• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth: Joins House Smash Brothers Social Thread

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’m currently working on an OP update after playing through Three Houses for the first time.

May take a couple of days.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I'm currently doing my second run of the game, and all I can say is count me in for Byleth in Smash!
Also I will do a bold prediction: if we don't see any 3H Spirit being included before Banjo is added then I really think Byleth has a strong shot of being in the Pass.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I'm currently doing my second run of the game, and all I can say is count me in for Byleth in Smash!
Also I will do a bold prediction: if we don't see any 3H Spirit being included before Banjo is added then I really think Byleth has a strong shot of being in the Pass.
Speaking of which, I'm surprised they didn't add any Three Houses Spirits around the day of launch.

HMMM

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Currently have like 100 hours, having gotten the game last Monday. I have been straight up no-lifing it.

Traditionally I am anti fire emblem newcomer. But Three Houses is legitimately one of the best games I've ever played. I want every single character playable in Smash, dammit :colorful:

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Recently started Three Houses, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. Decided to choose Golden Deer for mine first playthrough, on Hard-Classic mode. I knew right from the start most people were going to choose the Black Eagles--so for the sake of being different, I'm doing that one last. Personality-wise, Claude is definitely mine favourite of the three house leaders. If Smash Ultimate got one of those three, I would definitely want it to be Claude, since we still don't have a fighter with a strictly archer-based playstyle.

Overall, as of now I think Byleth has a lot going for him. People have been saying that this is the best Fire Emblem yet, and now I understand why.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I would like to support Byleth. I've been playing through Three Houses, and I think he would certainly be an interesting addition to Smash, provided they go all-in on the whipsword and time-manipulation. Sign me up.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Hey, the OP hasn't been updated yet. Still in progress?
Yeah, it’s a lot harder than I thought, but it’s moving along nicely don’t worry.

I’ll come back to some of the stuff I’ve missed when I’m back.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
You should update this upon three houses' release.
Because a certain someone pestered me to change the OP...
9ED289B2-6882-465F-9ADF-36AEBF46A007.jpeg

I did!

So yeah, take a look it at it you like, and if you have any questions go ahead. Just know that I still need to recount the supporters and grab all the media files and images, so the stuff in the spoilers are empty for now.
I’ll be rereading the thread to get back on any conversation I may have missed.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
DIVINE PULSE

View attachment 234258

One of Byleth’s most important techniques in battle, Sothis can stop and turn back the hands of time on Byleth’s command, helping Byleth to redo any action that could’ve made them vulnerable.

For battles like Smash, causing everything to change based on this technique may be too overpowered. Thus, Smash’s version of the technique could involve Byleth to turn himself back in time to a position several seconds prior (think of Geras from MK11). Or, Byleth could use it on someone else and have them reverse in time to a more vulnerable position. Perhaps both could occur. Regardless, having an ability such in Smash is unseen in the series.

Or it could be a counter, similar to Shulks vision.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Alright, time to catch up on stuff I haven’t responded to!

I think it would be interesting if Byleth has an Assist Mechanic that works similarly like Captain Ginyus in Fighterz, each assist also has a level up mechanic as well, since Three Houses is quite about improving the students you have in your army.
I see a lot of ideas regarding using other students and/or battalions, and it could provide an interesting play style that could be based off of Zelda’s Phantom Knight special. However, I don’t think a leveling up mechanic is really necessary.

Alright, I have an idea for him that's on the ambitious side, but if Hero of all characters happened then this might be possible.

When choosing colors, you also choose one of the three houses. This has no gameplay effect, but the 8 students from it will help you in battle as part of your special moves.

Normals: His normals all revolve around his sword of the creator. jab, tilts, and some aerials are non extended, but smashes and some aerials use the whip mode. Like belmonts, this can be used to tether recover, which is important because his up B can't always be used to recover.

Neutral B: Reason. You cycle through a menu of 3 different spells, each of which is casted by a different member of your house, which will appear next to you upon selection and cast it. Regardless of house choice it is always the same 3 spells. Fire (Byleth himself) sends out a projectile which moves straight and fairly fast. Luna (Hubert/Annette/Lysithea) appears a set distance before you, a la explosive flame, and has a slight delay, but breaks shields and spikes. Rescue (Linhardt/Mercedes/Marianne) puts one the caster of the spell on a nearby piece of stable ground and teleports you to it (your opponent can predict where you will be teleported to since you yourself don't have control). Whenever you use a spell a certain number of times, it cannot be used again until you lose a stock.

