• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Buy used Wii U without Gamepad - still play Sm4sh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tronny

Smash Rookie
Hi,

I am a huge SSB fan and considering to buy a Wii U just for the purpose of playing SSB4
(as many do i guess). I saw some used consoles without any other equipment, that means
no cables and especially no gamepad, that are considerably cheaper than buying a new pack
with an extra game I don´t need.

I´ve googled wether one can use the Wii U without the gamepad, but I didn´t find clear
answers to this. I´d appretiate any input further input:
  • Can I start and play SSB4 just with a gamecube controller and the adapter? If not,can I start it with a Wii Remote and then play with the GC-controller?
  • Can i perform updates without a gamepad? I´ve read somewhere this might not be possible.
Thanks!

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I think you can play Smash without it, but overall you will need a gamepad to really do anything else.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Navigating the Wii U menus and updates only requires wiimote/pro controller.

When the Wii U launched, you couldn't use the Eshop without the gamepad, but you can use wiimotes on it now.

Things that won't work for you are internet browser, stage builder and other gamepad heavy or exclusive things.

You might regret not having the gamepad down the line though. They are EXPENSIVE separately, so unless you find a Wii U for 100$, you are missing out.

Wii U with gamepad can be easily gotten for about 200 used or new.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Navigating the Wii U menus and updates only requires wiimote/pro controller.

When the Wii U launched, you couldn't use the Eshop without the gamepad, but you can use wiimotes on it now.

Things that won't work for you are internet browser, stage builder and other gamepad heavy or exclusive things.

You might regret not having the gamepad down the line though. They are EXPENSIVE separately, so unless you find a Wii U for 100$, you are missing out.

Wii U with gamepad can be easily gotten for about 200 used or new.
Yeah, this about sums it up perfectly.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
You cannot access the Wii U settings without the GamePad. That makes it essential.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
^Yikes, didn't even think about initial setup.

Theoretically, all you need is a friend with a Wii U gamepad to help you set up your internet and output settings once and you should be fine to play Smash.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
Honestly, no matter how cheap it is, you're going to want a gamepad. If it's cheap enough that buying a gamepad separate will still be a good deal, then okay, go for it. But GET A GAMEPAD. It's pretty much essential. Even in the recent updates that allow for more use of the pro controller and wiimotes, you'll need a gamepad to pair them. So if one of them ever needs paired again for any reason or you get a new controller, you'll need to track a gamepad down to borrow, sync the gamepad to your system, and then sync your other controller. If you don't get one I imagine you'll just end up wishing you did. I can't imagine owning a Wii U without a gamepad being anything other than a maddeningly frustrating and exhausting experience.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
After I sold my gamepad, I can confirm that you can sync pro controllers to the system without it and navigate the home menu.

The main thing is connecting online because that's in the options menu. Also no amiibos if you're into that sort of thing.

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
You would be missing out on a lot. But an easy fix would be to go to a tournament and ask the TO to set up your Wii U there so it could update and ect.

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
Definitely get the Gamepad. Wii U can be used for more than Smash. If you ever want to watch Amazon video or Netflix you will be SOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom