• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth: Joins House Smash Brothers Social Thread

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So, I decided to count the supporters, and the final count is... 22! 23 if you include someone that deleted their account (bummer...). Pretty good considering how we weren’t that active or lasted as long.

Since Byleth is in I’ll update the OP, if anyone wanted to see the original support post, you can see here:

OFFICER’S ACADEMY’S PROFESSOR: BYLETH EISNER

View attachment 234256

The protagonist of Fire Emblem: Three Houses and the player’s avatar. You play as a young mercenary who travels alongside your father, Jeralt, and his small army who fight where help is needed. After waking up one early morning from a dream of a war centuries ago and a young green haired girl, you run into a group of students trying to fight off a group of bandits. These students are the house leaders of the three different schools in the Officer’s Academy representing the three nations of Fodlan: Dimitri of the Fargheus Kingdom, Claude of the Leicester Alliance, and Edelgard of the Adrestian Empire. These three house leaders also fated to be the future king, duke, and empress of their nation. With your help, you save these students, but not before you nearly sacrifice yourself for Edelgard, who nearly gets struck by the bandit leader. But right before the blade of the axe can pierce through your back, time stops, and you are transported to a seperate where you confront with Sothis, the same rather sleepish girl you’ve seen in your dream who has no real recollection of her past, but has a bright power hidden within her, and with that power turns back time.

Together, you and Sothis travel together to Garreg Mach Monastery, a large church where the Officer’s Academy resides, built in the middle of Fodlan between the three nations. This year, with three houses, only two professors, and being the child of who was considered the most powerful knight in Fodlan and former leader of the Church of Seiros, you begin your career as a professor, teaching one of the houses of your choice, and soon learn more about your mysterious past.

Just like previous avatars, you can choose Byleth’s gender and name, but also their birthday. Byleth’s standard birthday is September 20th, and mysteriously has the same birthday as
Sothis.

BYLETH’S POTENTIAL:

SWORD OF THE CREATOR

View attachment 234257

A powerful sword used long ago in a war waged between light and dark, this sword was and remains the most powerful weapon among the church’s treasured relics. Locked away in a sacred tomb below the palace until the day arrives that someone could grasp their hands on it and not be succumbed by it’s power.

It is Byleth’s signature weapon, a whip sword, being composed of small segments that can stretch out and pierce enemies at varying distances. In Smash, this can lead to a moveset combing standard long ranged attacks, along with long multi hitting slashes with different distances and even patterns.

DIVINE PULSE

View attachment 234258

One of Byleth’s most important techniques in battle, Sothis can stop and turn back the hands of time on Byleth’s command, helping Byleth to redo any action that could’ve made them vulnerable.

For battles like Smash, causing everything to change based on this technique may be too overpowered. Thus, Smash’s version of the technique could involve Byleth to turn himself back in time to a position several seconds prior (think of Geras from MK11). Or, Byleth could use it on someone else and have them reverse in time to a more vulnerable position. Perhaps both could occur. Regardless, having an ability such in Smash is unseen in the series.

CREST OF THE FLAMES

View attachment 234259

Byleth holds a marking within their soul known as the Crest of Flames. This crest not only allows them to wield the sword of creator to it’s full potential, but it mainly allows Byleth heal some damage that have been dealt, counterattack, and rarely gains some mt.

It is uncertain if Byleth will be given such a mechanic if they come to Smash, but it can give Byleth a unique playstyle that can center around some of these abilities.

OTHERS

These aren’t the only abilities Byleth is capable of. There are many other moves such as Magic Spells, Combat Arts, and even the introduction of Battalions that Byleth can learn and utilize that can also be apart of their move-set in Smash.

WHY BYELTH?:

Not only could Byleth provide lots of potential for a unique move set, but Fire Emblem: Three Houses is becoming one of Fire Emblem’s most successful titles yet, and if the momentum still carries further, it can very likely surpass Awakening as one Fire Emblem’s most influential titles, providing many innovations in terms of gameplay and story. With such a strong title, it can easily earn a newcomer despite the number of Fire Emblem fighters in the roster. With Byleth as the protagonist, it’s very likely they will be given a look at first, and as said before, their weapon and abilities can surpass those of other contenders, most notably Edelgard.

Whether Byleth or any Three Houses character gets into this pass depends on how far the game has gone when the developers were deciding on the Fighter Pass newcomers. Since, Fire Emblem was delayed twice during the time period where the DLC newcomers were being decided upon, some things may have needed some ironing out, and the team may not have been willing to risk going with an unreleased character. Regardless, going forward Byleth can easily become a front runner.

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Put me on the list who support Byleth. The light at the end of the first pass, for me at least.

Looking forward to some really weird interactions with the up B and down B

D

Deleted member

Imagine one day, a Byleth main goes into Grand Finals and switches from whatever alt she/he is using into the Fused Alt. It'll be Godlike.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Put me on the list who support Byleth. The light at the end of the first pass, for me at least.

Looking forward to some really weird interactions with the up B and down B
What's the point? Byleth's already in, so the support list is just something for legacy than it is for counting the fans of the character, lol.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Put me on the list of supporters as well, Byleth or one of the lords was my most wanted outside of Rex/Pyra and honestly wasn't expecting it to happen until pass 2, honestly was one of the hypest smash reveals for me and I cannot wait to main Byleth

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
What's the point? Byleth's already in, so the support list is just something for legacy than it is for counting the fans of the character, lol.
There is no point, besides wanting to be on the list? :p

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I've been dipping from Smashboards the past few days cause I'm sure it'll be nothing but FE salt, but now that its been a few days, I wanted to drop in and say I'm really surprised but pleased with Byleth's announcement. Plus the salt has been pretty hilarious, if there's any fanbase that deserves it its this one..

I'm really happy for everyone that were rooting for Byleth from the beginning in the face of all the heat they got from the rest of the Smash fanbase, which only ratcheted up in the face of their confirmation. To be honest I was certain we wouldn't be getting any extra FE representation through Ultimate's lifespan, but I'm certainly not complaining, especially since they acknowledged the most annoying part of FE reps by giving the full weapon triangle and a bow to their moveset.

As for the troll in the thread trying to ruin everyone else's good time? Get over yourself. It's Sakurai's game and he does what he pleases, and he loves FE so just let him have his self-indulgent picks. Not gonna lie there's a lot of other choices I would've preferred over Byleth but this is Sakurai's wild ride, and we're all just here as passengers, not drivers. I've accepted that a long time ago and you should too.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
As Idon said, the supporter list is when you want to contribute to a certain character to be in Smash, and Byleth is already in Smash.

But I’ll still respect you’re contribution to Byleth.

It's crazy how much of the old Joker gang has been on this thread. How awesome is it we got both characters?
That’s actually true, I was also a supporter, so I was shocked that both not only were the first and last in the fighter pass but were also the only ones to not get leaked.

D

Deleted member

Will you choose Male or Female Byleth?
I'll use both, but I will lean more towards female personally.

What do you guys think their title on the Punch-Out stage will be?
Their nickname, "The Ashen Demon."

So, I decided to count the supporters, and the final count is... 22! 23 if you include someone that deleted their account (bummer...). Pretty good considering how we weren’t that active or lasted as long.
I'm sorry I couldn't officially make it 23 or 24. I supported Byleth actually and I have proof on my Twitter (I posted that after there was news that more fighters were coming after Terry's announcement), but I never got around to it on here for some reason. I guess I was lazy. LOL

It's crazy how much of the old Joker gang has been on this thread. How awesome is it we got both characters?
As someone who loves both characters and P5 and 3H, I have to say this was an amazing time for me. Both were completely unexpected too, which made things that much sweeter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

Since Byleth is in I’ll update the OP, if anyone wanted to see the original support post, you can see here:

OFFICER’S ACADEMY’S PROFESSOR: BYLETH EISNER

View attachment 234256

The protagonist of Fire Emblem: Three Houses and the player’s avatar. You play as a young mercenary who travels alongside your father, Jeralt, and his small army who fight where help is needed. After waking up one early morning from a dream of a war centuries ago and a young green haired girl, you run into a group of students trying to fight off a group of bandits. These students are the house leaders of the three different schools in the Officer’s Academy representing the three nations of Fodlan: Dimitri of the Fargheus Kingdom, Claude of the Leicester Alliance, and Edelgard of the Adrestian Empire. These three house leaders also fated to be the future king, duke, and empress of their nation. With your help, you save these students, but not before you nearly sacrifice yourself for Edelgard, who nearly gets struck by the bandit leader. But right before the blade of the axe can pierce through your back, time stops, and you are transported to a seperate where you confront with Sothis, the same rather sleepish girl you’ve seen in your dream who has no real recollection of her past, but has a bright power hidden within her, and with that power turns back time.

