• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth: Joins House Smash Brothers Social Thread

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Any of you have room for someone whose never played a Fire Emblem game who isn't into the series but is also really excited to use Byleth who just so happened to be revealed on my birthday? Because I want in on this train. Can't wait to see what this character is all about.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
The fighter's pass for my 2018 GOTY started with a character from my 2017 GOTY and ended with a character from my 2019 GOTY, ah life is good. :)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can hardly wait to see if anyone does fan art depicting characters begging Byleth to teach for their faction. Especially :ultbowser:.

Also, we have definite proof that even divisions strongly related to Nintendo properties are willing to help make a reveal trailer.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Does anybody have an idea what the little secret thing is they talked about while discussion Master Hand during Classic Mode?

Folt

Smash Ace
Whatever it is, I think it will be interesting. Also, as a note, both the first, middle, and last fighter of this Fighter Pass have gotten Master Hand in some way, shape, or form as their final boss battle. The others have gotten fights against playable characters as their final boss battle.

Folt

Smash Ace
Ooh, the enhanced versions of the Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude spirits:

https://twitter.com/theprinceofiris/status/1217867502857998336

I think Edelgard is the worst of the three. Armor Knight is kinda cool, but she's specced so much into Defence and only has one slot for a support spirit.

Dimitri goes the other way of Edelgard, speccing hard into offense and having Hyper Smash Attacks by default helps with that. In addition, he has 2 support slots compared to Edelgard which is good enough for the glass cannon he's going to be.

Claude by contrast to both feature balanced stats and 3 slots so he can be customized into whatever you want and make use of the powerful 3-slot support spirits.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So what exactly would Sothis’ Spirit Effect be?

Phantom Thieves of Hearts had Item Autograb.
Hero’s Comrades had Team Power Up.
Gruntilda had Poison Attack Up.
and Geese has Critical Fast Final Smash Meter.

Maybe something to do with time, considering her nature? Like, I dunno, Extra Stock?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Decided I'd put my idea on what the "Heroic Legacy" may look like. I decided to base the route on iconic moments from previous Fire Emblem games:
Battle 1: vs. :ultmarth: on Tortimer Island (omega) with Lords-A Chance Encounter playing (based on Marth Embarks, the first Fire Emblem chapter ever)
Battle 2: vs. :ultroy: on Castle Siege (Lava portion) with Beyond Distance Skies playing (based on Chapter 8x of the Binding Blade, where Roy gets Durandal)
Battle 3: vs. a giant :ultike: with his 8th palette, with :ultike: (default) and :ultvillagerf: as allies, on the indoor portion of Castle Siege with Against the Dark Knight playing (based on the battle with the Black Knight in Path of Radiance)
Battle 4: free for all with :ultchrom:, :ultrobin:, and :ultlucina: on Arena Ferox with Id Purpose playing (not based on anything in particular, just thought it worked well for the Awakening battle)
Battle 5: vs. red :ultchrom: and gold :ultsimon:, with :ultcorrin: as an ally, on Coliseum with Lost in Thoughts All Alone playing (loosely based on the first battle of Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation, where Corrin has to stop Xander and Ryoma from fighting)
Battle 6: free for all with 3 Byleth using the Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude palette on Garreg Mach Monastery with Edge of Dawn playing (no need to explain what this is based on!)
Boss: Rathalos, to represent how dragons are the final boss in many Fire Emblem games.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'm really excited for Byleth. Three Houses is my favorite switch game after BotW, and I love Fire Emblem. And they look great. Didn't think they'd be added. But the backlash and salt over every FE character minus Chrom really puts a damper on my excitement. It's too bad Sakurai didn't have Byleth be Fighter 3 or 4 and end on Banjo or something. It's annoying, but character placement really does affect how salty people feel.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wonder when we'll get the Byleth icons (and hoping for the female one)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm really excited for Byleth. Three Houses is my favorite switch game after BotW, and I love Fire Emblem. And they look great. Didn't think they'd be added. But the backlash and salt over every FE character minus Chrom really puts a damper on my excitement. It's too bad Sakurai didn't have Byleth be Fighter 3 or 4 and end on Banjo or something. It's annoying, but character placement really does affect how salty people feel.
If it helps you feel better, I always expected it'd be someone unusual or low-key. That's how it always goes. This fanbase has the knack of trying to keep me from adjusting my expectations accordingly. Last spot is really for those who are already invested in the game and don't mind something different, while earlier picks tend to be more aimed at the hardcore crowd or fans of big-name/high support characters. Still beats how Capcom handles Street Fighter DLC.

On a side note, for those not in the know, FP2 does continue the trend of adding a new stage, music and character per pack, according to the press release. Which incidentally wrecks the "number of stage slots" theory.

https://t.co/4oCkmhjkn6

Also, we can expect more new mechanics still.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If it helps you feel better, I always expected it'd be someone unusual or low-key. That's how it always goes. This fanbase has the knack of trying to keep me from adjusting my expectations accordingly. Last spot is really for those who are already invested in the game and don't mind something different, while earlier picks tend to be more aimed at the hardcore crowd or fans of big-name/high support characters. Still beats how Capcom handles Street Fighter DLC.

On a side note, for those not in the know, FP2 does continue the trend of adding a new stage, music and character per pack, according to the press release. Which incidentally wrecks the "number of stage slots" theory.

https://t.co/4oCkmhjkn6

Also, we can expect more new mechanics still.

So Byleth was the low-key safe pick for Fighter Pack Vol. 1. So who's gonna be the low-key safe pick for Vol. 2? Rillaboom? Rex and Pyra? Euden? These are the more safe picks that are on the top of my head at the moment.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So Byleth was the low-key safe pick for Fighter Pack Vol. 1. So who's gonna be the low-key safe pick for Vol. 2? Rillaboom? Rex and Pyra? Euden? These are the more safe picks that are on the top of my head at the moment.
It feels to me like Rex & Pyra are out for the time being (not enough time for implementation plans?). As for a Pokémon, I'd say Gen 9 seems likelier if Gen 8 is skipped over. We could even get King Boo somehow, to fill a main Mario char quota.

Silliest case scenario, we get Ring Fit Adventurer.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
Decided I'd put my idea on what the "Heroic Legacy" may look like. I decided to base the route on iconic moments from previous Fire Emblem games:
Battle 1: vs. :ultmarth: on Tortimer Island (omega) with Lords-A Chance Encounter playing (based on Marth Embarks, the first Fire Emblem chapter ever)
Battle 2: vs. :ultroy: on Castle Siege (Lava portion) with Beyond Distance Skies playing (based on Chapter 8x of the Binding Blade, where Roy gets Durandal)
Battle 3: vs. a giant :ultike: with his 8th palette, with :ultike: (default) and :ultvillagerf: as allies, on the indoor portion of Castle Siege with Against the Dark Knight playing (based on the battle with the Black Knight in Path of Radiance)
Battle 4: free for all with :ultchrom:, :ultrobin:, and :ultlucina: on Arena Ferox with Id Purpose playing (not based on anything in particular, just thought it worked well for the Awakening battle)
Battle 5: vs. red :ultchrom: and gold :ultsimon:, with :ultcorrin: as an ally, on Coliseum with Lost in Thoughts All Alone playing (loosely based on the first battle of Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation, where Corrin has to stop Xander and Ryoma from fighting)
Battle 6: free for all with 3 Byleth using the Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude palette on Garreg Mach Monastery with Edge of Dawn playing (no need to explain what this is based on!)
Boss: Rathalos, to represent how dragons are the final boss in many Fire Emblem games.
We already know that the Boss will be Master & Crazy Hand, but I can totally see the rest.

Xeno_Emblem

Smash Rookie
With the announcement that Sakurai would be showing the final character in the 1st Fighters Pass, I never once considered it be a first party character, let alone Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I went into this presentation with low expectations as I assumed it would be a character that I zero interest in given Terry and Banjo didn't do anything for me. They're great characters, don't get me wrong, and I'm very pleased to see them both in Smash Bros, it's just that I don't have the same connection to them as others do.

