• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth: Joins House Smash Brothers Social Thread

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Having tried Byleth, I can say now that he's arguably most suitable for players with a read-based fighting style. Like Robin, he can't handle rushdown. In order to land those long-range hits, you're going to have to predict your opponent well. Just like an instructor sizing up the students, you want to anazlyse your opponent's habits and learn what makes them tick.

Overall, just as I predicted, I'm not good with this character. Still, he has an interesting moveset.
“ with a read-based fighting style.” Just play ZSS because that’s how they are supposed to work. Byleth can’t bait for crap with their slow speed and lag.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
User was warned for this post
Idon Idon can you seriously stop ******** and moaning about how bad you think Byleth is? Like seriously enough is enough. On like multiple threads too. It's one thing to say you don't think a character is good, but comments like "all their moves have the startup lag of Ike's fsmash" and "seems to be designed to steal kills with items" are just pointless ********. You obviously know that's not even remotely true because I know you're not a complete idiot, so just simmer down. We all know you think Byleth sucks okay?

HyperL

Smash Cadet
Honestly, from all Byleth gameplay I've seen I believe all she really needs is a way to escape edgeguarding. Like, once she get's thrown far off the stage she has no reliable tool to keep her opponents from finishing her off with a fair or nair near the blast zone.

The closest she has is Side B but by the time that move's hitbox appears their attack already hit you.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'd definitely appreciate the knockback being increased when being hit by the tipper from Side-B. Kinda sucks how that's one of their main tools for controlling space and it takes forever to kill with it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd definitely appreciate the knockback being increased when being hit by the tipper from Side-B. Kinda sucks how that's one of their main tools for controlling space and it takes forever to kill with it.
That or make it so that it actually smacks people horizontally.

HyperL

Smash Cadet
I would actually prefer if the aerial version of Side B was faster instead of stronger. Sakurai advertised the move as Byleth's way to cover diagonal opponents since her aerials are too vertical or horizontal, but the move starts too late to serve that purpose.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
That or make it so that it actually smacks people horizontally.
I don’t know about that, Byleth is a lot more terrorizing when they juggle.
Honestly, from all Byleth gameplay I've seen I believe all she really needs is a way to escape edgeguarding. Like, once she get's thrown far off the stage she has no reliable tool to keep her opponents from finishing her off with a fair or nair near the blast zone.

The closest she has is Side B but by the time that move's hitbox appears their attack already hit you.
All they literally have to do is buff their aerial speed to prevent janky kills from projectile spam.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don’t know about that, Byleth is a lot more terrorizing when they juggle.

All they literally have to do is buff their aerial speed to prevent janky kills from projectile spam.
I'm always up for more aerial speed :)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, I'm kind of amazed that F!Byleth's clothing hasn't been censored in any way whatsoever. Corrin couldn't even make it past the radar without having the thighs covered up.

I guess that see-through stockings make all the difference.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, I'm kind of amazed that F!Byleth's clothing hasn't been censored in any way whatsoever. Corrin couldn't even make it past the radar without having the thighs covered up.

I guess that see-through stockings make all the difference.
Which also makes it weird, since the Sothis alt doesn't have any stockings whatsoever.

Nah

Smash Champion
showing a little leg isn't really a problem

think a little harder about (or look a little harder at) F!Corrin's original outfit and you should be able to figure why they edited her's and not Byleth's

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Guess they don't like exposed butts much. Cleavage is a-ok sometimes, to a reasonable degree (see Bayo), but the second behinds are involved, that's too hot for family-friendly fun.

Which makes me wonder if Byleth's clothing silliness helps or hinders the chances of future girl DLC characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guess they don't like exposed butts much. Cleavage is a-ok sometimes, to a reasonable degree (see Bayo), but the second behinds are involved, that's too hot for family-friendly fun.

Which makes me wonder if Byleth's clothing silliness helps or hinders the chances of future girl DLC characters.
Remember that Smash is for good boys and girls.

D

Deleted member

Look it may not be my favourite addition ever. But I'm happy for you all.

Enjoy Byleth and congradulations.

D

Deleted member

Ohayo gozaimasu! First off, here is a blessed image for all to enjoy on this thread.

And second, this morning I think I found something else about Byleth that sold me besides F!Byleth's looks: his/her combo game. Of course, the combos my girls can do look cooler.

Let me tell you guys something. In all of my fourteen-and-a-half years of playing Smash, the combo aspect was something I rarely endeavored. After looking at Byleth combos, especially the ones that use the up-special, I am going to start learning some.

Um...well...sayonara. :lucina:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So I finally had a chance to play Byleth last night after the Super Bowl. And I have to say:

After maining Corrin for a year, it's been so long since I played someone with kill moves.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Kinda disapointed that the announcer in the japanese version doesn't say something like "Belet" or "Beles", like he does for Simon (Shimon) and Richter (Rihiter) - Hero he calls Yuusha even though it says Hero on the CSS (but it says Yuusha on his picture under the CSS).

Speaking of the japanese version, here's some useless facts: Unlike Robin and Corrin who's female alts use formal language and males doesn't, Byleth's female alt only has one polite quote: "kakatte kinasai" for Down Taunt (same as Lucina's Up Taunt), while the male one uses "kakatte koi" (same as Chrom's Up Taunt). Besides that, every quotes is the same for both versions.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Has anyone played around with trying to drag opponents down with Uair? Been wondering if Byleth gets any advantage off of that. I'm of the mind Nair is a really important setup tool for Byleth, so I'm looking for ways Byleth can catch opponents with it instead of fruitlessly trying to jump at them or land on them. It seems unlikely that Byleth could get much actual frame advantage off of it, but can he pull it off on an opponent with no jump and go into a Nair without putting himself at risk of eating a quick aerial...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ire_emblem_characters_but_its_nintendos_fault

Yeah, I'm officially confused at this point.

web4.jpg

In any case, PushDustIn PushDustIn clarified one specific bit.

Maybe the full picture will be clearer once the full column translation's out.

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1224972804124110848

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
BlackKite took a stab at the full column:

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr4sfq

Sounds like Byleth was picked because he would contrast with the rest: The first four fighters are characters who have made their debut in a past generation of consoles, and have a history behind them. Three Houses and Byleth, being current-gen, doesn't quite have that history just yet, and Byleth's ability to stand out from other swordfighters (since Fire Emblem produces a lot of them as-is) was helped out by the use of the House Leaders' relics + the fact that it would tie in to the Three Houses theme as well.

Also, it backs up PushDustin's tweet that what Sakurai said was that he understands the argument.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In fairness, Byleth is the only actual unique FE newcomer this time, with the only other one being an echo. Everyone else has been brought back from the last game (including certain that are fan-favorites, ironically enough :4pacman:), so it's all cumulative. Granted, it's what the network wants, and whatnot...

Also, it lends credence to the silly theory that Nintendo's easing Sakurai into doing stuff they want by starting with characters that are almost entirely from stuff he likes.

It also explains the occasional gaps of info we had, Sak was busy playing through an preliminary pre-release version of TH, so unlike other games he's played most of the stuff in there was unfamiliar to him (which had to be quite the challenge in this case). When the character he works on is from something he's played that's less recent, they're naturally much quicker to implement and start development for.

Finally, the end of the article notes that they're in the process of developing the next 6 DLC fighters, something that'll be brought up in the next column in two weeks.

Last edited:

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Stupid question,

How do you input Side B “like a smash attack”? You know, the tip Sakurai mentioned, that apparently gives you a bit of a range boost.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Stupid question,

How do you input Side B “like a smash attack”? You know, the tip Sakurai mentioned, that apparently gives you a bit of a range boost.
You just do like you would with a smash attack, but with the b button. You can do it in the air too, kinda like robin's smash attacks in the air. Just not as long ranged as on the ground.
Just do the motion with the b button :p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
wuuuuut : D
Lol, the levin sword. I'm just saying if you're familiar with that, it's easier to pull it off in the air. It doesn't get that much more range in the air tho (for byleth).
Essentially it's just the smash input, so if you're moving already, you need to get your stick to neutral, and then do like a smash attack, but with the b button.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Essentially it's just the smash input, so if you're moving already, you need to get your stick to neutral, and then do like a smash attack, but with the b button.
well that ain’t common sense :D

Nah

Smash Champion
what about stuff like :ultsamus::ultyounglink::ultgunner:, what do you do against that ****?

DrKatz

Smash Cadet
what about stuff like :ultsamus::ultyounglink::ultgunner:, what do you do against that ****?
On WiFi, depending on your connection - it can be pretty rough. But you have to time your jumps to punish with a well spaced fair/Nair, and work your way in. It’s difficult since you can’t really control the pace with your projectile since theirs come out so much faster.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Clear your mind, then walk and shield. Only once you notice a pattern do you attempt other measures to evade the projectiles.

Byleth is fortunate enough to not have to get extra close to put on the pressure, so don't get too flustered by bombs. Also try not to play on FD.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Should I finish my Byleth compilation yes or yes.

I don't want to put up my Youtube account so it can literally get like 2 views whereas yet another Game and Watch #9 you've seen since Brawl gets over 2k (I wish I were joking...).

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm a Robin main, but last night I managed to solo a small local tournament with Byleth. So I guess I'm a Byleth player now.

Hai. :happysheep:

Top Bottom