• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Alpswat

Smash Cadet
If Elma was in would you think she would have the same Insignia as Shulk?

Personally i would love it would could get a stylized X to represent all Xenoblade's games
Wouldn't be surprised really. While it could be redundant, Technically Wario and Yoshi are Super Mario characters and they have their own logo because they also have their saga for themselves (Wario Ware and Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Woolly World). If you compare these games are pretty differently and makes sense.
For example, Fire Emblem, each hero has his own game, but they don't appear in other games (maybe cameos but that's it). So they all have the exact same logo, the difference between these two examples is that they don't appear in more than one game (Ike as exception) and also, they all are practically represented with that sword because all of them are swordfighters in one way or another.
Also, gameplay-related, that Yoshi's and Wario's games are very different from Super Mario Games, unlike Fire Emblem ones, yes, some gameplay mechanics change but the game itself is what it is.

Having these two things in mind, it's a bit weird, because following the "rules", theorically are different games, so it's a bit weird that Elma could be represented with the Monado, but Xenoblade X is much more different than Xenoblade 1 in terms of story and exploration but in terms of gameplay have some similarities.

Personally I'd rather have both, i think the second logo fits a lot better for Elma and the first one for Shulk. But I wouldn't mind at all if Elma is represented with the first one. After all, Elma in Smash is the best thing that can happen for me in this game. Although i'm keeping my expectations low.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I soured on Source Gaming a lot recently, between the underrating of Bandana Dee by putting so much emphasis on the 'goomba in a hat' argument, to that part of the Elma one, to making the Sakurai Didn't Say That about Zelda AKCHUWALLY being the design from ALttP because look at all these similarities it's not at all ALBW ignore those similarities. It's really pushed that they're not afraid of using their own interpretations and opinions a bit more factually than they should.
Yeah, they seem to sometime enforce their interpretation a bit too much.
I remember having several discussions with one of them (not going to say the name for privacy) who thought that the 3DS wasn't the sole reason Ice Climbers were cut from Smash For, but that 8 Player Smash in the Wii U version also had a role on that because "the Wii U can't handle 16 characters", by pointing out some changes in stages and characters' bones. When I pointed out that there was no reason that Sakurai would have lied about the 3DS being the main reason, and that most of those changes were made post release in order to add more stages to the mode (which had a very small selection at launch, just check the 50 Facts Extravaganza presentation to see that), he never addressed those points but he repeated what he said before. He even made a post were he put his reasons for why IC couldn't work with 8PS with the "The more you know" pic underneat it.
Which was all proven wrong when both IF and 8PS were confirmed for Ultimate, which is on a console just a little bit more powerful than the Wii U.

Anyway, has someone imagined which would be Elma's taunts?

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
If Elma was in would you think she would have the same Insignia as Shulk?

Personally i would love it would could get a stylized X to represent all Xenoblade's games
Well, it's not like the Monado wouldn't work as Elma's insignia, since XCX is still in the Xenoblade franchise, but it wouldn't be entirely accurate.

X is, as far as we know, not connected to the mainline games in anyway, other than sharing some gameplay similarities as well as a boatload of references.
And as far as we know, X could be connected at least in some way to the main games, I don't know what's going to happen with the X series in the future, so maybe it could somehow connect. But as it stands, X is it's own separate series just like Yoshi, or WarioWare, and I think it should be treated as such.

And I mean, I don't think it would be that hard to change a character insignia, and Sakurai has probably had Elma's insignia since whenever he first created her, which was probably sometime in 2017, based on the fact that Sakurai bought the mech toy in late 2016.

So yea, while it wouldn't be entirely out of place for Elma to be represented by the Monado, the X symbol would be a much better, and more accurate fit. And I would think someone like Sakurai, who tries to get every possible detail correct, down to every last frame of animation, would want to have a character accurately portrayed in Smash.

That being said, all the FE characters are represented by the Falchion, though to be fair, all FE games (except Fates) Is still connected in the same world, so while it's still not 100% accurate for everyone to have the Falchion as their insignia, it makes more sense than Elma with the Monado.
Personally, I always thought the FE characters should be represented by the Fire Emblem itself anyway.

I haven't really thought about taunts, but I hope one of them references something about melee attacks, as sort of a nice little inside joke for X fans

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I like The Orpheon's take on taunts, particularly on using passive arts as taunts. Funny enough he also was also hoping for a reference to melee attacks.

