• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Calabrel's Project M 3.6 build.

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Introducing:

Build updated to v1.1, no content changes, update was to correct the hackless loading method for the build. Thanks Ryio5 for pointing out the error. If you downloaded the original version and can't load the game via the stage editor, you can either redownload, or just copy the "private" folder from the base 3.6 build onto your SD card to fix.

A comprehensive Google spreadsheet of all the content in the build.

Installation instructions for the base build with no character textures:
  • Download Calabrel's 3.6 build
  • Use 7-zip, or a comparable program, to open the "Calabrel's_3.6_build_v1.1.7z" file, then drag and drop the build onto a 2 GB SD card. This build will work with both hackless and homebrew methods.

Fans of previous builds will see some classics in both stage and song, but it's important to note that I've scrutinized every aspect of my previous build to improve each and every portion, and my editing of previously created stages means that there are several completely unique stages included in this build. I have organized the stages such that alt stages are casual stages, and primary stages are competitive. Stages have been tweaked in various ways for a more competitive and enjoyable experience. I've created a custom ASRL code that provides an alt stage for nearly every stage while still nearly completely maintaining franchise relevance as well as randomized texture loading for many of the official competitive stages, such as Battlefield and PS2. This build does not include any character re-textures, sorry.

Every song is now looped, and has more music than ever, including over 60 completely brand new brstm files. I omitted the CSS Song Cycler in this build, but I did use codes to normalize song volume.

This build is not official to PMDT, and isn't intended for tournament usage, but shoutouts if you do!

A lot of issues can be resolved by completely deleting all the files on your SD card, then re-adding them. Especially since some files don't like to work correctly if they have to replace another file while transferring, so it's best to just add all the files to an empty SD card.

Few things to note about stages. First, Sandfall was kind enough to give me a brand new version of Pokémon Stadium Redux that has a completely fixed Rock transform. There are several stages that have (Calabrel edit) next to them, which are stages from various sources edited for a better competitive experience. That could be as simple as modified blast zones, or completely changing platforms and/or base stage. There a lot of never before seen versions of stages in this build. Stages names listed below that don't have images are unchanged from the official build.

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Melee Battlefield

Music (Click name to listen to the song)
- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Big Blue

- Primary Stages
  • Competitive Bowser's Castle

- Alt Stages
  • Bowser's Castle

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Brinstar

Music (Click name to listen to a song)
- Primary Stages
  • Castle Siege

- Alt Stages

• J02 Fire Emblem Theme - None
  • J04 With Mila's Divine Protection - None
  • J08 Attack - None
  • J06 Preparing to Advance - None
  • J07 Winning Road - Roy's Hope - Super Smash Bros. Melee: Together, We Fly, OC ReMix
  • J03 Shadow Dragon Medley - None
  • J13 Ike's Theme - None
  • J09 Against the Dark Knight - None
  • J10 Crimean Army Sortie - None
  • J11 Power-Hungry Fool - None
  • J12 Victory Is Near - None
  • W17 Fire Emblem (Melee) - None
- Primary Stages
  • Corneria

- Alt Stages
  • Sector Z

- Primary Stages
  • Delfino's Secret

- Alt Stages

- Primary Stages
  • Distant Planet

- Alt Stages
  • Distant Planet Brawl

- Primary Stages
  • Luigi's Mansion

- Alt Stages
None

- Primary Stages
  • Dreamland HD
  • Dreamland HD night version

- Alt Stages
  • Dreamland 64

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
None

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
None

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
None

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Fourside

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Frigate Orpheon

- Primary Stages
  • Green Hill Zone

- Alt Stages
  • Green Hill Zone Brawl

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Hyrule Castle HD

- Primary Stages
  • Jungle Japes

- Alt Stages
None

• W03 Jungle Japes (Melee) - None
  • W26 Kong Jungle (Melee) - None
- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Kongo Jungle 64

- Primary Stages
  • Lylat Cruise (no tilt)

- Alt Stages
  • Lylat Cruise

• G10 Space Armada - Starfox: Godspeed, OC ReMix
  • G02 Corneria - None
  • G01 Main Theme (Star Fox) - None
  • G03 Main Theme (Star Fox 64) - None
  • G04 Area 6 - None
  • G11 Area 6 Ver. 2 - None
  • G05 Star Wolf - Star Fox 64: Star King, OC ReMix
  • G09 Star Wolf (Star Fox: Assault) - None
  • G07 Space Battleground - None
  • G08 Break Through the Ice - None
  • Q12 Tunnel Scene (X) - None
- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Metal Cavern HD

