• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth: Joins House Smash Brothers Social Thread

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, is there anything more legit than a Japanese guidebook as far as sources go? It's not even like the fake Prima leak since there's an actual screenshot and all.

It's not like we're expecting IS staffers to outright admit that there was a slip-up, right?

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Well, is there anything more legit than a Japanese guidebook as far as sources go? It's not even like the fake Prima leak since there's an actual screenshot and all.

It's not like we're expecting IS staffers to outright admit that there was a slip-up, right?
All I am saying is, be cautious.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I dunno, it seems a bit much to expect a person to go to Grinch levels of messing with people's heads to the point that they go as far as printing a Japanese guidebook. Don't believe what you see if you want, I've had enough of trying to convince, I'm out.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I've seen people saying Edelgard should get in because Byleth has too little personality.
cough cough robin and corrin cough cough
Eh,Robin and Corrin do in fact have set personalities(what do you think is one of the main reasons people hate the later?), Byleth has as well, but it is not one many people like(stoic, reserved, rarely emotes and a little sarcastic).

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Okay, so here’s a new moveset I made (and one a bit more educated):

Who?
Byleth Eisner is the central protagonist of Fire Emblem: Three Houses and the Avatar archetype. Prior to the events of the game, they are born without any kind of heartbeat, at the cost of his mother’s life. His father, Jeralt (a former captain of the Knights of Seiros), runs away with the beat-less baby by faking their death in a fire. He then trains them over the course of roughly 21 years to become a mercenary, earning them the title “Ashen Demon”. One day, Byleth has a dream about a sleepy girl with green hair. Before they can get clearer with her, they wake up and describe the vague dream to Jeralt.

Before long, however, they’re both interrupted when bandits come and attack the village they’re at, giving pursuit to three youths named Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude. After clearing out the bandits, Byleth and co. head to Garreg Mach Monastery, a place Jeralt hasn’t been for over two decades. The archbishop, Rhea, thanks Byleth by offering them the title of Professor at the Officer’s Academy, which is short a professor. From there, Byleth can choose to teach a house of students between the Adrestian Empire’s Black Eagles, the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus’s Blue Lions, and the Leicester Alliance’s Golden Deer.

Importance to Nintendo: Despite being fairly recent, Three Houses is one of the most successful games in the series; so successful, in fact, there was even a limited-time tournament in Tetris 99 with a Three Houses theme. As well, characters from Three Houses eventually appeared in the mobile game Fire Emblem Heroes. And despite this success, there's currently no Three Houses content in Smash Ultimate this far. This isn't a sure sign, but it's still rather suspicious.

Intro: Byleth emerges from a Warp circle and hoists the Sword of the Creator on their shoulders.

Stance/Idle 1: Their idle animation from Three Houses.

Idle 2: Their victory animation from Three Houses, but slightly longer.

Idle 3: Their animation from Three Houses when he is selected for combat.

Crawl: No
Wall Jump: No
Jumps: 2
Exclusive Abilities: Yes
Weight Class: B
Height Class: B+
Speed Class: B
Mirrored: No

Notable Palette Swaps:
1: Default Male
2: Default Female
3: Dimitri (Male)
4: Edelgard (Female
5: Claude (Male)
6: Enlightened One Outfit (Female)
7: Enlightened One Outfit (Male)
8: Jeralt (Female)

Walk: Their free-roam jogging animation from Three Houses.

Dash: Their free-roam sprinting animation from Three Houses.

Damage: Their animation for taking damage from Three Houses.

Jump: Byleth jumps as normal.

Double Jump: Byleth spins around facing diagonally right.

Crouch: Byleth crouches while holding the Sword of the Creator upright with its tip in the ground.

Weapon of Choice: The Sword of the Creator, a mythical sword of Fódlan legends (although Byleth also comes equipped with an Iron Gauntlet for melee attacks).

Basic Attacks:
Jab: Byleth swings the Sword once, then attacks with their Iron Gauntlet in hand, and then turns around to swing their Sword again (5% each hit, and 9% third hit, small knockback)
Forward+A: Byleth slams the Sword down on the ground (11%, small knockback)
Down+A: Byleth kicks the ground with their right foot (7%, small knockback)
Up+A: Byleth summons a small ball of fire above them (8%, small knockback)
Dash+A: Byleth punches with the Iron Gauntlet, and then attacks again with the Sword when A is pressed again (4% first hit, 12% next hit, OK knockback)

Air+A: Byleth swings their Sword in a 360o angle (12%, OK knockback)
Air Forward+A: Byleth pushes their right hand out and casts Thunder (11%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Byleth swings their Sword in an arc behind themselves (14%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Byleth points their Sword above them (11%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Byleth kicks with their right foot down below them, which has a meteor effect (14%, far knockback)

Dash Attack: Byleth charges with their Sword and rams opponents with the bottom of the handle (11%, OK knockback)

Smash Moves
Forward+A: Byleth pulses out an Aura with their right palm (22%, medium knockback)
Up+A: Byleth spins their Sword around above them (20%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Byleth swings their Sword in a 360o spin below them (19%, medium knockback)

Grabs
Grab: Byleth grans the opponent with Nosferatu.
Pummel: Byleth slowly raises the opponent's damage and heals his own, little by little (7%)
Forwards+Throw: Byleth casts a weaker version of Thoron (18%, medium knockback)
Down+Throw: Byleth jumps up and strikes down to the opponent's chest with their elbow (11%, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: Byleth quickly warps behind the opponent and punches them back with their Iron gauntlet (14%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Byleth casts a weaker version of Bolganone (19%, medium knockback)

Special Moves

B : Divine Pulse; Byleth glows a purple aura. When hit, time rewinds by 2 seconds so you can counter attack or move away. However, this uses up ⅓ of the Sword of the Creator's energy.
B + Forwards : Wrath Strike; Byleth prepares a powerful blow with his radiating sword for a second, and slams down with a devastating attack that uses up half of the Creator Sword's energy (27%, far knockback)
B + Up : Ruptured Heaven; Byleth swings the Creator Sword around them four times, with the last swing pushing them diagonally opposite to where the tip faces. Once again, this uses up ⅓ of the Creator Sword's energy (13% first three hits, 21% last hit, medium knockback)
B + Down : Gambit Battalion; Starting off with around 40 Battalion Endurance, Byleth may choose between one of three battalion formations: Disturbance, Fusillade, and Group Magic.

Disturbance (4 EP): A group of soldiers charges forward and rams into the opponent, briefly stunning them afterwards (19%, medium knockback)

Fusillade (7 EP): A rain of arrows diagonally downwards in whatever direction Byleth is facing. It has a moderate chance of a meteor effect (16%, medium knockback)

Group Magic (8 EP): Byleth commands their mages to perform a cycled magic attack. In this order, the spells are:

>Group Fire: A fiery tornado (22%, medium knockback)

>Group Fimbulvetr: A row of icy stalagmites that freezes opponents (21%, medium knockback)

>Group Thunder: A row of five thunderbolts that has a slight chance of a meteor effect (23%, medium knockback)

>Group Aura: A pillar of light that last for 3 seconds (32%, far knockback)

Final Smash: Sublime Heaven. "Here is something to believe in!" Byleth borrows power from an image of a certain progenitor goddess, and swings their Sword five times with each swing being devastatingly powerful (55%, far knockback)

Gimmicks
>The Crest of Flames: Heals 30% of damage taken on occasion, which is indicated when it glows on-screen. It also restores the Creator Sword's energy by about ¼.

>The Sword of the Creator’s energy bar, which is thin yet visible and stretches across the length of the Battalion Endurance gauge. Your specials use up energy, along with consecutive normal attacks that drain energy bit by bit. When it runs out, you’ll have to switch to an Iron Sword. Attacks that use the Sword of the Creator are weakened by ¼, Divine Pulse is completely disabled until your energy recharges, and the distance from the final swing with Ruptured Heaven is slightly reduced.

Taunts:

1: "What's my strategy?" Byleth puts their right hand on their chin in a thinking pose.
2: "Stay focused." Byleth raises their sword out to the opponent.
1+2: "Let the lesson begin!" Byleth points their sword to their right diagonally upwards.

Winposes:

1: "You didn't give it your all." Byleth rests their Sword on the ground and kneels with their left knee sticking up.
2: "Each battle, a chance to grow." Their victory animation from Three Houses.
3: "Another step forward." Byleth let's go of a few flower petals as they look to the horizon.

