• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Burn With Passion!! -- Incineroar General Discussion (Formerly the Support Thread)

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
am i imagining it or is there something about incineroar that doest match sun and moon?
I'm not sure I follow, could you explain it a bit more. Aside from plussing up (which is to be expected from any character made into a fighter) and the different animation for Darkest Lariat and (Max) Malicious Moonsault, it seems pretty correct to me.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm not sure I follow, could you explain it a bit more. Aside from plussing up (which is to be expected from any character made into a fighter) and the different animation for Darkest Lariat and (Max) Malicious Moonsault, it seems pretty correct to me.
im not sure what it is i think its the way he moves

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I got to play as Incineroar for a bit at a friend's yesterday and he is so much fun. His smashes are so strong, and the neutral-b is an incredibly useful tool.

I'm waiting until Tuesday to pick the game up since I'll be able to get it for like £36, but man the temptation to bite the bullet and pay £59 for the digital version is killing me right now.

StormC

Smash Hero
Incineroar is a bit more anthropomorphized than most Pokemon in Smash, but it lines up with how he's portrayed in the anime:

Straw Hat

Smash Rookie
Incineroar's dtilt is such a great tool. It can combo into a grab, up tilt, up smash, and up air going from low to high percent. Dtilt to up air is true at kill percent as well. Also from 0% to about 10% you can do dtilt>grab>dthrow>fsmash for a quick 46.2%.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Hi! I'm looking for some help and think this might be the best thread.

I'm having issues vs Incineroar as Marth.

Everything is fine mostly - you can juggle him okay, and off stage is decent.

But how is the best way to get around his Side B?

Whitephoenixace

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7304-2300-4542

Well first off i find this ironic as incine has trouble with fe swordsman the most. Secondally, something like that would be better off asked in the marth section as us here would be looking for ways to better deal with marth. Lastly, in all honesty, i dunno but hitting him at the end of side b or wiffing it and down airing ( i dont know what marths down air is) u can get past it. The same case in terms of rolling past it.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Try dodging when he does his Side B and you should be able to punish him with either a tilt or a grab if you’re close.

If you feel that you can’t punish his side B, try to get some distance away from Incineroar instead. This way, you can be at a more favorable position since Incineroar has a tough time getting close due to his slow speed (and air speed too? Based on what I’ve seen).

If you have any questions related to Marth, you should probably ask in the Marth thread instead.

Last edited:

HolyAarom

Smash Rookie
NNID
HolyAarom
Switch FC
SW-2157-3237-4418
Picked up the character, and he's a lot of fun. From what I've played, f-tilt is very useful and comes out quick, can do a dash into it just to poke some people.

One thing I'm wary about though is the Cross Chop edge guard thing. You can Cross Chop at the peak of a ground jump off the ledge, and you can get back with a double jump and air dodge up. Some stages might have some wacky geometry though and if you "bonk" the stage during the air dodge you'll get pushed away from the ledge and won't grab it even though you're above it.

Pakky

Smash Hero
This man kills at 40% this is the best.

Yo Golden, when we going?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Incineroar feels so good. The Alolan whip and cross chop combo is just so satisfying. So glad we have a grappler. I'm having trouble timing Revenge but pulling off a good counter is so satisfying. This boy has WEIGHT.

HolyAarom

Smash Rookie
NNID
HolyAarom
Switch FC
SW-2157-3237-4418
Looks like Revenge maxes out how much you power up to 3x. Tested against Mario/Snake/Incineroar each using a charged side smash attack. Base damage lariat (Alolan Whip correct timing press) does 24%, while revenge boosted did 72% (3x) no matter the type of side smash eaten from the three characters tested. Revenge also appears to reduce the damage taken from the hit by roughly 60% of what it would normally deal. Snake's side smash dealt 26.4% vs 10.5% when activating revenge, and Incineroar's side smash dealt 24% vs 9.6%.

As far as losing the revenge boost, the help/tips say that if Incineroar is thrown/launched, the boost is lost, but I think you can get launched a small distance and still keep the boost. I got hit by an Incineroar side smash at 0% and didn't lose it, but getting hit by a second one right after made me lose the boost. A huge good thing about it though is that the boost only applies once you actually hit the opponent. I whiffed a few attacks and never lost the glow, but only after I landed a hit did the boost go away. Revenge boosts almost everything. Throws get buffed, jab combos get buffed (but follow ups don't, ie. down-throw > forward-air.) If you don't follow up a jab combo at all, you'll lose the revenge boost. Pummels don't get boosted. Another good thing: revenge boost won't go away on shielded attacks. I believe because of this, revenge boost does not affect how much damage you do to a shield.

Last edited:

strike42

Smash Journeyman
You lose it if you take enough dmg(its 35% iirc), you get thrown, or after a period of time(dunno what it is).