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Onett

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Pictochat

- Primary Stages
  • Pirate Ship

- Alt Stages
None

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Pokémon Stadium

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Port Town Aero Drive

• I01 Mute City - None
  • I03 Fire Field - None
  • I02 White Land - None
  • I04 Car Select - F-Zero: Eat Your Own Dust, OC ReMix
  • I05 Dream Chaser - None
  • I06 Devil's Call in Your Heart - None
  • I07 Climb Up! And Get The Last Chance! - None
  • I08 Brain Cleaner - None
  • I09 Shotgun Kiss - None
  • I10 Planet Colors - None
  • R09 Golden Forest (1080°Snowboarding) - None
  • W18 Mach Rider (Melee) - None
- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Peach's Castle HD
  • Rainbow Cruise

- Primary Stages
  • Rumble Falls PM (Calabrel edit)

- Alt Stages
  • Rumble Falls Brawl

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Saffron City HD

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Shadow Moses Island

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Skyworld

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
None

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Infinite Glacier

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Temple

- Primary Stages
  • Wario Land

- Alt Stages
  • Warioware Brawl

- Primary Stages
  • Yoshi's Island: Brawl

- Alt Stages
  • Yoshi's Island: Pipes

- Primary Stages

- Alt Stages
  • Yoshi's Island 64

• W05 Yoshi's Island 64 - Unidentified Yoshi's Story (Please comment if you have a link to this song!)
  • W15 Yoshi's Island (Melee) - None

If you have questions or comments you can post here, but I'm much more accessible on Reddit. Preferably post on the Reddit thread created for this build: https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/3m64kv/calabrels_project_m_36_build/

Disclaimer: All the stage textures have been created by various users at Brawl Vault or Smashboards, thank you for all your contributions guys. Feel free to upload any of the stages in the build to BrawlVault, just be sure to credit all individuals who worked on them previously (I have the links to the stages already posted).

Special thanks to Venefice who helped with textures on a few stages and a couple of song choices, as well as helping format the Google sheets doc. Also special thanks to Tock who created that Ness splash logo for me, I still love it. Llamajuice, Theytah and Sandfall for teaching me various stage editing techniques and how to manipulate the ASRL codes. Llamajuice again for coming through with graphics to help finish the build. More thanks to PsychoGhost for teaching me how to use paint.net, it's an awesome program. I wanted so bad to use your CSS icons, but I didn't want to steal your thunder, they look amazing; also, I haven't forgotten I owe you a tutorial as well. Special thanks to the aforementioned stage guys plus SOJ and Mewtwo2000 who helped troubleshoot issues with stages. Special thanks to dantarion, ds22, and especially wiiztec and any other coders who I might have missed for making ASRL possible. More special thanks to my friend Joey who did graphics for the build, check him out.

Lastly, thank you all for your support and appreciation in using this build. All those many many hours putting into looping 100+ songs, learning how to stage edit, and alter ASRL code are totally worth it when I hear even one of you tell me how much you love the build, or I see a YouTube video of a match and someone is using it. I can't say it enough, thank you all so much!

Edit: How could I forget, shoutouts to Sheen for helping come up with a mathematical formula to convert looping points from 44.1k hz brstm files to 32k hz brstm files. Also shoutouts to helping loop that one song I struggled to find a good point for.

Last edited:

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****, that Getamped 2 Rooftop stage it's beautiful. Didn't think anyone else but me actually played that game.

Edit: Kinda sad this isn't a song option tho.

Last edited:

DrDank

Smash Rookie
I'll be testing this out for tournament usage, thanks for this build!

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Nice stages. My only problem/question is in regards to the retextured stages you're providing, specifically for the tournament stages.

Are stages like Beachville/Gardenville/Canyon Battlefield/Metroid lab fit to ALL the original stage's properties and collisions? For example, I think it was 3.02 or 3.5 that added walljumpable sides to Smashville, a change that caused many previously fine stage edits to cause desyncs online and thus not play as intended by the PMDT. In other words, I was wondering if you edited the retextures such that it's the vanilla 3.6 stage, just with the previous version of the PM stage's texture and model edits swapped over. I'd still like to use some of these, but to me it's a big deal that all tournament-legal stages are on-par with 3.6 stage properties. Imagine how it might affect a tournament if the ceilings of the stages that got increased ceilings in 3.02 were back to their pre-3.02 forms with lower ceilings.

I have to ask because I've seen Gardenville and Beachville a lot--nearly every new PM version yields a build with those stages, and every single person swears it's safe for the latest version of PM. Of course though, they're not. They desync on wifi without any trouble or doubt it's the stage. Kinda disappointing really. Seeing how you've edited these other stages yourself and seeing how they look so great, I could see you being able to also make stages 3.6 safe. I guess I'm asking also if you've touched any of those stages (the tournament stages with texture edits in your pack) yourself at all or not.

Thanks for posting this regardless.

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Nice stages. My only problem/question is in regards to the retextured stages you're providing, specifically for the tournament stages.

