• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth: Joins House Smash Brothers Social Thread

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
Hey guys. It’s been a pretty ambitious week for Smash speculation. While things are probably going to get a little out of hand next week, allow me to share something cool I found today.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Genuine question: What makes you guys think that the game needs an 8th FE rep over a new, unrepresented third-party character?
Because Smash is a video game meant to be played, not just a roster designed to reflect game sales.

I'm perfectly fine with Fire Emblem getting an 8th rep provided they'd bring something unique to the table, which Byleth would certainly do. There's a lot of 3rd party choices that would bring a new franchise to Smash, but wouldn't necessarily bring anything exciting gameplay-wise.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Genuine question: What makes you guys think that the game needs an 8th FE rep over a new, unrepresented third-party character?
What makes you think that the game doesn't need a new character from a unrepresented Nintendo game in the Nintendo Crossover when said game was a hit critically and sales wise and also won more Awards at the VGA, a Western show, than Smash Bros itself, including Player's Voice which is a fan voted GotY, beating games like Sekiro, Resident Evil 2, Death Stranding, Star Wars and even Smash Bros?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Genuine question: What makes you think that going to a character's support thread to complain about their entire series is gonna go over well?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Because Three Houses did much better than Awakening and Fates, and Byleth is a very popular character with tons of potential.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I'm not sure if this is bait or not, but I'll bite. We don't. Furthermore, Smash doesn't need more characters. It's just that we want more characters and Byleth is one of the characters that the peeps of this thread want.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
God the toxic smash community has found this thread.

But to answer your question, Fire Emblem has a large character pool, is very popular, the fans love it, the franchise has hit a high in popularity to the point where Nintendo itself considers it on the same level as Pokémon, Mario, Metroid, LOTD, Etc. At this point it's safe to say it could happen, most likely after the pass though.

Also imagine going on a thread just to insult it (Did that once, regret my descision and learned my lesson.)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't want an 8th FE rep.

I want a Three Houses rep.

I like Three Houses and think all three lords and Byleth would add something totally new to the game. It was a good game. It has good music. It has a good world. I do not care very much for other FE games to the extent that I care about TH. Roy, for example, is not representative of a game I enjoy.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Well, let's not get off topic, relatable as this is.

Anyway, how would you react if Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude all came at once as separate DLC fighters, and you got one for free by beating a certain character's route first?
Honestly, as much as I like Dimitri and Claude, I think Byleth is more than enough to represent Three Houses.

That being said, I want the lords to play some role in Byleth's moveset, even if it just cameoing during his Final Smash. Alternatively, make Byleth Smash's first summoning character and let him bring in the lords for an attack each, similar to Captain Ginyu in DB FighterZ

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I think it'd be cool if all 3 house leaders appeared in Byleth's victory screen animations. Edelgard would say something like, "Now you know your limits." to add salt on the wounds for example.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Well, let's not get off topic, relatable as this is.

Anyway, how would you react if Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude all came at once as separate DLC fighters, and you got one for free by beating a certain character's route first?
I'd love that personally.
My absolute most wanted for Ultimate now is Edelgard, and I'd enjoy Byleth and Claude's playstyles a lot.

While I doubt all of them can join Ultimate, I really hope that in the next game FE representation get overhauled. Let go Corrin, Roy, Chrom and maybe even Ike and keep Marth, Lucina, Robin and add the 3H main cast because it will bring so much variety from the best game in the series.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
My absolute most wanted for Ultimate now is Edelgard, and I'd enjoy Byleth and Claude's playstyles a lot.

While I doubt all of them can join Ultimate, I really hope that in the next game FE representation get overhauled. Let go Corrin, Roy, Chrom and maybe even Ike and keep Marth, Lucina, Robin and add the 3H main cast because it will bring so much variety from the best game in the series.
Yes, kill the most unique characters and keep the exact replica.
That makes absolute sense.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly, removing any Fire Emblem character is a lot tougher than you'd think:
-:ultmarth: is the defacto face of the series and the one character everyone agrees cannot be removed
-:ultroy: was already removed once and builds off Marth's playstyle, but he's very popular in the context of Smash Bros and is too distinct to call an echo.
-:ultike: is the second most popular character in the series and has a unique playstyle and moveset.
-:ultrobin: is the most unique of the Fire Emblem characters thematically and represents the general idea of avatars in Fire Emblem
-:ultlucina: and :ultchrom: are both extremely easy to develop and have a large fanbase in both Fire Emblem and Smash, so it's kinda a waste to remove them
-:ultcorrin: is the most divisive of the roster, both in Smash and Fire Emblem, but still has a unique playstyle that isn't really seen anywhere else on the roster.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Yes, kill the most unique characters and keep the exact replica.
That makes absolute sense.
I have nothing against those characters, but Sakurai already made clear that next game is going to be harsh on cuts, especially between the roster becoming necessarely smaller and having to add new characters, and between Brawl and Smash 4 we already lost many unique fighters like Wolf, Lucas, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Ice Climbers. Being unique isn't enough for being saved, and as Garteam Garteam pointed out cutting any FE rep isn't easy, but some have to go for necessary reasons (and also finally bring diversity to the FE cast since having just swords is ridiculous), just like many Mario characters will have to leave.

Marth obviously isn't going anywhere, and so is Lucina being super popular, iconic and also extremely easy to make since she can be copied from Marth. Robin too is pretty safe since they are the actual Awakening rep, the game that saved the series, and also is extremely unique.

Roy was already cut once (and semi-clones are the first to go as seen by the transition from Brawl and Smash For) and if he goes so does Chrom, Corrin isn't popular among neither the FE or Smash fandom despite their unique moveset, and Ike is in a 50/50 position: while popular and unique he just isn't relevant anymore, and might end up being what Mewtwo was between Melee and Brawl.

I hate to say that, but FE would be the first series targeted by the cut hammer if what Sakurai has said so far is true, but at the very least it would open the possibility for characters with different weapons from the FE series.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Keep Ike and I'm fine. Corrin can go however. Roy and Chrom can stay, doesn't take much effort to keep them in.

Honestly, just bring the FE3H cast and keep everything else as is, and I'm also fine honestly.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I have nothing against those characters, but Sakurai already made clear that next game is going to be harsh on cuts, especially between the roster becoming necessarely smaller and having to add new characters, and between Brawl and Smash 4 we already lost many unique fighters like Wolf, Lucas, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Ice Climbers. Being unique isn't enough for being saved, and as Garteam Garteam pointed out cutting any FE rep isn't easy, but some have to go for necessary reasons (and also finally bring diversity to the FE cast since having just swords is ridiculous), just like many Mario characters will have to leave.

Marth obviously isn't going anywhere, and so is Lucina being super popular, iconic and also extremely easy to make since she can be copied from Marth. Robin too is pretty safe since they are the actual Awakening rep, the game that saved the series, and also is extremely unique.

Roy was already cut once (and semi-clones are the first to go as seen by the transition from Brawl and Smash For) and if he goes so does Chrom, Corrin isn't popular among neither the FE or Smash fandom despite their unique moveset, and Ike is in a 50/50 position: while popular and unique he just isn't relevant anymore, and might end up being what Mewtwo was between Melee and Brawl.

I hate to say that, but FE would be the first series targeted by the cut hammer if what Sakurai has said so far is true, but at the very least it would open the possibility for characters with different weapons from the FE series.
Yeah, that I understand.
Still, corrin is currently our manakete rep, and until we get someone better (hopefully tiki or somebody like that) she's our manakete rep.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
In my opinion, I would rather have a Fire Emblem Warriors sequel with characters from the other games not represented.

Though, it might be off topic but I’ve been playing a lot of Persona 4 Ultimax and I kept wondering how awesome it would be if Fire Emblem had a crossover fighting game of it’s in that style. Even though some smash fans disagree, the wide potential roster of different lords spanning different games all with unique traits and abilities in a pretty large series makes it perfect for a fighting game of it’s own.

One day...

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Quoting a recent reply I made in the Edelgard thread (Happy New Year, btw!):
Yeah, you can tell when a fake was created by someone who follows Smash but not Fire Emblem when only Byleth and Edelgard are mentioned without Dimitri or Claude.

Either way, further DLC for a game that's been out over two years and has gone a year and a half since its last update is...unlikely. Better odds are that a sequel will happen eventually...but whether that'd be sooner or later depends on a lot of factors. The least of which being if any of the Warriors teams aren't currently booked, or if Hyrule Warriors 2 or another Nintendo IP (Super Mario Warriors?) would take priority.

In my opinion, I would rather have a Fire Emblem Warriors sequel with characters from the other games not represented.

Though, it might be off topic but I’ve been playing a lot of Persona 4 Ultimax and I kept wondering how awesome it would be if Fire Emblem had a crossover fighting game of it’s in that style. Even though some smash fans disagree, the wide potential roster of different lords spanning different games all with unique traits and abilities in a pretty large series makes it perfect for a fighting game of it’s own.

One day...
I may or may not have ideas for how those would work. Both FE Warriors 2 and a FE fighting game.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Okay, I've been wanting to get this off my chest for a while: why do people want Byleth to be a Pokémon Trainer-type character with the House Leaders purely because of his merits as a professor? Not only would that be lazy (Byleth might as well be a background character), but...this quote describes my other feelings perfectly:
I never really understood the idea of all House Leaders from TH being shoved into the same character, the entire point of the game is that you have to pick a side, the only time they ever work together is in the opening map of the game, in the rest of it their relationships range from friendly rivalry to waging war on each other over differing ideologies. It's a particular issue with Edelgard and Dimitri, I don't think there's any way them teaming up could really be justified. To me the whole concept seems forced just for the sake of not having to pick one of the three, and I think it's fair enough to feel that way, but at that point Byleth is just the more logical option.

In general I highly doubt we're ever getting anything like Pokémon Trainer again, it taking the development of three unique characters really isn't ideal, there's little reason to push for it given the concept is already realized within the game, and when we're talking about DLC I'm not sure it's even possible given that the development team is scaled down and they have a very strict schedule to keep up with. On top of that I think Sakurai also views the transformation mechanic as being Pokémon Trainer's thing, it's pretty noteworthy that he kept Zelda/Shiek and Samus/ZSS separate, but still felt the need to combine Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard back together.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Okay, I've been wanting to get this off my chest for a while: why do people want Byleth to be a Pokémon Trainer-type character with the House Leaders purely because of his merits as a professor? Not only would that be lazy (Byleth might as well be a background character), but...this quote describes my other feelings perfectly:
I honestly don't understand either man

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I think it's an argument for representation, passed around by people who aren't as familiar with Three Houses. The idea's that having all three house leaders would "represent" the game better than just one character.

Problem is, it makes little to no sense once you actually try to work out the details, on top of it having zero precedent in canon since you only ever teach one of the three per playthrough.

I actually touched on how this overfocus on representation causes a few problems in the community in the intro of a recent video. Fanmade character concepts built just to "represent" as many ideas as possible that end up feeling messy and incoherent compared to canon movesets is one of the less toxic but still frustrating side effects.

Last edited:

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
Yes Mr. Sakurai, we definitely wanted an 8th FE swordie, and not another 3rd party rep or any other underrepresented franchise...

this game is on its last ****ing legs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom