• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth's True Combos (Science Thread)

Kienamaru

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kienamaru
3DS FC
2337-6342-5688
Switch FC
6100 0383 6350
This thread will be organized at a later date. For now, enjoy my findings and feel free to list your own.

Bair actually has 4 hitboxes on bair. Sweet, sour, late sweet, late sour.
Neutral B can be grab/shield/jump canceled. This period ends right AFTER the golden light forms on the arrowhead.
Side B snaps to ledges.
Up B Spikes starting at 50%.
Up B does more damage from point blank and grounded.
Down B deals less damage with the aerial version.

Landing Nair
1-45%
Side Tilt
40-140%
Dash Attack (14.5%)

Landing Fair (Sour)
Dash Attack: 25.8
Forward Tilt: 23.4
Down Tilt: 19.8

Landing Bair (Sour, Late)
Forward Tilt: 19.2

Up Tilt (Back hit)
10%>
Up Tilt: 24
1-35%
Nair: 22.7
Uair: 23.7 (works til 55%)
50-60%
Delay, Up B

Down Tilt
10%> Side Tilt: 22.8
Nair: 20.3, Side Tilt: 33.5
1-45%
Up Tilt: 21.6

35%
Up B, instant jump (or Smash) Side B: 41.1

Up B
0-45%
Side B: 34.5
25-35%
Instant jump Bair: 24.6/30.6

On Platform Stages
25-45%
Uair, Uair: 27.6

More to come...

Muramishi

Smash Rookie
I hammered out a combo video for Byleth for those interested. I'll go ahead and drop it here.

Nair strings are super tight most of the time, but there's a 5th hit you can get by fast-falling at the right time that makes follow-ups easier. I don't think I showcased it though.

Last edited:

DemonQueenEtna

Smash Rookie
I hammered out a combo video for Byleth for those interested. I'll go ahead and drop it here.

Nair strings are super tight most of the time, but there's a 5th hit you can get by fast-falling at the right time that makes follow-ups easier. I don't think I showcased it though.
Says your video is private...

Arrei

Smash Lord
Spent some time playing around with Nair's landing hitbox. It starts sending into tumble around 70% for tech chase situations. With a foxtrot forward, Fsmash covers tech in place and no tech, roll in can be caught with sour Fsmash (depending on character) or a hard read Dsmash, roll out can be caught by smash input side special, which will also cover tech in place with the sour hit. The side special option is by far the least preferred and probably doesn't work at all on characters with long tech rolls so it's probably best to only look for landing Nair when you have stage control, to send the opponent near the ledge so tech roll out becomes a bad option.

If you're close enough to the ledge such that the landing Nair sends them just past it instead of hitting the ground, smash input side special seems to reach for the most damaging followup around 70 (won't kill, training room does not register as true), and sweetspot dash attack takes over after 80, becoming capable of kills in this scenario above 90. No way for me to test how different DI affects followup or kill percents though. Both followups become harder or impossible to land if Nair's hitboxes just happen to move such that the spinning bow hitboxes whiff to make only the landing hitbox hit, as the bow hits are necessary to pop the opponent up slightly for a better angle, so beware of Nair being finicky while fishing for this and don't overextend if someone dropped shield against it.

If you land even closer to the edge, like punishing a ledge getup attack close, immediately running off after the opponent with Fair for a sweetspot kill starting from 70 seems to be possible, but unreliable. True combo timing exists but is pretty strict with timing and positioning, requiring Byleth to land very close to the ledge. DI out likely heavily affects how long this works for and you may not be able to land the sweetspot if they DI in. Unreliable on small opponents, true combo timing whiffing entirely on Mario at 80 due to his tumble animation if he is facing you but landing much better if caught in the back. Opponents are able to act around or before falling to ledge height so mixups are likely needed. Stops working entirely without DI by 100 on Mario, but you can menace opponents with side special in this situation, smash input can reach opponents for a little while.

It also seems to be possible to reach a missed tech for a jab lock for a fairly large percent range by foxtrotting forward once then fully dashing the rest of the way*, which works during Usmash kill percent (~97%). Could be an option if you're not feeling committal to a big attack, and worked up to 130% after foxtrot Fsmash began to whiff. (*Just dashing normally seemed to sometimes work but this reached more reliably.)

The downside to all this seems to be that Nair can be rather temperamental to work with, with opponents sometimes passing through Byleth to get launched the other direction, or opponents sometimes falling out of a FF Nair without getting hit by the landing hit, on top of Byleth's air speed woes. If Nair's hitboxes could get fixed to work more like the other lingering "fan" like Nairs, that would be a pretty big bonus to Byleth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom