• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth: Joins House Smash Brothers Social Thread

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Fighter 75: BYLETH Joins Smash House!

FC82C656-7E23-4C6C-BF6C-1E35150F681D.png
8D4192F1-FFA9-4BFB-B3CA-58A1CAAE1E48.png

Byleth is the main character and avatar of Fire Emblem: Three Houses and the 5th DLC Fighter of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. As an avatar, Byleth has both a male and female alternate costumes that can you can play as with their only differences being aesthetic.

In Three Houses, Byleth acts as a professor to one of three groups (or houses) that each represent the three different nations of Fodlan. The house leaders are Dimitri from the Blue Lions, Edelgard from the Black Eagles, and Claude from the Golden Deer, each being the future king, empress, and duke of their respective nations. Over time Byleth will gain their signature weapon the Sword of the Creator, a long sword that can extend into a sharp cutting whip, and will wield it’s power to it’s fullest potential with the help of the Mysterious Sothis in a tragic tale where friends turn into enemies.

In Smash, Byleth, along their signature weapon, also wields the signature weapons of the other house leaders; Areadhbar: a far reaching lance, Amyr: A powerful axe, and Failnaught: a powerful bow that shoots beam like energy. The Failnaught is assigned to Byleth’s neutral air and special move. Areadhbar is assigned to Byleth’s side aerials, side smash attacks, and special move. Amyr is assigned to Byleth’s down aerial, down smash attack, and down special. And Byleth’s Sword of the Creator is assigned to Byleth’s up aerial, up smash attack, up special, as well as the rest of Byleth’s grounded attacks.

Let’s just say, Byleth is not just your standard anime sword fighter.

For more information on Byleth:

To see the support OP, click here.

FOUNDER - RandomAce
2. Dannio
3. CardiganBoy
4. Pega-pony Princess
5. Sari
6. Smashing Ramen
7. Perikilator
8. Ryuvain
9. Nonno Umby
10. Sudz
11. chocolatejr9
12. Al-kīmiyā’
13. LoZ00
14. Agk0001
15. Diddy Kong
16. Idon
17. Impa4Smash
18. Calamitas
19. Spongeboob
20. Garteam
21. Tino
22. NurpNurp​

Last edited:

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
I can certainly see Byleth join the roster, and I can dig it. I support.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I can certainly see Byleth join the roster, and I can dig it. I support.
Added.

There hasn’t been much talk here. I guess with an unreleased game (and FE newcomer controversy) it’s expected.

Last edited:

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
Probably, but I’m sure we will get more insight on the game and hopefully Byleth this summer. Byleth surely has potential, and I can see it.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I'm currently neutral as to which character from Three Houses should make it in--reason being lack of data. But now that we know Byleth is the main character, I fancy he/she has the highest chance. If Byleth did make it in as playable, I could see Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude being incorporated in his/her Final Smash.

In terms of design, Byleth is mine favourite of the four. That said, in all honesty I'm hoping he does have a unique gimmick.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I like Castlevania, whips, Ivy from Soul Calibur, i think Byleth could be pretty unique, i can see this character being fast with long range, maybe some lag on ground moves for balance, and we don't know everything about him/her so here could be some trick up their sleeves, i also love the design and i think it could look amazing in a fast paced game like Smash Bros, there will be hate at just the idea of having Byleth in Smash but i don't care, i'm down.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I'm currently neutral as to which character from Three Houses should make it in--reason being lack of data. But now that we know Byleth is the main character, I fancy he/she has the highest chance. If Byleth did make it in as playable, I could see Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude being incorporated in his/her Final Smash.

In terms of design, Byleth is mine favourite of the four. That said, in all honesty I'm hoping he does have a unique gimmick.
Yeah, I’m stuck between Edelgard and Byleth. Edelgard can utilize axes, since that is one of her main weapons. However, Byleth can potentially have a whipsword and some time magic mechanic. It’s hard to choose between them honestly.

I like Castlevania, whips, Ivy from Soul Calibur, i think Byleth could be pretty unique, i can see this character being fast with long range, maybe some lag on ground moves for balance, and we don't know everything about him/her so here could be some trick up their sleeves, i also love the design and i think it could look amazing in a fast paced game like Smash Bros, there will be hate at just the idea of having Byleth in Smash but i don't care, i'm down.
I'd love to see Byleth in Smash. I support. :)
Added both of you, welcome to the class.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
While I would still much prefer Edelgard (and to be fair a lot of other FE characters like Celica), I've been warming up to the idea of Byleth being in Smash so I'll support.

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
We got gameplay screenshots of Three Houses thanks to Famitsu. We also got new character renders! I'm really digging the Byleth renders, especially the female one. What do you guys think?

http://instagr.am/p/Bwka3i9H3-d/

RandomAce

Smash Champion
We got gameplay screenshots of Three Houses thanks to Famitsu. We also got new character renders! I'm really digging the Byleth renders, especially the female one. What do you guys think?

Aside from the awesome looking renders of Byleth and the gang, look closer at their sword, see anything interesting?
96A5ED64-B901-463A-AA5F-E17C60407697.jpeg

The blade seems to be made of a different segments, with one spike on each one, very similar to the villain’s sword and how each segment forms a differently part of a whip.

We can more confidently say that we may have whipsword wielder here.

Last edited:

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
Aside from the awesome looking renders of Byleth and the gang, look closer at their sword, see anything interesting?
View attachment 211741
The blade seems to be made of a different segments, with one spike on each one, very similar to the villain’s sword and how each segment forms a differently part of a whip.

We can more confidently say that we may have whipsword wielder here.
I just noticed that, I kind of forgot that it was a kind of a whipsword, but it looks great, We're yet to see what this blade can really do, but when we do, I wonder how the sword could function in Smash, maybe like Simon/Richter's Holy Whip, but with different range?

UPDATE: New Information on the game provided by the Famitsu Column has been translated, and I found a video that goes through these new details, including official confirmation of a time rewind system! On a side note as well, its also been revealed the male and female protagonists have slightly different names, the male is still named Byleth, but the female is named Bylese, according to the translation. Let me know if you would like to see the Twitter thread about these new details.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
UPDATE: New Information on the game provided by the Famitsu Column has been translated, and I found a video that goes through these new details, including official confirmation of a time rewind system! On a side note as well, its also been revealed the male and female protagonists have slightly different names, the male is still named Byleth, but the female is named Bylese, according to the translation. Let me know if you would like to see the Twitter thread about these new details.

I’m gonna have to edit my op aren’t I? They didn’t change with the previous avatars.

Oh well.

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
I’m gonna have to edit my op aren’t I? They didn’t change with the previous avatars.

Oh well.
I think the name could change again in the future, but who knows? At least Bylese sounds cool.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Byleth's official artwork (could also add these to the OP):

I'm definitely gonna use male Byleth in Three Houses.

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
You guys may have already heard about the results of the latest Unofficial Smash Fighter Ballot here in the West, but things are certainly different over in Japan, as they had their own Fighter Ballot earlier today, and to my surprise, Byleth made it to the number 13 position, nothing really major, but I thought it was something worth sharing, especially since this shows the support for Byleth is growing. Slowly, but steadily.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
You guys may have already heard about the results of the latest Unofficial Smash Fighter Ballot here in the West, but things are certainly different over in Japan, as they had their own Fighter Ballot earlier today, and to my surprise, Byleth made it to the number 13 position, nothing really major, but I thought it was something worth sharing, especially since this shows the support for Byleth is growing. Slowly, but steadily.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Although it doesn’t mean much, seeing Byleth having that many votes is pretty interesting and shows that Byleth has his/her fans.

Byleth's official artwork (could also add these to the OP):

I'm definitely gonna use male Byleth in Three Houses.
Keeping this for the future, I’m hoping we get some transparent background versions of these.

Looks like the Male version may be the more popular one, as a lot of people are saying that the Female design doesn’t work as well. I like the mock arts that have Bylese wear something similar to Byleth.

Stumbled upon this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPA3m4F_c58

Even if we don't get a Fire Emblem: Three Houses character in Smash, I'm confident we'll see some of them in Fire Emblem Heroes.
I expected that. I don’t play FE Heroes so there isn’t much I have to say.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Sign me up for support!

The whipsword and time reverse mechanics alone has me really excited with what they could bring to the table!

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So with E3 coming soon for Nintendo, anything you guys are hoping they could show for Three Houses?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
4B54536E-2464-4E61-A3EA-D83DE445A4C8.jpeg

WHIPPPPSWOOOORD!

I see a lot of move set potential with this alone, and we got another look at Byleth’s time mechanic too! Happy that it’s confirmed.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So with Three Houses being at today’s treehouse, we got to see Byleth’s promoted outfit.

Male Byleth’s isn’t that bad, but Female Byleth’s is kinda plain looking from the gameplay showcase of her in a map, at least for me.

I find it weird that the promoted outfits of Byleth are the same for both genders but the default isn’t. Although, Female Byleth’s design is starting to grow on me.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So he's coming to Heroes at the end of this month.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So he's coming to Heroes at the end of this month.

Not surprised. Someone from Three Houses was bound to show up at some point, and the other house leaders and gender of Byleth will probably show up later too.

Gotta say, I like Byleth’s artwork. Hoping we get a full image of that soon.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Now that we have more info, I'd say Byleth stands the best chance of making it in over Edelgard. A whipsword definitely has more moveset potential than a simple axe.

I must admit, I had mine doubts at first, but it looks like this is going to be one of the best Fire Emblems yet. I'm glad they did something new instead of sticking with the status quo. I sincerely look forward to this game's release.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So with Three Houses out and looking very good to boot, it’s time for me to start updating the op where it needs to. I’ll have to go through the game first, so updating could take about a couple of days to even a week depending on my schedule.
————————————

On another note, I’m sure some of you have heard about the recent incidents regarding Byleth’s Voice Actor. What are your thoughts on how it could affect Smash?

Last edited:

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
So with Three Houses out and looking very good to boot, it’s time for me to start updating the op where it needs to. I’ll have to go through the game first, so updating could take about a couple of days to even a week depending on my schedule.
————————————

On another note, I’m sure some of you have heard about the recent incidents regarding Byleth’s Voice Actor. What are your thoughts on how it could affect Smash?
I don’t think not much needs to be changed regarding the voice actor, I’m sure that the team could work it out just fine with the new actor. On a side note, I don’t think I’ll be getting Three Houses until later on. I still have Fates: Birthright to finish first.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
————————————

Seeing as how quickly they were to replace him in Heroes (about a week after the allegations came out), I don't think it'll have any affect on his Smash chances. Smash is made in Japan so they probably don't pay that much attention to English VA drama anyway.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I've finished Black Eagles route, so I can help update the thread with info. I'd definitely would like to see Byleth in Smash.

Anyway......

Byleth's time manipulation move is called Dragon's Pulse. It allows Byleth to reverse time back to any turn in the current battle. It can be used several times, up to around 10 I think, but it takes some time to recharge.

Byleth's whipsword is called the Sword of the Creator at first, but it later gets updated to something else. I forgot the name of it, and I can't go back because the game locks your completed game save to allow you to play New Game+.

Byleth also gets a class promotion called the Enlightened One, which allows him to use magic. Of course, he could already use magic in his base commoner class, but still.

Oh yeah, Byleth also has the Crest of Flames, which heals him a bit when it activates, among other things.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I've finished Black Eagles route, so I can help update the thread with info. I'd definitely would like to see Byleth in Smash.

Anyway......

Byleth's time manipulation move is called Dragon's Pulse. It allows Byleth to reverse time back to any turn in the current battle. It can be used several times, up to around 10 I think, but it takes some time to recharge.

Byleth's whipsword is called the Sword of the Creator at first, but it later gets updated to something else. I forgot the name of it, and I can't go back because the game locks your completed game save to allow you to play New Game+.

Byleth also gets a class promotion called the Enlightened One, which allows him to use magic. Of course, he could already use magic in his base commoner class, but still.

Oh yeah, Byleth also has the Crest of Flames, which heals him a bit when it activates, among other things.
Byleth’s Time Manipulation is actually called ‘Divine Pulse’.

Anyways, Byleth really has a lot of interesting stuff, I’m not finished viewing through Three Houses yet, so I’m fairly green, but I’ll keep these in mind when going through. A shame I don’t have a switch yet, but hey at least we have the other two houses to play through if I do get my hands on Three Houses some day.

By the way, Three Houses really is looking to be the most successful FE game to date, considering it’s innovations. I feel with Three Houses’ success and Byleth’s move set potential, Sakurai may be willing to go all in and add Byleth.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Byleth’s Time Manipulation is actually called ‘Divine Pulse’.

Anyways, Byleth really has a lot of interesting stuff, I’m not finished viewing through Three Houses yet, so I’m fairly green, but I’ll keep these in mind when going through. A shame I don’t have a switch yet, but hey at least we have the other two houses to play through if I do get my hands on Three Houses some day.

By the way, Three Houses really is looking to be the most successful FE game to date, considering it’s innovations. I feel with Three Houses’ success and Byleth’s move set potential, Sakurai may be willing to go all in and add Byleth.
Oh right. I don't know why I got that wrong. My memory's a little foggy.

I really hope that's the case though, I've come to like Byleth as a character, so them being in Smash would be my dream.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I think it would be interesting if Byleth has an Assist Mechanic that works similarly like Captain Ginyus in Fighterz, each assist also has a level up mechanic as well, since Three Houses is quite about improving the students you have in your army.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
I have come here to confess something. Three houses was very boring looking to me at first. Being a teacher doesn't exactly sound exciting at all.

After playing though, my feelings were played with in a good way. The story is actually great now. Didn't think I would actually care about most characters.

Byleth surpassed Robin and Corrin in every way, personality, design, and story plot. I also actually love both gender designs this time around too.

I have to give support where it's due, literally making me lose sleep playing when I have work to do.

Chain sword, time powers, and the best magic in the series. Count me in. Could we also see Sothis (my other favorite) as a part of the final smash perhaps?

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I have an idea for him that's on the ambitious side, but if Hero of all characters happened then this might be possible.

When choosing colors, you also choose one of the three houses. This has no gameplay effect, but the 8 students from it will help you in battle as part of your special moves.

Normals: His normals all revolve around his sword of the creator. jab, tilts, and some aerials are non extended, but smashes and some aerials use the whip mode. Like belmonts, this can be used to tether recover, which is important because his up B can't always be used to recover.

Neutral B: Reason. You cycle through a menu of 3 different spells, each of which is casted by a different member of your house, which will appear next to you upon selection and cast it. Regardless of house choice it is always the same 3 spells. Fire (Byleth himself) sends out a projectile which moves straight and fairly fast. Luna (Hubert/Annette/Lysithea) appears a set distance before you, a la explosive flame, and has a slight delay, but breaks shields and spikes. Rescue (Linhardt/Mercedes/Marianne) puts one the caster of the spell on a nearby piece of stable ground and teleports you to it (your opponent can predict where you will be teleported to since you yourself don't have control). Whenever you use a spell a certain number of times, it cannot be used again until you lose a stock.

Side B: Curved shot. A reticle appears in front of you which you can move around. When you release it, Bernadetta/Ashe/Claude fires an arrow from the background of the stage to that specific point. Works similarly to din's fire but with more precise control. You cannot, however, fire this close to you, as the reticle starts a distance from you and cannot be moved closer.

Up B: Pegasus. Petra/Ingrid/Leonie swoops in on a pegasus knight which you may fly for a short period of time. You have free movement throughout the air and you may use aerial attacks. After the time period is off or you willingly jump off, you may continue to act in the air but may not use your up B again until you hit the ground. The pegasus can get hit, however, and if it takes enough damage you will automatically dismout and you cannot use the pegasus again for another 20 or so seconds. Arrows, such as from Link's neutral B or from Byleth's own side B, automatically defeat the pegasus in one hit.

Down B: Disturbance. The 4 members of your house not in your other specials all appear beside you and then charge forward, attacking all enemies they come across. This deals immense damage to shields. They are led by Edelgard/Dimitri/Hilda.

He has 2 final smashes.

1. Ruptured heaven. He swings the sword of the creator at someone. If it hits, then he goes into a cinematic where he uses the ruptured heaven combat art, sending them flying after.

2. Divine Pulse. If he is hurt while he has the final smash available, if you are quick, you may press b to turn back time 3 seconds. All other players inputs cannot be changed and are predetermined: they will act exactly as they did prior. You, however, may change what you did in those 3 seconds, and that includes using Ruptured Heaven so long as you don't wait too long after turning back time to do so.

Overall he'd be a sort of strategic zoner character, between his projectile specials and his sword whip, who has lots of recovery options, but all of them have counterplay options that can render them dangerous for Byleth.

Top Bottom