• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Definitely add me to the supporter list! Xeno X is my favorite game and I just need Elma in Smash. I'd main her without a second thought.
I've been spending days thinking about Elma in Smash now, and since I don't want to annoy my Discord friends anymore, I decided to look for threads like this and found this one.
As for a stage, I'd love one called simply Mira. When you pick it, the game would randomly pick one of the 5 continents or NLA and the respective music, just like the Animal Crossing track in MK 8 picks a random season.

I also made these out of sheer hype. They aren't really good, all I had was the browser inspect element, a free Paint demo, snipping tool and a whiteboard presentation software. And I have zero experience with editing stuff or GFX or whatever. But I'll put them here regardless ^^'
https://imgur.com/a/IG4gvjS
Welcome!
I love that idea for the XCX stage! That sounds super cool!

And those are pretty neat, good job.

Sorry if this isn't Elma related at all but my biggest issue against Rex is that he's just so boring compared to the rest of the Xenoblade 2 cast. GIve me Morag or Nia, But sadly they have no chance at all to get in so that even makes me more desperate to get Elma added in

@Yluma Welcome to the Elma flock great to see more new faces around here, Seems were getting new supporters every day which is great news.
Yea, I agree. I would much rather have one of the other party members, but I don't think that's happening, unfortunately.
As long as Rex is unique and fun, I'll enjoy him tho.

Also
Nice wholesome pfp

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
What do y'all think of this video? Only proceed to watch it if you have beaten the main storyline or don't care about spoilers.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
What do y'all think of this video? Only proceed to watch it if you have beaten the main storyline or don't care about spoilers.

I really like it.
In fact, immediately after I beat X, I started looking for theories, and binged all his X videos, this is like the 3rd time I've watched this particular one. Lol.
I like his theories and analysis and stuff, it's all interesting, especially seeing connections come together and everything

Honestly, one of my favorite parts about X is how mysterious everything is. Everything is so unknown and scary, and you have to theorize about what it could all mean. A video game hasn't given my that kind of feeling since Halo CE and I love it so much!
And I can't wait to see how hist theories hold up when X2 comes out.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
I saw this on Smash Bros Reddit thought it would be cool to share here.

Who is Elma in the first place? (for those who don't know)

In Xenoblade Chronicles X, Elma is one of many people that left Earth just prior to its destruction via one particular space ship, Noah's Ark style. That ship crash-landed eventually on the planet that the game takes place on, and the people who were stranded with the ship built up their makeshift city and started to make a living there. The main problem was, the Lifehold, a part of the ship vital to their survival, broke off from the rest of the ship when it crashed, so they had to go looking for it. Elma was not only in the military before leaving Earth; she is a BLADE captain (which is what they call their makeshift survival-focused government), the leader of the Reclaimers division. In the game, she is all but the main character, as the avatar themself has no personality. Her team is on the front lines searching for said Lifehold basically all game. Duty and impartial kindness tend to be Elma's intrinsic character, though her darker and more difficult emotions sometimes cause her to aid the common good in a more headstrong, shut-off manner rather than using logic as normal for her.

Why would she even be in SmUsh? (for skeptics and unsure onlookers, among others)

Basically, the argument is that (a) she fits well, (b) she's a unique fighter, (c) XCX came out around when Sakurai was working on Sm4sh DLC (and, probably, SmUsh), (d) Xenoblade 2 finalized its character designs right around when Sakurai finalized the roster so XC2 may not get a rep, and (e) I'm biased.

But this is all speculation anyway, so for those who would want to know more, here's everything I came up with on the topic.

Reveal Trailer Pitch:

Samus, Fox, and Kirby, flying in space, are shot at by something offscreen. It connects with all of them, sending them careening down to another planet. When they get out, blueish trails streak through the sky, a silhouette passing by in the air too fast to see. The group investigates the source, but when they uncover the skell, they’re shot at from behind. They turn around, and there she is—Elma. She speaks: “Let’s see what you got.”

Tagline: “Elma engages the enemy!”

General playstyle: Evasive Pesterer

Elma’s basic strategy is to evade as much damage as possible, irritating her enemy at range and swooping in for quick combos when punishing. Her moves are generally fast and lower on damage (battles in XCX can take ten minutes), so it’s necessary for her to take advantage of every opening that’s possible. Indecisiveness is a bad habit when playing as Elma, as her speed will be hampered by her momentum if you try to change directions too often. She kills at fairly early percents, but it’s a grind to rack up opponents’ damage percentages; reads and punishes are necessary to get her damage combos. Of course, don’t worry about being punished too often—just dash into the fray, disrupt an attack or seize an opening, and then streak away again.

Stats (based on SSB4)

Size: Generic human size, like Wii Fit Trainer or Lucina

Weight: 89.5 (Rank 43) - Light for a mid-weight

Walk Speed: 0.92 (Rank 44) - Not very fast

Run Speed: 1.98 (Rank 10) - Quite speedy, as seen in game

Traction: 0.05 - Slides on the ground a bit more than the average fighter

Gravity: 0.07 - Rather floaty, as seen on Mira

Number of Jumps: 2

Jump Heights

- Full Hop: 42 (Rank 5) - Quite high (due to Mira’s gravity)

- Midair: 30 (Rank 49) - Quite low (normal for a human)

- Short Hop: 20 (Rank 4) - Quite high (due to Mira’s gravity)

Air Speed: 1.13 (Rank 12) - Quite fast

Air Acceleration: (Base + Max Additional = Total): 0 + 0.05 = 0.05 Total - Midair turns are very slow, as seen on Mira

Fall Speed: 1.375 (Rank 43) - Slow faller, as seen on Mira

Fast Fall Speed: 2.2 (Rank 43)(60% faster than normal fall speed)

Air Friction: 0.007 (Rank 49-50) - Stopping in midair takes a bit of time

Hard Landing Lag: 5 frames - Just a bit more lag than many fighters

Sword length: Same as Marth’s/Lucina’s

Gun length: 1.25x the length of Bayonetta's. **this includes Elma's guns’ bayonets.**

Crouch walking? Yes

Wall jumping? Yes

Wall clinging? No

***Attacks' kill percentages are based on mid-screen Final Destination.***

Basic Attacks

Jab: Depending on weapon last used (default: swords), 3 sword strikes (left -> right -> both) or 6 gunshots (quick, ½ of a Battlefield platform in range)

- Swords damage: 2%, 2.5%, 4.5% Knockback: finisher has 4 (average for a sword jab), at ~30°

- Guns damage: 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 2% Knockback: finisher has 3, at ~30°

Swords: barely any lag

Guns: negligible lag

F-tilt: Side Slash—2 hits. First, swords stab forwards, pointed diagonally towards each other; second, they slice outwards horizontally. Double-tap or hold A for both strikes; tap for just one.

