• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Button Schemes: How do YOU button mash?

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Okay, so I've seen many people post their favorite controller schemes. I thought it would be a good idea to compile all of our controller schemes into one thread, so that if someone comes looking for ideas, he can find them right here. Also, a quick explanation as to why you feel the scheme works for you would be very insightful. I'll post all new layouts in the OP. If you see you're layout in the OP already, please feel free to add why you like that certain layout. If you main someone else besides Link, again, please feel free to post. I myself plan on experimenting with all the layouts posted, and I'll give feedback on them.
This is my first time making an actual thread here, so please bear with me. I'll fancy it up later.

I guess I'll start first!
My layout is the default layout, except I have Rumble Off, Tap Jump On, and the Cstick set to attack. Why? Because I just started playing, and I'm still figuring out controller layouts.

@ Elessar Elessar
Tap Jump-Off
Rumble-Off
:GCA:-Attack
:GCB:-Jump
:GCY:-Special
:GCX:-Grab
:GCLT:-Shield
:GCRT:-Attack
:GCZ:-Grab
:GCCN:-Attack

@ link7 link7
Tap Jump-Off (changed from "On" to make bomb sliding inputs possible)
Rumble-Off
Everything else is default

Reasons:
I'm still new to the GC controller set up itself. Still experimenting with other layouts, but haven't changed anything significant except the tap jump option.

@ Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive
Tap Jump-Off
Rumble-?
:GCZ: -Jump
:GCX:-Grab
:GCY:-Grab
Everything else is default

Reasons:
The reasons for this are fairly straight forward.
-For the Z button being changed to jump, many of the faster inputs in smash require a jump button input e.g. jump instant aerial (with or without using the c-stick), jump and instant cancel of that jump with a bomb throw (with or without the use of the c-stick), jump and instantly cancel it with an Up-B or U-smash (e.g. OoS), things like tether cancelling or dropping from a ledge to double jump and then doing an action, or simply for easy buffered uses of anything e.g airdoge or specials right after a jump. Being able to freely use the c-stick instantly with ease after a jump input is probably the biggest factor here.
-Then obviously either X or Y needed to be a grab button, and as it turns out I use both as it suits me, but there is room for improvement here as I will go into shortly. The X I tend to use for Zairs and tethers out of habit, and the Y I use for bombslides.
-C-stick set to attack is for soft throw bombs. I actually keep this on for other characters too just so I am in the habit of knowing that I must manually input e.g. U-smash (OoS etc).

Now as for the possible improvement that I mentioned, you will recall that in the metagame thread I spoke of a control scheme to make IZAC's easier that I've been considering using. The way to do this (assuming the above controls) would be to leave Y as grab and change X to attack. IZAC's are tough enough for us now that we have to time the z-drop perfectly to avoid the Zair, but the next bit can at least be made much easier. One big mistake that a lot of people make when trying to perform an IZAC is they will continue to hold the grab button as they are trying to instantly use an aerial to catch the bomb, and this results in a Zair which can often be mistaken for a failed instant z-drop. So the aim for the control scheme was to make it so you could do the two inputs very quickly, but at the same time make it so you are forced to let go of the grab button before you hit the attack button, and that's where the control scheme comes in. If you roll or slide your thumb from the Y over to X, the Y will be released in time necessarily because of the space between the buttons. To test that you're doing it right, hold Y (grab) until you shield, and then slide your thumb over to the X (attack) button. If you do nothing or Jab, then you were successful; if you grab, then consider adjusting your thumb sliding method.

Will edit this and pretty it up more later.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
default with Y to grab.
btw twirling the control stick around does exactly the same thing as button mashing, minus controller damage.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Tap jump off
Rumble off
A - attack
B - jump
Y - special
X - grab
L - shield
R - attack
Z - grab
C stick - attack (with Link, smash for everyone else).

I am missing one jump button which I had on the Wii U pro, but it had to be sacrificed during the gcc transition.

Zerker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexZerker
Pro Controller
Tap Off
Rumble Off
A - attack
B - special
Y - jump
X - jump
L - jump
ZL - shield
R - grab
ZR - jump
Z - grab
C stick - attack

when I get a GC adapter, I'll use...

GC
tap off
rumble off
A - attack
B - special
Y - jump
X - jump
L - shield
R - jump
Z - grab
C stick - attack

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
A-Attack
B-Special
X-Jump
Y-Grab (makes zair bomb drop easier)
L-Jump (for ATs)
R-Shield
Z-Grab
C stick-Attack
D-pad up & side- Attack
tap jump off

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
GC:
Everything is default except,
Tap jump = off
Z = Jump
X and Y = Grab
C-stick = set to attack.

