• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bum present Merry Fistmas Dec 18, 2010

BUM163

Smash Lord
Hey this is Bum letting you know i'm hosting a tournament for Super smash bros brawl in my house [In the Bronx] Dec 18,2010. I know NYC has been slacking for quite some time and i'm here to bring it back to life.

Address - 955 e163rd st apt 5j. You can take the 2 and 5 train to intervale ave, get out the side of westchester. Get out the stairs. walk to the corner, then make a left on the corner walk to the next corner. When you reach that corner make a left on till you reach Kelly. Cross the street and you will see a building with balconies which is my building.

There will be free pizza, munchies and drinks. I will also be streaming this event. I have 9 wii's but if you want to bring a setup in which you have your own custom music/text hacks... then that's fine. I definitely need Brawl discs so if anyone can bring... please do so. I also have ten tvs in my house.

People can start coming at 12:30 pm and it will end when the tournament is done. Can someone update me with rules/stages cause this game is always changing every season lol.

Venue fee is 10 dollars and Singles/Doubles is also 10 dollars.

Any questions you want to ask me hit me up on -

Stalk me on facebook - Johnathan163@myspace.com

Hit me up on Aim - Oni163

1-718-607-0321 Johnathan a.k.a Bum.

HelpR

Smash Ace
this sounds fun. even if it's being run out of a house, bum's living area is quite spacious, and can hold a decent tournament there.

Also, free food!

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
This deserves more hype=/

Bums tournies are always fun and he even puts up a livestream

20+ plz;[,i want to do teamszzzz

HelpR

Smash Ace
hype train needs to get rolling! this is in 3 days. we need to try and bring some smaller NY tourneys back into the fray. Smashers complain about tournaments never happening inside NY, and that you have to travel to jersey to attend. Then something happens in the bronx and no one attends.

Come on people. Bum is a legit TO, we need to support the NY smash scene the best we can. Let's get started here and get back to ******. Where's our wifi kid support?! NY is absolutely full of wifi warriors, so yall should take a dive and check out this sonnuva*****

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
I dislike the area, but if I have nothing planned, I'll try to get to this.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Considering he's giving free food, snacks, drinks, and actually hosting the tourney in its home I think the venue fee is fine.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Thats the spirit!!

The pizza was REALLY good last time too so I'm sure it'll be tasty once again.....thats if its the same pizza place :p
Defenetly :D +plus the cupcakez in stuffz. I'm actually coming to this for practice, going to try & play as many friendlies as possible

HelpR

Smash Ace
you coming through keit?

I think there's a tourney this sat in MD or something, but if you're coming to this i'd like that MM

Keitaro

Nah I actually won't be able to come because I promised Chibo I'd help host at Fusion this weekend. We'll mm soon.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Thinking about getting @ this.

Bringin' my wii and/or Brawl disc if I do.

Also, here is a temporary picture to help with the directions if anyone is confused.

1st Picture
After the train, here are your walking directions

2nd Picture
What the building looks like.

I'm not saying I know how to get there but this should give me/you a good idea... Also I should remember the apartment number. Heheh. 5J 5J 5J 5J

Edit: :urg: might not be able to go...

Keitaro

Its one day, its just that it ends 2am ish so it goes into the 2nd day according to the smashboards calendar.

HelpR

Smash Ace
This was really fun. unfortunately it didnt lead to a tournament as was hoped, but instead there was a smashfest. We all got free food, each paying 3 bucks to chill and steal some of bum's electricity.

I'm disappointed nothing came out of this, but the venue is definitely large enough to hold a tournament in, with there being enough room for up to 50 people, as bum went through alot of trouble to make the area he had available clear and open.

There were 10 tvs and 6 wiis already there. I mean seriously. The dude was stocked UP. This isn't at a traditional venue, but bum has worked hard to prepare for this, and hopefully the next tournemtn he runs will be succesful.

I know some people are saying that an apartment doesn't warrant a 10 dollar venue fee, but you literally need to bring nothing with you to tournaments run by bum, as he already has most of the equipment set up. He provided food for FREE. I can't stress this enough honestly. There were like 40 cupcakes and 3 pizza pies, we each had 2 slices because there was plenty to go around.

The next tournament he holds BETTER have a good turnout, and I will try my damndest to make sure it does, because the dude has put in a lot of work to get things ready, and this has the potential to be a brand new local that we have running consistently in New York City.

Seriously guys, let's support our local scene for ONCE.

Gauntlet started struggling with attendance after a while, and we barely have any local tournaments in the city. Chu dat runs a tournament out of his house, why can't bum?

Let's ****ing do this and make our scene better, ffs.