Damage: 2.5%, 5% Knockback: ~0 on first hit, 6 on second hit, at 25° *kills Mario ~140%*

Very little startup lag, a bit of end lag but only from doing second hit

*First hit combos into jab, grab, down smash, chains into side-B*

U-tilt: Upwards-facing f-tilt, but only has one input. Still 2 hits.

Damage: 2%, 6.5% Knockback: ~0 on first hit, 6.5 on second hit; launches from 75° to 105° depending on positioning *kills Mario ~130%*

A bit of startup lag and a bit more end lag

D-tilt: Crouches a bit and shoots a quick stream of 4 shots downwards at about a 30° angle of depression.

Damage: 1.5%, 1.5%, 1.5%, 2% Knockback: 2.5, at ~15°

Practically no startup lag; just a little end lag

*Low percents: combos into jab, grab, down smash*

*Chains into side-B*

Dash attack: Sliding Slinger—Slide on the ground a bit faster than her dash, shooting 5 times. Travel just past the length of a Battlefield platform.

Damage: 1.2%, 1.2%, 1.2%, 1.2%, 2% Knockback: 6.5, at 15° *kills Mario ~125%*

Only a little startup lag, but a small amount of end lag (about the same as u-tilt)

Aerials

N-air: Swings her swords around her similarly to Corrin’s n-air, auto-cancels.

Damage: 7% Knockback: 2, sends fighters at a 30°angle of depression from her (a.k.a. at 330°) but depends on positioning

Essentially no startup lag, but a bit of end lag if it isn’t auto-canceled

*Combos into jab, grab, d-tilt, f-tilt, d-smash*

*Chains into side-B, u-tilt, f-smash, u-smash, and itself*

F-air: Shoots 3 times (the hits don’t chain with each other), with a similar reach to Villager’s f-air, auto-cancels

Damage: 2%, 2%, 2% Knockback: 1.5, at a 15° angle of depression from her

A small bit of startup lag, equal end lag to n-air if not auto-canceled

*Chains into ranged jab*

U-air: Like U-tilt but in the air, two hits

Damage: 4.5%, 5.5% Knockback: 7, at from 75° to 105° depending on positioning (it always sends them somewhere above her) *kills Mario ~115%*

Notable startup lag, a bit of end lag

*Chains into itself, n-air, and sometimes up-B*

B-air: Swipes one sword backwards, with range similar to Ike’s b-air

Damage: 11% Knockback: 6.5, sends opponents at about a 5° angle upwards like Ike’s *kills Mario ~130%*

No startup lag, not much end lag but the second-most of Elma’s aerials

D-air: Shoots 5 bullets straight downwards

Damage: 2%, 2%, 2%, 2%, 3% Knockback: 1.5, mostly deals hitstun (no meteor)

A bit of startup lag, notable end lag (the most of Elma’s aerials)

Smash Attacks

F-smash: Hundred Shells—3 vertical slashes that propel 3 blades of wind forwards; their range is similar to Mega Man’s f-smash. The first two have hitstun, and the third deals knockback.

Base damage: 3%, 5.5%, 8% Damage range: from 16.5% to 25.5% Knockback: 9, at an angle of elevation of 30° *kills Mario ~85% uncharged*

Most startup lag of all moves (less obvious when charged)(about equal to Ike’s f-smash startup), and slight end lag (just a bit more than n-air and f-air)

U-smash: Points both guns upwards while charging, then fires a 4-shot spray from each one while moving them down 30° on either side of her (so it covers about the top 17% of her). A quick motion. Exactly two shots will connect with each fighter hit by it; the 2nd launches.

Base damage: 5%, 11% Damage range: from 16% to 24% Knockback: 8, sends fighters directly away from the gun (if it was pointed 75° up, they’d be launched at an angle of 75°.) *kills Mario ~95% uncharged*

A bit less startup lag than f-smash but a bit more end lag

D-smash: Crouches a bit and shoots 3 times on either side of her, pointed at a 15° angle of depression.

Base damage: 3%, 3%, 8% Damage range: from 14% to 20% Knockback: 7.5, at 45° *kills Mario ~100% uncharged*

Startup lag and end lag both equivalent to u-tilt (not much at all for a smash attack)

Dodges

Spot Dodge: Ghostwalker—Elma sidesteps slowly, blurred copies of herself materializing where she once was.

Activity frames: 34 (Rank 60)--the move is longer than any other spot dodge.

Invincibility: frames 4 to 28 (Rank 1)--since it’s the longest spot dodge, it has the most frames of invincibility.

A bit of end lag but no startup lag

Dodge Roll: Elma rolls forwards/backwards; generic animation.

Active frames:29 (~Rank 14)

Invincibility: frames 4 to 15 (~Rank 14)

Average lag on both ends

Air Dodge: A generic air dodge.

Active frames: 33 (Rank 19-35)

Invincibility: frames 3 to 27 (Rank 19-35)

Average lag on both ends

Grabs and Throws

Grab: Elma grabs her opponent with one hand. The range is average, like Marth’s.

Slightly faster than most grabs, but with just a bit more end lag

Pummel:

If guns active: Elma shoots once at the held opponent.

If swords active: Elma strikes once with her sword.

Guns damage: 1%; A bit of startup lag but very fast; however, grab release occurs sooner than with her sword active.

Swords damage: 2.2%; More lag on both ends of animation, but grab release is unaffected.

F-throw:

If guns active: Elma throws the opponent forwards and shoots them once. (2 hits)

If swords active: Elma strikes her opponent to help propel them forwards and away.

Guns damage: 3.5%, 1.5% Knockback: 5.5, at 30° *kills Mario ~166%*

Swords damage: 6.5% Knockback: 6.5, at 30° *kills Mario ~140%*

Very little lag for either move.

*Chains into f-air at low percents (easier with guns version)*

U-throw: Elma throws her opponent upwards as if doing an uppercut.

Damage: 5% Knockback: 3.5

*Combos into n-air, u-tilt (low percents), u-air (high percents)*

B-throw:

Guns: Elma whips around and hurls her enemy away, then shoots them as they soar off.

