• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth: Joins House Smash Brothers Social Thread

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I wouldn't read too much into it

I mean, a lot of people put among their wants the characters they feel likely. Remember all those "Top 10 most wanted characters for Smash" with Solaire right after Dark Souls was announced for the Switch, even tho very few talk about him nowadays? Or even all the ones who "wanted" Simon Belmont, and then Richter showed up revealing that they are not really into Castlevania?

But again, who people feel likely isn't always who gets in. Remember when Chrom was the shoe in for Smash For, or how nobody predicted Terry Bogard before the leaks.

With that said any support for 3H is great and might help us get noticed.
Accidental double post, pls delete.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
It's hard to imagine Byleth as DLC because of backlash. But a total shoo-in if there's a Deluxe version of the game on Nintendo's next platform. Which I'm predicting will happen.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
You're right yet I can't help but think of all the backlash Byleth would get considering his mixed to negative reception here in the west.
I don't think they would really care for the negative reception of a few haters online (I mean look at Terry and Sans) when 3H is quickly becoming the most sold game in the series with stellar reviews, especially since the game will remain relevant in 2020 due to the season pass.
Also most of the hate comes from being an "anime swordsman", but Byleth's weapon is far from just that. And also for all we know they might as well surprise everybody and put Edelgard or Claude instead who would be archetypes of fighters yet to be seen in Smash with unique weapons.

Last edited:

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
Is Byleth really that hated? He’s my current favorite avatar in the series, though.
The avatars are normally hated in the fire emblem community. But i think Byleth is the best of them. The ability to choose the dialogues of Byleth, make it feel a lot more inmersive than corrin and robin.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No one saying something here? Wtf?

Still no spirits. We will get more DLC for Smash!

Byleth almost guaranteed IMO!
That’s a fair point! And I also support. I’m playing Three Houses non stop since release, completed the Blue Lions and Golden Deer houses already, now almost completed Black Eagle Crimson Flower. And yes Byleth is easily the best choice for a Three Houses character because well yeah, he’s the protagonist and unique to boot. Especially if they make him / her the Elightened One class as a base. Or at least the green hair to set them apart from the other Lords. Brawling, magic, the Sword of the Creator all added into a move set would be awesome and quite effective. I’m totally down for it to happen, and excited that it’s a great possibility now.

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
I think they could also do something with divine pulse and sothis. Travel in time mechanics something like witch time.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think they could also do something with divine pulse and sothis. Travel in time mechanics something like witch time.
Am betting that will be his Down B akin to Witch Time and Shulk’s counter indeed. There’s so man that characters in, might as well reuse a few assets if it works right.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I have a bit of speculation I wanna share:

When TH came out, I was expecting Spirits and Mii Costumes at best, since it wasn't confirmed at the time that DLC would go beyond the Fighter's Pass. However, what we got instead was a Spirit event for Mother's 30th anniversary; no TH-related content anywhere.

This leads me to believe that a TH character is going to be part of the post-pass DLC. Who do you think is more likely? Byleth, Edelgard or neither?

Personally, I'm placing my bets on Byleth, since he's not only the most unique avatar in the series, but also a general candidate for a unique FE rep, what with Brawling, Faith magic, the Crest of Flames, Battalions, and the Sword of the goddamn CREATOR!

(Please forgive my fanboying)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Byleth definitely has the edge over Edelgard. His potential is great, and he would fit the roster well. I really like the character also how the male and female character seem so drastically different! Brawling, magic, Divine Pulse, and the Sword of the Creator would indeed make a awesome move set as I said in my last post. Maybe Sothis can cameo in the Final Smash with Reptured Heaven even. Byleth is a very deep character, and easily the best avatar of Fire Emblem as of yet. I’m also sorry of predicting we might see Mii costumes or Echoes of previous Fire Emblem characters released with Byleth. If Byleth makes it, am expecting them to show up around the time that the Three Houses DLC gets showcased.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Is Byleth really that hated? He’s my current favorite avatar in the series, though.
Byleth is actually well liked in Japan, over here in the west however his situation is basically Edelgard's, you either like him or hate him, it doesn't help the west apparently has a hate boner for silent protagonists.

