• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Burn With Passion!! -- Incineroar General Discussion (Formerly the Support Thread)

UserKev

Smash Champion
Incineroar is seeming to be at a high disadvantage against characters like Simon and sword users while being a direct counter against other heavy weights. Incineroar is built to wreck Ridley, K. Rool and the like but his phobias are real, bruh.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Incineroar is seeming to be at a high disadvantage against characters like Simon and sword users while being a direct counter against other heavy weights. Incineroar is built to wreck Ridley, K. Rool and the like but his phobias are real, bruh.
He seems to do fine against speedsters too. His main footsie tools have top-notch frame data for a heavy and seem to easily lead into damaging combos (utilt in particular is almost disgustingly wide), so he won't be outbuttoned easily. You really need strong zoning to have an undisputed good matchup against him.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Here's something interesting that occurs to me. You know how Incineroar is getting a lot of hate? Doesn't his pokedex say he likes to hear crowds booing him?

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Something I don't get, another reason people hate Incineroar is because "It's another bipedal Fire/Fighting fully evolved starter(even though it literally doesn't a Fighting secondary type and instead has a Dark type)".

So I gotta ask, why are the hardcore Pokemon fans so obsessed with having a quadruped fully evolved fire starter?

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Something I don't get, another reason people hate Incineroar is because "It's another bipedal Fire/Fighting fully evolved starter(even though it literally doesn't a Fighting secondary type and instead has a Dark type)".

So I gotta ask, why are the hardcore Pokemon fans so obsessed with having a quadruped fully evolved fire starter?
Why is that?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That is what I don't understand, what is the obsession with something as trivial as not having a fully evolved fire starter that is quadruped?
I think it's largely concept fatigue, and a lesser issue in the larger overall complaint of GF recycling the same Fire/Fighting archetype ad nauseum. While Incineroar himself isn't actually Fire/Fighting, aesthetically he still fits the mold (and is actually based on a type of fighter).

The quadruped thing also has something to do with Incineroar starting as a quadruped before making a heel-turn (heh) into a biped at the last second. Some people who liked the initial designs of Litten and Torracat felt that Incineroar was too drastic a departure from what they initially believed the designs to be leading up to.

And also some people just don't like Incineroar's design. :ohwell:

Pakky

Smash Hero
So I've been away for a while and I've been thinking about Pokemon lately much in part to Let's Go.

Ya'know what's funny? About gen 7 I mean.

I'm starting to think (this might not be news but I haven't really thought about until now) That Sun/Moon was initially released 'incomplete' in order to make another cash grab with Ultra Sun/Moon and or stall for time for the development of gen 8.

Now, why do I think this?

Well, Sakurai's quote and a weird leak from vanilla Sun/Moon's news cycle got me thinking that either ALL the monster designs were developed already and withheld.

First the quote

"On Incineroar:

When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon, and after Pokémon: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon came out I took another look at it. That resulted in Incineroar being chosen. I wanted to try making a pro-wrestler type character at least once! Incineroar is voiced by the late Mr. Unshō Ishizuka – of Professor. Oak fame – who passed away back in August; he had recorded new lines just for this game. May he rest in peace."

And now the leak

So I can't find a direct quote but basically, there were rumors back in the vanilla Sun/Moon days about there being a Snowman Dullahan that would use it head as a weapon and was Ghost/Ice type.

Now what's interesting about that is that in the same batch of leaks we were also told that Crabrawler was going to have a rival and there would be a dolphin Pokemon. What's weird is that all of this came true in a roundabout way. Crabralwer became a snow yeti crab after defeating its rivals and aims for the top... literally? Tapu Fini eh, not a dolphin but a Marlon so close I guess with being 'fish-shaped' but yeah. Other than that the most interesting one, the 'Dulhan' did not appear in the vanilla game but in the sequel games Ultra Sun/Moon in the form of Blacephalon who takes off it head like a weapon and allows it to explode. However, the element is the wrong cuz is a fire boy, not an ice boy, which I assume was a criss-cross of info on Crabombiable. But being a Snowman, well the shape is.. close, like eerily close. The stick body throws things but I don't know that seems to close to be just a silly fake.

So, yeah, kinda pointless but that's what I think.

