problem and I am not entirely sure all of them would be involved in the first place. The number of legal entities just creates more red tape, it has no bearing on how difficult he is to acquire. Sakurai already went through immense effort for Cloud and Goku is objectively more worth the hassle.

The big draw here, however, is why Goku? There is quite the intuitive reason... He is highly requested and in all likelihood the true winner of the ballot. What more reason could anyone rational need? If people want him, and he satisfies all criteria outside of an arbitrary preference, I believe a bit of an exception is merited. Nintendo asked the development team to make Corrin and it happened. As usual, Smashers overstate Sakurai's role and assume he has complete creative control. Sorry, buddy, that is not reality. If Nintendo wants him, Nintendo gets him. He is enough of an icon to be the mascot of the 2020 Olympics, an honor that I doubt will ever be afforded to any Smash Brother's character outside of Mario or maybe Pikachu.

Either way, thanks for this thread. I can link it to whatever dunce dares argue that I never saw Goku coming for serious. If you are one of those people reading this in the future, ha ha ha... Told you so. It was as obvious as I made it out to be and I am the best.
As with ROB - Lucario also debuted in the anime prior to the games.
Lucario was also voiced by Sean Schemmel the voice actor for the English/ Funimation Goku.

Minor nit pick... He isn't the mascot for the Olympics, he's an "ambassador" with a bunch of other anime characters like Sailor Moon... Also a Yokai Watch character is also one.

Another out of the box solution to Goku's inclusion, is perhaps a game exclusive version of Goku... Such as Xeno Goku or "Time Patrol Goku". Dragon Ball as a franchise has many video game original characters that debuted in a video game prior an anime or manga... Just a thought... and yes the xeno goku is a from an entirely different canon and universe... and fights against the anime counter part I believe... more research required.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Goku.

Goku is not happening. Period.

He is not a video game character. It doesn't matter that he's had video games, the point is, he does not ORIGINATE from video games. He is therefore NOT a video game character. Spiderman and Batman have had tons of video games. They're not video game characters. This point does not change regardless of how many video games they do have. This is an insurmountable hurdle for Goku to get over, because, Smash is first and foremost a celebration of video games. Not other forms of media. Not manga, not movies, not comic books or TV shows. Video games only.

I will tell you this however. If Goku does somehow get into Smash (which frankly, IS NEVER EVER GOING TO HAPPEN), I will see it as fortuitous, because it then means that characters from other media are possible as well. So if Goku gets into Smash, I am going to petition harder than ANYTHING for Garfield to get into Smash after him. Because Garfield is my favorite western cartoon character, and opening Smash's gates to characters from other forms of media means that characters like Garfield, Darth Vader, Shrek, Spongebob etc. are all possible, and since Garfield is practically rooted in Americana at this point, I think he has quite a strong chance. Keep in mind, this is only possible if Goku gets in, for his inclusion will open the floodgates to characters all other forms of media being included. You have obviously not considered this possibility.

So... if Goku gets in. Garfield is getting in next. And I badly want this to happen because I legitimately love Garfield, and salivate at the thought of destroying Goku with a belch or a rolled up newspaper.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

He is not a video game character. It doesn't matter that he's had video games, the point is, he does not ORIGINATE from video games. He is therefore NOT a video game character. Spiderman and Batman have had tons of video games. They're not video game characters. This point does not change regardless of how many video games they do have. This is an insurmountable hurdle for Goku to get over, because, Smash is first and foremost a celebration of video games. Not other forms of media. Not manga, not movies, not comic books or TV shows. Video games only.

I will tell you this however. If Goku does somehow get into Smash (which frankly, IS NEVER EVER GOING TO HAPPEN), I will see it as fortuitous, because it then means that characters from other media are possible as well. So if Goku gets into Smash, I am going to petition harder than ANYTHING for Garfield to get into Smash after him. Because Garfield is my favorite western cartoon character, and opening Smash's gates to characters from other forms of media means that characters like Garfield, Darth Vader, Shrek, Spongebob etc. are all possible, and since Garfield is practically rooted in Americana at this point, I think he has quite a strong chance. Keep in mind, this is only possible if Goku gets in, for his inclusion will open the floodgates to characters all other forms of media being included. You have obviously not considered this possibility.

So... if Goku gets in. Garfield is getting in next. And I badly want this to happen because I legitimately love Garfield, and salivate at the thought of destroying Goku with a belch or a rolled up newspaper.
It does not matter, really, as I established.

