• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth Revealed as Final Character in First Fighters Pass

Byleth_Revealed.jpg

Nintendo finished off Fighters Pass #1 with Byleth, the main protagonist of Fire Emblem: Three Houses! Byleth releases January 28th alongside a host of content.

Byleth brings Garreg Mach Monastery to the battle. Garreg Mach Monastery operates in the same vein as Castle Siege, with multiple portions of the stage taking place in castles or civilian-populated areas, and flashy transitions to the next portion. We don’t expect Garreg to be tournament legal in any capacity.

Byleth’s moveset centers around the various weapons original to Three Houses, with each weapon corresponding to a different direction:
  • The Sword of the Creator is used for up tilt, smash attack and special, with a whiplike extending blade like Ivy from Soul Calibur.
  • Side attacks are represented by the long-reaching Areadbhar spear which has a tipper just like Marth.
  • Down is the Aymr staff whose down b can be charged up like Dedede’s for massive damage at full charge and super armor.
  • Neutral corresponds to the Failnaught bow whose incredibly fast arrows can only be fired only after a slight charge that can be shield canceled. It also has a powered-up version with no cancel but much more power.

Byleth also brings along eleven new music tracks! New remixes are denoted by an asterisk, while OSTs are unmarked. They are:
  • *Fire Emblem: Three Houses Main Theme (JP)
  • *Fire Emblem: Three Houses Main THeme
  • Fodlan Winds Blue Skies and a Battle
  • Tearing Through Heaven
  • Chasing Daybreak
  • Between Heaven and Earth
  • Paths That Will Never Cross
  • The Apex of the World
  • The Edge of Dawn
  • The Edge of Dawn (JP)

In addition to Byleth, Sakurai included five new Mii Fighter costumes! They are:
  • Altair, from Assassin’s Creed
  • Rabbid, from Rabbids
  • X, from Mega Man X
  • Megaman.EXE, from Mega Man
  • Cuphead, from Cuphead

Finally, Sakurai wraps up the Direct with a follow-up to his previous announcement. While this is the end of the original Fighters Pass, there will be a Fighters Pass Volume 2 consisting of six characters! This Fighters Pass will be available for pre-purchase when Byleth releases on January 28th, though the contents have already been determined.

Last edited:
Will "Octrockandroll" Bertazzo Lambert

Comments

Sakurai has played and praised Nier Automata. Could it be that the reason we are getting the 2nd challenger pack in 2021 be because Sakurai needs more time to work on 2b's 'E' rating outfit?
View attachment 258164
This side slit there.....
It's not for good bois and görls.
Actually, every Fire Emblem character in the game is a sword user. Just because some may have other options does not negate the immutable fact that they all carry and use a sword.
Marth, Lucina, Roy, and Chrom all carry standard broad/longswords.
Ike has a greatsword
Robin has two swords and also carries tomes
Corrin has essentially a chainsaw sword
Byleth has the Sword of the Creator

If we're stuck with another Fire Emblem character, would it have killed them to axe the sword?
This thing may be called a "sword", but it's more like a whip. The cutscenes also use it more as a whip than a sword.

Last edited:
I loved it! The character I din't knew that I needView attachment 258312
Oh thank God, Fire Emblem is finally getting some representation in Smash.

BTW, I hope everyone who wanted Rex and Pyra realizes that Rex got a Mii costume so that Sakurai could make time to play an early version of Three Houses and give us Byleth instead. Just tossing that out there.

Last edited:
I realized that this Fighter Pass didn't get any villains. It got me thinking what Nintendo villains would make a good fit in Smash? I also find it kinda odd that we never got a Fire Emblem villain. I would've been down for Kronya as a curveball 3 houses rep. Probably wouldn't pass the good boys and girls test though.

I honestly feel those who say Banjo should have been the final send-off of the Pass are missing the point of when he and Byleth were revealed:
Banjo was one of the most requested characters for Smash since Melee, and is considered a retro icon who defined the platforming genre, not to mention being a 3rd party to a console manufacturer made him even more of a big deal. And thus at what time was he revealed? E3. The biggest yearly gaming event where millions are waiting for news, and thus would have generated lots of buzz.