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
HOO BOY, I don't think I've been in here since Incineroar's confirmation. Congratulations, guys! He looks amazing! Apart from the Greninja/Charizard trailer we got, Incineroar has my favorite reveal trailer. While Ken and Incineroar were heavily assumed after vergeben, I still got a genuine rush of hype when you saw his eyes glowing in the dark behind Ken. And of course, his reaction to Villager and the other fighters behind him had me laughing. His animations are probably my favorite in Smash right now, HE'S SO EXPRESSIVE I LOVE IT:love: and his alts...man, they're great. I'm beyond excited we got a newcomer Pokemon, and Incineroar is definitely going to be my main. You guys supported The Fiery Furball to the end, and look where it stands now, among some(most)of the greatest Nintendo, and gaming characters in, to me, one of the greatest gaming franchises in existence. Take pride in your triumph, brothers and sisters, it's been well earned and I can't wait to see more of Incineroar in Smash Bros. Ultimate's future :)

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I think it's largely concept fatigue, and a lesser issue in the larger overall complaint of GF recycling the same Fire/Fighting archetype ad nauseum. While Incineroar himself isn't actually Fire/Fighting, aesthetically he still fits the mold (and is actually based on a type of fighter).

The quadruped thing also has something to do with Incineroar starting as a quadruped before making a heel-turn (heh) into a biped at the last second. Some people who liked the initial designs of Litten and Torracat felt that Incineroar was too drastic a departure from what they initially believed the designs to be leading up to.

And also some people just don't like Incineroar's design. :ohwell:
Are these the reasons(minus the Fighting type issue) that people hate fellow fire starter Delphox?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Are these the reasons(minus the Fighting type issue) that people hate fellow fire starter Delphox?
To an extent. I think in Delphox's case it may stem largely from its hit-or-miss design, which isn't really done any favors by its 3DS model (it's kinda... stiff and flat looking. Delphox looks much better animated, I think.)

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
To an extent. I think in Delphox's case it may stem largely from its hit-or-miss design, which isn't really done any favors by its 3DS model (it's kinda... stiff and flat looking. Delphox looks much better animated, I think.)
I see. I heard some people say it's "not what they wanted/expected" similar to Incineroar. At least Incineroar has GF, TPC backing him up.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
Today I was thinking about shenanigans off the top screen with Incineroar's side-b. Like an up throw into side-b and deliberately hitting the button early to launch opponents off the top? I wonder...

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Can I tell all of you something? You're wonderful people who are just...nice and I aM HAPPY to support Incineroar. You never get that dumb fake grinch leak you down. you got hoping, and here we are. We got the cat. Thanks.

ROAR FOR THE HEEL!

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Can I tell all of you something? You're wonderful people who are just...nice and I aM HAPPY to support Incineroar. You never get that dumb fake grinch leak you down. you got hoping, and here we are. We got the cat. Thanks.

ROAR FOR THE HEEL!
Listen, you can't expect a group of wrestling fans to ever be beaten down, not when icons like Macho Man Randy Savage, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Rey Mysterio, Edge, John Cena, and Roman Reigns have been in our lives. If there's one thing you can always trust a heel to do, it's get away with the belt and live to fight another day.

D

Deleted member

Always roar for the heel.

Incineroar had a ton of support glad no one ever gave up on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Looks like Revenge boost doesn't go away unless from getting thrown or put into tumble.

That's pretty damn nifty. Puts a lot of pressure to either block him or rush him down to remove the boost, which is exactly what a grappler wants.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Looks like Revenge boost doesn't go away unless from getting thrown or put into tumble.

That's pretty damn nifty. Puts a lot of pressure to either block him or rush him down to remove the boost, which is exactly what a grappler wants.
Any more news for our cat?

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
I don't mean to be a downer or anything, but have been playing Incineroar a lot lately and I feel like he is not that good. Then again, this is a quick opinion after playing for like 2 days. His recovery is just dreadful x.x (though it brings opponents down ala ganoncide) and anything will gimp him. Neutral B lariat might as well not exist for what it does. The sideB unblockable is strong if you get the lariat timing, but it's nothing spectacular compared to Bowser's. Dair is very very hard to spike with and it has huge landing lag.

His tilts and aerials, however, are quite fast and good. Backthrow KOs very early, comparable to Ness backthrow (100% at the ledge). Downthrow true combos into stuff up until like 80%, but no kill confirms. F-tilt is his fastest KO move, being stronger than backthrow and KOing around 100% even not directly at the ledge. Downtilt true combos into any aerial at any%, leading into damage or kill confirms.

