• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

Windrose

Smash Lord
I think the only falcon that appeared on stream during apex was thumbs way up. He did wreck eggm though so there's that.

It's not looking good for falcon players in 2014.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
only falcon i played at apex was slox for 2 friendlies. The tournament was run so badly, pretty sure I won't be going to another APEX.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Welp, shout outs to Nakamaru for the friendlies and S2J for the MM. My Falcon needs to get a lot faster and my neutral needs to become a lot stronger. GGs. Also good **** in teams Johnny.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
lool, i don't think you needed to MM him. he's the kinda guy who'll sit down and play friendlies with just about anyone. then again, i dunno, maybe there were a ****ton of people lining up to play him, so getting a MM is a good way to make sure you get some games with him

and johnny's hella good
hella hella good

Zhea

Smash Ace
I actually mm a ton of top level players that weekend. Also I did it for the pressure. Playing friendlies is all well and good, but $10 bucks for the equivalent of a stacked bracket is a hell of a steal considering you already paid for travel and housing.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
I actually mm a ton of top level players that weekend. Also I did it for the pressure. Playing friendlies is all well and good, but $10 bucks for the equivalent of a stacked bracket is a hell of a steal considering you already paid for travel and housing.
Pullin a KDJ? That's the way to do it.

S l o X

Smash Champion
other falcons made me realize just how much more work i have to do. johnny and gahtzhu in particular.

wish any of my matches got streamed because they were all good. beat Alan and Ciz, lost to Col Bol and TAI.

don't think i was playing my best at all that weekend but that's what comes with growing. not sure how the top players do it.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Gahtzhu was goin back and forth with johnny?

Too cool. Hoping he brings some upsets in the coming future

Dan -Zodiac-

Smash Apprentice
Excited to hear about Gahtzu. Had been paying attention to him and Thumbs the past few months and hope they continue to get better. Sucks that I wasn't on here leading up to Apex to try and play some of you guys there. Oh well, back to the lab.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
other falcons made me realize just how much more work i have to do. johnny and gahtzhu in particular.

wish any of my matches got streamed because they were all good. beat Alan and Ciz, lost to Col Bol and TAI.

don't think i was playing my best at all that weekend but that's what comes with growing. not sure how the top players do it.
GGs dude. I would have loved to play more than just the 2 friendlies we did, but had to watch my homeboy swedish's tourney matches.

Barely did any friendlies at APEX :[

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the love falcon bros <3
I'm always getting closer to reaching my perfect form
If I had to give a few pieces of advice it would be.....

- Please focus on practicing your shield dropping, falcon needs every option thats available to him and so many people don't know how to deal with it since someone shielding on a platform has been ingrained in people's minds as the person being in a terrible position. However this is only defensive shield dropping, there is a whole other offensive spectrum that aids falcon as well.
Here is the tut Pi made that I learned from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvKMEVu0mhU
- PRACTICE YOUR NAIRS. Make sure you get the first hit in as high as you can and the second hit in as low as you can, and of course make sure to almost always be hitting with your toes. Some of you may already know but characters' hurt boxes end at their ANKLES, so our entire foot + some more distance passed the toe makes nair a disjointed monster. I've found that so many characters can get completely shutdown with constant spaced nairs.
- Focus on your spacing mixups. Every falcon dashes always after a whiffed aerial so people will always run in after the aerial to catch you. Mix that up with a jab or gentleman after an aerial instead and you catch them trying to catch you lmao
- One more thing I'd like to mention is shield pivoting, not only does it make pivoting aerials easy to do but it also gives you a plethora of spacing mixups with your dash. In the example where a falcon would dash away after an aerial, say a fox is rushing in for a deep nair to catch you running. You throw your shield up mid dash so the fox nairs your shield and lands in front of you, if you mind gamed them successfully then you'll get a free shield grab. Falcon has the longest stride in the game, so at any point during your long ass dash you can shield and mix up how far you're dashing away/forward. Being able to aerial out of your shield also lets shield pivoting space your aerials effectively.

In this new metagame of spazzy foxes and gay shieks falcon must use his shield as an offensive option

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
if falcon could do tilts out of shield. do you think it would be a noticable improvement to his game? or not all too important?

Twinkles

Smash Lord
overall, i feel like it wouldn't help much. his tilts are still pretty slow, so i don't think they really help as OOS options against shield pressure. still, shield pivot tilts sounds like an interesting option to add to his ground game.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
- PRACTICE YOUR NAIRS
Quoted for emphasis. The big difference playing Fox vs Hax compared to any other Falcon is that he consistently wins, not trades, in nair wars unless significant effort is placed into positioning and nair setups.

Sorry we didn't get to play more btw.

Dan -Zodiac-

Smash Apprentice
Since it has a similar hitbox off the toes, are there any situations in the neutral game short-hop/approach wars where uair would be a better option? It comes out 1 frame faster and a little lower than nair, and you can also jump out of it. Certainly nothing to make up for the followups you get from nair but maybe there's something.

xoxo~gossipgirl

Smash Rookie
- PRACTICE YOUR NAIRS. Make sure you get the first hit in as high as you can and the second hit in as low as you can
is this right? am i nairing wrong? in neutral game, if i'm spacing nairs i'm always trying to get both hits as low as possible—instant rising nair and fastfall between the hits to get mid-low (instead of high-high or high-mid, which i use for carries, or high-low, which i basically only ever do on sweeping nairs because i suck at controlling those).

also shoutouts to pivot shield and pivot stop; they really are great options for kiting people back without committing to pivot nair.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I am not 100% sure, but I think doing a high-low nair means you did it as fast as you can. Anything else and you would have delayed your nair or your fast-fall.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
I'm sorry to say I have no new questions or info for anyone but I do have one thing to say: Falcon is awesomeness personified. Falcon is manliness personified. Falcon is hard to use, but I want to use him more often. IDK guys, it's lookin grim for our hero...

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
Since it has a similar hitbox off the toes, are there any situations in the neutral game short-hop/approach wars where uair would be a better option? It comes out 1 frame faster and a little lower than nair, and you can also jump out of it. Certainly nothing to make up for the followups you get from nair but maybe there's something.

yes insta uair is good for stuffing approaches. If you've conditioned them with seeing you SHFFL your aerials then they will try to punish a whiffed insta uair and then u can certainly double jump and punish with an aerial

KrustyKurt

Smash Cadet
Learned the timing to consistently grab spacies out of side - b
I am so happy you have no idea

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
Great post Gahtzu. Nice to see that that shieldropping video was uploaded in 2011. That method of shielddropping is the same i use and im happy to see more people useing it these days
Especially falcon bro`s.

PS: Im hopeing to go for some upsets at Beast 4 which will be 12-16 of feb. I will have to PRACTICE MY NAIRS though!

Top Bottom