• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

6VI6

Smash Apprentice
I do like all the options you get from wall jumping on Yoshi's, but the stage does just seem too small. And I do significantly worse against spacies on Yoshi's for reasons I'm not sure of yet, but I guess it's just not enough space.

I think stadium is ok for falcon, just camp through the bad transformations. Though the small slopes do screw up things at times. The platforms when there is no transformation aren't the best for avoiding lasers but I think it's enough to be much better than FD.

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
It just depends on the player. I prefer FoD over FD cause i need platforms. Even if they are badd for the charackter.

random tech skill practice helped alot for myself on a stage like YS. especially edge cancelling.
Getting faster is getting better.
Slowing down your gameplay is always available.

D

Deleted member

Yoshi's being a good pick depends on how good the fox is at close range pressure its a bad pick if they are almost flawless

only way i would worry about taking there is MANGO and thats it personally

6VI6

Smash Apprentice
^That is one sexy recovery, definitely have to practice that. Probably doable on stadium too.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Indeed it is possible on stadium. Yoshi's is good for practice though because the background has **** that makes it easier to judge your spacing

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
yoshi's really depends on who you are playing against and how fast you are comfortable playing. if you don't like playing fast you should obv avoid going there. i like fast paced matches so i go there, but i still get overwhelmed at times. idk if i can disagree more about ps being garbage for spacies

edit: sometimes i go to yoshi's even though i am worried about being able to keep up (e.g. against sfat) b/c the early kills mitigate the lack of space somewhat. you have to play a more aggressive game on yoshi's though so dd campy players should avoid it imo

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I think you do worse on Yoshi's because fighting spacies is harder than just running away from then

Platform techchasing with stomp is awesome on Yoshi's

Windrose

Smash Lord
changing the topic slightly based on what tarheeljks said:

can falcon play aggressively against space animals if the space animals also play aggressively? that seems like a very hard to win situation. i say this based on what hax said regarding how to play depending on the kind of spacies you play against. if you play against campy ones you have to approach and get aggressive on them but against aggressive ones, you have to slow down the pace of the match and camp more/play more defensively.

Blast zones aren't the only reason Yoshi's is good for killing. Covering tech chase options on the platforms is really easy on that stage. Also, it won't help against Fox, but here's some recovery technology I've been practicing there.. tutorial video in production atm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XrXgFDK9qE&feature=youtu.be
holy crap...wow you're really consistent with that...but i dunno how useful that really is since you're probably gonna get hit in the face if you try to recover like that...falcon already has really huge hurt boxes when up-bing.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
I also think it's a bit ironic that the recovery trick is probably only going to be useful for killing falcon hanging on the ledge in falcon dittos. But having more options can't hurt. I'll say, after practicing this a lot, it can even be hard for me to know if it will ledge cancel, so maybe it will **** with the opponent as well, given that waiting for Falcon to land is usually a decent option.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Questions:

1) Is there a specific DI I need to tech Falco's down smash when recovering?

2) Is there a specific DI I need to tech Marth's foward smash when recovering?

3) If the above are not true, is there a certain spacing I need to get the tech?

4) I heard in the Rule 6 S2J vs Bob$ match that there is a specific way you have to DI to get the tech on BF. Is that true and if so what is it?

Windrose

Smash Lord
you should be holding in towards the stage since you're up'bing but that's probably not what you're asking about.

what they're probably talking about is SDI.

if you aren't close enough to the ledge, you need to SDI towards the ledge on marth fsmash or falco downsmash so you can tech it.

other than that. it doesn't really matter if you are close enough to the ledge. it's just a matter of timing. holding a direction during the tech will dictate whether you get the wall jump tech or just normal tech.

Zhea

Smash Ace
I feel like there is something more to it. I have the timing down, I can reliably tech it when I double jump from bellow the edge, but when I try to do it during falcon's up-b I rarely get it unless I was so low there was a chance I wasn't going to grab the edge. When I saw S2J do it, he was using the reverse up b trick on battle field so falcon's body was closer to the stage. It also feels like falcons up-b pushes him away from the edge before grabbing it.

This is the # 1 way I get edge guarded and I feel like a total nub for it.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
any good tipsies for playing falcon in teams?

i'm thinking of playing teams with a peach player at koc2, but general teams tips would be quite good too

Windrose

Smash Lord
I feel like there is something more to it. I have the timing down, I can reliably tech it when I double jump from bellow the edge, but when I try to do it during falcon's up-b I rarely get it unless I was so low there was a chance I wasn't going to grab the edge. When I saw S2J do it, he was using the reverse up b trick on battle field so falcon's body was closer to the stage. It also feels like falcons up-b pushes him away from the edge before grabbing it.

This is the # 1 way I get edge guarded and I feel like a total nub for it.
there shouldn't be more to it but maybe someone else can tell you more.

You shouldn't be getting hit by downsmash or forward smash if you're double jumping to grab the ledge (sweet spot it).

A GREAT way to practice ledge teching when you're up-bing:
play against lvl 9 game and watch cpu (99 stock or infinite time) with a stage you want to practice ledge teching on.

just put yourself off stage and keep up-bing to the ledge and he will always do something that is usually techable (unless you're too low percent) like down tilt, or something.

it really shouldn't be that hard to do and other than the SDI to get you in closer when you're not close enough...the rest is just timing and easy to get with practice.

Also, don't feel too bad if you miss these in tournament, you should be dead anyways if you're recovering with up-b as falcon ESPECIALLY if you're coming from below the stage. they can always grab the ledge and ledge hop dair you.

any good tipsies for playing falcon in teams?

i'm thinking of playing teams with a peach player at koc2, but general teams tips would be quite good too
falcon + peach combo? that seems weird.

don't go for long combos, end with knee whenever you can. pay attention to your ally and what he is doing. help out your ally if he's in trouble, you can run fast to get to them.

