• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
got 2 practice more bert, ledge **** takes more than 40 mins of practice. Especially with tournament pressure. What specifically were you practicing?

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
When I'm on the ledge and an opponent is either approaching or at the ledge, is it wise to drop down, immediately jump, and go straight into a knee? Or is that too easily gimped to be viable? I've used it a few times on a friend, but I'm not sure if it's good to use against other competitive smashers.

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
ill assume your talking about ledgehop knee? It is viable for the most part. However good players will expect you do to it and bait it. So mix it up.

Where in Arkansas are you from? I live in fayettevile and go to the university here. if you are close and want to melee it up let me know.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
got 2 practice more bert, ledge **** takes more than 40 mins of practice. Especially with tournament pressure. What specifically were you practicing?
I can do an adequate invinc ledgedash consistently in tourney usually (long enough to buffer roll while invincible), but I've been trying to get more invincibility/distance. Also getting my refresh timing better because I'm still not 100% perfect especially if in tourney. sometimes have a frame or 2 of vulnerability at the top right before i grab ledge because i don't start to refresh early enough. The overcompensation of pressing down too early leads to only reading the jump on ledge => tournament winner. Obviously it's a long process to get tournament consistent with tech; I wasn't implying that I only spent 40 minutes lifetime on my ledgegame... just the night before.

I had also just finished getting my **** pushed in by silent spectre to knock me into losers so was still a little jarred...

re ledgehop aerials: They're really good until you face someone who doesn't suck at spacing around them. At that point it becomes situational for when they mess up their spacing. But you should be proficient with them as a tool in your arsenal for edgeguarding (invincible ledge hop reverse knee is really good against spacies upB recovery) and as a ledge option when your opponent screws up.

Last edited:

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
haha damn, jelly you get to play SS. Cant even imagine what its like playing in cali.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
ill assume your talking about ledgehop knee? It is viable for the most part. However good players will expect you do to it and bait it. So mix it up.

Where in Arkansas are you from? I live in fayettevile and go to the university here. if you are close and want to melee it up let me know.
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely start practicing more to work out different techniques.

I'm currently going to a university in Arkadelphia, but when I'm not at university (Winter Break and Summer Break) I live near Harrison.

Last edited:

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
haha damn, jelly you get to play SS. Cant even imagine what its like playing in cali.
Playing with Lord is even better! He offers more actionable advice!

The competition is really, really tough in norcal. I've only taken a handful of tournament matches against PR'ed players and still not a single set. Luckily, lots of tournaments (literally every week there's at least 1, frequently 2 or 3, tournament within 40 minute drive), very friendly scene, and very high density of different skill levels so you can always find someone near your skill to play. I highly encourage you to come by sometime :D

Last edited:

strongboy

Smash Cadet
Playing with Lord is even better! He offers more actionable advice!

The competition is really, really tough in norcal. I've only taken a handful of tournament matches against PR'ed players and still not a single set. Luckily, lots of tournaments (literally every week there's at least 1, frequently 2 or 3, tournament within 40 minute drive), very friendly scene, and very high density of different skill levels so you can always find someone near your skill to play. I highly encourage you to come by sometime :D
That's sick. Norcal's smash scene could almost make up for living in norcal.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
That's sick. Norcal's smash scene could almost make up for living in norcal.
ROFL I don't see anything wrong with living here other than higher cost of living and state income tax. Weather is pretty good, food is pretty good, smash is good. What else could you want?

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
$1 pints & fries w/o truffle oil
garlic fries are the best.

I do most of my drinking outside of bars and restaurants so it costs about the same as other places. It is pretty nuts thinking about how pitchers of beer would be like $4 or $5 some days in college.

strongboy

Smash Cadet
garlic fries are the best.

I do most of my drinking outside of bars and restaurants so it costs about the same as other places. It is pretty nuts thinking about how pitchers of beer would be like $4 or $5 some days in college.
Yeah, I'm from Ohio & you can't afford not to drink here.

I visited a friend in Berkeley a couple weeks ago. The area's okay I guess but we ate out a lot & everything was expensive & goofy. Just wanted some stick to your bones food so I could pour more booze into myself but you end up eating 3$ burger sliders with swiss chard & kale.

strongboy

Smash Cadet
Starts working at 68.
Okay, I still can't do this. I have a lot of problems with uthrow=>uair vs Shiek & Marth but I think its mostly because I can't instant uair consistently. I should be able to get that combo vs both at 0% right? Or at least by 30 for sure?

I can manage uthrow => sh knee vs Marth at 68% but I think he's outta hitstun by the time I touch his toes. Uthrow => knee is fh though, right? I don't know why I can't manage it. I'm getting faired or naired when I try. Slow acting out of uthrow or maybe I need to rising knee.

I don't know. I'm so bad at this game.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Okay, I still can't do this. I have a lot of problems with uthrow=>uair vs Shiek & Marth but I think its mostly because I can't instant uair consistently. I should be able to get that combo vs both at 0% right? Or at least by 30 for sure?

I can manage uthrow => sh knee vs Marth at 68% but I think he's outta hitstun by the time I touch his toes. Uthrow => knee is fh though, right? I don't know why I can't manage it. I'm getting faired or naired when I try. Slow acting out of uthrow or maybe I need to rising knee.

I don't know. I'm so bad at this game.
uthrow -> uair doesn't work until ~30ish for both. Def not at 0%. You can practice instant uair by hitting standing fox... Also you might need to dash faster after your uthrow to convert properly.

uthrow -> knee vs Marth at 68%? Yeah, should be FH, and you're probably just a little slow. You can practice in 20xx hackpack to get it down. Theoretically you don't need for them to still be in hitstun for it to combo, Just out of hitstun + frames of their intercepting action. Sheik nair is out on frame 3... Marth fair is frame 4.