Swords: Elma whips around and hurls her enemy away, aided by the sword in her free hand.

Guns damage: 5.5%, 1.5% Knockback: 6.5, at 165° (they go just above horizontally) *kills Mario ~130%*

Swords damage: 8.5% Knockback: 7.5, at 165° *kills Mario ~100%*

D-throw: Elma throws her opponent at the ground; they are knocked diagonally up after hitting it.

Damage: 8% Knockback: 5—the opponent bounces away behind Elma at a 45° angle *kills Mario ~180%*

*Low percents: combos into b-air*

Specials

Neutral Special “Electric Surge”: A non-cancelable, non-reversible, chargeable attack. Charged with Elma’s swords above her like her u-tilt and with electricity sparking on them that deals damage every 5 frames. On releasing B, Elma stabs forward and a current of electricity is sent through the air (range between 1 and 2 Battlefield platforms long). It can be angled 15° up or down while charging. This damage is increased when Elma is at higher percents.

Damage while charging: 0.8 damage every 5 frames Knockback: ~0

Damage on release uncharged: 2%, 1%, 1%, 3% Knockback: 2, at 30°

Damage on release full charge: 4%, 2%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 2%, 4% Knockback: 4.5, at 45°

Noticeable startup lag when uncharged, but not too much

Full charge: notable end lag

Uncharged: very little end lag

Side Special “Stream Edge”: On release, Elma makes 4 sword strikes, like Marth’s Dancing Blade but slower—an input is needed for each. First she slices horizontally with her swords before spinning 360° while moving forwards, next she hops up and strikes again diagonally—almost vertically—hitting the ground with her swords. Then she swings her swords back up just behind her shoulder, dealing minor damage, and lands a last strong diagonal strike with both of them.
**Inputting back on the control stick or A will stop the move after its next hit or start your jab, respectively. This way you can combo the first three hits of Stream Edge into another attack like f-tilt or jab, without it being hard like Dancing Blade.

Damage: 3%, 4%, 1%, 7% Knockback (4th hit): 8, at 45° *kills Mario ~95%*

Notable startup lag, like Ike’s uncharged u-smash

End lag:

Only 1 hit: a bit of lag, equal to u-tilt

First 2 hits: a bit more lag than 1 hit, equal to u-smash

First 3 hits: very little lag

All 4 hits: a bit more lag than her

*1st 3 hits combo into jab, grab, f-tilt, d-tilt*

Up Special “Shadowstrike”: Elma leaps into the air. Pressing B again at the climax of the jump will have her stab with her swords diagonally downwards (angle of depression: 45°)

Damage:

11% sweetspot (small area), meteors opponents 45° downwards *meteor kills Mario ~75%

8% sourspot, sends enemy down at 330° Knockback: 5.5 *kills Mario ~166%*

Little startup lag, super armor during most of startup, a bit of end lag only if her attack is triggered

Down Special “Overdrive”: Charge or activate Overdrive when at 1000 TP. Charging from zero takes ~15 seconds. Overdrive itself lasts 15 seconds, during which Elma’s moves are slightly blurry and she is surrounded by rings of blue light. Its effects stop immediately after the 15 seconds.

How TP is gained:

Each hit from a tilt, aerial, or throw that connects with an opponent gives 25 TP.

Each hit from a smash attack or special that connects with an opponent takes away 25 TP.

Up-taunt gives 100 TP.

Each hit she takes gives 10 TP.

When activated, Elma sometimes says, “I’m putting an end to this!”

Buffs:

Deal about 15% more damage

Move about 10% faster

About 10% less lag on moves

About 10% more knockback on moves

Basically no lag except the animation itself

Final Smash “Aghasura Cannon”: Elma boards the original Ares skell in the background of the stage, charges its Aghasura Cannon, targets an area, and blasts away for essentially a 1-hit KO.

Damage: 58%

Taunts, Victory Animations, and Poses

Up Taunt: Elma spins her guns in her hands, then pulls them back up close and leans back. It should reflect the animation of Primer in XCX.

Victory Screen #1: Elma holsters her weapons in the animation seen at the end of a battle in XCX, and says, “Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.”

Side Taunt: Elma puts one hand on her hip.

Victory Screen #2: Elma uses Sliding Slinger and then stands up and holds one of the guns up.

Down Taunt: Elma says, “It didn’t have to be like this,” holding one hand against her hip and the other in front of her, palm face up in the common gesture, then draws her weapons.

Victory Screen #3: Stands with one hand on her hip. “You had your chance.”

Palette Swaps

Default (red, white, light pale indigo)

Combat armor colors (navy, gray, and purple)

Vivid armor colors (olive green, white, and orange)

Valor armor colors (blue, teal, silver, and green)

Forza armor colors (orange, white, silver, and navy)

Reginal armor colors (black, white, and salmon)

Ultra Infinite armor colors (gold, silver, and black)

Elma’s True Form—all black (design of outfit is the same as default, though); purple/pale blue color hair; pale skin

Here's the reddit post.
https://old.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8ywx2i/if_elma_actually_makes_it_to_smash/

Also if Melephs_Hat is a user here I wanna say amazing post

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman

In Xenoblade Chronicles X, Elma is one of many people that left Earth just prior to its destruction via one particular space ship, Noah's Ark style. That ship crash-landed eventually on the planet that the game takes place on, and the people who were stranded with the ship built up their makeshift city and started to make a living there. The main problem was, the Lifehold, a part of the ship vital to their survival, broke off from the rest of the ship when it crashed, so they had to go looking for it. Elma was not only in the military before leaving Earth; she is a BLADE captain (which is what they call their makeshift survival-focused government), the leader of the Reclaimers division. In the game, she is all but the main character, as the avatar themself has no personality. Her team is on the front lines searching for said Lifehold basically all game. Duty and impartial kindness tend to be Elma's intrinsic character, though her darker and more difficult emotions sometimes cause her to aid the common good in a more headstrong, shut-off manner rather than using logic as normal for her.

Why would she even be in SmUsh? (for skeptics and unsure onlookers, among others)

Basically, the argument is that (a) she fits well, (b) she's a unique fighter, (c) XCX came out around when Sakurai was working on Sm4sh DLC (and, probably, SmUsh), (d) Xenoblade 2 finalized its character designs right around when Sakurai finalized the roster so XC2 may not get a rep, and (e) I'm biased.