I think silent spectre played the best teams falcon. he does a lot of double jumps and try to hit knees as much as possible. make sure you can readily knee every time your ally grabs an opponent (don't be noob and hit your ally as well with the knee). you can even hit the opponent and not hit your ally if the person is grabbed facing away from you!! (see silent spectre videos)

if your partner launches an opponent out some how, try to connect it with a knee. cherry pick knees as much as possible!!

spam moves. i dunno lol...doubles is weird man especially with a peach falcon team.

6VI6

Smash Apprentice
As far as the trick for teching on battlefield goes

I remember s2j posting about SDI down to ledgetech there. I don't understand why that would be the case, though.

Hax

Smash Champion
any falcon team without fox on it is a gimmick (i consider any rushdown team without fox in front a gimmick). best strategy for falcon in teams is to have fox go in and be an opportunist with knee

use knee in the neutral game more than usual

after getting grabs, your partner should hold them a lot so that you can knee or stomp knee

after any knockdown, techchase with stomp, knee or side-b. never go for a grab. long strings are bad in teams, you have to go for the hard hits. this is why my style doesn't translate over to teams well and why i personally don't like it

Divinokage

Smash Legend
any falcon team without fox on it is a gimmick (i consider any rushdown team without fox in front a gimmick). best strategy for falcon in teams is to have fox go in and be an opportunist with knee

use knee in the neutral game more than usual

after any knockdown, techchase with stomp, knee or side-b. never go for a grab. long strings are bad in teams, you have to go for the hard hits. this is why my style doesn't translate over to teams well and why i personally don't like it
Hm?? The hell you saying, you seem to place pretty damn good in teams, your style doesnt work.. lol. I cant believe that.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
I think you do worse on Yoshi's because fighting spacies is harder than just running away from then

Platform techchasing with stomp is awesome on Yoshi's
I don't do worse against all soace animals on Yoshi's, don't think I said I did? Just hyper aggro ones. Yes tech chasing on yoshis is nice, but this still misses the point. Falcon suffers more in tight spaces (on paper) than fox. the degree to which this is true in practice obv varies based on player preference. Some spacies don't like fast paced matches, in which case Yoshi's is astage I would cp. But against a space animal who wants to bear down on your ass going to Yoshi's is not preferable. Saying ' you can't just run away' is true but is arguing against a point I never made. do you disagree that falcon needs more space? I'd be surprised if anyone did, but if so I'm interested.
Also, it's not like I think Yoshi's doesn't add anything to falcon's game

Windrose

Smash Lord
pewpewu's falcon is pretty good guys. He has shown me how technical and consistent falcon players can be...

hope he plays more falcon in the future. I don't think any falcon (even hax) can do some of the things that pewpewu did that consistently.

i am motivated to reach that kind of consistency with falcon.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
From pewpewu, i got more inspired from the mixups he was doing. his falcon did a lot of tricksies stuff (mindgames), and i think it made him very threatening, especially outside of a shield. his empty hop stuff was gold. also, he got some very tricky punishes, though missed some easy stuff cuz he doesn't main falcon.

on an unrelated note, i finally learned the -consistent- gentleman. all this time, i just accepted that i would hit and miss some gentlemans, but i decided to actually sit down and practice them up and finally am able to do good gentlemans via the magus method. Magus's explanation of gentleman is too good, and every falcon that doesn't gentleman consistently needs to look it up and learn

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Personally, i gentleman doing AA -> hold A, but i tilt the stick in the middle of the second jab to buffer a walk. i would hold the control stick and A until the knee lands, then start freely moving. feel free to share your own if you can do it consistently.

EDIT: Accidentally double-posted, if any mods want to fix this, plz feel free to do so.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I personally find it easier to do any action out of gentleman if I do AA(A+Z) but I AA(hold A) now ~_~

@Tachi - yes that is basically what it means

oksas

oak-sauce
is there a good way to practice powershielding falco lasers other than doing it in actual matches? ie a good way to do it by yourself

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
I'm really good at powershielding lasers and I did it mostly just by running away from level 9 cpu. Eventually I got a second controller and just used two controllers at once. The one limitation here is that you have to watch out for high lasers in match, which require different timing. I don't think that's a huge impediment though, and most falcos aren't super mindful of their laser heights.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have thoughts about what stages are best against Samus? I suck at this matchup, and I think counterpicking/banning better would help me a lot. Here's my basic rundown:
FD: I do poorly because I can't vary my approaches enough and I tend to get CCed a lot. Going off stage is death as well. Combos are nice, but Samus with good DI can live past the point where stomp --> knee or other setups kill her. I don't do well here but it might be me being bad.
Dreamland: Usually I end up striking here. She lives long, but all the normal reasons why it's good for Falcon apply, and it seems to go OK.
Pokemon: I take Samus here a lot but I suck at this stage generally. Sometimes I get ****ed by her camping and I would like to have a top platform, but getting knees with the low platforms, and even the stage changes, help me for this matchup.
FoD: Doesn't seem that bad because Stomp --> Knee is so easy to set up, and it can work at even higher percents if she's below the platform when you hit her. Usual downsides still apply with more difficult combos and you can't horizontally approach Samus beneath a low platform.
Battlefield: ?? Nothing to say. Is there any reason why this stage would be bad or good for this matchup?
Yoshi's: My best stage by far because you can kill Samus so fast and killing her off the platforms is so easy. Doubles knees can kill her here when she would live on other stages.

Top Bottom