Are stages like Beachville/Gardenville/Canyon Battlefield/Metroid lab fit to ALL the original stage's properties and collisions? For example, I think it was 3.02 or 3.5 that added walljumpable sides to Smashville, a change that caused many previously fine stage edits to cause desyncs online and thus not play as intended by the PMDT. In other words, I was wondering if you edited the retextures such that it's the vanilla 3.6 stage, just with the previous version of the PM stage's texture and model edits swapped over. I'd still like to use some of these, but to me it's a big deal that all tournament-legal stages are on-par with 3.6 stage properties. Imagine how it might affect a tournament if the ceilings of the stages that got increased ceilings in 3.02 were back to their pre-3.02 forms with lower ceilings.

I have to ask because I've seen Gardenville and Beachville a lot--nearly every new PM version yields a build with those stages, and every single person swears it's safe for the latest version of PM. Of course though, they're not. They desync on wifi without any trouble or doubt it's the stage. Kinda disappointing really. Seeing how you've edited these other stages yourself and seeing how they look so great, I could see you being able to also make stages 3.6 safe. I guess I'm asking also if you've touched any of those stages (the tournament stages with texture edits in your pack) yourself at all or not.

Thanks for posting this regardless.
Here's proof for ya. Notice the box in the bottom left-hand corner entitled "No Walljump"

I've done my homework, you can be sure the retextures have the same collisions/models/cameras as the originals.

Last edited:

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Holy ****, that Getamped 2 Rooftop stage it's beautiful. Didn't think anyone else but me actually played that game.

Edit: Kinda sad this isn't a song option tho.
Sorry to disappoint, I've never actually played the game. I do really like the stage though. I had not heard that song previously, it's pretty good. A bit late now though :o

000pab

Smash Rookie
This is great. I'm so gonna use this for my next tourney. I love all the FD reskins

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
Ooh this is awesome. Out of curiousity, what did you edit on the stages that are labeled with Calabrel's edit?

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Ooh this is awesome. Out of curiousity, what did you edit on the stages that are labeled with Calabrel's edit?
Depends on which stage. The "Calabrel's edit" label is just to specify that it's been changed from its Brawl Vault version. It could be as simple as making the blast zones closer, such as I did in Frigate Orpheon, or something significant like completely removing the very highest platform in Bridge of Eldin X. Perhaps I'll work up a full changelog at some point.

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
It didn't work :(

I cleared the SD card multiple times, added the files, and tried to boot it up. The WIi seemed to not even recognize the card; it just gives the normal empty stages screen on Brawl, and I can back out of that screen just fine. Normal PM works great; I set it back to vanilla PM build and there were no problems. The card is 2gb, FAT32, and I tried the Calabrel build after reformatting to fat32 with the same results as before.

Thoughts anyone?

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
It didn't work :(

I cleared the SD card multiple times, added the files, and tried to boot it up. The WIi seemed to not even recognize the card; it just gives the normal empty stages screen on Brawl, and I can back out of that screen just fine. Normal PM works great; I set it back to vanilla PM build and there were no problems. The card is 2gb, FAT32, and I tried the Calabrel build after reformatting to fat32 with the same results as before.

Thoughts anyone?
Which method are you trying to load the game?

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
Great build! I'm going to steal a couple of your edits for my personal use. Thank you so much for the painstakingly detailed changelog. Going to spend the evening checking out some of these songs.

DrDank

Smash Rookie
Is there any way to take off the Melee Pokemon stadium? Only version of a stage that I think isn't tourney legal from the starters

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Is there any way to take off the Melee Pokemon stadium? Only version of a stage that I think isn't tourney legal from the starters
It's not the Melee Pokémon stadium. It's a rebalanced version with the silly transformations replaced.

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
Which method are you trying to load the game?
I cleared the SD card/reformatted to FAT32 (which it was previously), copied all the contents of your unzipped file onto the SD card, put it in the Wii, and then tried to load the game via the Stage Builder as normal.

edit: I will retry copying the private folder from vanilla 3.6, hopefully that works.

Last edited:

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, make sure there is a private folder if you're trying to load via the Stage Builder, the first 15 or so hours of the build I had a version that forgot the "private" folder. So if you downloaded in that then it might be missing that folder. Sorry for the confusion.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Here's proof for ya. Notice the box in the bottom left-hand corner entitled "No Walljump"

I've done my homework, you can be sure the retextures have the same collisions/models/cameras as the originals.
Have my children.

DrDank

Smash Rookie
Ahh i found out whats wrong with it. Before you go to the stage selection screen, when you go to the stocks and when you're able to turn on and off stages, turning off PS2 actually turns off the melee pokemon stadium and turning off the melee pokemon stadium turns off PS2. Well not the melee pokemon stadium but the redux one

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
Onett version M Crashed the game for me. I am playing on dolphin and I am using the virtual sd card method.
I made that stage, and it's a known issue that it doesn't work on certain builds of Dolphin. Use 4.0.3 and it should work, until I remake that stage to try and fix it.

Last edited:

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
Phew, been a long time since I've come around here. Hopefully you all are still enjoying this. Would there be any interest in a "v3.61" of this? I've had it made for a long time, but with all the controversy surrounding it at the time, I didn't make it publicly available.

Top Bottom