Side B: Curved shot. A reticle appears in front of you which you can move around. When you release it, Bernadetta/Ashe/Claude fires an arrow from the background of the stage to that specific point. Works similarly to din's fire but with more precise control. You cannot, however, fire this close to you, as the reticle starts a distance from you and cannot be moved closer.

Up B: Pegasus. Petra/Ingrid/Leonie swoops in on a pegasus knight which you may fly for a short period of time. You have free movement throughout the air and you may use aerial attacks. After the time period is off or you willingly jump off, you may continue to act in the air but may not use your up B again until you hit the ground. The pegasus can get hit, however, and if it takes enough damage you will automatically dismout and you cannot use the pegasus again for another 20 or so seconds. Arrows, such as from Link's neutral B or from Byleth's own side B, automatically defeat the pegasus in one hit.

Down B: Disturbance. The 4 members of your house not in your other specials all appear beside you and then charge forward, attacking all enemies they come across. This deals immense damage to shields. They are led by Edelgard/Dimitri/Hilda.

He has 2 final smashes.

1. Ruptured heaven. He swings the sword of the creator at someone. If it hits, then he goes into a cinematic where he uses the ruptured heaven combat art, sending them flying after.

2. Divine Pulse. If he is hurt while he has the final smash available, if you are quick, you may press b to turn back time 3 seconds. All other players inputs cannot be changed and are predetermined: they will act exactly as they did prior. You, however, may change what you did in those 3 seconds, and that includes using Ruptured Heaven so long as you don't wait too long after turning back time to do so.

Overall he'd be a sort of strategic zoner character, between his projectile specials and his sword whip, who has lots of recovery options, but all of them have counterplay options that can render them dangerous for Byleth.
I do have a couple of gripes. One, I feel that Divine Pulse fits better as a special and provide a unique time reversing mechanic for his playstyle.

Two, generally I’d rather have Byleth’s specials be based on the abilities they do rather than rely on other students or mechanics. I feel that Byleth has a lot of material for their move set to speak on their own without having to rely too much on game mechanics. Not saying that I wouldn’t like having some students appear, but for all 4 specials? Not really.

Perkilator

Smash Legend

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Now that’s an interesting addition! Byleth would be very nice, so count me in!

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Byleth is my most wanted Nintendo character after playeing Three Houses! Sign me up!

If we are lucky and get him, I hope he will have every weapon in his moveset involved. I mean the characters in Three Houses can use every weapon so he should represent this.

Final Smash: Battalion animation but with all students instead.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Here's a Classic Mode I created for Byleth...less than two weeks before the game came out, when I knew jack squat about the game.
Byleth: Student-Teacher Ratio

Stage 1: :ultsonic: on Onett (Rooftop Run)
Stage 2: :ultluigi: on Summit (Chill)
Stage 3: :ultmiifighters: on Pictochat (Big Brain Academy)
Stage 4: Shujin:ultjoker: on Fourside (Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There)
Stage 5: :ultroy: on Coliseum (Beyond the Distant Skies~Roy's Journey)
Stage 6: :ultwiifittrainer: on Wii Fit (Training Menu-Wii Fit U)
Boss: Master (Crazy) Hand

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Sorry for not keeping up with the thread, I left in the back of my head for too long.

Or it could be a counter, similar to Shulks vision.
Two Words: Wasted Potential

Divine Pulse works less like a direct attack and more of a strategic rearrangement, where you can retrace your steps and do something differently. The reason Shulk’s Vision works the way it does is because looking into the future... fall out isn’t feasible for an action game like Smash.

Divine Pulse has potential to have make either Byleth or the opponent go back to a previous position for crazy set ups or comebacks in ways not seen in Smash. It’s a bit confusing to someone suggest it to be a counter attack similar to the FE characters when people didn’t like how almost every FE character had one.

Yes, TH is crossing over with Tetris 99. At this rate, getting a rep in Smash is inevitable.
Yeah, I’m surprised FE: Three Houses got something like this, but considering how FE is more niche, they may as well try to spread awareness of this game in whatever way they can.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
No one saying something here? Wtf?

Still no spirits. We will get more DLC for Smash!

Byleth almost guaranteed IMO!

H-E-D

Smash Rookie
I'd dig Byleth-as-Pokémon Trainer for Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri, if that makes sense.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
I'd dig Byleth-as-Pokémon Trainer for Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri, if that makes sense.
I would just add them to Byleths Battalion Final Smash. Maybe like this:

Male and female Byleth costumes are Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude and Rhea based.

Edelgard costume: Final Smash battalion with Edelgard and the Black Eagles

Dimitri costume: Final Smash battalion with Dimitri and the Blue Lions

And so on, you get the idea

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
I would just add them to Byleths Battalion Final Smash. Maybe like this:

Male and female Byleth costumes are Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude and Rhea based.

Edelgard costume: Final Smash battalion with Edelgard and the Black Eagles

Dimitri costume: Final Smash battalion with Dimitri and the Blue Lions

And so on, you get the idea
I'd honestly prefer a FS where after hitting the opponent he briefly merges with Sothis and cuts a hole in the fabric of space before tossing the opponent in and closing it up.After all,it's something Byleth could totally do and it's a bit less boring than just a stock team up FS.

Last edited:

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
I'd honestly prefer a FS where after hitting the opponent he briefly merges with Sothis and cuts a hole in the fabric of space before tossing the opponent in and closing it up.After all,it's something Byleth could totally do and it's a bit less boring than just a stock team up FS.
I like this one more xD

Last edited:

H-E-D

Smash Rookie
Why? Their fighting styles are too much to work as a Pokémon Trainer clone.
Oh, to be clear, I didn't mean as a clone of Pokémon Trainer. I just meant, based on the same principle. A three-in-one character, the down-b would be to switch between them, but each character would play in a way that suits them, not as echoes of the Pokémon Trainer options.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Oh, to be clear, I didn't mean as a clone of Pokémon Trainer. I just meant, based on the same principle. A three-in-one character, the down-b would be to switch between them, but each character would play in a way that suits them, not as echoes of the Pokémon Trainer options.
But in concept is exactly what I mean. The whole point of Three Houses is that whichever house you pick is where your life is led, meaning you can’t just unite everyone.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'm surprised this thread isn't more active, what with Three Houses being such a success and the confirmation of more Smash DLC eliminating any concerns over releasing too late to factor into the Pass.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
While playing Three Houses, I went into a conversation with Seteth about Byleth’s past, and here’s what I learned:

Lol, I started off as BE but because Edelgard left me VERY disappointed I went GD for my second walkthrough and I can safely say I am now part of the "Fear the Deer" gang.
I'm surprised this thread isn't more active, what with Three Houses being such a success and the confirmation of more Smash DLC eliminating any concerns over releasing too late to factor into the Pass.
I think that's because they'd rather have Edelgard, Dimitri or Claude before Byleth.

Perkilator

Smash Legend

According to this poll, Byleth is apparently the 5th most wanted character in Japan.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122

According to this poll, Byleth is apparently the 5th most wanted character in Japan.
I can already imagine the faces on the Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude fans when they see that Japan would rather have the self-insert over the lord characters.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
The actually-unique-and-completely-relatable self-insert (Three Houses is a good game in general)
Tbf, I have absolutely no problem with silent protagonists, thought I can see why people hate them. Byleth happens to be among my favorite characters in 3H(my avatar should tell you who the other is, lol) and I appreciate that there's an actual reason as to why he/she very rarely emotes.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

I wouldn't read too much into it

I can already imagine the faces on the Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude fans when they see that Japan would rather have the self-insert over the lord characters.
I mean, a lot of people put among their wants the characters they feel likely. Remember all those "Top 10 most wanted characters for Smash" with Solaire right after Dark Souls was announced for the Switch, even tho very few talk about him nowadays? Or even all the ones who "wanted" Simon Belmont, and then Richter showed up revealing that they are not really into Castlevania?

But again, who people feel likely isn't always who gets in. Remember when Chrom was the shoe in for Smash For, or how nobody predicted Terry Bogard before the leaks.

With that said any support for 3H is great and might help us get noticed.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I wouldn't read too much into it

I mean, a lot of people put among their wants the characters they feel likely. Remember all those "Top 10 most wanted characters for Smash" with Solaire right after Dark Souls was announced for the Switch, even tho very few talk about him nowadays? Or even all the ones who "wanted" Simon Belmont, and then Richter showed up revealing that they are not really into Castlevania?

But again, who people feel likely isn't always who gets in. Remember when Chrom was the shoe in for Smash For, or how nobody predicted Terry Bogard before the leaks.

With that said any support for 3H is great and might help us get noticed.
You're right yet I can't help but think of all the backlash Byleth would get considering his mixed to negative reception here in the west.

Top Bottom