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I've fallen in love with this character. It's so fun.
Hey Bowserboy! First off, I'd say learn the range that Incineroar can cover with side b. Go into training mode as Incineroar and mess around with that until you get a feeling of the space it can cover. Secondly, it's a command grab. If you shield, you are going to get grabbed. Incineroar players will try to bait you into shielding. Once the bait's been established, Alolan Whip will surely start seeing use. Yet, seeing as it is a grab, attacks will interrupt side-b if done correctly.
Secondally, something like that would be better off asked in the marth section as us here would be looking for ways to better deal with marth.
While I understand your view, I'd like to say that it's good that Marth and Incineroar players exchange data like this. This is definitely a good place to ask for feedback when playing against Incineroar. Knowing what tools Incineroar has to deal with Marth gives insight on Incineroar's strengths. Something that this sub-forum will more than likely discuss and have answers to. That info can then be utilized to discuss how Marth can play around that and exploit Incineroar's weaknesses. Likewise, Marth players can give their information on why they take certain approaches against Incineroar and what weaknesses Marth has that Incineroar can then exploit. It's amazing data for developing the match-up.

Last edited:

Whitephoenixace

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7304-2300-4542
Out of all incine moves which on single hit do the mosr dmg to shield ? Juat wondering what i should use if i wanted to try for a shield break. I know darkest lariat can but thats only if it gets enough hits in and only a fool would stay shielded on it.

huh

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have a working link to the Incineroar discord? Looks like someone made one around june, but every link i've found online to join has expired

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
Out of all incine moves which on single hit do the mosr dmg to shield ? Juat wondering what i should use if i wanted to try for a shield break. I know darkest lariat can but thats only if it gets enough hits in and only a fool would stay shielded on it.
sweet spot fsmash seems to do the most, and looks unpunishable

you can jab him out of it too

Wernershnitzl

Smash Rookie
So I recently picked him up since I was interested in his moveset. He works well on the Spirit Board, but I find that the Belmont characters are a hard counter to him, at least against the ones I've played online.

RandysRage

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere between the North and South Poles

Browny

Smash Hater
I'm just going to repost what I said on the comp forum here;

I have a feeling a lot of people are playing Incineroar wrong because they aren't focusing on his strengths and choosing to lower his risk which comes with a disproportionately large reduction to his reward.

Counters have typically always been high risk, medium reward moves where it almost never worth throwing them out because its an unfavourable trade. Bayonetta is the only character to bring that reward up to high. But Incineroars counter is different, its high risk for insanely high reward to the point that its worth using.

The thing about Incineroar is his grabs are terrifying to the enemy so they will rarely stay in shield, instead they are going to throw out hitboxes far more often than if they were against a character like the belmonts. Incineroars very nature is going to condition the enemy to play more aggressive. This is distinctly different to the usual characters with counters in the FE characters because their grabs are usually plain awful, so the opponent can sit in shield more safely.

An Incineroar who doesnt use revenge, is basically telling the enemy that they weren't planning on using many throws this match, so spam hitboxes all you want, you can even superglue your shield buttons so they are stuck open so you'll be even safer vs him. You can't be a 'grappler' while giving the enemy free reign to throw out as many hitboxes as possible, you have to scare them into shield and you sure as hell aren't going to be doing that while never using the single best move to do it.

Some counters are obviously better than others. Marths being quite poor, then Ikes able to kill and Bayonettas being ridiculous. Incineroars is arguably better than Corrins but, and this is a big thing here, we can't measure it by how much reward you can possibly get off it (which is where people are very, very wrong), we must measure it by how differently the enemy plays around you when they know you are prepared to use it. Think of Samus vs G&W, in a matchup where the G&W never uses bucket because they are petrified of super missles vs a G&W who is always ready to bucket charge shot. They are wildly different, the Samus player is going to do far better vs the G&W that is more afraid as they can use charge shot for KOs. An Incineroar playing against someone who second guesses their KO reads or edgeguard attempts, is an Incineroar who is going to live longer and KO earlier.

To me, not using Revenge is akin to not using something like k.rools crown. Just because something is risky, doesn't mean you give the enemy free reign to do what they want without requiring them to take any risks themselves. Of course its still a high risk move but if you are playing a high risk, high reward character and you decide to lower the risk to lower the reward by a disproportionately large amount, then what the hell are you doing, go and main Mario or something and never try to go for high upb kills.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
If anyone has any specific stuff they want labbed, let me know. I'm very experienced with this stuff and have made all sorts of hitbox guides, shieldstun calculations, optimal punishes for certain move guides etc.

For example something I need more testing with is the optimal follow up from dthrow. dthrow-lariat seems true enough for 30.0% while dthrow-fair is very easy for a free 28%, but for example dthrow-bair is harder to do, does a little less but has less knockback and less lag. Against heavies, they actually can't throw out an attack quick enough, therefore it forces them to jump or airdodge, both of which Incineroar can punish very hard. So it turns a 30% string into 54% if you get a 2/3 guess right.

Top Bottom