Spiderman and Batman, as big as they are, are more highly requested in Marvel vs Capcom or Injustice. We are talking about Smash.

I have considered the possibility; however, that has literally nothing to do with the discussion and therefore I felt it was best not to address it because why the **** would I?

Ha ha ha... okay, fam. You keep those hopes alive for Garfield because your imagination is the only world where that is happening. Is that the newcomer you are calling? If so, you might want a bit more reasoning than just piggy-backing over the greatness that is Goku.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

You really shouldn't come into a thread like this if you're triggered this easily.

PsychoJosh

Ha ha ha... okay, fam. You keep those hopes alive for Garfield because your imagination is the only world where that is happening. Is that the newcomer you are calling? If so, you might want a bit more reasoning than just piggy-backing over the greatness that is Goku.
You know it really is hilarious that you think Garfield is somehow less possible than Goku. Your imagination is the only place where Goku is happening, friend.

There are pipe dreams, and then there are outright delusions. Goku is a delusion. If he happens, Garfield happens. And we are technically on the same side - Goku's inclusion makes Garfield/Shrek/etc. all possible, so I absolutely want Goku to happen, because it means Garfield has a shot and I badly want Garfield in Smash.

You know as well as I do that both of their chances of being in Smash are in TOTAL equilibrium. In other words, totally nonexistent.

Now if Goku gets in, I'm not going to laugh at you, I'll be glad for you! That'd be great! Because it means Garfield is up next. But if he doesn't get in, which there's a 110% likelihood that he won't, then you're going to look like quite the fool and I'm going to come back and laugh at you. Because unlike you I'm not expecting Garfield to be in. But you might as well be expecting Garfield. It'll amount to the same thing in the end. Their chances are exactly the same, and your refusal to admit it doesn't change this reality.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
You know it really is hilarious that you think Garfield is somehow less possible than Goku. Your imagination is the only place where Goku is happening, friend.

There are pipe dreams, and then there are outright delusions. Goku is a delusion. If he happens, Garfield happens. And we are technically on the same side - Goku's inclusion makes Garfield/Shrek/etc. all possible, so I absolutely want Goku to happen, because it means Garfield has a shot and I badly want Garfield in Smash.

You know as well as I do that both of their chances of being in Smash are in TOTAL equilibrium. In other words, totally nonexistent.
He is absolutely less likely. He did not win the Smash ballot, he is not the ambassador to the Olympics, Sakurai has never spoken his name, and I doubt he is in many video-games either, and beyond that, I am not really seeing the move-set potential. However, I apologize for hurting you feelings. I just figured I would help you out a bit. But if you are sold on the idea, I am not going to stop you.

Goku is actually a character that Bandai Namco has video-game publishing rights to. You probably meant to say that his chance of happening was delusion. You genuinely believe that the fate of Garfield is tied to Goku, as though they are a package deal? I had another prediction that perhaps we would get both Crash and Spyro, but this is a bit of a stretch, mate. Is it because both of their names start with "G?"

No, I know better than you, fam. You will see... and once that happens, I suppose you can start your Garfield campaign because you seem really sold on the idea.

PsychoJosh

He is absolutely less likely. He did not win the Smash ballot, he is not the ambassador to the Olympics, Sakurai has never spoken his name, and I doubt he is in many video-games either, and beyond that, I am not really seeing the move-set potential. However, I apologize for hurting you feelings. I just figured I would help you out a bit. But if you are sold on the idea, I am not going to stop you.

Goku is actually a character that Bandai Namco has video-game publishing rights to. You probably meant to say that his chance of happening was delusion. You genuinely believe that the fate of Garfield is tied to Goku, as though they are a package deal? I had another prediction that perhaps we would get both Crash and Spyro, but this is a bit of a stretch, mate. Is it because both of their names start with "G?"

No, I know better than you, fam. You will see... and once that happens, I suppose you can start your Garfield campaign because you seem really sold on the idea.
How do you know Goku won the Smash ballot? You don't. This is pure conjecture, because they never released the results of the ballot. And even if he did somehow win it, I guess that would make sense because Sakurai mentioned some characters that were on the ballot were an "impossibility". I honestly don't think Goku won the ballot, I think it went to some other meme character like Shrek, Spongebob or Darude Sandstorm - characters who are equally as impossible. He is just as likely as any of them.