So I went to bed early and I was going to sleep in that morning as I truly didn't think any character that I wanted in Smash would be shown today given the third party trend. I woke up and looked at the clock to find it was a minute before the presentation started. I only got 5 hours of sleep that night but I decided to watch the presentation live instead of waiting until I woke up properly. Holy crap, was that the best decision ever!

Byleth was one of my most wanted characters for Smash Bros Ultimate DLC, alongside Rex/Pyra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The moment the trailer started, I instantly knew that it was Byleth. The music hadn't even cued in fully and I knew right away. I was freaking out and my body was shaking from pure excitement. That has only happened with a few other charatcer trailers like Joker when he got shown off at the Game Awards in 2018 or Cloud from FF7 or the Lucina/Robin trailer. I was enthralled from start to finish.

I feel like the happiest boi alive right now! I am beyond content. And I know that this charatcer will forever get hated on, but I don't care. Byleth is Smash Bros Ultimate, and it's truly a glorious moment for me.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
With the announcement that Sakurai would be showing the final character in the 1st Fighters Pass, I never once considered it be a first party character, let alone Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I went into this presentation with low expectations as I assumed it would be a character that I zero interest in given Terry and Banjo didn't do anything for me. They're great characters, don't get me wrong, and I'm very pleased to see them both in Smash Bros, it's just that I don't have the same connection to them as others do.

So I went to bed early and I was going to sleep in that morning as I truly didn't think any character that I wanted in Smash would be shown today given the third party trend. I woke up and looked at the clock to find it was a minute before the presentation started. I only got 5 hours of sleep that night but I decided to watch the presentation live instead of waiting until I woke up properly. Holy crap, was that the best decision ever!

Byleth was one of my most wanted characters for Smash Bros Ultimate DLC, alongside Rex/Pyra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The moment the trailer started, I instantly knew that it was Byleth. The music hadn't even cued in fully and I knew right away. I was freaking out and my body was shaking from pure excitement. That has only happened with a few other charatcer trailers like Joker when he got shown off at the Game Awards in 2018 or Cloud from FF7 or the Lucina/Robin trailer. I was enthralled from start to finish.

I feel like the happiest boi alive right now! I am beyond content. And I know that this charatcer will forever get hated on, but I don't care. Byleth is Smash Bros Ultimate, and it's truly a glorious moment for me.
Same, I freaked out when the trailer started and I heard the Shambhala music, it feels good to finally get a character announced that was in my top 2 most wanted characters. If Rex/Pyra somehow make it in pass 2 I can't imagine how insane my reaction would be.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So all I've got to say is:

**** yeah.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
We already know that the Boss will be Master & Crazy Hand, but I can totally see the rest.
Speaking of the final boss, does anyone have any idea of what the little reference or easter egg during the fight that Sakurai mention would be?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I like it a lot.

A+

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Really happy with the timing too; I wanted a TH rep and the professors are coming out not long after my birthday next week. Also really happy Apex of the World made the cut :)

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You know you wanna say even more
I do but I'm busy reading all the Byleth-related threads in the forums to make sure no one's starting arguments or hurting feelings. So who has the time, right?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
one thing I'm curious about regarding Byleth is their victory theme

you think they'll go the Awakening Crew/Corrin route and give em a unique theme, (like say, a snippet of The Edge of Dawn) instead of the regular FE main theme?

Last edited:

Xeno_Emblem

Smash Rookie

you think they'll go the Awakening Crew/Corrin route and give em unique theme, (like say, a snippet of The Edge of Dawn) instead of the regular FE main theme?
I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If nothing else, the more appreciative fan art is looking good.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

you think they'll go the Awakening Crew/Corrin route and give em a unique theme, (like say, a snippet of The Edge of Dawn) instead of the regular FE main theme?
Wouldn't make sense to me if they give them the regular FE victory theme...

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

My money is on unique.

It's a DLC character with a stage and new music.

Probably that bit, if I were to guess.

D

Deleted member

When I played 3H, I really wanted Byleth and I quickly fell in love with the game. I didn't expect Byleth either; when the news came that more fighters were coming, I even said "BYLETH PLEASE!" on my Twitter. If you are interested, here is how my reaction was:
Sakurai: "Not a lot of people know who this fighter is, so this will be a shock to some Nintendo employees."

Me: Really? I guess that's why the leaks were so minimal here. But OK... show me who it is.

*some clouds and trees*

Me: Hmm... OK... this seems familiar...

*sees the area from Chapter 11*

Me: OH MY GOD! BYLETH? No... no... they get trapped in this chapter... I gotta keep calm... it's not official yet... they could still add Edelgard or something... *heavily breathes*

*sees Sothis*

Me: Or Sothis...

*Sothis repeats her dialogue from 3H*

Me: She doesn't wish to die... she might leave Byleth here and join Smash or something... oh god... *heavily breathing continues*

Sothis: "You need to join Smash."

Me: WHAT? ARE YOU SERIOUS?! BYLETH IS IN SMASH!

*splash screen*

Me: YES! YES! YES! BYLETH! BYLETH IS IN SMASH! OH MY GOD! YES! YES! YES! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! HOLY-! HOLY-! *slams my left hand on my chair and desk* YES! YES!

*female Byleth*

Me: OH SHE'S HERE TOO!!!!

*weapons*

Me: SHE CAN USE THE HERO'S RELICS?! OH MY GOD! THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!!!! THANK YOU SAKURAI!!!!

And for the rest of the video I was shaking and breathing from how hyped I was. I couldn't believe that a character that I wanted but thought had no hope for now made it in. This was after Joker and Banjo, who have already made me go crazily excited with their inclusions with the former being my dream character and the latter my never ever.

When you have a connection with a character and fond memories of them and their game, it's truly special to see them be in Smash. That is how I felt with Joker, Banjo, and now Byleth.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I was pulling for Edelgard, but Byleth with Amyr plus the other relics is even better! Also super hyped for blue skies and a battle in smash since Sacred Stones is super nostalgic for me. This was an amazing reveal and I can't wait for the 28th. Also, ignore the whiners. They can't remove Byleth from the game. We won, so just be happy and don't give them the satisfaction.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If there are those who are still whining, just say "hey man, Byleth is in Smash now. Get used to it"

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I do but I'm busy reading all the Byleth-related threads in the forums to make sure no one's starting arguments or hurting feelings. So who has the time, right?
if only we could control time like Byleth

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Whelp, my excitement is dead. I hope to god they don’t add a Sword and Shield Pokémon later because going through THIS again is something I don’t want to experience again.

Maybe Smash fans need to find an actual show to watch. Watch a real show that has an exciting season finale, instead of treating Smash like it’s something it’s not. Spend the five bucks you don’t want to spend on Byleth, Garegg Mach, and the music tracks, and get Hulu for a month. Please, move on to something you enjoy, instead of leaching excitement away from the people who had fun with Three Houses, who were happy with Byleth. Play as Banjo. Play as Joker. Play as Cuphead. I’m not asking you to be excited for Byleth, or to be grateful, or to spend money on him. I just want you to accept that not every character needs to appeal to you, and move on.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

He's a DLC character and a modern FE character with a very prominent leitmotif.

If he doesn't have a theme, I'd be shocked.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I could see the victory theme being a segment from The Edge of Dawn, since the other unique FE themes use the main themes from other games.

Either that or Fodlan Winds, idk.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I could see the victory theme being a segment from The Edge of Dawn, since the other unique FE themes use the main themes from other games.

Either that or Fodlan Winds, idk.
Considering Fodlan Winds is just another remix of Edge of Dawn, I'm going to say yeah, Edge of Dawn will take priority.

Top Bottom