Together, you and Sothis travel together to Garreg Mach Monastery, a large church where the Officer’s Academy resides, built in the middle of Fodlan between the three nations. This year, with three houses, only two professors, and being the child of who was considered the most powerful knight in Fodlan and former leader of the Church of Seiros, you begin your career as a professor, teaching one of the houses of your choice, and soon learn more about your mysterious past.

Just like previous avatars, you can choose Byleth’s gender and name, but also their birthday. Byleth’s standard birthday is September 20th, and mysteriously has the same birthday as
Sothis.

BYLETH’S POTENTIAL:

SWORD OF THE CREATOR

View attachment 234257

A powerful sword used long ago in a war waged between light and dark, this sword was and remains the most powerful weapon among the church’s treasured relics. Locked away in a sacred tomb below the palace until the day arrives that someone could grasp their hands on it and not be succumbed by it’s power.

It is Byleth’s signature weapon, a whip sword, being composed of small segments that can stretch out and pierce enemies at varying distances. In Smash, this can lead to a moveset combing standard long ranged attacks, along with long multi hitting slashes with different distances and even patterns.

DIVINE PULSE

View attachment 234258

One of Byleth’s most important techniques in battle, Sothis can stop and turn back the hands of time on Byleth’s command, helping Byleth to redo any action that could’ve made them vulnerable.

For battles like Smash, causing everything to change based on this technique may be too overpowered. Thus, Smash’s version of the technique could involve Byleth to turn himself back in time to a position several seconds prior (think of Geras from MK11). Or, Byleth could use it on someone else and have them reverse in time to a more vulnerable position. Perhaps both could occur. Regardless, having an ability such in Smash is unseen in the series.

CREST OF THE FLAMES

View attachment 234259

Byleth holds a marking within their soul known as the Crest of Flames. This crest not only allows them to wield the sword of creator to it’s full potential, but it mainly allows Byleth heal some damage that have been dealt, counterattack, and rarely gains some mt.

It is uncertain if Byleth will be given such a mechanic if they come to Smash, but it can give Byleth a unique playstyle that can center around some of these abilities.

OTHERS

These aren’t the only abilities Byleth is capable of. There are many other moves such as Magic Spells, Combat Arts, and even the introduction of Battalions that Byleth can learn and utilize that can also be apart of their move-set in Smash.

WHY BYELTH?:

Not only could Byleth provide lots of potential for a unique move set, but Fire Emblem: Three Houses is becoming one of Fire Emblem’s most successful titles yet, and if the momentum still carries further, it can very likely surpass Awakening as one Fire Emblem’s most influential titles, providing many innovations in terms of gameplay and story. With such a strong title, it can easily earn a newcomer despite the number of Fire Emblem fighters in the roster. With Byleth as the protagonist, it’s very likely they will be given a look at first, and as said before, their weapon and abilities can surpass those of other contenders, most notably Edelgard.

Whether Byleth or any Three Houses character gets into this pass depends on how far the game has gone when the developers were deciding on the Fighter Pass newcomers. Since, Fire Emblem was delayed twice during the time period where the DLC newcomers were being decided upon, some things may have needed some ironing out, and the team may not have been willing to risk going with an unreleased character. Regardless, going forward Byleth can easily become a front runner.
I wanted to contribute to the support of Byleth but I regret not doing it sooner considering how much I enjoyed Three Houses and how much I liked him and his "blank stare". Regardless, I'm thrilled that he's in.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I hope somewhere, most likely either a taunt or victory quote, Byleth says "Here is something to believe in!"

SS2000

Smash Apprentice
One of my favorite things when it comes to Fire Emblem is how much stuff gets lost in translation/localization. I decided to check out the Japanese trailer earlier and laughed at one part that I didn't before; right after the part about too many swordsmen, Sothis says "Quit all the whining! Aren't you a man?! *switches to female Byleth* Ah, so you're going to pull that, huh? I see... Good job. I'll do you a big service *summons weapons* with these."
And many have been wondering why Byleth got two "[new character][does whatever]" screens when there has only ever been one before. There is a reason for that. Look closely... Can you spot the difference? (Other than the character design! lol)
bereto.png
beresu.png
Yep, in Japanese the male and female have different names! I'm not sure why they decided to change that in English. It's unnecessary name changes that messes up a lot of jokes and stuff in English. Like in this one Heroes comic:
different name?!.jpg
It's like we techically got two characters... Oh dear.... Don't let word of that get out, or people are going to be twice as pointlessly angry as they are now! :laugh:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Guess the localizers wanted to keep the gender neutral name like for Corrin, for the sake of simplicity. People from 8-4 are probably responsible.