I would consult Falcon index thread for the percents on these things.

strongboy

Smash Cadet
uthrow -> uair doesn't work until ~30ish for both. Def not at 0%. You can practice instant uair by hitting standing fox... Also you might need to dash faster after your uthrow to convert properly.

uthrow -> knee vs Marth at 68%? Yeah, should be FH, and you're probably just a little slow. You can practice in 20xx hackpack to get it down. Theoretically you don't need for them to still be in hitstun for it to combo, Just out of hitstun + frames of their intercepting action. Sheik nair is out on frame 3... Marth fair is frame 4.

I would consult Falcon index thread for the percents on these things.
I think I saw the 0% **** on the smash reddit & thought it was wrong but I'm a trusting guy.

I use a gamecube so I can't do the 20xx stuff. I'll just keep trying to do uthrow => knee til its easy. Been meaning to learn instant uair for a while now I have some good motivation for it.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member

Would you guys say an Aggro Falcon is more rewarding than a Patient one?

DouchebagDylan

Smash Rookie
I always have trouble jumping out of an upthrow at the correct moment. I often end up trading my up air after upthrow with a Marth fair because I'm too slow. Any visual cues/timing tips for jumping at the earliest possible moment out of upthrow?

kingbloo92

Smash Rookie
Try to find a personal tell that you can time your jump out of with. For instance, you can act out of U-throw with Fox as soon as he puts his gun away. when I throw w/ Falcon, I wait for the exact moment he goes back to his neutral pose.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
I always have trouble jumping out of an upthrow at the correct moment. I often end up trading my up air after upthrow with a Marth fair because I'm too slow. Any visual cues/timing tips for jumping at the earliest possible moment out of upthrow?
hold l or r as you throw them, the shield popping up will be your visual cue

bleepbleep

Smash Rookie
How do i deal with samus? Every grab i get i can't convert into anything at all because samus just breaks free before i can do anything. should i upthrow or downthrow samus? i lost 2 matches last tournament i went to because i don't know how to properly deal with samus.

NeXi'

Smash Rookie
How do i deal with samus? Every grab i get i can't convert into anything at all because samus just breaks free before i can do anything. should i upthrow or downthrow samus? i lost 2 matches last tournament i went to because i don't know how to properly deal with samus.
Definitely dthrow Samus. You get free knees at certain percents

Mokumo

Smash Ace
About Marth...

Uthrow to knee definitely starts working at 68. No doubt about it. You actually should be short hopping at that point rather than full jump.

Uthrow uair is safe around 30-35 but even then you have to be quick. I've seen hax hit the uthrow uair on Marth as low as 20%, but that's not going to work every time.

M2k told me that once falcon grabs Marth, it's over. Of course we can take that with a grain of salt, but if you play with that mentality, it can only help you.

It's always awesome to hear your opponent get frustrated and swear at themselves when you get a grab. At that point they know it's coming ;)

strongboy

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the Marth advice. Right now all the Marths here really suck so I can win without having a very tight combo game but I definitely wanna push myself to really crush em.

I think I'm gonna get hooked up with a wii in a bit. Gonna get that 20xx hack pack rockin. Whats good **** to practice with it? I know CPUs will actually tech & the l cancel flash thing looks great for me. Anything else I should check out in my quest to be a less awful Falcon?

Mokumo

Smash Ace
Beating up level 2 computers has never been more fun with 20xx. But you can be way more creative with the tools it gives you.

The save states are pretty buggy with the version I have, but you can still use it to practice your combo game. Easy example: get a Marth to 68%, save state, and start practicing your upthrow -> knee combo. You can load the save state back up right when you hit the knee and save a lot of time.

Practicing like this taught me exactly what falcon can and can't do in certain situations. Like if you stomp a spacie around 30% it's a free knee but if they strong DI left or right you get a grab instead

Hoza

Smash Rookie
i love falcon and smash in general. both are equally glorious.

Last edited:

CountOlaf

Smash Cadet
Has Jeapie ever discussed his technique for shield drops? I've been adding them to my game and I think he does the angle shield forward method before dropping, but how does he do it so quickly? I find myself rolling and then dropping usually. Any advice?

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Has Jeapie ever discussed his technique for shield drops? I've been adding them to my game and I think he does the angle shield forward method before dropping, but how does he do it so quickly? I find myself rolling and then dropping usually. Any advice?
Probably easier to get someone to show you in person... There are a million explanations from people good at shield dropping if you wanna read about it.

Made rd 2 pools at DYFWI and played my best in a couple weeks today :D Looking forward to the very tough competition tomorrow...

Last edited:

CountOlaf

Smash Cadet
Probably easier to get someone to show you in person... There are a million explanations from people good at shield dropping if you wanna read about it.

Made rd 2 pools at DYFWI and played my best in a couple weeks today :D Looking forward to the very tough competition tomorrow...
Congrats on the improvement man! Yeah I guess I could be more specific with what I'm asking. Basically, how far can I push forward in shield without rolling to do the angle shield forward-drop method?

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
Congrats on the improvement man! Yeah I guess I could be more specific with what I'm asking. Basically, how far can I push forward in shield without rolling to do the angle shield forward-drop method?
it depends on how fast you do it, but you can do it by using a dash or something and then shielding to automatically have your shield tilted all the way

regarding your earlier post asking how jeapie does it, here it is from the man himself

"hold left/right all the way , shield, press down in the diagonal corner while holding ←→
its controller dependent. you will either spotdodge or get like 90% right"

Top Bottom