Who is Byleth? A first party from a very succesful but still very recent game who would be cared for more by Nintendo fans than anyone else, and thus was revealed in a Nintendo-centered livestream that would have only been seen by Nintendo fans.

With that said, was it worth to wait for them to be the final sendoff character? To me, yes and no.

On the no side, you have them being from Fire Emblem, a series many perceive as oversaturated, that despite how much it has grown on recent years, still isn't at the success level of Mario, Zelda and Pokémon, in a pass that so far has only been introducing third party big names to Smash.

To that point, the disappointment is understandable, and it's not a bad thing people express their dislike.

On the other... Well, unlike how we fans see the roster, it's clear Sakurai and the dev team don't see it as a meassuring contest of who matters the most.

Unlike Corrin and Fates, Three Houses didn't have to piggyback from Smash introducing its main character to prove itself as succesful, and Byleth wielding the weapons of all Lords is a fun way to represent the game as a whole while giving them a unique moveset.

The Fighter Pass is a product. Companies want us to buy the product. However, we were also warned that the product might not be up to our standards and that pre-purchasing is a blind choice. We are a consumer and thus we can perfectly give feedback on how we feel about it, be as disappointed as you are with Byleth and express it, that is fine, but remember: You were the one who chose to purchase the product without knowing its contents, so next time, actually be responsible, question and wait to see what the product offers if disatisfied with the previous result.

Overall... Was Byleth a good send-off to the Pass? Were they worth the buildup and wait? No, if I would have swapped them with anyone, it would have been with Terry, sending off the pass with a character that while somewhat niche is still a third party from a company making a comeback on recent years. Or better yet, place them in Pass 2, still after their game was proven a success and people would be more open to 1st parties.

Are they a bad choice to be in Smash at all? No. They have a unique moveset and are from a game succesful enough that it won the Player's Choice award, and so long a character can offer something new, that is not a bad thing.

Those are my two cents.

Last edited:
The Fighter Pass is a product. Companies want us to buy the product. However, we were also warned that the product might not be up to our standards and that pre-purchasing is a blind choice. We are a consumer and thus we can perfectly give feedback on how we feel about it, be as disappointed as you are with Byleth and express it, that is fine, but remember: You were the one who chose to purchase the product without knowing its contents, so next time, actually be responsible, question and wait to see what the product offers if disatisfied with the previous result.
You're right; we vote with our wallets. Paying for Pass 2 tells Nintendo we were perfectly happy with Pass 1, especially Fire Emblem.

Which is why I'm not buying Pass 2, and I'd urge others who are actually upset about the choice to do likewise. Your complaints mean nothing if people are still getting paid.

Attachments

This thing may be called a "sword", but it's more like a whip. The cutscenes also use it more as a whip than a sword.
I don't know how popular Ivy from Soulcalibur is, and I typically don't care on whether or not a character is male or female (although there aren't actually any female characters from the Fighter Pass, unless you include palette swaps), but I think given that Ivy has a sword-whip of her own, she might have been an interesting addition to the Smash series, rather than Byleth. I suppose that wouldn't pass the "good boys and girls" dub (read: CERO), given Ivy's outfits, although there are exceptions.

You're right; we vote with our wallets. Paying for Pass 2 tells Nintendo we were perfectly happy with Pass 1, especially Fire Emblem.

Which is why I'm not buying Pass 2, and I'd urge others who are actually upset about the choice to do likewise. Your complaints mean nothing if people are still getting paid.
I agree, and I really wonder why a lot of people bought the first pass blindly. What was there to win? If you don't like the characters, you're screwed. If you do like them, fine, but you can buy it later. Unless you really, really cannot wait...

I agree, and I really wonder why a lot of people bought the first pass blindly. What was there to win? If you don't like the characters, you're screwed. If you do like them, fine, but you can buy it later. Unless you really, really cannot wait...
I took a gamble on it. At the time, I couldn't conceive of a reveal that would anger me outright (whether franchise or character), nor of a style of reveal that would offend me (end of the pass, "big mysterious reveal")--and, honestly, it's that last part combined with the first part that has made me most upset. Byleth would have been fine for Pass 2, even expected...but not as a low note on which to end Pass 1. So for that, I won't reward them with an up front purchase of Pass 2. If I like all six, the worst that happens to me is I pay an extra $4.95 or so come December 31, 2021--two years from now. Best case scenario, more FE characters are tossed in and I save money. Best of all, I retain a degree of dignity, strength, confidence, and self-worth in the face of a corporate machine that thinks it can hype me into forgetting its perceived affronts.