Though the switch joke still works since Byleth decides to counter swordsmen with a swordswoman.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Really? That's interesting because personally I'd say the "canon" one would be the female because
of the whole "Rhea wants to use you as a vessel for Sothis, and has always used nuns for her experiments on the matter before Byleth
that might also be the same assumption with the Male one, appearances might not matter.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Not exactly like Rhea can control which chromosome you're born with, lol.
Yeah but
Since everyone before was a female, and apparently she did her manipulation right when Byleth was born so their gender was seen, it is still weird for her to to that on M!Byleth

that might also be the same assumption with the Male one, appearances might not matter.
What assumption?
I doubt Rhea would use a male for revive her mother lol, considering she had many other nuns to test with as she did in the centuries prior the plot

I still think all of this points to F!Byleth being the canon one, if we really have to pin one of them as such.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Yeah but
Since everyone before was a female, and apparently she did her manipulation right when Byleth was born so their gender was seen, it is still weird for her to to that on M!Byleth

What assumption?
I doubt Rhea would use a male for revive her mother lol, considering she had many other nuns to test with as she did in the centuries prior the plot

I still think all of this points to F!Byleth being the canon one, if we really have to pin one of them as such.
look i didn't pay much attention to the whole plot of three houses and i barely want to(i only choose blue lions a route were rhea doesn't go mad for no reason and everyone but edelgard survives).
so sorry if i sound as so i still consider the male i'm just tired of all the female avatar favoring.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah but

What assumption?

Rhea didn't maniplulate your gender, lmao.

You're a normal kid who died in child-birth and was resurrected with a crest stone.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yeah but

What assumption?

Didnt she also call Male Byleth "Mother"? So the sex doesnt matter

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Good news, Byleth Bros. I am going to play 3 Houses soon. Should I be aware of anything before going in if this is my first FE game?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Good news, Byleth Bros. I am going to play 3 Houses soon. Should I be aware of anything before going in if this is my first FE game?
For one, I'd say that a lot of mechanics in Three Houses don't carry over to other games in the series.
For two, I'd say that there is no weapon triangle, so keep that in mind.
For three, make sure you spread the kills throughout your units, you don't want guys you like to fall behind.
For four, Dimitri is best boy and I love him.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I could give you more tips, but I don't want to spoil the experience of learning for yourself.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Classic hard is the best way to play for a first time playthrough of each route from my personal experience. The game is easy enough and has the mechanics to where permadeath isn't going to make you constantly reset the whole map like the older games yet still makes your choices matter.

If you ever feel like it is too much on either end, you can always turn the difficulities down but not upwards. Though I will always recommend not turning permadeath off myself, you do you if you really don't like it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You know, I didn't even realize that! Funny how there's crossover. I admit I made out like a bandit with this pass between Joker, Terry, and Byleth. So awesome.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
For one, I'd say that a lot of mechanics in Three Houses don't carry over to other games in the series.
For two, I'd say that there is no weapon triangle, so keep that in mind.
For three, make sure you spread the kills throughout your units, you don't want guys you like to fall behind.
For four, Dimitri is best boy and I love him.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I could give you more tips, but I don't want to spoil the experience of learning for yourself.
I know about the process of leveling stats in the monastary, but I'm kind of worried that I won't have enough time to raise them between classes, exercises, tea, etc.

Classic hard is the best way to play for a first time playthrough of each route from my personal experience. The game is easy enough and has the mechanics to where permadeath isn't going to make you constantly reset the whole map like the older games yet still makes your choices matter.
Huh, okay. I'll go with that difficulty then.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Aside from the good tips already given to you, simply just enjoy the experience is all.

who885

Smash Rookie
not sure what it means to support a character. but i'll support them regardless.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
not sure what it means to support a character. but i'll support them regardless.
It means you're rallying behind them to be a playable character.

As Byleth is now in, the support is pointless and is just there if you want to remember people who supported the character before they got announced.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, spreading positivity about the character can be a nice way to support them :)
With everything flying around regarding them, it could be nice to see more support even if they're in. Either way I'm not gonna care what they say. I think that's enough FE characters now tho :p

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly I think it would've been great to have an FE character that isn't a main character sword user, which is why Edelgard would've been awesome, but now that we have 8 of 'em in there it feels pretty complete in a way (8-player fire emblem brawls). And also could leave room for other franchises. I also mean nintendo ones. I'd love to see a 4th kirby character and other stuff.

Top Bottom