Icon: The Crest of Flames

Victory Music: 2:06 of Blue Skies and a Battle

Kirby Hat: Byleth's hair, which is different between Male and Female.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So pizzadudemanguy makes cool videos and he just made a great Byleth moveset concept.

I'm a huge fan of it and I think it convinced me to support Byleth just slightly over one of the house leaders. Best of all worlds with this, and those proposed alts are awesome. I love the Enlightened One colors and Bylethgard.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
As someone from the Edelgard thread: I have to admit, part of me feels like I will be genuinely upset if not mad if Byleth gets in.

Its not cause I dont think they dont have potential, its mainly cause that would make them the third freaking avatar rep. Corrin was bad enough, but with Byleth it would set a bad precedent that the FE side will favor silent, self-insert protgonists over actual characters with establish personalities and story.

Bad enough that Japan is crazy for avatar characters thay Byleth has more support thsn the other three leaders. Because imagine that: The FE series has and will have many interesting characters with distinct playstyles, yet all peope want to do is play as swordie self insert avatar.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I feel like Batallions are underrated as moveset options for either Byleth and Edelgard. They're a much more intricate mechanic than trying to retread weapon durability again. In fact, I feel like weapon durability could take a backseat and be a simple mechanism where your sword regains power any time you don't use it which would really only affect damage and knockback. It'd only really break if you overuse it and even it'd regain power over time. Making the difference between full-powered Sword and broken Sword too big would both take away from his other potential mechanics and be a silly retread of what Robin already did.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I feel like Batallions are underrated as moveset options for either Byleth and Edelgard. They're a much more intricate mechanic than trying to retread weapon durability again. In fact, I feel like weapon durability could take a backseat and be a simple mechanism where your sword regains power any time you don't use it which would really only affect damage and knockback. It'd only really break if you overuse it and even it'd regain power over time. Making the difference between full-powered Sword and broken Sword too big would both take away from his other potential mechanics and be a silly retread of what Robin already did.
I agree that doing once again the Weapon Durability mechanic isn't really that interesting, but I don't know how they could implement the Battalions, especially since those would be other models to render and might be problematic in 8 player smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Battalions can be used for a Special attack maybe, and feature cameos of the Three Houses cast even? It's not something I'd personally do honestly, then again I rarely use Gambits in Three Houses anyway.

Also, I definitely am against a weapon durability mechanic on Byleth.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I agree that doing once again the Weapon Durability mechanic isn't really that interesting, but I don't know how they could implement the Battalions, especially since those would be other models to render and might be problematic in 8 player smash.
The models are pretty low-poly and generic in Three Houses, so I doubt it'd be much harder to render than things like Phantom, Wild Gunman and of course Ice Climbers, Pikmin and Luma.

And the Batallions would only be involved in certain moves, most likely just Side B. (Alternatively, they could be Byleth's Smashes, saving the flashy combat art animations for his normals. There's quite a few fun batallions that could work as attacks, such as the explosive cart.)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
And the Batallions would only be involved in certain moves, most likely just Side B. (Alternatively, they could be Byleth's Smashes, saving the flashy combat art animations for his normals. There's quite a few fun batallions that could work as attacks, such as the explosive cart.)
I was thinking they could be Byleth's :GCD::GCB:, with a menu to select from, kinda like :ulthero: (but without the RNG).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ruptured Heaven seems a safe bet for a Final Smash, or something regarding Sothis, and / or maybe Divine Pulse freezing time and doing some crazy stuff. Can't see a simple battalion working for that. Down B seems good for battalions, however, it could always be a straight up Counter. Never dismiss the option of a straight up Counter on any Fire Emblem character.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Trolling
Ah look at all this discussion: Must be nice knowing the character in question has more chances of getting in by virtue of them being the avatar character with the lack of personality that players can self-insert themselves huh?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ah look at all this discussion: Must be nice knowing the character in question has more chances of getting in by virtue of them being the avatar character with the lack of personality that players can self-insert themselves huh?
Your shtick was funnier when you did it the first time in the Joker thread.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh, seems like I never got around to voicing my support. Well, here I am, doing that. Between Edelgard, Claude and Byleth, I honestly have no real preferences over the other, but I suppose I'm just the tiniest bit in Byleth's favour.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Ruptured Heaven seems a safe bet for a Final Smash, or something regarding Sothis, and / or maybe Divine Pulse freezing time and doing some crazy stuff. Can't see a simple battalion working for that. Down B seems good for battalions, however, it could always be a straight up Counter. Never dismiss the option of a straight up Counter on any Fire Emblem character.
Too late, Divine Pulse already exists so he will have a counter.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
if anything else fails, a gambit would still be a pretty cool final smash, for either Byleth or the lords...
I was thinking the Gambit could be the entire playable cast going ham on the opponent.
I'd rather have that over a character I don't like.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
As someone from the Edelgard thread: I have to admit, part of me feels like I will be genuinely upset if not mad if Byleth gets in.

