• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth: Joins House Smash Brothers Social Thread

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, Nintendo Everything has provided its own official translation.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...mblem_reps_in_smash_says_its_time_to_move_on1

Basically saying "yes, that happened, but what can you do, I have no say in it this time, it can't be helped". Also, indirectly telling Int Sys. to change things up with their lords for once.
I'm pretty sure Byleth isn't a lord.

More to the point, the reason swords are the go-to weapon for main characters is probably simply for being the most accurate and consistent weapon type. You wouldn't want to frustrate new players with their main character missing a lot with their heavy axe, would you? That's why Hector's campaign can only be played after you're proven yourself by beating the main one.

Even the other main "lord" that deviates strongly from swords, Micaiah, still kind of plays into it by being in a game that features the magic trinity, and using the sword analogue (weak but accurate) that is light magic. And has a sword user backing her up in the first level anyway.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, nowadays every new lead player character of some sort has to have an additional gimmick to supplement their usual sword, otherwise it gets harder to justify adding them in Smash, if they're added alone (which is likely, because I don't think we're getting another Awakening case of multiple characters again). As much as people generally hate Corrin as a character, their nature as a Manakete did help to provide a fairly distinct fighting style to complement their katana in Smash. Byleth's whip-sword apparently wasn't enough, so the Three House lords' Runes are present to use in Ultimate.

Fortunately, they should have plenty of time to come up with something for the next FE, and even then it'll be at least a decade before the next Smash arrives.

And we're not getting Micaiah regardless, I've made peace with that ages ago.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In any case, nowadays every new lead player character of some sort has to have an additional gimmick to supplement their usual sword, otherwise it gets harder to justify adding them in Smash, if they're added alone (which is likely, because I don't think we're getting another Awakening case of multiple characters again). As much as people generally hate Corrin as a character, their nature as a Manakete did help to provide a fairly distinct fighting style to complement their katana in Smash. Byleth's whip-sword apparently wasn't enough, so the Three House lords' Runes are present to use in Ultimate.

Fortunately, they should have plenty of time to come up with something for the next FE, and even then it'll be at least a decade before the next Smash arrives.

And we're not getting Micaiah regardless, I've made peace with that ages ago.
What exactly about my post made it sound like I was arguing for Micaiah's playable inclusion?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What exactly about my post made it sound like I was arguing for Micaiah's playable inclusion?
You brought her up and there's still a support thread for her, is all.

Anyway, back to the article, I couldn't care less if we apparently got too many swordsmen/FE characters, but it's not like they can just toss them all out either since FE's bigger stateside than it used to be around Melee's timeframe. If all of them save for Marth, Byleth and maybe Roy didn't make the next game's roster, would people be fine with that, or would they realise that something feels missing?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You brought her up and there's still a support thread for her, is all.

Anyway, back to the article, I couldn't care less if we apparently got too many swordsmen/FE characters, but it's not like they can just toss them all out either since FE's bigger stateside than it used to be around Melee's timeframe. If all of them save for Marth, Byleth and maybe Roy didn't make the next game's roster, would people be fine with that, or would they realise that something feels missing?

The same thing that always happens.

Both.

But the unhappy folks will be the ones making more noise. They didn't make those Roy Koopa and chance another day memes for nothing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The same thing that always happens.

Both.

But the unhappy folks will be the ones making more noise. They didn't make those Roy Koopa and chance another day memes for nothing.
Methinks the Smash fanbase tends to be Tsundere, really. :4pacman:

That aside, do you have any ideas as to which FE will get a remake next, if any? I'm not sure if it'll be Genealogy of the Holy War or Binding Blade, myself.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

That aside, do you have any ideas as to which FE will get a remake next, if any? I'm not sure if it'll be Genealogy of the Holy War or Binding Blade, myself.
Seeing how Three Houses seems to draw a number of inspirations from Holy War, I could see that one being next.

As well as adding a what-if campaign with a playable Julius where he decides not to kidnap Deirdre.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I heard a rumor that FE6 and FE7 were both being remade into a single game, but I don't want to put all my eggs into one basket until it actually proves true.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
I think Byleth players can go a long way by just knowing how to space Fairs and Bairs. I'm awful at it, and I constantly letting people in on my "zone". You know you're bad when you're constantly trading with characters that don't even have disjoints. As of late, I feel I am spending too much time trying to master combos that I am completely neglecting my spacing. 70+% of my matches are probably Nair, even approaching (not good).

Nah

Smash Champion
That's a not uncommon problem in this community, focusing on combos over much more important fundamental things, so it's good that you recognize that. Especially with a character that does pretty good damage per hit and kills at wtf%.

Not to say that learning and using combos has no value, just that some people get too bogged down in "muh deeps" instead of learning how to fight.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
That's a not uncommon problem in this community, focusing on combos over much more important fundamental things, so it's good that you recognize that. Especially with a character that does pretty good damage per hit and kills at wtf%.

Not to say that learning and using combos has no value, just that some people get too bogged down in "muh deeps" instead of learning how to fight.
I think Byleth's combos might end up being fairly important, so you can get the most of your interactions...but it's not like stray 15+% damage (Fair/Bair) isn't solid as it is. Besides, you're right. I definitely prioritize them if I just started off.

I've been doing a lot better just because I improved my spacing, which is namely Fair/Bair.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
MkLeo using Byleth to close out a big tournament :p

Well, I expect more people will be interested in Byleth now. He's just a good player tho.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
I THINK I PLAYED THIS MATCH WELL

except for the spacing part

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Man I'm hype for the Byleth Amiibo.

Amyr seems like the kind of move that Amiibos would just love eating a faceful of, especially when you compound the super armor with Armor Knight

D

Deleted member

MkLeo using Byleth to close out a big tournament :p

Well, I expect more people will be interested in Byleth now. He's just a good player tho.
No. This clearly means Byleth is S-Tier and needs to be nerfed.

/s

I THINK I PLAYED THIS MATCH WELL

except for the spacing part
Good plays. I especially liked the "grab onto ledge, immediately side-b when off" trick.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Now that we're a month into their release, what's y'all's bread and butter game plan when using Byleth? Combos you try to fish for? Preferred ways you approach and try to maintain advantage state? Mixups to compensate for Fair/Bair approaches being very obvious with very specific spacing, and being vulnerable to parries?

I still feel as though I'm not learning anything when using them. I'm no stranger to spacing aerials, and that's all well and good but sweetspot Fair and Bair won't lead to any followups themselves. Most of my combos come off of Utilt and Dtilt into Uairs which only gets me so far since Byleth can't keep chasing down an opponent for long. Nair keeps surprising me with unexpected whiffs, fall-outs, or wrong knockback directions so I never feel ready to go for a followup, and I never feel like going for Up Special due to its positioning hangups after a successful 50+% hit. I've started to get a feel for menacing landings and defensive play with grounded Side Special, but still don't really know when I should go for aerial versions outside of those moments when I suddenly can see the Matrix and realize my opponent's been floating away from my aerials right into the perfect spot to catch them with it. But when I win, I often feel as though my opponent messed up instead of me playing correctly, and I think it's because my kills are mostly from stray hits instead of setups.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No. This clearly means Byleth is S-Tier and needs to be nerfed.

/s

Good plays. I especially liked the "grab onto ledge, immediately side-b when off" trick.
Hi hun :O Didn't know you were around :D

I do still hope sakurai feels like buffing them (maybe their speed :p) at some point. :)

D

Deleted member

Hi hun :O Didn't know you were around :D

I do still hope sakurai feels like buffing them (maybe their speed :p) at some point. :)
Just turn Failnaught into an actual projectile. That's what would make me lab them out. (I love a good zoning game.)

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Now that we're a month into their release, what's y'all's bread and butter game plan when using Byleth? Combos you try to fish for? Preferred ways you approach and try to maintain advantage state? Mixups to compensate for Fair/Bair approaches being very obvious with very specific spacing, and being vulnerable to parries?

I still feel as though I'm not learning anything when using them. I'm no stranger to spacing aerials, and that's all well and good but sweetspot Fair and Bair won't lead to any followups themselves. Most of my combos come off of Utilt and Dtilt into Uairs which only gets me so far since Byleth can't keep chasing down an opponent for long. Nair keeps surprising me with unexpected whiffs, fall-outs, or wrong knockback directions so I never feel ready to go for a followup, and I never feel like going for Up Special due to its positioning hangups after a successful 50+% hit. I've started to get a feel for menacing landings and defensive play with grounded Side Special, but still don't really know when I should go for aerial versions outside of those moments when I suddenly can see the Matrix and realize my opponent's been floating away from my aerials right into the perfect spot to catch them with it. But when I win, I often feel as though my opponent messed up instead of me playing correctly, and I think it's because my kills are mostly from stray hits instead of setups.
I've been doing fairly well. I've already gotten two upsets in bracket this past week. I feel pretty comfterble with the character, but that also has to do with the fact I've gone as far as to pretty much solo Byleth, even when my main is actually Zelda.

I don't think anything is really too complex, and there are rarely any situations where I'd feel Byleth needs to be better at a certain aspect for me to feel content with the character. Spacing Fairs & Bairs and some grabs (namely, tomohawks) are pretty much where I feel it's at. It's not largely different than other spacing characters (I'm not calling Byleth a swordie because it's literally a lance and axe more than an actual sword). And I see what you mean at this narrow gameplan being succeptible to parries, but it's not like you can't mix it up with said grabs. Our grab is fairly decent, at least in terms of frame data and follow-ups. You can get D-Throw > Fair up until around mid percents, and if anything, DI away helps getting the tipper. I've landed a couple of D-Throw > Bairs at 50 at the ledge, and they actually killed. DI inwards can somewhat lead into Uair, or at least into some sort of tech scenario when platforms are involved.

I don't struggle with combo'ing, but that has to do a lot with Nair. Nair dragdowns lead to combos, but they're not always straightforward. If you hold inwards too much, they might land behind you (not hard to control, though). I haven't fully practiced all variations on weight/fallspeed, but I've done some pretty cool stuff with it.

The better I get with Byleth, the more I realise how inconsistent stuff like FSmash is. I find far more uses in U-Smash & D-Smash. U-Smash is a surprisingly solid OoS, and one of the best anti airs. Kills far earlier than it looks. D-Smash doesn't feel nearly as inconsistent as it looks. People pretty much have to jump out of or respect it altogether. People aren't safe to roll, spotdodge, or even hold shield.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
D-Smash doesn't feel nearly as inconsistent as it looks. People pretty much have to jump out of or respect it altogether. People aren't safe to roll, spotdodge, or even hold shield.
So what you're saying is that Byleth's down Smash has no weaknesses.

(The Yellow Temperance and Sheer Heart Attack stands from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure slowly intensify)

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
People who put the DK 0-death into their montages or compilations aren't real Byleth mains. :D

So what you're saying is that Byleth's down Smash has no weaknesses.
It does have weaknesses...smart people just jump. But it's also a pretty good move at the amount of options it can cover. And as far as weaknesses goes, it has this strange blindspot about the center (where Byleth is) where it has no hitbox, apparently. There were a couple of times I tried trapping people's option to roll back, only for the move to not even hit.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
As someone who was never particularly good at this game, I'm starting to respect the way Byleth is designed.

At first, I was really disappointed by the way they were implemented. Not only where they slow as hell, but their frame data was bad. Several of their moves like Down B and Neutral B seems like joke moves that were completely useless. This character couldn't approach, couldn't land, had no OOS options, no combos, etc. In this game, where characters like Game & Watch & Pac-Man have ridiculously spammable moves, good OOS options, and really good combos, this seemed like some kind of twisted joke, especially since Byleth was the only DLC fighter I was remotely excited for.

However, the more I play Byleth, the more I respect how the devs implemented him. A lot of his kit is significantly more powerful than I initially thought.
  • Fair & Bair: Most effective way to use these moves is at the apex of Byleth's short hop. This lets him fastfall & still get the hitbox out right before he lands. This sets up an interesting 50 / 50. If the opponent is at tipper range, then the move is safe on shield. If the opponent dashes in during Byleth's short hop, then he can immediately fastfall and do a jab / grab, putting the situation in his favor. These moves aren't half bad for landing either, especially if the opponent is coming from the side. Its also perfect at swatting jumping opponents & can cover their jump OOS if they shield the tippered hit.
  • Side-B: This move is a perfect reaction move for covering rolls and opponents above you. If the opponent does a directional airdodge in the air, this move ends up being relatively safe in practice. Its great at edgeguarding & cover opponents who try grabbing the ledge from above.
  • Nair: This is discount Game & Watch Nair. Really good against big bodies, decent landing option against foes directly below you, and great OOS option. It also sets up in Fair / Side-B nicely.
  • F-Smash: This move is incredible. Its range is so huge, it can cover rolls & landings pretty well. Most people use it as a ledge get-up option, but I love using it to hit opponents trying to grab the ledge from above / on the side.
  • D-Smash: Another great move. Ridiculously strong, decently fast, has great horizontal range on top of surprisingly decent vertical range. I think its best use is covering rolls / opponents who regrab the ledge.
  • Down B: A pathway to many memes some consider to be .... unnatural.
I don't know if any of these things make Byleth a good character. However, he's a very rewarding character to play & playing him makes me feel like I'm getting better at the game.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Once the entire roster of this is complete, I plan to do a post where the students of the three houses do a report on the fighters. I know you'll probably miss Biff's commentary, but I'm sorry; I just loved the diverse cast of Three Houses.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Once the entire roster of this is complete, I plan to do a post where the students of the three houses do a report on the fighters. I know you'll probably miss Biff's commentary, but I'm sorry; I just loved the diverse cast of Three Houses.
That sounds good, i can't wait.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I just created an interesting theory

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Happy Holidays everyone!

I preordered the Byleth Amiibo a little while back as a gift to myself. I'm a bit bummed there's no female Byleth Amiibo, but I alternate between male and female Byleth when I play them anyway, so I'm still happy with the male Byleth Amiibo.

Also, unrelated, but what are people's thoughts on directional air dodging out of Sword of the Creator above platforms? I haven't figured out anything that's true, but I've caught a couple people off guard above one of the side platforms by air dodging back/down and then up smashing. It killed at around 80, and around 80 is the main percentage area where the follow-up has a chance of working, since they don't bounce too high. Whether it lands also depends on DI and how they react after the up-B.

I also added a diagram since I'm not sure I'm explaining it the best:
diagram.jpg
Up tilt as the follow-up instead of up smash has been more consistent, but it doesn't kill and at that point I'm wondering if it'd just be better to pick a different option than the up-B in the first place. Have people found any consistent air dodge follow-ups off of up-B, or is it just for if you really read an opponent or catch them off guard?

Top Bottom