Whether or not Bandai Namco has the publishing rights to Goku is completely irrelevant because he is still not a video game character. It didn't make James Bond any more likely Nintendo held the publishing rights to him via their ownership of Rareware and Goldeneye 64. And yes, I am absolutely sold on the idea of Goku meaning Garfield gets into Smash, because if a non-video game character like Goku can get into Smash simply because he's "had video games before", then Garfield easily meets that criteria and can enter for the same reason. He has had plenty of video games, many of which were not great, but the point is, he's had them, so he meets the exact same criteria for inclusion that Goku does.

Keep in mind, Garfield is not my prediction for a character that will make it in. I am just saying, he is just as likely as Goku, and Goku's inclusion would open the gates for him, so I'd be immensely grateful if Goku got into Smash. But I am absolutely certain that he won't. If you're so confident that he's going to get in, maybe you'd like to make it interesting with a little wager? Nothing monetary, just something simple. If he gets in, I have to wear a Goku avatar for three months, and if he doesn't, you have to wear a Garfield avatar for three months. How's that sound?

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think you're the only one missing the point.

The point of this thread is discussion, I am discussing his character expectation with him.
Yeah but you're like overly sensitive and abrasive over Goku man, like chill.

Mobi stated his opinion... then you lashed out at him with your opinion but stated it like fact.

PsychoJosh

Yeah but you're like overly sensitive and abrasive over Goku man, like chill.

Mobi stated his opinion... then you lashed out at him with your opinion but stated it like fact.
Interpretations are like ass holes.

He stated Goku was going to be in the game as if it is a fact. I did not lash out at him, I stated where I stand on the subject - which is that I think Goku's inclusion in Smash is nothing more than a serious delusion, and if he gets in, my own fantasy character will then become a real possibility and will follow soon after.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Interpretations are like *** holes.

He stated Goku was going to be in the game as if it is a fact. I did not lash out at him, I stated where I stand on the subject - which is that I think Goku's inclusion in Smash is nothing more than a serious delusion, and if he gets in, my own fantasy character will then become a real possibility and will follow soon after.
This thread is literally designed to take a newcomer you believe will happen, my choice was Goku, and therefore, it is of my opinion that Goku will indeed make it into the game as per my prediction. If it came across as fact, it is because I am adamant about my opinion, I suppose, but you cannot really debate what my own thoughts are and therefore you are wasting your time. That was all he was trying to tell you.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Interpretations are like *** holes.

Seems very odd to enter a thread which the subject is to state or call unlikely characters..
Then go on to like throw it in a users face how unlikely it is.

PsychoJosh

This thread is literally designed to take a newcomer you believe will happen, my choice was Goku, and therefore, it is of my opinion that Goku will indeed make it into the game as per my prediction. If it came across as fact, it is because I am adamant about my opinion, I suppose, but you cannot really debate what my own thoughts are and therefore you are wasting your time. That was all he was trying to tell you.
There is a difference between hoping for a character and expecting a character.

Hopes are just that, fantasies with no basis on anything. Expectations are entirely different, they're usually based on facts. Yours were not, and so that's why I had to tell you such, because you were treating it as a foregone conclusion that Goku would be in Smash. Also, I didn't hear back from you on our wager. If you really EXPECT Goku to be in then I'd ask you to put your money where your mouth is, since you're so confident.

Goku gets in = I wear a Goku avatar for three months.
Goku doesn't get in = you wear a Garfield avatar for three months.

Do we have a deal?

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So I'm going to ignore that argument over there...

Anyways, I think Qbby from Boxboy has a decent shot. 3 games and an amiibo isn't anything to sneeze at. Also, I think Badge Bunny from the 3ds Badge Arcade app may be out WTF. Between the badges themselves, the catchers, and other 3ds hardware stuff, they cou;d stich together a decent moveset.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
GS Isaac will be in Smash 5.
Sakurai has realized his folly and has decided to add him to the game.

He will be revealed alongside a new GS game at E3.

The Golden Sun always rises.

Megakoopax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Supermario196
3DS FC
2320-6609-3767
A newcomer I would hope to see is either Bomberman, Issac from Golden Sun or the Balloon Fight Guy/Excite Bike Guy or any other NES characters in that vain.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I predicted a few characters right last time
I’ll go with Captain Toad, Elma, Dixie Kong, and Takamaru

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I predicted a few characters right last time
I’ll go with Captain Toad, Elma, Dixie Kong, and Takamaru
Pfffft, look at "Mr Risky" over here, boy, if you're right then I'll be flabbergasted! I don't think I've ever seen someone pick those :p

Cmon, give us the spicy hot take. Give us the long shot.:seuss:

Top Bottom