• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Burn With Passion!! -- Incineroar General Discussion (Formerly the Support Thread)

D

Deleted member

Have you all heard about the Argentine "Backbreaker theory"? It's an incredibly dumb idea someone came up with, but I just wanted to know if everyone else here felt the same way. If you aren't aware of what it is, i'll explain it.
That stupid thing where "K. Rool's Up Throw does this maneuver so Incineroar can't be in the game"?

Heard it. Refrained from saying anything about it because it would be nothing but chewing out the completely braindead idiots that came up with it.

KingTorra

Smash Cadet
That stupid thing where "K. Rool's Up Throw does this maneuver so Incineroar can't be in the game"?

Heard it. Refrained from saying anything about it because it would be nothing but chewing out the completely braindead idiots that came up with it.
Alright good, needed to be sure nobody actually thinks it had weight.

SmashNStache

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that one's completely ridiculous. One move on one character doesn't deconfirm another character. Besides, what's stopping Incineroar from having a different grab move? It doesn't have to be a backbreaker.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Have you all heard about the Argentine "Backbreaker theory"? It's an incredibly dumb idea someone came up with, but I just wanted to know if everyone else here felt the same way. If you aren't aware of what it is, i'll explain it.
Mario has fireballs, so Luigi will definitely be cut.
King Dedede uses a hammer, so Ice Climbers will never come back.
Then again, Dedede himself probably won't be there since Kirby can inhale too.
Fox uses a Blaster, so Falco and Wolf have zero chance.
Marth has a counter, so expect everyone else with a counter to not return.

There are so many ways to show how stupid that is based on already confirmed content that it's not even funny.

Heck, even without those example, the very idea of a single move disproving another character is legitimately insane, especially with clones Echo Fighters having such a prominent importance in pre-release marketing. If people copying entire movesets are such a big deal, why would Incineroar have zero chance in Smash because of a single one of K. Rool's moves?

If you ask me, I'd say whoever came up with it is just an Incineroar hater desperately fishing for ways to "disprove" the heel from being in Smash, and that hater seemed willing to take anything, no matter how nonsensical it is.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Kinda reminds me of the some stuff people used to say about Little Mac before he got in.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
It's a really dumb theory. If we took out every character who shares a move or has a smilier move the roster would be something like this.
Mario
DK
Link
Samus
Kirby
Yoshi
Fox
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Zelda
Mewtwo
Mr Game and Watch
Olimar
ROB
Sonic
Pac-Man

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Goodness the wait continues! I was really hoping this week we'd get something. I'd even take a couple ATs/Pokeball to help narrow the selections down!!!

I gave our wrestler tiger some love tonight.

nintendo tug of war.png
Chairs2t.png

SmashNStache

Smash Cadet
Yeah, this wait's making me anxious. The way I'm seeing it though, if Incineroar gets in it'll make the wait worth it!

RandysRage

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere between the North and South Poles
Yeah, this wait's making me anxious. The way I'm seeing it though, if Incineroar gets in it'll make the wait worth it!
It's already worth the wait for me and then some.

My girl Rosie, all past characters returning and muckfothering RIDLEY making it in at long last are all making this game 100/10 for me.

Incineroar making the cut would just be the sweet red/black cherry on top of an already enormous and delicious cake.

Last edited:

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
Hey dudes and chicks, just wanted to drop some support from the Lycanroc thread :). While Lycanroc is my most wanted character, I'd absolutely love to see Incineroar. Based on being an antagonistic heel-like wrestler, I really feel like they could not only give him a great moveset, I also feel like they could make him one of the more expressive fighters on the roster, leading to some truly funny and comical expressions through his moves. taunts, victory poses, etc.

This is really something I'm sure you don't need to hear from me and I'm sure you already do, but ignore the haters. It's truly upsetting how people can act towards other characters they may not like or to other users who support said character. No thread or supporters should have to go through things like that over characters they love and support. I applaud you guys for continuing to go headstrong and support Fire Kitty Buff Mask, even with the unfortunate hate your character is getting. Come the next direct/announcement, I'll be rooting for you guys and Incineroar to make his Smashing Entrance into Smash Bros. Ultimate. Keep going strong, guys and good luck! :)

SmashNStache

Smash Cadet
Hey dudes and chicks, just wanted to drop some support from the Lycanroc thread :). While Lycanroc is my most wanted character, I'd absolutely love to see Incineroar. Based on being an antagonistic heel-like wrestler, I really feel like they could not only give him a great moveset, I also feel like they could make him one of the more expressive fighters on the roster, leading to some truly funny and comical expressions through his moves. taunts, victory poses, etc.

This is really something I'm sure you don't need to hear from me and I'm sure you already do, but ignore the haters. It's truly upsetting how people can act towards other characters they may not like or to other users who support said character. No thread or supporters should have to go through things like that over characters they love and support. I applaud you guys for continuing to go headstrong and support Fire Kitty Buff Mask, even with the unfortunate hate your character is getting. Come the next direct/announcement, I'll be rooting for you guys and Incineroar to make his Smashing Entrance into Smash Bros. Ultimate. Keep going strong, guys and good luck! :)
Your words of support are way more appreciated than you think, at least to me it is! I've been and seen places where just liking Incineroar overall will get you practically eaten alive. Honestly, compared to them, Smashboards (and for the most part, the Lycanroc thread) have been much, much less harrowing. So trust me, I really appreciate this.

And hey, while Incineroar's my number one, I will absolutely welcome Lycanroc with open arms if he gets in.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Just checking in, and want to speak up about something.

I feel partially responsible for this.

I was talking with another speculator, who at the time, felt that Incineroar may not be chosen if his moves felt too similar to other characters. When I saw King K. Rool's trailer, I noticed his down-throw seemed similar to a that backbreaker pose from Incineroar's concept art. So, I made a quick image comparing the two, and posted it asking for opinions.

Never believed it was anything substantial, myself.

chewing out the completely braindead idiots that came up with it.
hater desperately fishing for ways to "disprove" the heel from being in Smash, and that hater seemed willing to take anything, no matter how nonsensical it is.
Cool it with the insults.

The comparison was made as a talking point, not to kickstart a theory against Incineroar. That doesn't make myself, or those who gave opinions about it, braindead, idiots, desperate, nonsensical, or haters.

Now I'm not aware if anyone if particular truly believes it holds any weight, but if someone actually took the idea as a theory and ran with it, despite the logic against it, who cares? I've seen worse theories with speculation. I'll agree that the "theory" itself is bad, but talking down on others just comes across as snide and unnecessary.

Hell, even if it did have credence to it, there's tons of other wrestling moves that could be used for down-throw. Although one I'd like to see in particular doesn't stem from wrestling, but may fit the idea of Incineroar being an 'over-the-top' character:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
A lariat should totally be a dash attack.

(obviously the 'gief lariat is a special!)

TokuDoku

Smash Rookie
My most wanted wrestling move for Incin has to be the Tiger Spin.

Its just so cool.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Inciny's pretty cute this episode.

I love how expresive and just how huge Incineroar appears here. A lot larger than his in-game counterpart.

Wonder how large he'd be in-game? Think he'd be around Bowser's height? Maybe Donkey Kong's or Mewtwo's?

D

Deleted member

Argentine Backbreaker theory huh? Ah doubt it means anything no worries.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I love how expresive and just how huge Incineroar appears here. A lot larger than his in-game counterpart.

Wonder how large he'd be in-game? Think he'd be around Bowser's height? Maybe Donkey Kong's or Mewtwo's?
Mewtwo or Ganon height is where I'm expecting personally. Noticeably tall but not a huge big body character like Bowser and Ridley.

D

Deleted member

Two of the most vocal anti-Incineroars have Sceptile in their names.

....really makes you think....

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
More than the Pokemon I think it's because he is perceived, due to Vergeben, as the most probable newcomer and people who prefer other Pokemon (or even other characters outside the franchise) lash against him.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I think that what is hated about Incineroar is what he represents: Vergeben being right (means that Ken and Incineroar are in the game while many fan favorites are not), he pretty much killed many Decidueye's supporters hope, one less spot for a unique newcomer.

They hate what he represents more than what he actually is. At least, that's what I think.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Question; why is this Pokemon so hated?
Aside from the aforementioned issues regarding leaks, a lot of people hate Incineroar on the basis of taking a cute quadruped kitty and turning it into what many perceive as yet another generic bipedal "Fighting' Fire type, even if it doesn't have the Fighting type itself.

D

Deleted member

If the rumour is true, and Ken and Incineroar, are two of the final characters. I'm guessing people are upset cause it's not fan favourite's like Isaac, Even though there is the whole Square Enix rep thing, and DLC if possible. Could include the golden boy.

They are probably upset. Thinking ugh a tiger wrestler? And an echo why Sakurai?

Honestly I'd be fine with both and again want Incineroar. The hate does not bug me. But we will see what happens.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Question; why is this Pokemon so hated?
Its hated because people had this stupid expectation of it being a quadruped. When it was first leaked for Sun and Moon people saw Litten become Bipedal and thought it was going to be another Fire/Fighting type also, which didnt help. Then people started nitpicking the design, too thin wrists for example. Overall it just became bandwagon hate. The starter wars for Gen7 was pretty bad, it's gotten better now that Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee are coming out, because most of the toxic fanbase have been hating on that now instead. Incineroar has a lot of followers now and not as hated as he once was. He has this great effect to win people over with how animated and fun he is. Not to mention, being the #1 Pokemon in competitive play has also helped people like him too

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I'll ask here because if I ask on the thread I'm supposed to ask, I'll mosk likely get jack for answer, what do people see in Decidueye as appealling? As much as I try, I just can't see anything interesting in it.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I'll ask here because if I ask on the thread I'm supposed to ask, I'll mosk likely get jack for answer, what do people see in Decidueye as appealling? As much as I try, I just can't see anything interesting in it.
I have the same question about this as well.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think people like arrows and the idea of a character that uses projectiles to zone. He also has a Robin Hood aesthetic and people like owls. Combine with the earlier explained anti-Incineroar bias and how popular Rowlet was and you have a lot of people who jump on the Decidueye train. His appearance in Pokken also helped, though I feel a lot of his supporters ignore the fact that those mechanics wouldn't work in Smash well at all.