"Fool me once," and all that.

(although there aren't actually any female characters from the Fighter Pass, unless you include palette swaps)
I don't want to be 'that guy' but Kazooie also technically counts as a girl. Though its understandable sense she's part of a duo with Banjo who is the primary face of the two. Not to mention they aren't human so… People won't immediately know without looking into things.
Personally, either way I would have bought it anyway. I'd feel like it'd be a less complete game without the full possible roster. Thats just me though. Not to say the base game isn't already quite complete.
I suppose I do run the risk of getting a character I truly dislike, such as Bayo, but those kinds of characters are very far and few between for me.

Hey man, no offense, I am the one who said express your disapointment, but seeing how much you're replying here and the way you comment like if FE was some sort of offensive plague, and not just because Smash, you're acting like the stereotypical "ungrateful" (and yes, saying in quotations since it's not ungrateful to express something about a product but still toxic to trash on it constantly) person this fandom is made a mockery of.

I'm not stopping you, just letting you know.

Last edited:
Hey man, no offense, I am the one who said express your disapointment, but seeing how much you're replying here and the way you comment like if FE was some sort of offensive plague, and not just because Smash, you're acting like the stereotypical "ungrateful" (and yes, saying in quotations since it's not ungrateful to express something about a product but still toxic to trash on it constantly) person this fandom is made a mockery of.

I'm not stopping you, just letting you know.
It is rather toxic of me to comment (negatively, mind you--I'm sure you wouldn't levy such an accusation against someone posting multiple responses in favor of) on Byleth in Smash in a thread about Byleth in Smash. I should stop that right away. Thanks for setting me straight. If I have anything to add, I'll be sure to keep it to myself. How many posts am I allowed on a thread? Two? Three? Am I allowed to speak when spoken to or is that likewise verboten?

I'm sorry. I have to laugh at people who think all negative or critical commentary, however valid or well-presented, is "toxic." That's so 2019. It does everyone a disservice to low-key try to silence civil disagreement, as it prevents me from persuading people to my point of view or, God forbid, prevents others from pointing out any fallacious thinking on my part and helping me grow as a person.

BTW, that offense? Gonna have to take it. Opinion gatekeeping is, IMO, truly toxic. Not stopping you. Just saying. It's 2020. Time to be open to the new frontier that is good old fashioned dissent.

Last edited:
I didn't purchase the Fighter Pass blindly. The way I see it is if you have DLC, or you're expecting DLC, and if you want a sense of completion, you might go ahead and purchase it. That's how it is for me. Furthermore, even if I'm not interested in a character, I'd still like to be familiar with what the character is capable of and imagine what a person who mains a certain character might use in terms of safe options. I think that including a character from a series where there is quite a selection to choose from (7 FE characters prior to Byleth) is completely out of left field. Had it been a first-party character whose series isn't in Smash, I don't think the disappointment would have been as great as it is. I'm not going to be rude about it by clicking the "dislike" button on the Nintendo Direct channel, though.

Mea culpa for asking, since I know Digital Hazard frowns upon that--but why would that be rude in your estimation?
People are free to disagree or be disappointed, but on Twitter, there was an individual who encouraged others to down vote Byleth's debut on the Nintendo Direct (review bombing). Tools, by themselves, are amoral, but I personally never felt to dislike a video, even if it personally disappointed me. I prefer communication instead.

People are free to disagree or be disappointed, but on Twitter, there was an individual who encouraged others to down vote Byleth's debut on the Nintendo Direct (review bombing). Tools, by themselves, are amoral, but I personally never felt to dislike a video, even if it personally disappointed me. I prefer communication instead.
Fair enough. I appreciate you taking the time to explain. I don't agree that downvoting something that displeases a person is "rude" or even close to crossing a line, but I can see how a person might feel that way. IMO, downvoting is as valid a means of communication as posting a comment on the video, and it will likely get noticed a lot faster (and at all, really, as the glut of comments on these types of things tends to become quite large after awhile).

Last edited:
Overall... Was Byleth a good send-off to the Pass? Were they worth the buildup and wait? No, if I would have swapped them with anyone, it would have been with Terry, sending off the pass with a character that while somewhat niche is still a third party from a company making a comeback on recent years. Or better yet, place them in Pass 2, still after their game was proven a success and people would be more open to 1st parties.
Swapping with Terry would've actually been a lot better symbolically too.

One of the big inspirations of Sakurai creating Smash was actually an experience he had playing a KoF game, so it would've been really beautiful if a SNK character was the finale for the Pass because things would've gone full circle, endings things off with what started it all.

My Ideal roster If I were directing the Sequel to Ultimate (By Series)
(Disclaimer = I have A TON, of character ideas, so here is only characters
from the Nintendo series, 3rd party and DLC will come tomorrow)!!!
* = New Character

Mario Bros: Mario, Luigi, Dr Mario, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina & Luma, Bowser
Bowser Jr, Piranha Plant, *Shy Guy, *Paper Mario, *Waluigi, Captain Toad,
*King Boo, *Geno

Wario: Wario *Ashley

Yoshi: Yoshi, *Kamek

Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, *Dixie Kong

Legend Of Zelda: Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link, Toon Link
*Toon Zelda/Tetra, *Midna/Imp Midna, *Skull Kid, *Lana (Hyrule Warriors),
*Revali

Kirby: Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, *Bandana Dee, *Adeleine

Metroid: Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Dark Samus, Ridley, *Sylux

Star Fox: Fox, Falco, Wolf, *Krystal

Kid Icarus: Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit, *Hades

Pokemon: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, Pichu, Lucario,
Greninja, Incineroar, *Zoroark, *Rillaboom, *Dragapult

Fire Emblem: Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina, Chrom, Robin, Corrin, Blythe,
*Black Knight

Pikmin: Olimar, *Alph

F-Zero: Captain Falcon, *Black Shadow

Splatoon: Inkling, *Octoling

ARMS: *Spring Man, *Ribbon Girl

Earthbound: Ness, Lucas, *Ninten

Xenoblade: Shulk, *Elma, *Rex

Wii Fit: Wii Fit Trainer

Last edited:
Haters gonna hate! Haters gonna hate! Ya'll have nothing to complain about! we got banjo, so we have no excuse to *****. we all knew this was gonna happen.
I've been waiting for Geno, my most wanted since 2005. I didn't get much of a reaction from Banjo aside from just 'there is hope'

I was hearing about people going on each regional Nintendo YouTube channel to downvote the presentation/character trailer. That’s pretty sinister (and petty) if true.

I've been seeing a lot of people calling out the team for keeping the contents of the Fighters Pass secret while also selling it for preorder. I'm not going to go into weather that's ethical or shady since that's not my conversation, but if you bought the Fighters Pass and are disappointed that you have to purchase Byleth, it's hard for me to believe you didn't see this as a possibility going in. Sure, Nintendo sold the Fighters Pass, but you made the decision to spend the money. That's on you.

It's a bit controversial, but I think having Byleth last in the pack was the better choice... Announcing Byleth alongside the announcement that there will be 6 more characters will make people feel like "we got another fire emblem character out of the 11 paid for DLC fighters" instead of 5. Sure there are people that will have bought the pack and hate that they paid for another fire emblem character... (personally, I plan to buy every DLC fighter, unless it's a fully priced clone or echo fighter, for this game regardless if I ever use them or not.)

Last edited:
People trying to legitimize their distaste with disingenuous faux-analyses are kinda funny, but annoying.

If Byleth isn't your thing, move onto the other six characters we were just promised and let Byleth fans enjoy their moment. I was really disappointed by Joker, but I didn't spend days questioning the timing of his reveal or the sales numbers of his series or the spots he "stole."

Other people like other things. Shocker. :rolleyes:

People trying to legitimize their distaste with disingenuous faux-analyses are kinda funny, but annoying.

If Byleth isn't your thing, move onto the other six characters we were just promised and let Byleth fans enjoy their moment. I was really disappointed by Joker, but I didn't spend days questioning the timing of his reveal or the sales numbers of his series or the spots he "stole."

Other people like other things. Shocker. :rolleyes:
''Yeah! If you're not happy, like me, shut up! My opinion is the only one worth being expressed!''

If people are disappointed, they are allowed to say it. Other people dislike other things...

And I find difficult to ''move on'' to the next six characters when I'm only expecting disappointment.

If people are disappointed, they are allowed to say it. Other people dislike other things...

And I find difficult to ''move on'' to the next six characters when I'm only expecting disappointment.
While this is true, there's a difference between expressing your disappointment in a civil fashion and being toxic about it by either insulting the franchise or the character's fans.

The former is perfectly fine, the latter just adds to the bad stereotypes that the Smash fandom is unfortunate enough to have.

A Fire Emblem character was inevitable, especially with how well Three Houses sold, but even though I'm one of those who actually, legitimately wanted Byleth, I can see and actually share the disappointment of how they were the final character of that Fighters Pass. That's literally the worst timing for the character.

Last edited:
While this is true, there's a difference between expressing your disappointment in a civil fashion and being toxic about it by either insulting the franchise or the character's fans.
Of course. But did someone do that here, I mean on this thread?

Also the fact that a new Fire Emblem rep was very likely (rather than 'inevitable') doesn't make it any better in my eyes. An unfair situation does not become more fair because we see it coming.

Last edited:
Of course. But did someone do that here, I mean on this thread?
Some people here have been basically making fun of the franchise in this thread just because Byleth's the next DLC, or saying they don't wanna buy the next Pass because they don't want another Fire Emblem.

Not saying any names (you're not one of them tho) since I'm not trying to make any callouts or anything like that, and it's not really nearly as toxic as it could be (like Twitter), but it's still somewhat uncalled for.

There are ways to express disappointment without insulting Fire Emblem. Just saying "I don't want to buy Pass 2 early to avoid getting disappointed again" comes off a lot better than "There's too much FE, so I won't buy the second Pass."

At least, those are my two cents.

Also the fact that a new Fire Emblem rep was very likely (rather than 'inevitable') doesn't make it any better in my eyes. An unfair situation does not become more fair because we see it coming.
That I agree. Again, I'm fully on board with the fact that the reveal was a disappointment, despite wanting the character and thinking the moveset's cool.

If they were Pass 2, or at least not the first one's finale, I'm sure Byleth would be accepted more warmly. There's still be disappointment (Smash fandom hates Fire Emblem, amirite? :V), but at least, we wouldn't feel like we got robbed.

Last edited:
Some people here have been basically making fun of the franchise in this thread just because Byleth's the next DLC, or saying they don't wanna buy the next Pass because they don't want another Fire Emblem.

Not saying any names (you're not one of them tho) since I'm not trying to make any callouts or anything like that, and it's not really nearly as toxic as it could be (like Twitter), but it's still somewhat uncalled for.

There are ways to express disappointment without insulting Fire Emblem. Just saying "I don't want to buy Pass 2 early to avoid getting disappointed again" comes off a lot better than "There's too much FE, so I won't buy the second Pass."

At least, those are my two cents.

That I agree. Again, I'm fully on board with the fact that the reveal was a disappointment, despite wanting the character and thinking the moveset's cool.

If they were Pass 2, or at least not the first one's finale, I'm sure Byleth would be accepted more warmly. There's still be disappointment (Smash fandom hates Fire Emblem, amirite? :V), but at least, we wouldn't feel like we got robbed.
Well, I don't think saying "There is too much Fire Emblem" (or Pokémon or Mario) is insulting the franchise. It's not about the franchise itself, only about its representation in Smash, which is different.

I like how "toxic" is the new buzzword that gets tossed around whenever someone wants to stifle dissent. Corporations use this word to great effect. How do you explain poor movie reviews on Rotten Tomatoes? Blame "toxic masculinity" and watch as the "real fans" defend the film for free.