Last edited:

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Personally I'd rather have both, i think the second logo fits a lot better for Elma and the first one for Shulk. But I wouldn't mind at all if Elma is represented with the first one. After all, Elma in Smash is the best thing that can happen for me in this game. Although I'm keeping my expectations low.
Stole the exact words out of my mouth doesn't matter what icon Elma would have and even if she was a terrible character doesn't matter I just want to play as my favourite character ever made and I will cry if she gets in I'm dead serious

I don't know why but I kinda want Elma doing L's dance as a taunt just look at it.

Best troll taunt confirmed

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I like The Orpheon's take on taunts, particularly on using passive arts as taunts. Funny enough he also was also hoping for a reference to melee attacks.

Yea, I think that's a good idea for taunts

Stole the exact words out of my mouth doesn't matter what icon Elma would have and even if she was a terrible character doesn't matter I just want to play as my favourite character ever made and I will cry if she gets in I'm dead serious

I don't know why but I kinda want Elma doing L's dance as a taunt just look at it.

Best troll taunt confirmed
I know how you feel. Elma is my favorite character of all time, and I would cry too.

And yes! That's so adorable, I need that taunt!!!

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
So I think Elma will still have the Monado as her emblem, but this discussion has me thinking; do you think they would change her victory theme? Since the music is one of the most noticeably different things between X and the core series, it doesn't make too much sense to give her the sample of "You Will Know Our Names!" Shulk has.

Personally, I'd love it if they used the opening guitar riff from "Black Tar," but I could also see them sampling "Uncontrollable," "The Key We've Lost," or even "Wir Fliegen."

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I think Elma will still have the Monado as her emblem, but this discussion has me thinking; do you think they would change her victory theme? Since the music is one of the most noticeably different things between X and the core series, it doesn't make too much sense to give her the sample of "You Will Know Our Names!" Shulk has.

Personally, I'd love it if they used the opening guitar riff from "Black Tar," but I could also see them sampling "Uncontrollable," "The Key We've Lost," or even "Vir Fliegen."
I like to think they’ll take a snippet of THEMEX, as it’s practically her theme. It plays when she first takes Cross on a tour through New LA and

a rearranged version plays when she restores power to the Lifehold after revealing her true form

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Personally, I'd love it if they used the opening guitar riff from "Black Tar," but I could also see them sampling "Uncontrollable," "The Key We've Lost," or even "Wir Fliegen."
If they can give different victory theme to Rosalina, Meta Knight and Dark Pit I don't see why they wouldn't for Elma

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I kind of like a remixed version of 0:00-0:17 of Don't worry as the victory song

though a snippet of THEMEX would probably be better suiting, not sure what part it would be derived from though. I will say I've always tied NO.EX01 to Elma more so than THEMEX for whatever reason. I think it would be awesome to hear a smash version of NO. EX01 during Elma's reveal trailer

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman

Oh yea. Even if she keeps the Monado symbol, she'll have a different victory song.
I just don't know what I'd want it to be. There are so many good songs to choose from.
Though, if Shulk has "You Will Know Our Names!" Then maybe Elma would have X's unique monster theme "Uncontrollable"

AvionFinch

Smash Cadet
I never actually posted in this thread despite having had it watched. Elma is definitely in my top 5 most wanted characters, I love Xenoblade as a series and it deserves all the love it can get. (kinda hoping we eventually get to have Shulk, Elma, AND Rex and Pyra eventually in Smash)

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Oh yea. Even if she keeps the Monado symbol, she'll have a different victory song.
I just don't know what I'd want it to be. There are so many good songs to choose from.
Though, if Shulk has "You Will Know Our Names!" Then maybe Elma would have X's unique monster theme "Uncontrollable"
The opening three seconds of Uncontrollable with the last high note dragging on for a couple more seconds as a climax would be a jammin' victory theme.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I kind of like a remixed version of 0:00-0:17 of Don't worry as the victory song

though a snippet of THEMEX would probably be better suiting, not sure what part it would be derived from though. I will say I've always tied NO.EX01 to Elma more so than THEMEX for whatever reason. I think it would be awesome to hear a smash version of NO. EX01 during Elma's reveal trailer