Its not cause I dont think they dont have potential, its mainly cause that would make them the third freaking avatar rep. Corrin was bad enough, but with Byleth it would set a bad precedent that the FE side will favor silent, self-insert protgonists over actual characters with establish personalities and story.

Bad enough that Japan is crazy for avatar characters thay Byleth has more support thsn the other three leaders. Because imagine that: The FE series has and will have many interesting characters with distinct playstyles, yet all peope want to do is play as swordie self insert avatar.
I don't see why not. Adding the main protagonist/main character makes more sense than adding a side main character. And who says we can't get both anyways? By let could be like Robin and maybe one of the house leaders next game just like chrom as a compromise of some sorts. All I can think of, but still.

SS2000

Smash Apprentice
The one thing about Byleth that makes me somewhat interested in him (instead of thinking "Please, not another once-and-donce character when there are still plenty of more notable FE characters more fans want!") is the possibilities Divine Pulse brings to the table. While making it actually rewind time would be possible, that would obviously be too disruptive of matches (especially free for alls). I have seen some interesting ideas for it, from a mechanic that Byleth's whole play-style could revolve around, to a special move with unique properties that could be used to turn things around in interesting ways. But any time I hear somebody suggest just making it another counter akin to Shulk's and other FE character's down B, I get the urge to slap them. lol

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I found a video showing a potential moveset for Byleth. It was made by Delzethin.

Good ol Delz.

Once again, brings up a lot of ideas that help me visualize Byleth’s move set, especially on the Specials department. Would make a couple of changes, but I overall like it.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Consider me part of this hype train. I didn't think Byleth would be coming, but I'm almost 100% positive now

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I didn't even know this thread existed. Definitely put me down as a supporter. Not only was Three Houses up there with Genealogy of the Holy War and Path of Radiance as one of the best Fire Emblems, but Byleth has so many unique elements that could be the basis for a moveset. Obviously the Sword of the Creator being a whip sword comes to mind, but the use of skills, brawling, light magic, battalions, the Divine Pulse, and summoning the other house leaders could be used in the moveset.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
There's a second FE Expo coming in May, and for some reason, neither Byleth is in this artwork.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I didn't even know this thread existed. Definitely put me down as a supporter. Not only was Three Houses up there with Genealogy of the Holy War and Path of Radiance as one of the best Fire Emblems, but Byleth has so many unique elements that could be the basis for a moveset. Obviously the Sword of the Creator being a whip sword comes to mind, but the use of skills, brawling, light magic, battalions, the Divine Pulse, and summoning the other house leaders could be used in the moveset.
Been thinking, and in a way it would be possible to have Byleth use the other house leaders in their moveset. However, not all 3 house leaders would be present in each fight. You choose the house leader before combat according to the matchup. Similar to how you can select a Pokémon for the Pokémon Trainer to start with. However the choice is permanent each battle. Byleth wouldn't change their main move set but the house leader could change... Something? Sort of a Ice Climbers / Arsene sort of idea? I dunno. Smash is probably not complex enough for that but it's a cool idea.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
There's a second FE Expo coming in May, and for some reason, neither Byleth is in this artwork.
From what I could understand it's because they wanted to show just the Lords, that's why Robin isn't present either.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Sure, I'm down with having Byleth around in Smash.
Put me in there on the support list.

Top Bottom