But this is all speculation anyway, so for those who would want to know more, here's everything I came up with on the topic.

Reveal Trailer Pitch:

Samus, Fox, and Kirby, flying in space, are shot at by something offscreen. It connects with all of them, sending them careening down to another planet. When they get out, blueish trails streak through the sky, a silhouette passing by in the air too fast to see. The group investigates the source, but when they uncover the skell, they’re shot at from behind. They turn around, and there she is—Elma. She speaks: “Let’s see what you got.”

Elma’s basic strategy is to evade as much damage as possible, irritating her enemy at range and swooping in for quick combos when punishing. Her moves are generally fast and lower on damage (battles in XCX can take ten minutes), so it’s necessary for her to take advantage of every opening that’s possible. Indecisiveness is a bad habit when playing as Elma, as her speed will be hampered by her momentum if you try to change directions too often. She kills at fairly early percents, but it’s a grind to rack up opponents’ damage percentages; reads and punishes are necessary to get her damage combos. Of course, don’t worry about being punished too often—just dash into the fray, disrupt an attack or seize an opening, and then streak away again.

Stats (based on SSB4)

Jump Heights

Air Acceleration: (Base + Max Additional = Total): 0 + 0.05 = 0.05 Total - Midair turns are very slow, as seen on Mira

Gun length: 1.25x the length of Bayonetta's. **this includes Elma's guns’ bayonets.**

Crouch walking? Yes

Wall jumping? Yes

Wall clinging? No

Basic Attacks

Jab: Depending on weapon last used (default: swords), 3 sword strikes (left -> right -> both) or 6 gunshots (quick, ½ of a Battlefield platform in range)

- Swords damage: 2%, 2.5%, 4.5% Knockback: finisher has 4 (average for a sword jab), at ~30°

F-tilt: Side Slash—2 hits. First, swords stab forwards, pointed diagonally towards each other; second, they slice outwards horizontally. Double-tap or hold A for both strikes; tap for just one.

Damage: 2.5%, 5% Knockback: ~0 on first hit, 6 on second hit, at 25° *kills Mario ~140%*

Damage: 2%, 6.5% Knockback: ~0 on first hit, 6.5 on second hit; launches from 75° to 105° depending on positioning *kills Mario ~130%*

D-tilt: Crouches a bit and shoots a quick stream of 4 shots downwards at about a 30° angle of depression.

*Chains into side-B*

Dash attack: Sliding Slinger—Slide on the ground a bit faster than her dash, shooting 5 times. Travel just past the length of a Battlefield platform.

Only a little startup lag, but a small amount of end lag (about the same as u-tilt)

Aerials

Damage: 7% Knockback: 2, sends fighters at a 30°angle of depression from her (a.k.a. at 330°) but depends on positioning

F-air: Shoots 3 times (the hits don’t chain with each other), with a similar reach to Villager’s f-air, auto-cancels

*Chains into ranged jab*

Damage: 4.5%, 5.5% Knockback: 7, at from 75° to 105° depending on positioning (it always sends them somewhere above her) *kills Mario ~115%*

Damage: 11% Knockback: 6.5, sends opponents at about a 5° angle upwards like Ike’s *kills Mario ~130%*

Smash Attacks

F-smash: Hundred Shells—3 vertical slashes that propel 3 blades of wind forwards; their range is similar to Mega Man’s f-smash. The first two have hitstun, and the third deals knockback.

Base damage: 3%, 5.5%, 8% Damage range: from 16.5% to 25.5% Knockback: 9, at an angle of elevation of 30° *kills Mario ~85% uncharged*

Most startup lag of all moves (less obvious when charged)(about equal to Ike’s f-smash startup), and slight end lag (just a bit more than n-air and f-air)

U-smash: Points both guns upwards while charging, then fires a 4-shot spray from each one while moving them down 30° on either side of her (so it covers about the top 17% of her). A quick motion. Exactly two shots will connect with each fighter hit by it; the 2nd launches.

Base damage: 5%, 11% Damage range: from 16% to 24% Knockback: 8, sends fighters directly away from the gun (if it was pointed 75° up, they’d be launched at an angle of 75°.) *kills Mario ~95% uncharged*

D-smash: Crouches a bit and shoots 3 times on either side of her, pointed at a 15° angle of depression.

Base damage: 3%, 3%, 8% Damage range: from 14% to 20% Knockback: 7.5, at 45° *kills Mario ~100% uncharged*

Startup lag and end lag both equivalent to u-tilt (not much at all for a smash attack)

Dodges

Spot Dodge: Ghostwalker—Elma sidesteps slowly, blurred copies of herself materializing where she once was.

Invincibility: frames 4 to 28 (Rank 1)--since it’s the longest spot dodge, it has the most frames of invincibility.

Average lag on both ends

Average lag on both ends

Grabs and Throws

Grab: Elma grabs her opponent with one hand. The range is average, like Marth’s.

Pummel:

Guns damage: 1%; A bit of startup lag but very fast; however, grab release occurs sooner than with her sword active.

Swords damage: 2.2%; More lag on both ends of animation, but grab release is unaffected.

F-throw:

If guns active: Elma throws the opponent forwards and shoots them once. (2 hits)

If swords active: Elma strikes her opponent to help propel them forwards and away.

B-throw:

Guns: Elma whips around and hurls her enemy away, then shoots them as they soar off.

Swords: Elma whips around and hurls her enemy away, aided by the sword in her free hand.

Guns damage: 5.5%, 1.5% Knockback: 6.5, at 165° (they go just above horizontally) *kills Mario ~130%*

D-throw: Elma throws her opponent at the ground; they are knocked diagonally up after hitting it.

Damage: 8% Knockback: 5—the opponent bounces away behind Elma at a 45° angle *kills Mario ~180%*

Specials

Neutral Special “Electric Surge”: A non-cancelable, non-reversible, chargeable attack. Charged with Elma’s swords above her like her u-tilt and with electricity sparking on them that deals damage every 5 frames. On releasing B, Elma stabs forward and a current of electricity is sent through the air (range between 1 and 2 Battlefield platforms long). It can be angled 15° up or down while charging. This damage is increased when Elma is at higher percents.