Don't like the Byleth reveal? Stop being "toxic." Smash has a reputation for having a "toxic" fandom as it is. You don't want to be part of THAT, do you? Don't downvote on YouTube to show your displeasure. Don't post it on SmashBoards. Don't suggest to others who feel similarly disappointed that they simply opt not to buy Pass 2. Don't suggest that it is within anyone's power to send a message (after a fashion) to the corporation regarding displeasure. Why remind them that as the consumer, they have power in this exchange as well? Big corporation is so much bigger than they are, and thus always right. Stop being "toxic." Don't ask questions. Just consume product and then get excited for next product.

You have six more mystery characters coming over the next two years, after all, that you are being offered in exchange for money you've earned whilst working hard at your job. Don't you realize that you owe it to the big corporation and its representatives to purchase this second pass blindly, even though doing so with the first pass was a mistake? Aren't you grateful for the cloak and dagger reveals, the agonizing speculation cycles, the long droughts of information, only to be met with a character you judge as a mediocre? You're being given the opportunity to do this for twice as long and for 40% fewer characters than the first pass (five characters in one year versus six in two). Why are you being so "toxic" and ungrateful to this monolithic entity that wants only your cash in exchange for its altruism? For shame.

Aren't you likewise grateful for Sakurai doing what Sakurai is paid to do? The game programmer is programming games for you(r money). Don't be "toxic." Be grateful. He's doing this for you(r money) out of the kindness of his heart. And please, please, don't be "toxic" and express your displeasure about Byleth around the Gentry--er, I mean Fire Emblem fans. They've only received a paltry seven other characters to represent their favorite franchise in this game, and their enjoyment of this one (eighth) character is directly connected to how many people like or dislike Byleth publicly, so sharing negative opinions civilly, while allowed, is "toxic" and thus "socially" unacceptable, and therefore not allowed.

You know, in all seriousness, I remember a day when shills were actually paid for their work. Corporations have become so good at consumer manipulation that now people will shill for them for free.

Last edited:
I like how "toxic" is the new buzzword that gets tossed around whenever someone wants to stifle dissent. Corporations use this word to great effect. How do you explain poor movie reviews on Rotten Tomatoes? Blame "toxic masculinity" and watch as the "real fans" defend the film for free.

Don't like the Byleth reveal? Stop being "toxic." Smash has a reputation for having a "toxic" fandom as it is. You don't want to be part of THAT, do you? Don't downvote on YouTube to show your displeasure. Don't post it on SmashBoards. Don't suggest to others who feel similarly disappointed that they simply opt not to buy Pass 2. Don't suggest that it is within anyone's power to send a message (after a fashion) to the corporation regarding displeasure. Stop being "toxic." Don't ask questions. Just consume product and then get excited for next product. You have six more mystery characters coming over the next two years, after all, that you are being offered in exchange for money you've earned whilst working hard at your job. Aren't you grateful for Sakurai doing what Sakurai is paid to do? The game programmer is programming games for you(r money). Don't be "toxic." Be grateful. He's doing this for you(r money) out of the kindness of his heart. And please, please, don't be "toxic" and express your displeasure about Byleth around the Gentry--er, I mean Fire Emblem fans. Their enjoyment of this character is directly connected to how many people like or dislike Byleth publicly, so sharing negative opinions civilly, while allowed, is "toxic" and thus "socially" unacceptable.

You know, in all seriousness, I remember a day when shills were actually paid for their work. Corporations have become so good at consumer manipulation that now people will shill for them for free.
Agree, I respect him for making us happy sometimes.

Agree, I respect him for making us happy sometimes.
I respect Sakurai, too. I've certainly praised him (in various places not necessarily here) more than I've lampooned him. But a member of the Cult of St. Masahiro I am not. He's a human. A great one, but still a human. Not every choice he makes is a good one.

View attachment 258142
So I have a question. Why would this pack be ready by December 2021? Are we getting another pack after this one?
I think Vol. 2 will be the last hurrah personally. when this wraps up it will in Ultimate's 3rd year and the Switch's 4th year of life. Nintendo consoles on average have a lifespan between 5-8 years, so that would likely be the endpoint, with everyone prepping another project(next Smash ore another work) after that.

Last edited:
''Yeah! If you're not happy, like me, shut up! My opinion is the only one worth being expressed!''

For the record, I'm posting as a moderator, not as a FE fan. I'm not forcing my opinion or tastes on anyone, and if you read it that way, sorry.

It's the attempts at analysis to justify their distaste that rile me and make me laugh at the same time. It's not enough to say, "wow, I don't like that." People have to try and legitimize their distaste as factual and make fans who got what they wanted feel bad for getting what they wanted.

I did it too when I was in my teens. But then I grew up.

For the record, I'm posting as a moderator, not as a FE fan. I'm not forcing my opinion or tastes on anyone, and if you read it that way, sorry.

It's the attempts at analysis to justify their distaste that rile me and make me laugh at the same time. It's not enough to say, "wow, I don't like that." People have to try and legitimize their distaste as factual and make fans who got what they wanted feel bad for getting what they wanted.

I did it too when I was in my teens. But then I grew up.
So people can express their like/dislike, but should not explain and give the reasons why they feel like that? What's the point of talking about something then? If you just say "I'm glad/disappointed", I honnestly don't care the sligtest. But if you add "because" and explain your expectations and how you see the game, then and only then, I start getting interested.

So people can express their like/dislike, but should not explain and give the reasons why they feel like that? What's the point of talking about something then? If you just say "I'm glad/disappointed", I honnestly don't care the sligtest. But if you add "because" and explain your expectations and how you see the game, then and only then, I start getting interested.
No, let me clarify.

"I'm disappointed because I think there are too many FE characters already, and I would have preferred new franchises instead, as that's what we've gotten for the rest of the pass and that's what I'd grown to expect."

^reasonable argument, A-okay!

"FE doesn't deserve another slot because it's a niche game and its sales prove my point because Smash characters are based on this arbitrary metric. Reggie said this thing and when I interpret it this way, he's a liar. And Sakurai said this about FE before so he's biased and that's why my favorite didn't get in."

^faux analysis meant to convince others one's opinion is actually factual and not an opinion; not okay

Yeah, gotta admit that a blanket statement without reason doesn't promote much discussion on a "discussion board." Likewise, tying some sense of maturity to one's refusal to explain one's position or engage those who may have opposing viewpoints is, frankly, absurd to the point of being laughable. "I grew up, so I don't explain why I like or dislike things anymore." What? Lol. I would think that well adjusted adults (the "because I grew up" crowd) would be more tolerant of dissenting viewpoints. Because they grew up.

On top of that, this isn't a Fire Emblem fan message board. I realize FE makes up 10% of the roster, but Smash still isn't an FE game (yet). No one is coming in here and trolling the FE fan community on purpose; I have as much a right to be here as they do, as we're all Smash fans.

And honestly if someone "feels bad" for liking Fire Emblem simply because Byleth is being received poorly, they have far bigger problems than Byleth, Smash, Sakurai, or someone like me, and I would suggest they seek assistance from a trained professional. Not a slam, not a dig; just some legitimate concern-based advice.

No, let me clarify.

"I'm disappointed because I think there are too many FE characters already, and I would have preferred new franchises instead, as that's what we've gotten for the rest of the pass and that's what I'd grown to expect."

^reasonable argument, A-okay!

"FE doesn't deserve another slot because it's a niche game and its sales prove my point because Smash characters are based on this arbitrary metric. Reggie said this thing and when I interpret it this way, he's a liar. And Sakurai said this about FE before so he's biased and that's why my favorite didn't get in."

^faux analysis meant to convince others one's opinion is actually factual and not an opinion; not okay
I would personally say both reasons are valid and open to discussion. If someone is citing something incorrectly, or is spouting off "faux facts," the grown up thing would be to challenge those misconceptions, no?

I would personally say both reasons are valid and open to discussion. If someone is citing something incorrectly, or is spouting off "faux facts," the grown up thing would be to challenge those misconceptions, no?
Yes. That is what meaningful discussion is.

Within the Smash community regarding FE, I feel as though reasonable discussion isn't something people want to have. It feels different.

Top Bottom