• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

RedGamer

Smash Ace
So I've been going back and forth for the last couple of years trying to decide what character I shall main and who's my secondary. for the past year I'm down to Falco (my best main) and Falcon (my first main).

I mained falcon for about a month and a half exclusively in tourney, but then I went back to falco, and now I'm back to falcon.
Whatever >.> I'm still a falcon/falco main even if it kills me.

Edit: also and @Gahtzu and @Jeapie git on mah lvl m8
@ Zhea Zhea let's just agree to disagree and both have fun

Last edited:

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
http://www.twitch.tv/saltyplayground/b/509243345
At 01:59:32

Sup guys, I'm a Fox main who has been wanting to use Falcon as a secondary lately. I haven't really used him often, so I thought maybe you guys can give me some tips on my neutral game and stuff. Can someone also tell me what was good and what wasn't?
I saw this cool moment where you did a super fade-away knee when Falco getup-rolled back. You missed him, but you also spaced out of shine and got a gentleman out of it. Stuff like that is very good, if you can bait out a shine/utilt but space around it, it's a pretty strong mixup against Falco IMO as long as you're quick on the punish.

You were losing momentum hard around the end and you were having trouble pinning Falco down. Feel like here is where platforms help a lot, because you can play around a little bit more to find an opening, or at least calm yourself down. I think you got a little bit antsy with grabs, cuz you got spot-dodged punished a lot. Try delayed knees, they're safe on shield (granted you gentleman or dash immediately) and wreck spot-dodges hard.

Dan -Zodiac-

Smash Apprentice
fadeaway nair oos is probably safest bet, idk of anything guaranteed in that situation
Was watching some Hax games earlier and noticed him block a fox dtilt, close but still outside of shieldgrab range, drop the shield normally then gentleman. Good for those that have the vivid spacial awareness to notice the difference between grab range and jab range I guess.

Zhea

Smash Ace
So I've been experimenting with ways to make people respect my punishment game more and force them to DI properly. However I'm struggling with Marth and Sheik. At the usual kill percents of 70 to 90, I'm not sure what to do with neutral di or behind di other than just knee it. Of course on DI away/ down and away knee is also all I can get, and the timing is bit tighter on those, making it harder for Falcon to get it on reaction. However if he does get it, no DI in the world will save you. So a lot of local Marth's and Sheiks have taken to neutral DI in order to have more distance from the blast zone and have a better chance of living with good DI on the knee. Is there some secret golden link to knee from that DI that makes it inferior? The only thing I could think of way full hop nair, land on top platform then full hop FF knee catch the combo DI, but that stage dependent.

Also what do you guys do to bad DI at around 30 - 50 on Marth/Sheik? I've just been trying to reverse uair to knee.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
I love you, Gravy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Gravy, you are so good! Why didn't you beat Dazwa? Why did you insist on those hail-mary raptor boosts and dair approaches!? I dunno how you've calculated the risk-reward on those, but please, my advice is to just straight up remove em from your gameplay.

Apart from those, your Falcon is incredible. Inspiring stuff, and makes me really want to put a lot more practice in.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Congrats, Gravy.

Hopefully, this will get the Falcon community hyped, and convince many that the dream is not dead.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Shield drops are crucial.

Falcon's good, but the only way he's going to make it to the top is if Falcon mains practice the tactics that other high tiers can afford to live without. (Shield drops, power shields, pivoting, etc.)

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Look I know there are probably 50 threads explaining the Gentleman technique but you see I am lazy to look, so will someone explain to me the best way to do the gentleman. I know of the A,A,A but for that (I think) you have to space the A's out perfectly and the opponent can jump out. How does someone like S2J do dat ****?

EDIT: Also, how to I do the ledge drops fast like Falcon mains do?

Last edited:

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has done extensive research into Falcon's crouch-cancel, especially against getup attacks. I noticed both Lord and Hax using it at TNE and I'm watching some YT videos of Lord doing it against a Falco. They CC getup attacks into dash -> regrabs.

It looks like it makes tech-chasing even more air tight than it already is, but I would like to know if there are any percents when getup attack causes Falcon to fall over, even when crouching. Would be good to know this against any character, but Fox/Falco/Falcon are probably the priority cuz tech-chasing for crucial for these MUs.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I really need to CC more. It's good, especially for Falcon. I just forget because he doesn't have any immediate punish out of it.

Well, Gentleman, kinda.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
I really need to CC more. It's good, especially for Falcon. I just forget because he doesn't have any immediate punish out of it.

Well, Gentleman, kinda.
I've CC'd aerials into grabs. Punishes sloppy fox nairs hard and prevents them from going gung ho nair plane status on your ass

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Solid option. Just have to adjust my spacing so it lands. It's much better than shielding.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
CC into grab
CC into gentleman (*****)
CC into stomp or whatever aerial

Zhea

Smash Ace
I've done extensive research into it, but I that was a blind area I'll need to resolve next time I sit down and grind some more out. What I can tell you is out of the top tiers, Falcon's CC percents are among the best, even topping Peach and Sheik by a good 5% - 10% depending on move. He out classes fox by a good 15% - 20%. For example, while most people are quoting 40% as the magic cc number for Sheik's dash attack, Falcon can CC to around 70%. I honestly think most people could go to 50%, but I haven't tested that.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Had no idea you could cc into an aerial, especially stomp. Guess I underestimated how fast Falcon gets out of stun.

onehunna

Smash Cadet
Searched for this on the Index thread but didn't find much. What are Falcon's options out of shield? This has been a major weak-point of mine recently.

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
Searched for this on the Index thread but didn't find much. What are Falcon's options out of shield? This has been a major weak-point of mine recently.
It's actually a weak-point of Falcon, not just you. There aren't too many good options. WD OoS is one of his best imo, but you should probably wait for someone a bit more knowledgable to tell you what's good.

dkuo

Smash Lord
<not a cf main but everyones options are kinda similar so yeah>

you have roll, spotdodge, jump, shieldgrab, and release shield

on platforms you can shielddrop (gravy comes to mind)
near edges of plat/stage you can take a shieldhit to slide off the edge. not too familiar with this though

from what i understand falcon's spotdodge lasts longer than average and his roll is pretty clunky, so try to avoid overuse. correct me if im wrong
i recommend wavedashing out of shield in place to substitute release shield. i think its faster and you also wont do a shield action during release animation by accident
shieldgrab is good when you identify openings. remember you can shieldgrab slightly behind you too

jump is pretty flexible, can lead to:
- wd (very useful multi-use option, usually my default)
- aerial (each have their own use. sh insta-uair oos is hard and you could practice getting it consistent)
- usmash (ehhh you can catch stragglers with this sometimes but idk)
- upb (sometimes works lol, catch plat shielders by surprise or something. actually just forget this option exists)
- jump away into the sky for other stuff like wavelanding into the proverbial sunset (platforms) or swimming in the infinite spread of space above the stage

Last edited:

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
<not a cf main but everyones options are kinda similar so yeah>

you have roll, spotdodge, jump, shieldgrab, and release shield

on platforms you can shielddrop (gravy comes to mind)
near edges of plat/stage you can take a shieldhit to slide off the edge. not too familiar with this though

from what i understand falcon's spotdodge lasts longer than average and his roll is pretty clunky, so try to avoid overuse. correct me if im wrong
i recommend wavedashing out of shield in place to substitute release shield. i think its faster and you also wont do a shield action during release animation by accident
shieldgrab is good when you identify openings. remember you can shieldgrab slightly behind you too

jump is pretty flexible, can lead to:
- wd (very useful multi-use option, usually my default)
- aerial (each have their own use. sh insta-uair oos is hard and you could practice getting it consistent)
- usmash (ehhh you can catch stragglers with this sometimes but idk)
- upb (sometimes works lol, catch plat shielders by surprise or something. actually just forget this option exists)
- jump away into the sky for other stuff like wavelanding into the proverbial sunset (platforms) or swimming in the infinite spread of space above the stage
Just out of curiosity, are you a Falcon main? I live in NorCal but I don't know you.

T-R3X

Smash Cadet
don't spotdodge
roll is okay
wavedash oos is good
up b?? kinda (aka very) situational but can work
don't spotdodge
shieldgrab, but don't get greedy with it. you can probably shield grab most aerial attacks. double jump cancel characters (peach yoshi etc) maybe not so much. against falco you can shield grab his pressure but you have to watch his aerials (late aerial - shield grab after shine, early aerial - shield grab before shine) or if he messes up his fastfall it's free. roll isn't bad, but don't over use it. buffer rolls out of shield pressure.

don't spotdodge.

KrustyKurt

Smash Cadet
Instant u-air is the only reliable way to hit someone that's standing in front of your shield. This will work even on fox, but it is spacing dependent. It poo - poos on anybody that is falco's height or taller.
If that won't work, WD OOS is your best option, really.
Knee OOS will punish certain laggy moves that hit your shield like peach's D-smash if they spaced it poorly or you shield DI out really well. You'll know when this will work so don't go trying to whip it out at every opportunity.
If they are being stupid and hitting your shield unsafely, stomp will quickly teach them not to do that anymore.
You can technically up smash out of shield but most of the time, even if you miraculously clip them with the first hit, they will DI and not get hit by the strong kick; at which point they'll probably 0-death you because you're captain falcon and chock full of hubris.
Up-B out of shield will work once in a blue moon if you opponent is not expecting it but do not make a habit out of this, you're not ganon.

CountOlaf

Smash Cadet
So what exactly is the timing for missed tech stomps on spacies? I use it from time to time and almost always find myself not getting the pop-up from dair. I thought the general timing was once you see the green from impact, but is there anything more specific than that? And are there slow motion gifs of spacie tech rolls and stuff so I can learn the specific timings? Sorry for the specific question.

onehunna

Smash Cadet
Congratulations to both of y'all. Keep grinding.

Got another question. Improving my micro game as Falcon. Where do I get started? Gentleman's is an obvious one, however beyond that I sometimes find myself panicking in close-up situations if I've whiffed an aerial, expecting a punish. My pivot grabs are improving, but I've been wondering if there are any other micro techniques or ideologies I should be keen to. What do you guys think of SHFFL'd stomp out of shield, or after a jab?

Last edited:

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
to improve id say the biggest thing is to work on follow ups. the technical things will come with experience. Focus on regrabbing/techchases, kneeing missed techs, edgeuarding, and just overall reacting to what your opponent does. Basically catch on to their bad habits. Obv easier said than done but youve got to start somewhere. another big thing to work on is covering platform options. A simple uthrow onto a platform followed by stomp knee or just knee can really change the momentum. use stomp out of shield SPARINGLY at most cause it is easy to punish. go back and read s2j's post and make yourself familiar with the falcon index. There is lots of great info there. of course watch hax vids for edgeguarding cause that dude seriously made an art form of edgeguarding

Top Bottom