Damage on release full charge: 4%, 2%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 2%, 4% Knockback: 4.5, at 45°

Side Special “Stream Edge”: On release, Elma makes 4 sword strikes, like Marth’s Dancing Blade but slower—an input is needed for each. First she slices horizontally with her swords before spinning 360° while moving forwards, next she hops up and strikes again diagonally—almost vertically—hitting the ground with her swords. Then she swings her swords back up just behind her shoulder, dealing minor damage, and lands a last strong diagonal strike with both of them.
**Inputting back on the control stick or A will stop the move after its next hit or start your jab, respectively. This way you can combo the first three hits of Stream Edge into another attack like f-tilt or jab, without it being hard like Dancing Blade.

End lag:

Up Special “Shadowstrike”: Elma leaps into the air. Pressing B again at the climax of the jump will have her stab with her swords diagonally downwards (angle of depression: 45°)

Damage:

11% sweetspot (small area), meteors opponents 45° downwards *meteor kills Mario ~75%

Little startup lag, super armor during most of startup, a bit of end lag only if her attack is triggered

Down Special “Overdrive”: Charge or activate Overdrive when at 1000 TP. Charging from zero takes ~15 seconds. Overdrive itself lasts 15 seconds, during which Elma’s moves are slightly blurry and she is surrounded by rings of blue light. Its effects stop immediately after the 15 seconds.

How TP is gained:

Each hit from a tilt, aerial, or throw that connects with an opponent gives 25 TP.

Each hit from a smash attack or special that connects with an opponent takes away 25 TP.

Up-taunt gives 100 TP.

Buffs:

Move about 10% faster

Final Smash “Aghasura Cannon”: Elma boards the original Ares skell in the background of the stage, charges its Aghasura Cannon, targets an area, and blasts away for essentially a 1-hit KO.

Up Taunt: Elma spins her guns in her hands, then pulls them back up close and leans back. It should reflect the animation of Primer in XCX.

Victory Screen #1: Elma holsters her weapons in the animation seen at the end of a battle in XCX, and says, “Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.”

Victory Screen #2: Elma uses Sliding Slinger and then stands up and holds one of the guns up.

Down Taunt: Elma says, “It didn’t have to be like this,” holding one hand against her hip and the other in front of her, palm face up in the common gesture, then draws her weapons.

Palette Swaps

Elma’s True Form—all black (design of outfit is the same as default, though); purple/pale blue color hair; pale skin

Here's the reddit post.
https://old.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8ywx2i/if_elma_actually_makes_it_to_smash/

This is amazing! It's so well thought out and detailed! I love it!!!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Reveal Trailer Pitch:

Stats (based on SSB4)

Jump Heights

Crouch walking? Yes

Wall jumping? Yes

Wall clinging? No

Basic Attacks

*Chains into side-B*

Aerials

*Chains into ranged jab*

Smash Attacks

Dodges

Average lag on both ends

Average lag on both ends

Grabs and Throws

Pummel:

F-throw:

B-throw:

Specials

End lag:

Damage:

How TP is gained:

Up-taunt gives 100 TP.

Buffs:

Move about 10% faster

Palette Swaps

Here's the reddit post.

hmm, I’d still think her true form outfit would receive some...modifications, and I’m not just talking about the infamous “booty window”. I think her breasts and area close to the crotch may use a bit more covering up like they did with female Corrin’s Smash outfit (even though Corrin’s breasts were already sufficiently covered); I may make a mock-up edit in Paint/Photoshop later.

Also dat Final Smash. I approve. :denzel:

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Reveal Trailer Pitch:

Stats (based on SSB4)

Jump Heights

Crouch walking? Yes

Wall jumping? Yes

Wall clinging? No

Basic Attacks

*Chains into side-B*

Aerials

*Chains into ranged jab*

Smash Attacks

Dodges

Average lag on both ends

Average lag on both ends

Grabs and Throws

Pummel:

F-throw:

B-throw:

Specials

End lag:

Damage:

How TP is gained:

Up-taunt gives 100 TP.

Buffs:

Move about 10% faster

Palette Swaps

Here's the reddit post.

Cool moveset I like it, but how do you change between the guns and swords?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I would like to think that Elma has her weapons stowed away by default, and has some attacks that use the swords and some that use the guns and she pulls them out as needed, much like Shulk?

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
I would like to think that Elma has her weapons stowed away by default, and has some attacks that use the swords and some that use the guns and she pulls them out as needed, much like Shulk?
100% agree. I'm expecting her to be fast like ZSS. So I'm expecting alot of kicks In her standard moves

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
hey yall, I just finished XCX yesterday after being in a 2 year rut not of not finishing it and I am so glad I finally got around to it bc now I am 100% HERE for Elma and she's my most wanted newcomer. she's such a unique character fighting-wise and story-wise and I'd love to be added to the supporters list!

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
hey yall, I just finished XCX yesterday after being in a 2 year rut not of not finishing it and I am so glad I finally got around to it bc now I am 100% HERE for Elma and she's my most wanted newcomer. she's such a unique character fighting-wise and story-wise and I'd love to be added to the supporters list!
Welcome to the flock S.F.L.R_9 S.F.L.R_9

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I'm bored at work, so I decided to try my hand at making a Snake CODEC and Palutena's Guidance for Elma since there's a chance both of them may be returning. Full disclosure, I've only played one MGS game for about 10 minutes (something I hope to rectify soon) so forgive me if Snake's is a little out of character.

Snake: "Otacon, what can you tell me about this Elmo woman?"

Otacon: "You know it's pronounced Elma, Snake. Show a little respect, she is a colonel after all."

Snake: "Just what I need, another colonel."

Otacon: "Well you can relax, she's here to fight, not to give orders. Speaking of which, here's what I know about her; Elma uses a high speed, high mobility fighting style called Full Metal Jaguar, which incorporates the use of both dual swords and guns. If she gets by your defenses, she can rack up damage fast."

Snake: "Full Metal Jaguar, huh? Sounds like a FOXHOUND operative to me."

Otacon: "Trust me, she's not, but don't think she couldn't be if she tried. Elma's a survivor, like you. She's from an alternate Earth that was destroyed by an alien menace called the Ganglion. She managed to escape onboard a ship called the White Whale which crash landed on the planet Mira. She's been fighting hostile indigenous species, and the Ganglion hunting the rest of humanity ever since."

Snake: "So she's a tough nut then. This should be fun."

