• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-Stick or A Button aerials?

Hence

Smash Ace
With Marth it seems easier to preform a receeding SHFF F-Air using the C-Stick. I happen to wiffle many more aerials using directional A attacks, so...
I'm looking for imput as to what the general consensus of the Marth community uses to space quickly and accurately. Also, could you provide the reasoning behind your method, and what makes it better than the opposing one?

Thanks.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Use the c-stick to do aerials because it allows you to keep control of Marth at all times. One of Marth's strengths is his aerial mobility, why lose it?

Your already using the c-stick and said its easier, it doesnt matter what we use, it matters what works for you. But to answer your question the majority probably uses the c-stick.

Hence

Smash Ace
Use the c-stick to do aerials because it allows you to keep control of Marth at all times. One of Marth's strengths is his aerial mobility, why lose it?

Your already using the c-stick and said its easier, it doesnt matter what we use, it matters what works for you. But to answer your question the majority probably uses the c-stick.
Actually, I alternate between the A Button and C-Stick because I am unsure of what to use.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Actually, I alternate between the A Button and C-Stick because I am unsure of what to use.
Use the c-stick when you want to retreat your aerials, mainly fairs. You can use the control stick here and there, it wont hurt. Just learn when to do what. C-stick is mainly for retreating fairs.

Its kinda like the tap jump on or off argument...

Having it off is bad because you cant up b oos, but having it on only serves the purpose to do an up b oos. You dont HAVE to jump with the stick.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I use both. If I want more control of the timing, I use cstick. I use control stick -> A when I want to use Nair or want to make jumping around with X/Y easier.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I think c sticking for aerials would be hard. I use A button.
ROFLMAO. I am at a loss for words but i guess i will explain so this post is relevant/useful/not-spam.

If you dont c-stick aerials then you will fall victim to these symptoms:
1) getting punished because you cant space or retreat your fairs well
2) suffering from uair lag because you cant fastfall it well
3) experienceing fair lag because you cant fastfall it well

Seriously, learn to c-stick your aerials. Its not all that hard. Just a matter of learning to tap x or y to jump then flicking the c-stick in a direction. If you dont learn to use the c-stick for aerials, your marth game will plateau and you will not be able to improve.

Schwaumlaut

Smash Apprentice
I use the c-stick. I actually hold the controller a little weirdly; I keep my thumb on the c-stick for the most part, keep my index finger over X and Y, and shield with my middle finger. I'm working on DS OOS with tap jump off since mapping Special to B and X lets me hit jump and special (X and Y) simultaneously. I don't play anyone with multihit spam, though, so I haven't quite gotten it down.

Anyway, long story short, you don't have to choose between X and Y for jumps and c-stick for aerials.

Sailboat

Smash Cadet
I've been using c-stick for aerials since melee and I can't really get out of the habit. Apparently from reading this thread it's not a bad habit? As for the A button, say someone you're trying to kill is off the stage and is trying to come back. I find that using A button to reverse fair them is a lot more accurate, at least in it's timing, than the c-stick is. This is obviously just my opinion, but when I see them air dodge or something it's so much easier for me to punish them in that situation with the A button. For almost everything else I think the c-stick with aerials is the best option because of the previously stated ff lag.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
I use the c-stick. I actually hold the controller a little weirdly; I keep my thumb on the c-stick for the most part, keep my index finger over X and Y, and shield with my middle finger. I'm working on DS OOS with tap jump off since mapping Special to B and X lets me hit jump and special (X and Y) simultaneously. I don't play anyone with multihit spam, though, so I haven't quite gotten it down.

Anyway, long story short, you don't have to choose between X and Y for jumps and c-stick for aerials.
That's just clawing. Relatively common.

istudying

Smash Lord
ROFLMAO. I am at a loss for words but i guess i will explain so this post is relevant/useful/not-spam.

If you dont c-stick aerials then you will fall victim to these symptoms:
1) getting punished because you cant space or retreat your fairs well
2) suffering from uair lag because you cant fastfall it well
3) experienceing fair lag because you cant fastfall it well

Seriously, learn to c-stick your aerials. Its not all that hard. Just a matter of learning to tap x or y to jump then flicking the c-stick in a direction. If you dont learn to use the c-stick for aerials, your marth game will plateau and you will not be able to improve.
I can Fast fall quick enough with A button.
P.S actually i didn't notice but i use Both lawl.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
If you don't use both, you are probably a n00b. If you don't use C-Stick at all, you are DEFINITELY a n00b.

Generally, the A button is used for aerials that you're moving in the same direction as for speed and precision. The C-stick is used for aerials that you are traveling in an alternative direction to.

cman

Smash Ace
Is it possible to cstick a nair? I'm fairly sure I've done it once or twice, but I could never figure it out.

Also, since I don't believe anyone mentioned it, you can avoid fast falling if you merely tilt the control stick down while pressing A. You automatically fastfall with the cstick.

HADOOKEN

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to cstick a nair? I'm fairly sure I've done it once or twice, but I could never figure it out.

Also, since I don't believe anyone mentioned it, you can avoid fast falling if you merely tilt the control stick down while pressing A. You automatically fastfall with the cstick.
HAHAAH

.... no no way to do that

AzNsAnTaGiN

Smash Cadet
Actually, I think I've done it too.
Maybe a slightly tilted diagonal? (A la T-Sticking)

Anth0ny

Smash Master
If you don't use both, you are probably a n00b. If you don't use C-Stick at all, you are DEFINITELY a n00b.

Generally, the A button is used for aerials that you're moving in the same direction as for speed and precision. The C-stick is used for aerials that you are traveling in an alternative direction to.
I couldn't have said it much better myself.

You should be using c stick for the majority of the time, but there are situations that come up that you should just use the a button for.

cman

Smash Ace
HAHAHA

YOU'D BE AMAZED AT HOW ****ED UP THE C-STICK IS IN THIS GAME!

rly
On that note, does anyone know what the specific cause of an occasional empty shorthop in the direction you hit the cstick when you try to jump and immediately use an aerial?

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
C-Sticking is so much better than A aerials it hurts. You can't do a retreating Fair if you're using the A button intsead of C stick, and the C stick is faster in my opinion. Get used to the C stick instead of A aerials.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
On that note, does anyone know what the specific cause of an occasional empty shorthop in the direction you hit the cstick when you try to jump and immediately use an aerial?
If you hit the C-stick too quicky before returning it to neutral position it'll reinforce DI. This is why double sticking SDI works so well, because C-sticks add DI also. Same with instant C-stick flick to B equals that directional Special.

I think if you hit the C-stick quarter-circle quickly then flick it back to neutral you do jab/nair.

IDK it doesn't seem to be consistent.

cman

Smash Ace
If you hit the C-stick too quicky before returning it to neutral position it'll reinforce DI. This is why double sticking SDI works so well, because C-sticks add DI also. Same with instant C-stick flick to B equals that directional Special.

I think if you hit the C-stick quarter-circle quickly then flick it back to neutral you do jab/nair.

IDK it doesn't seem to be consistent.
That could be it for the neutral cstick, but what about the the cstick'ed aerial that doesn't actually activite the aerial, and instead empty shorthops in a certain direction?

PS- Toon link video. I need. Pretty please, if one exists.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
That's what I'm saying. If it's a C-sticked aerial and you hit it too quickly it'll DI toward that direction instead of register an aerial. How can you DI with a neutral stick? lol

See my first post on this thread for more details on the C-stick.

P.S - Steel should've posted those Marth vs. TL friendlies w/ Eazy. This match-up like for some reason doesn't occur often lol.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
C stick is good for DIing aerials, A button is good for auto canceling aerials (like ganons dair)
but this is marth, so use C stick. DI after an aerial is important for spacing

cman

Smash Ace
That's what I'm saying. If it's a C-sticked aerial and you hit it too quickly it'll DI toward that direction instead of register an aerial. How can you DI with a neutral stick? lol

See my first post on this thread for more details on the C-stick.

P.S - Steel should've posted those Marth vs. TL friendlies w/ Eazy. This match-up like for some reason doesn't occur often lol.
Oh I misread what you wrote. I thought you were describing the neutral aerial with the cstick in both paragraphs. My bad.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Think of it this way. You **** your own horizontal spacing by using the A button exclusively. Once you choose a direction to move in the air, you have to commit to it. Also, your attacks are more patterned to your direction of motion. Its best to use both in a ratio of 80% C stick to 20% a button though depending on how fast you need your fairs to come out and a few other things.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
As a Marth who uses Wiimote+Nunchuk, I know for a fact that you can retreat your aerials while using the A button. I suppose the method is to input the attack, then quickly D.I in the other direction. (Not that I'm asking anyone to switch...) This method can be used to space a Nair. (Not as well as other aerials though)

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
like some of the others said use both.. .I use both methods i tend to actually normal fair bair going forward or RARing with the A button i use c stick when im fast falling aerials or retreating with em... its all how you want to do it really though

Schwaumlaut

Smash Apprentice
I remember in the b-sticking discussion a few months ago, people were talking about activating neutral bs with the c-stick. It had something to do with tilting it veeeerrrrry slightly up and in one direction, but I didn't pay too much attention since I need my c-stick fairs like a crack baby needs the ICU.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
neutral b sticking is a slight perfectly diagonal tilt i believe.

from a standpoint of not wanting to muck up i think its safer to just use A. you don't want to uair while trying to nair

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
C-sticking is a must for Marth. For me atleast tap jump is also much more effective than using x or y as marth, though I do use x for most other characters I play. I just find it lets you control him so much more easily.

The claw grip sounds like it would make using x or y a lot easier though since you can hit jump and keep your thumb on the cstick

Slithe

Smash Apprentice
I use both to keep my opponent guessing, but when it comes down to it, I'd probably go with C-Stick because then you have a better chance of hitting your opponent and won't accidentally go over them especially with the smaller characters.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
to keep your opponent guessing?! HA? HA ? .... srry to me its only preference haha really if you feel you can do better with A aerials then do it but if you think you like c sticking then go for it if you like both your Preference

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
I use the c-stick, but I move my thumb frequently, as I love Marth's nair. :3

Kaiasian

Smash Cadet
So... are we all getting thumb cramps from XY button to c-stick?

I should learn to use the c-stick for retreating fairs... i've accidentally used bair a bit too much...

Scott!

Smash Lord
Honestly, I used to think it was pretty much the same either way, but after using the C-Stick for retreating fairs and just allowing better air control in general, it really is superior. Not using it won't kill your game, perhaps, but it really does limit you and put a cap on how good you can really be. At least, this is my experience.

Of course, I use the A button too. Nair is just too good, and too much fun.

A Button/C-Stick mindgames are an auto-win, though. I mean, if the opponent doesn't know how much maneuverability you'll have during your aerials, they may as well just SD as soon as you short hop.

Top Bottom