I was thinking this part, up until 4:27 - https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=O59iwBYDYcw&t=4m22s
Or even if they’re feeling generous, up to 4:45 and looping. I love that song so much <3

As for logo, I think she, and even Rex/Pyra will keep the Monado as their series logo, but each character will have a different victory theme. R/P’s I can see as Hunting Succeeded.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking this part, up until 4:27 - https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=O59iwBYDYcw&t=4m22s
Or even if they’re feeling generous, up to 4:45 and looping. I love that song so much <3

As for logo, I think she, and even Rex/Pyra will keep the Monado as their series logo, but each character will have a different victory theme. R/P’s I can see as Hunting Succeeded.
Ahhh. That'd be so cool!

And wow, Yea Hunting Succeeded is legitimately perfect for a Smash victory screen.

Almost like they planned it...Lol

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
So, let's assume that the Subspace Emissary will return
(For the record, I don't think it will, and if it did, it would definitely be way shorter than Brawl's)

But what if we did somehow get a full Subspace sequel or something. Do you think characters like Elma, Pit, Marth, Snake etc...
Would have spoken dialogue? Or do you think they'd all just stay silent like in Brawl?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
(For the record, I don't think it will, and if it did, it would definitely be way shorter than Brawl's)

But what if we did somehow get a full Subspace sequel or something. Do you think characters like Elma, Pit, Marth, Snake etc...
Would have spoken dialogue? Or do you think they'd all just stay silent like in Brawl?
Silent. It's less work and the SSE plot progression was centered around being able to use the action and visuals to tell a story. Actions speak louder than words.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I would personally love spoken dialogue for the characters that have VOs. (Just please cast Burton as Cloud again and give CF a proper native English speaking VO and we’re good)

Also, if I may request a favor of everyone here: try not to embed too many videos in a single page. I mostly access Smashboards via mobile and threads with a lot of videos embedded force my safari to refresh the page “because a problem occurred”, forcing a log out. I hope it’s not too much trouble, everyone! <3

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Silent. It's less work and the SSE plot progression was centered around being able to use the action and visuals to tell a story. Actions speak louder than words.
That is true.
I still think it would be cool to see even just a little bit of spoken dialogue from some of the characters, but also, now that I think of it, it would probably be too jarring for some characters to talk and some that are silent.

I would personally love spoken dialogue for the characters that have VOs. (Just please cast Burton as Cloud again and give CF a proper native English speaking VO and we’re good)

Also, if I may request a favor of everyone here: try not to embed too many videos in a single page. I mostly access Smashboards via mobile and threads with a lot of videos embedded force my safari to refresh the page “because a problem occurred”, forcing a log out. I hope it’s not too much trouble, everyone! <3
Meh, I don't think Captain Falcon would be one I'd want to speak, unless they could somehow get an English VO that sounds exactly like his Japanese one, since I already think that voice fits him perfectly, but that's just my opinion.

And, I'm sorry about that, I sometimes have a hard time getting this site to load too, so I know how that feels.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
[QUOTE="Rie Sonomura, post: 22204141, member: 255901"
Also, if I may request a favor of everyone here: try not to embed too many videos in a single page. I mostly access Smashboards via mobile and threads with a lot of videos embedded force my safari to refresh the page “because a problem occurred”, forcing a log out. I hope it’s not too much trouble, everyone! <3[/QUOTE]

apologies friend, I tend to get video happy. I took down my last two vids to help out.

Regarding Elma's voice acting, I do hope she doesn't call out every one of her specials like in game. Even though I think Sakurai will for continuity sake, I always thought it immersion breaking that the characters in X call out every single attack they do given the atmosphere of the game.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
[QUOTE="Rie Sonomura, post: 22204141, member: 255901"

apologies friend, I tend to get video happy. I took down my last two vids to help out.

Regarding Elma's voice acting, I do hope she doesn't call out every one of her specials like in game. Even though I think Sakurai will for continuity sake, I always thought it immersion breaking that the characters in X call out every single attack they do given the atmosphere of the game.[/QUOTE]
I think she'll pretty much be like Shulk in that regard. I don't mind it though, but I can see why you have an issue with it.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I mean it's not a deal breaker by any means but for me it never fit with her character. Oddly enough it never brothered me as much with either Shulk or Rex because I guess they were more like your standard JRPG protagonist. For me, Elma was always more of the straighter shooter, so for her to have a characteristic that helped define Owain as an eccentric goofball in fire emblem, IDK, it just bothers me.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
All characters in XB yell their attacks since you need to know what the AI party members are doing. So when you heal "Air Slash!" you know Shulk is inflicting Break, which is important if you want to topple. In XB2 though they usually yell what status they inflict (ie "Break!").