So after spending some time in training mode writing this post, my opinion on Incineroar has improved. He has way too many kill confirms or unblockable KO moves, so he can secure a stock once enemy hits 100% almost guaranteed. But he's very weak on the defensive and pathetic offstage, almost like a Little Mac even with decent aerials. Yet to be seen how he handles in neutral vs the good characters. There's definitely some potential if his gimmicks and setup techs are developed.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Darkest Lariat is a frame 5 move with intangibility that does like 18%, I don't know what you're on about saying it might as well not exist.

SmashNStache

Smash Cadet
Man, it's been a while since I've been on here and I'm glad to see Incineroar's still getting lots of love!

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Darkest Lariat is a frame 5 move with intangibility that does like 18%, I don't know what you're on about saying it might as well not exist.
The duration is so long that it is easily punished unless you hit. Even if you dodge a projectile they can dash in and punish and it's basically instant death if used offstage. I suppose it's worth checking out as a reversal like Samus/Bowser upBs. This move would be really good if he didn't spin for so long since it does come out quite fast and the initial hitbox is very strong.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Well yeah, it's a reversal with ridiculous properties. It /should/ be punishable.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Well yeah, it's a reversal with ridiculous properties. It /should/ be punishable.
Upon spamming NeutralB in a lot of matches following your comments, I've realized it's not as bad as I thought. The startup intangibility makes it win any trade, but only the initial hit is any good. The move is not strong enough to KO before any of his many other good KO options. It can be an option to land with on-stage but you still die if you use it to defend vs an edgeguard. Not yet sure if there's any value in moving left or right while performing it since the later hits are weak and don't have the invul.

Also learned that upB has armor on the way up, this can be very nasty if someone tries to spike you since it often results in suicide KO. You still won't survive, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Incineroar looking good.

It'll be effective and lethal stuff to work out for it, but it'll be great.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Incineroar looking good.

It'll be effective and lethal stuff to work out for it, but it'll be great.
It's been a breath of fresh air being able to get a KO at will once opponentis above 100%. Good throws and confirms are a big luxury in this Smash bros. This was enough to get Bowser to High Tier in smash4 before the nerfs, and this guy has a lot more of that.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Upon spamming NeutralB in a lot of matches following your comments, I've realized it's not as bad as I thought. The startup intangibility makes it win any trade, but only the initial hit is any good. The move is not strong enough to KO before any of his many other good KO options. It can be an option to land with on-stage but you still die if you use it to defend vs an edgeguard. Not yet sure if there's any value in moving left or right while performing it since the later hits are weak and don't have the invul.

Also learned that upB has armor on the way up, this can be very nasty if someone tries to spike you since it often results in suicide KO. You still won't survive, though.
The late hits may not do much damage, but they still win against every attack. Most notably projectiles. Look at the clip where he uses it on Ryu, if the hits are as weak as you say and it did not have special priority it should've just stopped on that Hadoken. Use it in conjunction with Revenge to make them scared about trying to zone Incineroar out.

Zoners are still the hardest for him, since he has to mindgame a lot just to get close, however on the flipside it looks like he does fine against the combo speedsters, since he has the frame data to compete with theirs, compounded with huge conversions. And they can't really stay away from him forever unless they have a big lead.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
The late hits may not do much damage, but they still win against every attack. Most notably projectiles. Look at the clip where he uses it on Ryu, if the hits are as weak as you say and it did not have special priority it should've just stopped on that Hadoken. Use it in conjunction with Revenge to make them scared about trying to zone Incineroar out.

Zoners are still the hardest for him, since he has to mindgame a lot just to get close, however on the flipside it looks like he does fine against the combo speedsters, since he has the frame data to compete with theirs, compounded with huge conversions. And they can't really stay away from him forever unless they have a big lead.
It seems after the initial hit it retains only protection to projectiles (but not other attacks), but it's hard to test this on single player. Issue with using it against a hadoken is that Ryu could dash attack punish from half the stage away. Would have been great if you could use it more safely in the air to dodge stuff without resorting to airdodge. Perhaps when you guys try it out you'll find it better against zoners, but they'll probably still be his worst matchup as you say. Nair is also very good for defense since it has no landing lag.

But yes, combo characters beware of neutral B. Of note is that when used in the air, it slows down the falling speed significantly for the duration of the move, so you have to do it very late if you want to land with it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This was some of the first footage I found of a decent-ish player using incinerar in a competitive match so I wanted to share it here.

https://youtu.be/NjxzbFjGIeo
He could have used much more Revenge to stop those roller attacks. In fact, I think one should always look for an opportunity to activate it if it isn't already, or you're already in.

Top Bottom