It's funny; do people not remember how much everyone hated the Popplio line when the designs first leaked? It's like people were hellbent on hating all the Gen 7 starters until Decidueye's fans got on board. It's all ridiculous to me. I never understood the "fire/fighting" malarkey. Incineroar is cool. I guess I'm not a big enough Pokemon person to understand the type stuff.

If Smash gets a bird Pokemon it should be Hawlucha don't @ me

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Decidueye, to me, is an alright Pokemon. I like both of them.
But how is it better than the fire/dark Pokemon aside from people not liking the said Pokemon?

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Decidueye, to me, is an alright Pokemon. I like both of them.
But how is it better than the fire/dark Pokemon aside from people not liking the said Pokemon?
People like Decidueye's design more(at least in the west, in Japan it's actually the least popular), combine that with the fact that Litten's final evolution isn't what some Pokemon fans have wanted for a while now(a quadruped final stage fire starter) and you got a recipe for a hate bandwagon for Incineroar.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
-Owl. Owls are cool and cute. Double whammy.
-Robin Hood archer. Has a nice sense of debonair charm, plus archery is pretty neat. Certainly not something you see often in Pokemon.
-Followup to that, the evolutionary line has some nice Robin Hood progression, going from a snobby noble to something more rogue and mysterious.
-Wings that double as both an awesome cloak and as a bow. Props to the designers for making this look natural.
-Ghost type. Ghosts are cool. Ghost starters are cooler.
-He looks like he's wearing glasses.
-That shiny is gorgeous.

Just a few appealing factors off the top of my head. Granted, appeal is largely subjective, so you could list 100 reasons why someone like something and it still won't appeal to everyone.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
There is a lot of reasons to like it!
But a lot of people are rather huge jerks about how their most wanted isn't in the game, and just being unlikable about it?

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
-Owl. Owls are cool and cute. Double whammy.
-Robin Hood archer. Has a nice sense of debonair charm, plus archery is pretty neat. Certainly not something you see often in Pokemon.
-Followup to that, the evolutionary line has some nice Robin Hood progression, going from a snobby noble to something more rogue and mysterious.
-Wings that double as both an awesome cloak and as a bow. Props to the designers for making this look natural.
-Ghost type. Ghosts are cool. Ghost starters are cooler.
-He looks like he's wearing glasses.
-That shiny is gorgeous.

Just a few appealing factors off the top of my head. Granted, appeal is largely subjective, so you could list 100 reasons why someone like something and it still won't appeal to everyone.
Fun fact: I like Noctowl but something about Decidueye just makes it less appealing than Incineroar and Primarina in my eyes.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Pre-E3, Decidueye had everything in its favor.

1) It was a Gen VII Pokemon - There was some debate if the Pokemon was gonna be from Gen VII or Gen VIII but once it became clear Gen VIII isn't going to happen in 2018, the focus went into Sun & Moon.

2) It was Sun & Moon's grass starter - Nobody expected Pokemon Trainer to come back when transformations got cut in Smash 4. With Greninja and Charizard, there was an "imbalance" so to speak. Decidueye, being the third stage grass starter from the latest generation was here to save the day. Incineroar and Primarina were initially dismissed because their typings "were already covered." I seem to recall a desire to bring in Sceptile during the Ballot for similar reasons.

3) Moveset Potential - Decidueye's fighting style would be that of an archer. It appearance on Pokken DX can somewhat give an idea to how Decidueye could play. The grass and ghost typing means you can make something out of it. People didn't want type overlap.

4) Popularity - While popularity wasn't a thing when this roster was finalized, Decidueye is the final stage evolution of the most popular Pokemon in Alola: Rowlet. This is one is probably a stretch. He has its fair share of fans yes, but Decidueye never reach Rowlet's level of popularity. Not to mention the lack of prominence in the anime or in marketing. Maybe it would've happened eventually. I don't watch the anime, so I don't know when Greninja suddenly got the big push from TPC.

Take some other stuff I probably ignored, and you got the default Pokemon newcomer during the pre-E3 2018 period. Once "Everyone is Here" was revealed, suddenly the main thing most people bandwagon behind Decidueye for was fulfilled by the returning Pokemon Trainer. After that, we saw a rise of other Alola Pokemon potentially getting in like Lycanroc, which actually has a role in the anime as one of Ash's core team. Decidueye remained a popular pick but he was no longer the default pick.

CrocoLoco

Smash Rookie
NNID
CrocoLoco
Hello!
Just a new user passing by!
Incineroar is my most wanted right now and i will support your cause
"Enjoy!"

Top Bottom