I think if she only yells her attack name infrequently it'll be fine. Every fourth or fifth time. "Sliding Slinger!" into falling off a cliff is too good to miss out on entirely.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Regarding Elma's voice acting, I do hope she doesn't call out every one of her specials like in game. Even though I think Sakurai will for continuity sake, I always thought it immersion breaking that the characters in X call out every single attack they do given the atmosphere of the game.
I don't find the fact she does it to be off character so much as how she says it. Mid combat call outs are exactly what a commanding officer would do, but the over enthusiastic/hyped and less professional emphasis she puts into every call out is a bit much.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
For a XCX stage, all I ask is that they hopefully pick literally any location that isn’t Primordia. Literally any of them would be just perfect. Noctilum, Oblivia, Sylvalum, Cauldros, and even NLA would all look so incredibly distinctive and unique to fight around in Smash Ultimate, with their own unique quirks and aesthetic choices for backgrounds (some of which I think haven’t even been shown in Smash yet) whereas Primordia would look like Gaur Plains 2.0.

I guess they could make Primordia more “unique” than Gaur Plains by virtue of having a different layout, no Metal Face, and NLA in the background, but it’d still disappoint me somewhat.

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
For a XCX stage, all I ask is that they hopefully pick literally any location that isn’t Primordia. Literally any of them would be just perfect. Noctilum, Oblivia, Sylvalum, Cauldros, and even NLA would all look so incredibly distinctive and unique to fight around in Smash Ultimate, with their own unique quirks and aesthetic choices for backgrounds (some of which I think haven’t even been shown in Smash yet) whereas Primordia would look like Gaur Plains 2.0.

I guess they could make Primordia more “unique” than Gaur Plains by virtue of having a different layout, no Metal Face, and NLA in the background, but it’d still disappoint me somewhat.
Oh my god yes please, Xenoblade X world is so beautiful and while I like the aesthetic of Primordia there is much more unique looking regions to choose from.

Give me a stage in the Cauldros region and have Brimstone Rain lashing down while fighting, god it would look amazing.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m personally split between Noctilum and Sylvalum.

Noctilum - looks gorgeous at night, could use the poison water as a hazard, TELETHIA THE ENDBRINGER STAGE BOSS

Sylvalum - the night theme is so heckin pretty and just imagine the Rising Energy Mist + Crimson Aurora weather effects if they incorporate weather :love:

Last edited:

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I could see Oblivia being a stage. They could make it so that, with hazards on, a magnetic storm will kick up every so often and electrify certain platforms, similar to the Ramhu summon in Midgar.

Last edited:

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't know what XCX stage I want
As long as it's not Primordia, I'll love it.

I'm kinda partial to either Oblivia or Sylvalum
Oblivia, because it's one of my favorite regions, with tons of ancient unknown history surrounding it
And Slylvalum, because it would embody the uniqueness of Xenoblade Chronicles X

Ideally, it would be a traveling stage that starts in NLA and goes to every location, but I don't know how realistic that wish is.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I could see it being Primordia because NLA, but I'm really hoping for a variety of biomes in the Xeno stages. Especially since we'll mostly likely be getting an XB2 stage at some point.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I don't find the fact she does it to be off character so much as how she says it. Mid combat call outs are exactly what a commanding officer would do, but the over enthusiastic/hyped and less professional emphasis she puts into every call out is a bit much.
I can understand where you are coming from DNeon, but I'm not even sure I can buy that much. I can't imagine any commanding officer shouting out attack names, rather it would be like the other generalized statements she makes in battle, like "focus X," "X, provide cover fire," "I need healing," stuff like that. Shouting things like "Early Bird" while using a move that implies she is relaxing her mind to hone in her abilities, not only counter acts what the move is suppose to represent, but just sounds real stupid when all the character is doing is crossing her weapons in a 'cool' pose. I guess I can understand her shouting slinding slinger only because the amount of movement it invokes and the potential of it putting her in friendly fire, but even then I feel like its more of an excuse to get around a poorly used japanese trope.

I should really get off my soapbox though, I'm starting to sound really petty. Elma is great character and I absolutely hope she gets in (cheese or otherwise).

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I can understand where you are coming from DNeon, but I'm not even sure I can buy that much. I can't imagine any commanding officer shouting out attack names, rather it would be like the other generalized statements she makes in battle, like "focus X," "X, provide cover fire," "I need healing," stuff like that. Shouting things like "Early Bird" while using a move that implies she is relaxing her mind to hone in her abilities, not only counter acts what the move is suppose to represent, but just sounds real stupid when all the character is doing is crossing her weapons in a 'cool' pose. I guess I can understand her shouting slinding slinger only because the amount of movement it invokes and the potential of it putting her in friendly fire, but even then I feel like its more of an excuse to get around a poorly used japanese trope.

I should really get off my soapbox though, I'm starting to sounds really petty. Elma is great character and I absolutely hope she gets in (cheese or otherwise).
I totally get what you're saying, it's pretty fair. I'm just willing to suspend my disbelief for the anime logic that in order to 'power up' to step it up in any way you need to do a funny pose.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
All I know is, one of her victory quotes just has to be her most well known level up quote from X:

“Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.”

Yluma

Smash Rookie
NNID
WhatACreativeID
3DS FC
4854-7666-5145
Switch FC
5660-9773-7212
Definitely add me to the supporter list! Xeno X is my favorite game and I just need Elma in Smash. I'd main her without a second thought.
I've been spending days thinking about Elma in Smash now, and since I don't want to annoy my Discord friends anymore, I decided to look for threads like this and found this one.
As for a stage, I'd love one called simply Mira. When you pick it, the game would randomly pick one of the 5 continents or NLA and the respective music, just like the Animal Crossing track in MK 8 picks a random season.

I also made these out of sheer hype. They aren't really good, all I had was the browser inspect element, a free Paint demo, snipping tool and a whiteboard presentation software. And I have zero experience with editing stuff or GFX or whatever. But I'll put them here regardless ^^'
https://imgur.com/a/IG4gvjS

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
Sorry if this isn't Elma related at all but my biggest issue against Rex is that he's just so boring compared to the rest of the Xenoblade 2 cast. GIve me Morag or Nia, But sadly they have no chance at all to get in so that even makes me more desperate to get Elma added in

Yluma Yluma Welcome to the Elma flock great to see more new faces around here, Seems were getting new supporters every day which is great news.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
There are so many amazing potential locations. I feel bad for Sakurai--he has to decide which one will get in as a stage.

Primordia
1531590382787.png

1531590431770.png

Noctilum
1531590645043.png

1531590706283.png

Oblivia
1531590840686.png

1531590976450.png

Sylvalum
1531591120890.png

1531591179990.png

Cauldros
1531591257480.png

1531591377449.png

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Sorry if this isn't Elma related at all but my biggest issue against Rex is that he's just so boring compared to the rest of the Xenoblade 2 cast. GIve me Morag or Nia, But sadly they have no chance at all to get in so that even makes me more desperate to get Elma added in
I'll be honest, that's part of the reason for me too. Rex just feels like every other JRPG protagonist thrown into a blender. I can't put into words how much I'd rather have Morag or the Zekenator.

But back to Elma.
All I know is, one of her victory quotes just has to be her most well known level up quote from X:

“Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.”
That's something I've been meaning to ask, what are some ideas for victory screens? I've come up with a couple;

1. Elma breathes a sigh of relief and sheaths both her swords. She strikes her "sass" pose (you know the one, where she has one hand on her hip) as she looks off into the distance.

2. Elma leaps out of her Skell as it speeds by in vehicle form. She lands in a low stance with her guns drawn and points them into the distance (or at the camera).

EchoAegis

Need time to think?
There are so many amazing potential locations. I feel bad for Sakurai--he has to decide which one will get in as a stage.

Primordia

Noctilum

Oblivia

Sylvalum

Cauldros
if we can get a stage based in the Noctilum region and it looks like the first image you posted god would be such an amazing looking stage. All I would need is this song and that's the only stage I'm playing on.

Top Bottom