Otacon: "Tough is right, but what you really need to watch out for is her Overdrive. She'll activate it if she builds up enough tension points, and once active, her movement and damage output is increased. If you see her start to glow blue, don't try to fight her, just keep her at bay with your explosives and projectiles. Overdrive only lasts a few moments, but Elma is a pro, she'll make every second count."

Snake: "Got it, thanks Otacon. Maybe once we're done I can get a look at those swords. I always meant to take more bladed weapon training."

Otacon: "Snake..."

Palutena: "Looks like Elma's joined the battle."

Pit: "Yeah, you think she's 'really feeling it'?"

Viridi: "You'll be 'really feeling' those guns of hers if you don't focus, Pit."

Pit: "Woah, wait, GUNS!? That doesn't sound very E for Everyone!"

Palutena: "Calm down, Pit. I didn't exactly send you out there unarmed, now did I?"

Pit: "You're right! I've got my Guardian Orbitars and the Upperdash Arm, both of those should take care of any pesky projectiles!"

Viridi: "Sure, but those swords on her back don't look like a fun time for you either. Spend too much time trying to fight her at range, and she'll just change tactics."

Palutena: "She's right, Pit. Elma is a professional soldier who's extremely adaptable to any situation. You'll just have to beat her at her own game; if she tries to rush you down with melee attacks, keep her at bay with your arrows. If she tries to keep some distance between you, get in close with your Upperdash Arm."

Pit: "Got it! I'm so lucky to have you on my side, Lady Palutena!"

Viridi: "What am I, chopped Monoeye?"

Palutena: "That's sweet, Pit, but Elma isn't exactly alone out here either. If she gets a Smash Ball, she'll call down her Skell and her teammates, Lin and Cross, for a combined attack. Those three have been through a lot together, and they're just as effective at fighting as a team as you and I are."

Pit: "Man, it is SO unfair that she gets to have a mech."

Palutena: "Well, you did have one, but then you trashed it in the fight with Hades, remember?"

Pit: "Oh yeah, the Great Sacred Treasure! Hey, do you think Elma's friend, Lin, could help fix it? I hear she's good with those kinds of things."

Viridi: "You want to ask a human to fix a divine weapon forged by a god?"

Pit: "Well, I mean, you know... it can't hurt to ask, right?"

Last edited:

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
I'm bored at work, so I decided to try my hand at making a Snake CODEC and Palutena's Guidance for Elma since there's a chance both of them may be returning. Full disclosure, I've only played one MGS game for about 10 minutes (something I hope to rectify soon) so forgive me is Snake's is a little out of character.

Snake: "Otacon, what can you tell me about this Elmo woman?"

Otacon: "You know it's pronounced Elma, Snake. Show a little respect, she is a colonel after all."

Snake: "Just what I need, another colonel."

Otacon: "Well you can relax, she's here to fight, not to give orders. Speaking of which, here's what I know about her; Elma uses a high speed, high mobility fighting style called Full Metal Jaguar, which incorporates the use of both dual swords and guns. If she gets by your defenses, she can rack up damage fast."

Snake: "Full Metal Jaguar, huh? Sounds like a FOXHOUND operative to me."

Otacon: "Trust me, she's not, but don't think she couldn't be if she tried. Elma's a survivor, like you. She's from an alternate Earth that was destroyed by an alien menace called the Ganglion. She managed to escape onboard a ship called the White Whale which crash landed on the planet Mira. She's been fighting hostile indigenous species, and the Ganglion hunting the rest of humanity ever since."

Snake: "So she's a tough nut then. This should be fun."

Otacon: "Tough is right, but what you really need to watch out for is her Overdrive. She'll activate it if she builds up enough tension points, and once active, her movement and damage output is increased. If you see her start to glow blue, don't try to fight her, just keep her at bay with your explosives and projectiles. Overdrive only lasts a few moments, but Elma is a pro, she'll make every second count."

Snake: "Got it, thanks Otacon. Maybe once we're done I can get a look at those swords. I always meant to take more bladed weapon training."

Otacon: "Snake..."

Palutena: "Looks like Elma's joined the battle."

Pit: "Yeah, you think she's 'really feeling it'?"

Viridi: "You'll be 'really feeling' those guns of hers if you don't focus, Pit."

Pit: "Woah, wait, GUNS!? That doesn't sound very E for Everyone!"

Palutena: "Calm down, Pit. I didn't exactly send you out there unarmed, now did I?"

Pit: "You're right! I've got my Guardian Orbitars and the Upperdash Arm, both of those should take care of any pesky projectiles!"

Viridi: "Sure, but those swords on her back don't look like a fun time for you either. Spend too much time trying to fight her at range, and she'll just change tactics."

Palutena: "She's right, Pit. Elma is a professional soldier who's extremely adaptable to any situation. You'll just have to beat her at her own game; if she tries to rush you down with melee attacks, keep her at bay with your arrows. If she tries to keep some distance between you, get in close with your Upperdash Arm."

Pit: "Got it! I'm so lucky to have you on my side, Lady Palutena!"

Viridi: "What am I, chopped Monoeye?"

Palutena: "That's sweet, Pit, but Elma isn't exactly alone out here either. If she gets a Smash Ball, she'll call down her Skell and her teammates, Lin and Cross, for a combined attack. Those three have been through a lot together, and they're just as effective at fighting as a team as you and I are."

Pit: "Man, it is SO unfair that she gets to have a mech."

Palutena: "Well, you did have one, but then you trashed it in the fight with Hades, remember?"

Pit: "Oh yeah, the Great Sacred Treasure! Hey, do you think Elma's friend, Lin, could help fix it? I hear she's good with those kinds of things."

Viridi: "You want to ask a human to fix a divine weapon forged by a god?"

Pit: "Well, I mean, you know... it can't hurt to ask, right?"
Nicely written!

On a related note, I imagine Viridi wouldn't think too fondly of Elma, since she helped save the human race.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Nicely written!

On a related note, I imagine Viridi wouldn't think too fondly of Elma, since she helped save the human race.
Thank you! And yeah, I though about adding a line about Viridi and humans, but I think she'd feel conflicted since lots of humans are dead (yay), but the Ganglion decided to blow up the whole planet in the process (boo).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just imagine though, if you will:

An Elma amiibo.

:love:

Especially since it’ll likely be the same quality as the amiibos for Wolf, Inkling and Ridley <3

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Well, I was bored too so I wanted to make a Snake Codec for Elma just like FrostShock FrostShock !

I wanted to use Mei Ling since she is the one with the most emotional and sensitive conversations, and she is also rarely used in fan made codecs for some reasons. I really hope you like it ^^

Snake: Mei Ling, is that Elma?

Mei Ling: That is right Snake. She played a major role in the human race's escape from Earth when it was destroyed by the Ganglion.

Snake: What she did is truly admirable. She deserves her title of Colonel.

Mei Ling: She is now a member of BLADE, and organization made with the purpose of knowing and colonizing Mira, the planet where they crashed. Isn't it inspiring? That even after they lost everything, they still try their hardest to survive.

Snake: War and its destruction will never prevent mankind from passing our culture, our feelings, our messy and sad history to the next generation. Earth might be gone, but not its traces of life. Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same. That's what I live for. I should probably thank her later after this battle...

Mei Ling: Wow...that is quite a speech, Snake...

An Elma amiibo.

Especially since it’ll likely be the same quality as the amiibos for Wolf, Inkling and Ridley <3
Not going to lie, I've been wanting an Elma amiibo since Xenoblade X came out. I really hoped they would have integrated them in the game trough an update...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well, I was bored too so I wanted to make a Snake Codec for Elma just like FrostShock FrostShock !

I wanted to use Mei Ling since she is the one with the most emotional and sensitive conversations, and she is also rarely used in fan made codecs for some reasons. I really hope you like it ^^

Snake: Mei Ling, is that Elma?

Mei Ling: That is right Snake. She played a major role in the human race's escape from Earth when it was destroyed by the Ganglion.

Snake: What she did is truly admirable. She deserves her title of Colonel.

Mei Ling: She is now a member of BLADE, and organization made with the purpose of knowing and colonizing Mira, the planet where they crashed. Isn't it inspiring? That even after they lost everything, they still try their hardest to survive.

Snake: War and its destruction will never prevent mankind from passing our culture, our feelings, our messy and sad history to the next generation. Earth might be gone, but not its traces of life. Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same. That's what I live for. I should probably thank her later after this battle...

Mei Ling: Wow...that is quite a speech, Snake...

Not going to lie, I've been wanting an Elma amiibo since Xenoblade X came out. I really hoped they would have integrated them in the game trough an update...
I’d like to think that if X receives a Switch port, it would (and should) have amiibo support.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard

An Elma amiibo.

I've been trying not to think about it, it makes me too excited. Hopefully Nintendo is better about stocking them this time around, I dont think I ever saw Cloud, Bayo or Ryu after their initial release. But on the other hand, I was at Best Buy just the other day, and the shelves were stuffed with Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey amiibos, and they still had some Off the Hook ones too. So MAYBE this time will be different.

Mind you, I'll still do whatever I need to to get Elma, even if I need to be dropped off a plane into a deserted island to fight people to the death for one, Battle Royale style.

Last edited:

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
I've been replaying XCX recently for the 3rd or 4th time, mostly inspired by this thread, the game really has exceptional replay value for a long JRPG, all of my attempts to replay XC1 and XC2 end in me playing for a few hours and getting bored as without the wonder of what's next the gameplay struggles to push me forward, even if I love XC1 and like XC2 a lot. XCX has so much to dig in to that you learn and discover new things every time you play, along with trying new builds.
Good game Samurai pls put Elmo in smash, I'll buy everything

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman

An Elma amiibo.

I've been thinking of an Elma Amiibo as well!
Honestly, an Elma Amiibo will probably be the only Amiibo I ever pre order, I want it so much!

And yea, I think X will have Amiibo compatibility in the Switch port.
At the very least, with the Elma Amiibo.
But the question is:
Will it only be compatible with Elma?
And what will scanning an Amiibo even do?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I've been thinking of an Elma Amiibo as well!
Honestly, an Elma Amiibo will probably be the only Amiibo I ever pre order, I want it so much!

And yea, I think X will have Amiibo compatibility in the Switch port.
At the very least, with the Elma Amiibo.
But the question is:
Will it only be compatible with Elma?
And what will scanning an Amiibo even do?
I don't really know what they could do with an Elma amiibo in X...but I have some ideas for other amiibo

I think that some amiibo could unlock some outfits for the characters (like Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Link, Captain Falcon...) while the Shulk amiibo should let you recruit him.

All the other ones could always give you some items.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I don't really know what they could do with an Elma amiibo in X...but I have some ideas for other amiibo

I think that some amiibo could unlock some outfits for the characters (like Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Link, Captain Falcon...) while the Shulk amiibo should let you recruit him.

All the other ones could always give you some items.
I could see that, but I don't know about the Shulk one. I don't know if they'd program an entirely new character in for the port, but idk.
Also, Shulk doesn't use a gun, so idk what he would use in game.
It's a really neat idea though, I'd like to see how they'd integrate it.

And maybe the Elma Amiibo would, once a day, give you a full affinity heart with a character of your choosing? That would be really helpful, but I guess that would make it kind of useless after you already have max affinity with everyone, so Idk

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It'd be cool if you could use the Smash amiibos to unlock Skells based on various fighters like these pics here.

Though the thought of Elma potentially getting a Skell based on her own amiibo makes me lol. :p

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I could see that, but I don't know about the Shulk one. I don't know if they'd program an entirely new character in for the port, but idk.
Also, Shulk doesn't use a gun, so idk what he would use in game.
It's a really neat idea though, I'd like to see how they'd integrate it.

And maybe the Elma Amiibo would, once a day, give you a full affinity heart with a character of your choosing? That would be really helpful, but I guess that would make it kind of useless after you already have max affinity with everyone, so Idk
I can think of bonuses for Amiibo of (some of) the X playable cast (for use with X only, although Elma’s hypothetical Smash amiibo would have the same effect as her X one):
Cross (if they get an amiibo): change your Cross’s appearance at any time without visiting Yardley’s machine at night (must have unlocked said machine, however)
Elma: instant Affinity gain with any member of your choice
Lin: refuels all active skells (has a cool down of I’d say 1 hour)
Lao: instantly harvests Miranium according to your probe setup (cool down of 1 hour)
L: like Lao, but with credits (same cool down period)
Gwin: EXP and Class XP x2 for 30 minutes (cooldown of another 30 minutes)
Bozé: increased item drop rate for 30 mins (same cooldown as Gwin)
Yelv: brings everyone’s TP to MAX (cool down of 45 minutes)

No idea for the others...any ideas?