And yes, i know there were 2 tournaments running 2 states away, but there should have been a much better turnout then there was.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
it was said how the turnout of this was. There could not be a tournament. So it ended up to be a session. But I find it ****ed up how people did not support this. And *****ed about venue fee cause it was at someones house?

Bum But alot of work to get the set ups, TV's plus food that came out of his pocket. All to help this weak smash scene in NYC. I'm sure people could have made it. But had their lil BS excuses or just did not wanna come cause of venue fee or a in house tourny. That is crazy. This dude had set ups in the living room plus his room. Lots of space for a tournament. Plus on top of that he is giving you FREEEEEEEEEEE food/drinks. All for ten bucks. He has tons of set ups, you don't even need to bring yours. I brought a wii plus my TV as usual to w/e tourny I go too. I come to see that i did not have too. The man had everything set up.

it's funny how people would not come to this, yet there would waste their money traveling OoS to these expensive *** tourny Same time pay alot just to get/drive there. Why don't I hear people ***** about that? Yet this man goes out his way to spend so much money out his pocket to get chairs, tables and setups. Plus provide free food and drinks. All for 10 bucks. And There is a **** load of food. And people can't support that? Or make this BS excuses? The community in NYC is pathetic. People cant even help each other out. The smash community in NYC is weak. Bum is trying to help build it and people dont wanna help or support it. Then later I hear how people want more tournies in NYC and how lame it is not having them like back when web2zone was alive.

It begin and ends with you. You don't put no effort into anything, nothing will happen. Also people are so spoiled. if the pot is not big or if the tourny is at ones house, people wont go and play/enter. it's all about money with people. And this is why to me this game is not even worth playing for money. Japan always had the right idea. I dont think there is a tourny out there that freaking feeds you so you won'y have to leave the place and go to some food spot and spend money out of your pocket to eat. You get fed hear and all that money you would have spent on food you keep. You actually save money at bums tournies then you would at others just for that fact.

I find stuff like this ****ed up. And I know how bums feels too. I too bust my *** to bring a wii plus a TV in my hand alone to tournies to help out. Yet when I ask for rides from people, I can never get it. Always these BS excuses. Yet the COOL kids get first dips and half of them or maybe more don't even bust thier own ***** to help out like I do. I carry my TV all over the EC alone. Heat, rain, or snow. And when I asked for help in this community, I can't get it? I sometimes feel stupid wasting my damm time doing this. So I bust my own *** like I have been for 2 years carrying a TV plus wii to tournies all over this region, no matter the weather and no matter how much i struggle alone. I still freaking do it. I show dedication to help the community. So why can't the rest of you do it and lend a helping hand. Along with support?

We are not a bunch of random people to each other. We have know each other since 2008. And those that are not only brawl heads and were in the melee scene, more than 2 years. Why why are people acting like we are all enemies? You call that a community? This is more like hood life.

People need to stop being so damm spoiled. this is why the NYC scene is lame. And not going anywhere. Also not be so lazy. Amazing how you would go to a tourny 2-4 hours away and pay alot to get there and back. Yet you pay lil (if you live in NYC that is) And pay ten bucks for a serious deal you dont even get at other tournies. Most tournies, they need set ups. Bum has a **** load, all you need to do is bring your controller, thats it. Most tournies wont feed you, you have to travel to get food. Sometimes by car even and burn more gas. Bum, feeds you and gives drinks. All that for ten bucks with enough space to hold like 30 people? What damm tournies is offering all that **** to you? You sometimes have to pay more then ten bucks venue for some venue that is not even all that or cramped, and you don't get deals like this.

The smash community is seriously something. It's sad. This crap needs to change, like seriously.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
yea,i felt kinda bad after all the effort i heard bum put into this.
was planning on coming with 2 others but got sick last minute=l

The NYC smash scene is actually pretty big(polybrawl proved that) but I don't think word spreads around fast enough that they could make time for it, this was announced only last week. Very few people from nyc check these sections anymore, in fact, most of them probably don't have accounts anymore because they just assume all the tourneys are NJ,which is true lol. Probably would have been better if Bum announced this on the beginning of December, but it's not only his fault,the community itself needs to step it up. The very few that are actually putting effort in are Helpr,wes, Bum, Tony T, Munoz and Deven occasionally with smashfests,compared to NJ/MD that has a variety of TO's and Venues that creates hype.=l

In other words, NYC smashscene has alot of potential but there are very few that actually want to lead the community. Also again..it's better to announce these things 2-4 weeks in advance at least for the best outcome possible.

edit: there was also fusion that day so that probably didnt help either olol...

