• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#BuffThePuff

Keetblade

Smash Rookie
We could finally get the buffs we need for jigglypuff to destroy even more characters
Hopefully the buffs come in

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
We've already got a few confirmed buffs when it comes to the ending lag of aerial moves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lh7kFBfLZ4

So that's a start at least! Hopefully Rest kills will confirm at lower percentages again, and she'll have some guaranteed setups that combo into it as well. That's what she really needs! :039:
I'd also like Pound to have her fly further again like it did in Melee, where it was based on your momentum and stuffs~

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I second Pound needing more distance, as it's basically Jigglypuff's replacement for a true third jump.

MalachitJR

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2092-6451-4829
It's kinda weird that in Jiggles trailer at the end they showed her dying from her shield breaking. Like why show that? I'm hopeful that when she uses her rollout attack in the air and hits someone that she doesn't stay still. That nerf was kinda uncalled for.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It’s worrh mentioning that Jigglypuff is noticeably pinker than she was before. This, in my opinion, is the buff that she needed most and I think her competitive future is looking bright because of this change.

D

Deleted member

It's kinda weird that in Jiggles trailer at the end they showed her dying from her shield breaking. Like why show that?
Its almost like they we taunting Jigglypuff mains with that huh?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
The tier list has been reversed. The worst characters in Smash 4 are now the best in Ultimate, and vice versa.
Welcome to melee. Most of the top tiers are gonna be a mix of top tiers from melee and brawl. Marth, meta knight, peach and puff, diddy and olimar, thats 6 out of the top 10

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
MK's combo game looks so broken. Wouldn't be surprised if he's A/A+/S tier.
the ladder still exists too, it just requires that last up air to make 6 up airs rather than 5, so the MU will literally be who hits who first, and since they're so light, the exchange will pretty much mean death every time. I think it'll only be -0.5 MK favor unless puff has some thing that can nuke him, dash attack and dthrow is much easier to get than FH dair or pound assuming that's all that can combo into rest. Which means puff will be dying more but its not like Puff can't troll his entire game plan with aerials and can kill him just as early with rest combos.

It's literally who can hit who first.

W1ZARD

Smash Rookie
I think this here video will make a lot of people very happy.
Why would that make people happy? They got two kills with items, not a single rest, and barely used any air attacks? If that's the optimum way to use Jigg in this game I'll probably not be playing her...

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Why would that make people happy? They got two kills with items, not a single rest, and barely used any air attacks? If that's the optimum way to use Jigg in this game I'll probably not be playing her...
You know this was pre-release, right? With people who had minimum to no experience with the game? Of course the gameplay isn’t going to be optimal.

King Ching

Smash Cadet
Think of it this way Puff Balls: Puff was arguebly the worst character in Smash 4. This means she has nowhere to go but up in Smash Ultimate :)

Buuhan

Is mayonnaise an instrument?
We could finally get the buffs we need for jigglypuff to destroy even more characters
Hopefully the buffs come in
Not after hbox beat Reggie. Bet that’s he’s still upset about it .

“You spend 15 hours a day playing smash, I spend 15 hours a day managing a company.”

King Ching

Smash Cadet
Its official guys the Puff Got Buffed. It only took four years, but it was worth the wait. I've found that using Puff in tournaments is much easier now than in Smash 4.

I think the only thing I could ask for as a Puff player is to get more out of Puff's grabs. She still has no true combo throw or kill throw and the grab range is still bad.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Its official guys the Puff Got Buffed. It only took four years, but it was worth the wait. I've found that using Puff in tournaments is much easier now than in Smash 4.

I think the only thing I could ask for as a Puff player is to get more out of Puff's grabs. She still has no true combo throw or kill throw and the grab range is still bad.
The buff I wanted most was for up throw to at least be as strong as Marth’s. I wonder why they insist on Jigglypuff’s grabs to be useless.

King Ching

Smash Cadet
The buff I wanted most was for up throw to at least be as strong as Marth’s. I wonder why they insist on Jigglypuff’s grabs to be useless.
It would be nice if Puff's upthrow would kill at at least 170%, I would even take that.

Eggimannd

Smash Rookie
It would be nice if Puff's upthrow would kill at at least 170%, I would even take that.
it's ****ing ridiculous. I feel I have 0 kill potential as puff. My attacks can't kill at 170% while enemy grabs kill me at 80. so dumb. they need to up the percent a bit to balance

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Well, boys, tonight marks a momentous occasion in Smash history.

Not only has the Puff been buffed, but the Puff has been buffed in the first major Smash Ultimate balance patch. I now believe in the concept of justice again.

King Ching

Smash Cadet
Here are the Jiggly BUFFS in Patch 2.0

Ftilt FAF 28 → 25
Dtilt knockback increased (enough)
Upsmash front hit 13% → 15% (same damage the whole move)
Bair active f12 → f10
Fthrow angle 55 → 45

Source: https://twitter.com/drakeirving/status/1090440894589923334

My findings from labbing in training mode:
Upsmash - Sour spot damage back hit increased from 15% to 18%
Dtilt - Can now kill Chrom at 90% on ledge because of increased knockback and low angle (Chrom can't make it back). Also kills opponents into the blast zone at around 145% on the ledge now.
Fthrow angle - Is now exactly the same as backthrow angle. Makes it better for throwing opponents off stage and setting up a gimp/edge guard situation. Haven't found any true combos out of fthrow. Fthrow still doesn't kill and Puffs throws still aren't that great overall.
Bair - Easier to kill with it now and easier to combo into bair (ex. dair to bair) and combo out of bair now.

We have been waiting four years for Patch Buffs thank you Sakurai and the Smash development team. Now its our time to shine even brighter!

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Here’s something interesting but pointless: at a very specific percent threshold (seems to be around 20%), forward tilt will combo into itself. I can’t imagine this being useful, but it’s there.

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
Personally, while I appreciate the buffs, what I want most of all is for them to restore her back air to melee range. I'll take the frame data though, I guess. 90% of my kills are back airs, so.

Eggimannd

Smash Rookie
Are the buffs enough. I still feel Puff is a low tier character mid at best

D

Deleted member

I wish that they decrease the damage that Puff gets after getting the shield broken.

King Ching

Smash Cadet
Personally, while I appreciate the buffs, what I want most of all is for them to restore her back air to melee range. I'll take the frame data though, I guess. 90% of my kills are back airs, so.
If you think about it, Melee Bair is Ultimate Fair. I use Fair all the time to wall of pain people in tournament. In fact, I got a clips for you below of me doing the wall of pain to death using fair:

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
If you think about it, Melee Bair is Ultimate Fair. I use Fair all the time to wall of pain people in tournament. In fact, I got a clips for you below of me doing the wall of pain to death using fair:

Damn, Pyro got extinguished.

Love Tap

Smash Cadet

Wall of pain is satisfying to pull off but only really works if your opponent has poor DI.

While I'm on the subject, can we get rid of her silly shield break mechanic? All of us know it's not related to her balance and was just included as a gag. There's simply nothing about jigglypuff that justifies that nonsense. I also would like wake up period from a successful rest shortened more, because as it stands, do you know what you get when you KO with rest off stage? You just fall to your death, and that's really lame.

Last edited:

Eggimannd

Smash Rookie
Why the flying **** does jigglypuff still instantly die from having her shield break even at 0%? She's the only character this happens to and this is totally ****ing bull****.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
There's simply nothing about jigglypuff that justifies that nonsense.
Why the flying **** does jigglypuff still instantly die from having her shield break even at 0%? She's the only character this happens to and this is totally ****ing bull****.
I think they were trying to invoke the image of a balloon popping.

Top Bottom