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I can think of bonuses for Amiibo of (some of) the X playable cast (for use with X only, although Elma’s hypothetical Smash amiibo would have the same effect as her X one):
Cross (if they get an amiibo): change your Cross’s appearance at any time without visiting Yardley’s machine at night (must have unlocked said machine, however)
Elma: instant Affinity gain with any member of your choice
Lin: refuels all active skells (has a cool down of I’d say 1 hour)
Lao: instantly harvests Miranium according to your probe setup (cool down of 1 hour)
L: like Lao, but with credits (same cool down period)
Gwin: EXP and Class XP x2 for 30 minutes (cooldown of another 30 minutes)
Bozé: increased item drop rate for 30 mins (same cooldown as Gwin)
Yelv: brings everyone’s TP to MAX (cool down of 45 minutes)

No idea for the others...any ideas?
I love those ideas!
As for Lin though, I think she'd be like a salvage ticket. Each hour, she could salvage a Skell for you, if you don't have anymore salvage tickets, or just don't want to use them.
I think Alexa would be the one to refuel all your skells, with probably the same cooldown time as Lin
And Hope could heal all party members with a cooldown of an hour

That's all the ideas I got.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Thought of some more X amiibo concepts:

Celica - changes time any time you want (slight nod to the cut Qlurian, Neilnail, and the fact that the time attack only enemies, Neilnail Albus and Furvus, can manipulate time)
HB - for 30 minutes, all Overdrives started within this time period start at a count of 50/Skell overdrives last twice as long (cool down period of 50 minutes)

I was thinking other amiibos can give division benefits without the appropriate member of the division in your party but idk who...

Last edited:

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...with_nintendos_bill_trinen_and_nate_bihldorff

By now, a lot of you have probably seen this Nintendo Life interview with Bill Trinen and Nate Bihldorff (and if you haven't, well... here it is). The important part is when they're asked if there will be more characters announced between now and launch, Bill responds with "We can answer that when we get closer to December." and then swiftly moves on. So pretty standard PR stuff, it COULD mean we won't see another reveal for a while, or it could just be the canned response that Nintendo told Bill he's allowed to give to the question they knew was going to come up.

It does remind me of something that's been on my mind for a while though, do you think Sakurai will break tradition and reveal every character before launch? Part of me thinks he might just to avoid another ESRB leak situation (Capcom has pretty much given up on keeping characters a secret since they just get leaked anyway). But at the same time, he's pretty old fashioned, and he likes surprising his audience and making them happy, and not much makes people happier than a surprise appearance from their favorite character.

So that leads me to a question I'd like to ask; if Elma isn't revealed before release, but it seems likely that we haven't been given all of the newcomers, will you try to go on a media blackout until you unlock everyone? I actually usually like to take in everything I can before playing (aside from story spoilers) so I can know what I'm getting into, but if we only get a couple newcomer reveals before launch and none of them are Elma... well, I think I'll actually make the effort to cut myself off from social media and my usual gaming news sites (and my friends, since I know they'd spoil it for me).

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...with_nintendos_bill_trinen_and_nate_bihldorff

By now, a lot of you have probably seen this Nintendo Life interview with Bill Trinen and Nate Bihldorff (and if you haven't, well... here it is). The important part is when they're asked if there will be more characters announced between now and launch, Bill responds with "We can answer that when we get closer to December." and then swiftly moves on. So pretty standard PR stuff, it COULD mean we won't see another reveal for a while, or it could just be the canned response that Nintendo told Bill he's allowed to give to the question they knew was going to come up.

It does remind me of something that's been on my mind for a while though, do you think Sakurai will break tradition and reveal every character before launch? Part of me thinks he might just to avoid another ESRB leak situation (Capcom has pretty much given up on keeping characters a secret since they just get leaked anyway). But at the same time, he's pretty old fashioned, and he likes surprising his audience and making them happy, and not much makes people happier than a surprise appearance from their favorite character.

So that leads me to a question I'd like to ask; if Elma isn't revealed before release, but it seems likely that we haven't been given all of the newcomers, will you try to go on a media blackout until you unlock everyone? I actually usually like to take in everything I can before playing (aside from story spoilers) so I can know what I'm getting into, but if we only get a couple newcomer reveals before launch and none of them are Elma... well, I think I'll actually make the effort to cut myself off from social media and my usual gaming news sites (and my friends, since I know they'd spoil it for me).
I'm absolutely planning to go off the Smash grid. With so many to unlock, it's the perfect chance to sneak in a few surprises through what's probably going to become a monotonous process. I just don't know how far in advance I'll need to disappear since the ESRB leak came out a month and a half before my country got to play Smash 4. I'd go insane if I had to wait that long but I know I'd be putting spoilers at risk the longer I stay.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
According to the recent likelihood poll that was being discussed on the Ultimate Social thread, Rex is believed to be the number one most likely character to be in the game by Japanese participants. Elma wasn't even an honorable mention in the top 20. Japan seems dead set that X will be skipped over in favor of Xenoblade 2 for being the series' red headed stepchild.

How do you all feel about this? It has no official credibility, but it is pretty alarming to see the distinction.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
According to the recent likelihood poll that was being discussed on the Ultimate Social thread, Rex is believed to be the number one most likely character to be in the game by Japanese participants. Elma wasn't even an honorable mention in the top 20. Japan seems dead set that X will be skipped over in favor of Xenoblade 2 for being the series' red headed stepchild.

How do you all feel about this? It has no official credibility, but it is pretty alarming to see the distinction.
Doesn't bother me at all. Fans' opinions of likelihood don't determine who's in the game. They likely aren't aware that the project plan was completed in 2015.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I think people will be in for a shock, but a lot of people don't think about stuff like project plans and development times so it's not surprising people think that, I'm pretty convinced we won't be seeing any xenoblade 2 content apart from maybe trophies in the base game.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

I wouldn't take this as an indication of what the Japanese fanbase wants in general. It was only one magazine, no? With a sample size that only got its information from its readers, I'm pretty sure they were mostly just casual fans who assumed the hottest new characters right now had a strong chance of appearing in the game's roster, especially since XC2 was released on the much more popular Switch whereas XCX is only on the dead Wii U. Also, like the others said before me, it doesn't really matter since not only was the roster likely finalized in 2015, but that Monolith said they were happy with XCX's reception and sales and that they're interested in making both a XCX port on the Switch and a sequel, which will help keep it relevant in the long run.

Last edited:
Top Bottom