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
yea,i felt kinda bad after all the effort i heard bum put into this.
was planning on coming with 2 others but got sick last minute=l

The NYC smash scene is actually pretty big(polybrawl proved that) but I don't think word spreads around fast enough that they could make time for it, this was announced only last week. Very few people from nyc check these sections anymore, in fact, most of them probably don't have accounts anymore because they just assume all the tourneys are NJ,which is true lol. Probably would have been better if Bum announced this on the beginning of December, but it's not only his fault,the community itself needs to step it up. The very few that are actually putting effort in are Helpr,wes, Bum, Tony T, Munoz and Deven occasionally with smashfests,compared to NJ/MD that has a variety of TO's and Venues that creates hype.=l

In other words, NYC smashscene has alot of potential but there are very few that actually want to lead the community. Also again..it's better to announce these things 2-4 weeks in advance at least for the best outcome possible.

edit: there was also fusion that day so that probably didnt help either olol...
fusion had the same attendance as this. No one from NY went to fusion.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Something that played a big part was the venue. It's in someone's HOUSE. Now while im not complaining about the house itself, it's just that alot to stuff can happen. In fact i couldn't go because of that specific reason (which in reality s actually reasonable). But yeah bum does real good with his tournies, hopefully this gets annouced a little more earlier (i found out about this only a week b4 it was to happen). That anda chance of venue. No matter what, it's still in someones apartment.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Something that played a big part was the venue. It's in someone's HOUSE. Now while im not complaining about the house itself, it's just that alot to stuff can happen. In fact i couldn't go because of that specific reason (which in reality s actually reasonable). But yeah bum does real good with his tournies, hopefully this gets annouced a little more earlier (i found out about this only a week b4 it was to happen). That anda chance of venue. No matter what, it's still in someones apartment.
And just what does it matter if it is in someones house? I don't get it. ChuDat has tournies like every week in his hours and they go so well. Like 20-30 people. So what is the big deal of an in house tourny with lots of space and free food? I'm having trouble understanding this.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
And just what does it matter if it is in someones house? I don't get it. ChuDat has tournies like every week in his hours and they go so well. Like 20-30 people. So what is the big deal of an in house tourny with lots of space and free food? I'm having trouble understanding this.
You just have to use your judgement honestly. I'll you use myself as an example. I don't personally know bum, in fact, i just know his face. I don't know if there will be alchol there, I dont know what can happen betwen those hours. Theres no security. Someone can easily steal something. If a fight happens, there isn't any1 to stop it except for tourney participants, and if there anything like the ppl in school, they will watch until some1 gets hurt badly. The last tourney bum hosted in the school, there were about 4-5 school safety guards, which ensures safety.

Im not saying bum IS/WILL have all that happening @ his tourney, Im saying theres a greater chance. You really can't say it is unreasonable (what I just said). Especially if someone needs permission from there parent/guardian to go. Even i agree that saying " Im going to a tournament in someone's house" sounds a little off. Does the parent KNOW this person? No, so why would she/he trust their child in someone else house they have never probably seen in their life for like 2-9 hours?

HelpR

Smash Ace
....You must not get much practice outside of wifi huh bro.

This is a necessary evil honestly. If you want to get TRULY good in this community, learning to trust community members is a big part of it. We all know each other in this community, and if fights ever break out, people will likely step in to restrain the participants. How many tournaments do you honestly think occur that has actual security guards present to stop fights on the premises?

Very few. In between NYC and NJ, there's only 3 or 4 tournaments that have actual security (Apex, polybrawl, and bum's old tournament series) as very few tournaments ever occur in schools due to it being too expensive/too difficult to work out an agreement for using school premises, and negotiating for security is expensive and often unnecessary.

try to coax your parents into the idea that you're responsible to go to tournaments on your own. give them the full address of the place where you're going to be playing, give them a contact number of someone that's going to the tournament as well (either the TO or a entrant that's there with you, hell, give them both in case they can't contact you)

Yeah, i know it's tough being a smasher when your parents don't allow you to travel much, but try and figure out what kind of agreement you can come to with your parents. The above steps help alot.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Yeah, i know it's tough being a smasher when your parents don't allow you to travel much, but try and figure out what kind of agreement you can come to with your parents. The above steps help alot.
Pretty much everything you said was correct. I know bum's old tournies & polybrawl has security, because those are the one's i've BEEN to. Nope I don't go to tournies much, mostly because their all in New Jersey. I do aprreciate the help, but I've already tried that (for the house tourney specifically). Bottom line is that in-house tournies are out of the question, and im sure im not the only onwe this applies to. The last tournament i've been to was Polybrawl5. Best tourney i've been to since i've gotten the chance to play a few pros and learn how to play & adapt even more better. Anywyas, It took me about an hour to get there, that's pretty much how far I'm willing to travel for a tournament.

Top Bottom