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
Byleth is actually well liked in Japan, over here in the west however his situation is basically Edelgard's, you either like him or hate him, it doesn't help the west apparently has a hate boner for silent protagonists.
And also the sword anime estigma that Fe characters suffer. Sadly at first sight he looks like it and is so unique from the rest of fe samsh characters, even more than corrin and robin.

Also you can count me in as a support

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
So has anybody made an unusual/unorthodox build for a character in 3H? My previous one involved Swordmaster!Lysithea, I am currently working on...... Warrior! Marianne.

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
So has anybody made an unusual/unorthodox build for a character in 3H? My previous one involved Swordmaster!Lysithea, I am currently working on...... Warrior! Marianne.
I made a double marianne and lysithea falcon knights. With their combat arts they basically one shot every enemy and carry my golden deer run. Also how a warrior Marianne would function?

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I made a double marianne and lysithea falcon knights. With their combat arts they basically one shot every enemy and carry my golden deer run. Also how a warrior Marianne would function?
Bolt Axe. But I have to put Hit+20 and Edmund Troops on her cause the hit rate is GOD AWFUL.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Man, I’m pretty bad at being a support thread owner.

Well, as many of you know, with the recent reveals that there are more Fighters in development, Byleth now has a very legitimate shot at joining the battle. So keep your fingers crossed.

Any new supporters are welcomed with open arms.

I'm surprised this thread isn't more active, what with Three Houses being such a success and the confirmation of more Smash DLC eliminating any concerns over releasing too late to factor into the Pass.
A bit surprised you're here.

You were actually the reason why I made the support thread after your Byleth video.

I found an artist on Twitter who did Heroes-esque artwork depicting the alts Byleth and Edelgard would have.
Interesting alts. Tbh, I’m not really sure if the Enlightened One should be an alt, considering it’s a bit of a spoiler. I’d have Male Byleth’s cape be more purple, and some of the trims be white to better match the color scheme.

I’d also like if all the alts gave them different hair colors, similar to Robin and Corrin, mainly because Male Byleth have an extra different hair color than Female Byleth doesn’t work for me.

Last edited:

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
Interesting alts. Tbh, I’m not really sure if the Enlightened One should be an alt, considering it’s a bit of a spoiler. I’d have Male Byleth’s cape be more purple, and some of the trims be white to better match the color scheme.

I’d also like if all the alts gave them different hair colors, similar to Robin and Corrin, mainly because Male Byleth have an extra different hair color than Female Byleth doesn’t work for me.
They already spoiled the change of hair color in the trailers, so it wouldn't be a spoiler.

Other option is to go with the dlc outfit (The first one, the latest is terrible), for me it looks so much better in female byleth.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I would love if Byleth made it into the game. Just finished my Blue Lions play through (fave house and lord so far). Already beat Golden Deer (love them too), and on to Black Eagles next. Might just go down as my fave FE. The sword of the creator would be really unique in Smash.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I think the problem of having Byleth in is that they would be the third damn avatar character on the FE side (god sometimes I wish Corrin wasn't a thing, they really painted a bleak picture in FE reps). Yes stuff like Sword of the Creator, Divine Pulse, Brawling, etc. etc. would separate them from the other swordies but their essence is STILL that of a swordie which the FE side has a lot of already. Plus it gives such a bleak feeling that FE reps will just be avatars from now on.

Sadly it does appear that Japan loves their self-insert and silent protagonists over actual characters because muh wish fulfillment, and seeing as that will sell: Nintendo will be more compelled to add Byleth over Edelgard (Dimitri/Claude) for a "safe" option and to appease the popularity of silent self-inserts.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think the problem of having Byleth in is that they would be the third damn avatar character on the FE side (god sometimes I wish Corrin wasn't a thing, they really painted a bleak picture in FE reps). Yes stuff like Sword of the Creator, Divine Pulse, Brawling, etc. etc. would separate them from the other swordies but their essence is STILL that of a swordie which the FE side has a lot of already. Plus it gives such a bleak feeling that FE reps will just be avatars from now on.

Sadly it does appear that Japan loves their self-insert and silent protagonists over actual characters because muh wish fulfillment, and seeing as that will sell: Nintendo will be more compelled to add Byleth over Edelgard (Dimitri/Claude) for a "safe" option and to appease the popularity of silent self-inserts.
If Smash 6 goes the way of the cut, then I imagine Corrin will be the first on the chopping block, and if that makes room for Byleth, I'm all for it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm 1000% down with Byleth if only because he's the most legit chance of a first party newcomer. I also love Three Houses, the character, and the potential playstyle they would bring. There's great potential for a good mix up move set that combines zoning, disjointed attacks, projectiles, and brawling. Can't go wrong there.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
If Smash 6 goes the way of the cut, then I imagine Corrin will be the first on the chopping block, and if that makes room for Byleth, I'm all for it.
Smash 6 will definitely have cuts, unknown how the 1st party side will fare, but the 3rd party side will most certainly be hit the hardest.

The west REALLY hates silent protagonists don't they?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I know Fire Emblem and the Smash community don't mix well... But considering how successful Three Houses has been both critically and commercially I think Byleth's inclusion is well-deserved unlike a certain dragon...

I know it's a popular dispute between whether it should be him or Edelgard, but considering he's the protagonist and can do a lot more than she can do thanks to his Sword of the Creator, and I think he would represent the series perfectly!

I genuinely think he has a good chance of making it later down the road, when I'm not sure but we'll have to wait and see.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I don't think we're getting first-party, but if we do, it would likely be outside of fighter passes, and Byleth would be among the most likely. Alongside Rex & Pyra, Akira Howard, and a Sword/Shield Pokemon.

Three Houses deserves it. A lot more than Fates did that's for sure.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I don't think we're getting first-party, but if we do, it would likely be outside of fighter passes, and Byleth would be among the most likely. Alongside Rex & Pyra, Akira Howard, and a Sword/Shield Pokemon.

Three Houses deserves it. A lot more than Fates did that's for sure.
:ohwell:
There are no more fighters passes after. Just separate dlcs.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
We shouldn't be making assumptions on that stuff. The new fighters are stated to not be part of a fighters pass
But neither were they really said to all be separate either.

There is no high ground, everything is an even playing field when it comes to upcoming DLC.

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
The problem for byleth could be when they decided to make more dlc characters and if they were decieded before the release of Three Houses, maybe they could have not included him taking in consideration the amount of characters that FE has.

Or that Sakurai did not played three houses at time to decide the roster so he did nnot think for a three houses rep.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
The problem for byleth could be when they decided to make more dlc characters and if they were decieded before the release of Three Houses, maybe they could have not included him taking in consideration the amount of characters that FE has.

Or that Sakurai did not played three houses at time to decide the roster so he did nnot think for a three houses rep.
I really don't think we should heed any thought process on how the upcoming batch fighters was chosen given we literally only know they are coming.

D

Deleted member

Byleth is my most preferred for Three Houses, especially if they give him multiples weapons like bows, spears, and axes. Not big on his character, but Smash typically doesn't care if you're silent or not (as demonstrated with the Dragon Quest heroes).

Put me down as a supporter

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I know Fire Emblem and the Smash community don't mix well... But considering how successful Three Houses has been both critically and commercially I think Byleth's inclusion is well-deserved unlike a certain dragon...

I know it's a popular dispute between whether it should be him or Edelgard, but considering he's the protagonist and can do a lot more than she can do thanks to his Sword of the Creator, and I think he would represent the series perfectly!

I genuinely think he has a good chance of making it later down the road, when I'm not sure but we'll have to wait and see.
I will say, if IS refuses to budge on making their lords easier to pick for the sake of variety in Smash, Sakurai will be forced to stretch semi-unique characters to the absolute limit for them. There are only so many ways to have a swordsman moveset, even if the weapon triangle stopped mattering.

That being said, I could see them get in with one of the three lords, ala :ultrobin: and :ultlucina: in a double reveal. It doesn't hurt that Byleth can be paired up with literally anyone in TH short of TWSITD and other such antagonists.

Top Bottom