The reasons for this are fairly straight forward.
-For the Z button being changed to jump, many of the faster inputs in smash require a jump button input e.g. jump instant aerial (with or without using the c-stick), jump and instant cancel of that jump with a bomb throw (with or without the use of the c-stick), jump and instantly cancel it with an Up-B or U-smash (e.g. OoS), things like tether cancelling or dropping from a ledge to double jump and then doing an action, or simply for easy buffered uses of anything e.g airdoge or specials right after a jump. Being able to freely use the c-stick instantly with ease after a jump input is probably the biggest factor here.
-Then obviously either X or Y needed to be a grab button, and as it turns out I use both as it suits me, but there is room for improvement here as I will go into shortly. The X I tend to use for Zairs and tethers out of habit, and the Y I use for bombslides.
-C-stick set to attack is for soft throw bombs. I actually keep this on for other characters too just so I am in the habit of knowing that I must manually input e.g. U-smash (OoS etc).

Now as for the possible improvement that I mentioned, you will recall that in the metagame thread I spoke of a control scheme to make IZAC's easier that I've been considering using. The way to do this (assuming the above controls) would be to leave Y as grab and change X to attack. IZAC's are tough enough for us now that we have to time the z-drop perfectly to avoid the Zair, but the next bit can at least be made much easier. One big mistake that a lot of people make when trying to perform an IZAC is they will continue to hold the grab button as they are trying to instantly use an aerial to catch the bomb, and this results in a Zair which can often be mistaken for a failed instant z-drop. So the aim for the control scheme was to make it so you could do the two inputs very quickly, but at the same time make it so you are forced to let go of the grab button before you hit the attack button, and that's where the control scheme comes in. If you roll or slide your thumb from the Y over to X, the Y will be released in time necessarily because of the space between the buttons. To test that you're doing it right, hold Y (grab) until you shield, and then slide your thumb over to the X (attack) button. If you do nothing or Jab, then you were successful; if you grab, then consider adjusting your thumb sliding method.

ronniem3

Smash Rookie
Wii U Pro controller and 3DS:

Default except - Tap Jump off, X is grab.

I probably should change this because I often try to jump with Y and accidentally press X on the 3DS. I might give Z jump with X and Y as grab a try next.

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
Tap jump off
A+B smash on
rumble during charge off

L - attack
R - jump
ZR - grab
ZL - shield
X - special
Y - special
A - special
B - special
C-stick - Attack

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
GC, default except:
A - Jump
X - Attack
L - Jump
C-stick - Attack
Down D-pad - Grab

Tap Jump Off
Rumble Off

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I use the claw style, meaning I hold the controller with my thumb resting on Cstick/B button and my index finger sideways on Y (I press it with the first knuckle on my finger) and my middle finger on R. This basically gives me two fingers on my right hand to press buttons as well as a finger on the shoulder button. And yes, I've been holding the controller this way since 2000 when Smash 64 came out, so shut up :awesome:

Tap jump off
A+B Smash on (used for bombsliding and to make pivot smashes easier with c-stick set to attack)
GCC Defaults except:
Y - jump
X - grab
Cstick - Attack (used to use smash but changed it up a while ago)
R - attack (was for bombsmashing but I guess I don't need to any more lol)
Z - attack

Last edited:

RancidLeaf

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlyLeaf
Much like @ Huggles828 Huggles828 , I claw, the main difference being I rest my index on X instead of Y.

GC controller
Tap jump off
Rumble off
A+B smash off
Everything default

When I'm mashing out of a grab (or anything else that needs mashing) I just slide my index finger over the face buttons while moving the c-stick in a circular motion.

FierceGaiety

Smash Cadet
GC Controller:
Rumble Off
Tap Jump Off
A-stick
R Jump

I A-stick to tilt more consistently and to soft bomb throw and trying to get used to R jumping because I heard it makes bombsliding easier

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Classic Controller Pro

A - Jump
X - Jump
Y - Special
B - Attack
LZ - Shield
RZ - Attack
L - Jump
R - Grab
C-Stick - Smash

I devised this setup to emulate the default GCC that I had used for years. This was during the Brawl era when the only Wii I could play on regularly had no GCC ports. I soon found that I was no longer cramping in my left hand due to the symmetrical grip, could better roll from jump to aerial due to the symmetrical layout of the top buttons, and discovered I had an extra button that I ended up using for jump. I originally just used it to better time Zair, but I've been experimenting quite a bit with using it in conjunction with C-stick for the speed of sliding/rolling from a jump button to attack while having better momentum control with the left stick. Works wonders with Ganon's terrible mobility, but I've also found it to aid Link quite a bit as well, especially in ledge-trumping those highrisers. I usually can't connect with Bair but I can hit pretty consistently with Uair now.

Edit: And of course, tap jump is off.

Last edited:

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Gamecube Controller

Tap jump off
Rumble on
A - Attack
B - Special
X - Grab
Y - Jump
Z - Grab
R - Jump
L - Shield
C stick - Attack

Armdan

Smash Rookie
I main link, and I recently started using bidou, but reading al the AT's link has it seems its not the best option (due to all the A-stick requiring techninques), what do you guys think?
Also, my second main is C. falcon, and bidou looks great on him, and I only have the gamepad and wiimote + nunchuck available

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
I main link, and I recently started using bidou, but reading al the AT's link has it seems its not the best option (due to all the A-stick requiring techninques), what do you guys think?
Also, my second main is C. falcon, and bidou looks great on him, and I only have the gamepad and wiimote + nunchuck available
Bidou isn't beneficial for Link. He loses Bombsliding and soft throws; both of which are very important techs. Sure, he gets some movement options, but the cost is greater than the payoff.

Now, I'm no Falcon main, but having Bidou seems better than other control schemes, however, mastering Bidou is something that is extremely hard to do if you use it alongside another control scheme.

That being said, if you are intent on learning Bidou, drop Link. He will ultimately slow your learning, and of course become worse with it, too.

Last thing, I urge you to get a GameCube Controller or Pro Controller, not only will this help your Bidou (Should you decide to use it), but it has multiple advantages over the Nuncuck. Check this video for more on that: https://youtu.be/cGWCzuUMnxM

Armdan

Smash Rookie
Bidou isn't beneficial for Link. He loses Bombsliding and soft throws; both of which are very important techs. Sure, he gets some movement options, but the cost is greater than the payoff.

Now, I'm no Falcon main, but having Bidou seems better than other control schemes, however, mastering Bidou is something that is extremely hard to do if you use it alongside another control scheme.

That being said, if you are intent on learning Bidou, drop Link. He will ultimately slow your learning, and of course become worse with it, too.

Last thing, I urge you to get a GameCube Controller or Pro Controller, not only will this help your Bidou (Should you decide to use it), but it has multiple advantages over the Nuncuck. Check this video for more on that: https://youtu.be/cGWCzuUMnxM
thanks a lot, I only use the gamepad, not the nunchuk, but its what i have

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
Pro Controller

A: attack
B: special
X/Y: Jump
C stick set to Attack
ZR/R grab
ZL Jump/Attack/Special (It changes depending on what Tech I need to pull for that given day or week)
Tap Jump is off but Rumble is on since I can't see well so it helps me with seeing.
Attack + Special = Smash set to on (Really helps out with Bombslides and on finicky controllers it negates a lot of issues with directional smashes.

GCN Controller

A: Attack
B: Special
X: Grab/Attack/Special(still in flux)
Y:Jump
C stick: Attack
Z Jump/Special
R: Grab
L: Shield
Tap Jump Off
Rumble On
Attack + Special On

My setup is geared almost entirely toward rapid response and retaliation. As well as easing input strain on my hands when preforming tech.

A lot of this is also set up for Greninja and Shiek play so take from that what you will.

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
thanks a lot, I only use the gamepad, not the nunchuk, but its what i have
Alright, that's fine. I was mentioning that because gamepads are generally banned from tournaments. This is because only one gamepad can be synced to a Wii U. Should two players who use the gamepad face off, only one would be able to use it. Bear this in mind if you attend an event.

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
Pro Controller:

A - Attack
B - Special
X - Grab
ZR - Shield
ZL - Jump
C-stick - Smash
Tap jump - Off

Of course this layout isn't the most professional but it is certainly very comfortable. X as a grab is great because it's within thumb's distance of using with the A button and I'm a pretty big user of some of the grab resets Link can do with his Jab and Up Tilt. Tap jump off of course because Up Tilt is way too useful to not have on the spot (among plenty of other reasons like techs that couldn't be done with it on). I made ZL my jump button because it's also very comfortable, being a trigger button and all. Although I admit when I had first switched to it I kept getting shielding and jumping mixed up. Lol.

Top Bottom