• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buffs (or nerfs i guess) you would like to see for Duck hunt in the upcoming balance patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
I'd like the smash attacks to be able to connect, even if they aren't reliable kill moves as is because of the end lag. I'd also like a bit more range on that up tilt, hitting Battlefield's side platform might be stretching it, but maybe a little bit less than that could work too. It's unfortunate that the tilt is about the size of DH itself, if I recall correctly, and not a tad bit more higher. I'd also like a kill throw for DH. Nothing too extreme like a Ness back throw or anything, just something to help around the mid 100s as I don't recall its throws KOing at that range. DH has nice Tricks (ha!) to put the opponent into their shield to set up for a grab, so getting a slightly better reward for it could be nice. If not a kill throw, then maybe set knockback for DThrow so that it'll always send them at Up Air height, as if I'm not mistaken, once the opponent gets too high in the percent range, the throw sends them a bit too high.

(I might be wrong on all of these guesses as I'm not near the Wii U atm to check)

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Threadbump.

Despite him not being all that good, there aren't many changes I want made to him. I might as well list them below from most important to least important, atleast in my eyes.

Fix our ******* smashes. I can't tell you how many times I've lost a match because people just slide or fly out of a smash that should've killed them. I don't care how they do it. Bigger hitboxes, smaller time frame between hits, set knockback, autolink angle, or all of the above. I just want them to work.

Give the Gunmen a massive overhaul. In my opinion, these guys need a lot of work. In their current state, they mediocre walls at best.
* The first to note is how slow these things are to fire, the fastest shooting frame 53 and the slowest shooting frame 89 (the other three hit frame 65, 71, and 77). There is no justification to making them fire so slow. Ideally (in my opinion), I would make all fire 20 (10 for white shirt) frames faster, depending on the gunman.
* Despite the difficulty of just landing the bullets from these guys, the payoff is pretty terrible, all doing 4%-7%. Ideally (like before, in my opinion), they should all do 2.5% more. I would say for them to do more, but that combined with the other stuff would be a little op.
*I'm not sure of the exact range of these guys, but I do know that their range is pretty subpar. I think each gunman's bullet should go atleast two thirds the length of FD.
*Their bullets aren't the only problem. The Gunmen themselves are strangely fragile while also being slow. I would increase their from all being 5% to 7%-15%, depending on the type. White shirt will have 15% because he was designed to be a wall while brown coat will still be fragile with a measly 7% due to shooting frame 33, which is rather speedy. The others will have 11%.

Make uthrow a proper kill throw. I'm not asking for anything major, but is having uthrow kill at atleast 170% too much to ask?

Considerably decrease the endlag on Clay Pigeon. This move ends frame 66, which is just painful. If it had it's endlag decreased (to end frame 50 or something), we could get true followups out of it, making it viable shield bait and a useful combo starter.

Make dthrow a proper combo throw. We have setups into grabs, yet we don't really get much reward out of them unless our opponent's either at 20% or 200%. I think making where we could use dthrow to combo into aerials from low to mid high percents would really help our damage racking and grab game.

Make fair autocancel in a shorthop. I feel this move would become a lot more useful if it could potentially be used to approach, combo, or get a safe punish. As it is, it's just bair without the kill power.

I hope I wasn't too greedy here.

Furret24

Smash Master
I think they were afraid of giving Duck Hunt too much reward off throw. Rightfully so, because his grab range is actually ridiculous, especially when you pivot and we have two moves that force the opponent to react while we approach. While I do think it would be fair for us to have an uthrow that kills around 150%, we shouldn't have a hoohah that can kill.

I'd like for the dthrow to have less lag so we can get a fair, RAR bair or even a uair if you want to stale it, but make sure that the knockback on dthrow prevents us from having a kill hoohah (woof quack?). That would just make DH too braindead.

As for the Frisbee and gunman, I agree both could be buffed. The Frisbee especially needs a major decrease in endlag by like 20 frames. The gunmen... I would actually only increase the damage on them and that's it. Having them out for less time wouldn't actually be good, they are a key part to shielding us & the can, aswell as applying pressure.

Don't agree on the fair autocancel though. That move is good as-is and you can use it towards the end of your jump to reduce the ending lag, and its a disjoint too.
I think Gunmen should atleast have more health if they're going to be like walls, since they're currently too weak and slow to be good attacks, while also being a knocked down after just one or two hits.

Hmm, guess I should mess around with it more then. I don't use fair much outside of comboing it into itself at mid percents.

Salty dog

Smash Rookie
i just want some reliable OOS options, uthrow guarantee kill at 150 on all characters. More hitstun on the can and when you get physically hit by the clay pidgeon. Either more recovery distance so you can deploy the can and have a chance to recover, or just give him a hit box above the duck. Less lag on gun men along with a faster attack time. Larger dair hit box that matches the animation, faster, more hit stun to allow for it to combo easier and fix falling out of his multihits

Croi

Smash Lord
Realistically, the only real change I'd like is for them to fix his smash attacks. Like Furret24 said, it's ridiculous for a match to remain undecided when I got the read and landed the punish, but my attack failed to connect into itself. Maybe adjust uair too while they're at it.

Otherwise, if I'm allowed to be biased as hell in favour of my character, the biggest changes I'd like to see are:

• Less cooldown on gunman.
  • Way less cooldown on disc.
  • Some kind of adjustment to fair. Fair's sweetspot comes out on frame 9; bair's come out on frame 7. Fair does not autocancel; bair does. Fair is not a kill move; bair is. Fair does less damage than bair. There's literally no reason to prefer fair over bair. If it just autocancelled, that would be enough for me.
  • More kill power. That Duck Hunt can't kill is something of a meme. Beef up his Can, bair and uair, that'd be nice.
  • More base knockback on dthrow but less knockback growth, making it not worthwhile at low percents but a 50-50 at higher percents.
  • Have his recovery travel the same distance, but faster.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Here's some stuff I'm hoping for...
  • Being able to act out of Up-B. While we might have a terrible recovery overall, it could be made a little better by being tweaked to match Olimars.
  • Being able to hit the can in the air. This is something I don't get at all. Opponents can hit the can out the air right back at you but we can't? I'd understand this if you could fire more than one can around, but you'd think being limited to just one would pay off in other ways.
  • The same goes for gunmens health as well. I don't mind the speed of the gunmen so much, but if their health was buffed it would give them greater importance as a move.
  • Make up-tilts hitbox bigger? (That's just me being greedy tho.)

De Wolfe

Smash Cadet
Agree with all the gunmen buffs. I like the idea of them becoming better human shields to hide behind and setup shenanigans. I also like the idea of decreasing the cooldown and being able to get them out one after the other much faster so he can just have more stuff on screen at all times.

The Smash attacks buff is a no brainer. Probably no.1 fix that he needs.

HairyPawnch

Smash Rookie
I feel DH's Up B should be more like Snakes'. Replace the useless nonhitbox one for the actually damaging moveset. Also fix the hitboxes on all moves. LEss CD on gunmen and more health to protect you or stop people from dash attacking you when using frisbee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom