• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buffered Nana Pummel?

ilysm

sleepy
So occasionally, it seems like Nana will pummel once after grabbing an opponent. I had thought it was impossible, but now it has happened to me a couple times. There's a good example right here (congrats to Phresh for the excellent placing by the way!). Anyone have a good way to set this up, or some thoughts on how it might work?

OverlordZelos

Smash Rookie
You can do it on a normal handoff too just input jab and hold down jab after the hand off(similar too the 1 frame timing but it feels slightly easier). Im trying to figure out if you can control where nana throws after the jab.

ilysm

sleepy
Yeah I can do this somewhat consistently out of a regular midstage handoff now, and I'm seeing SO MUCH POTENTIAL in this setup. Time for bullet points!
  • If you're standing beneath a platform and do a dthrow or fthrow handoff to Nana and do a buffered Nana pummel (BNP?), the pummel gives you enough time to waveland onto the platform to the uthrow regrab -> platform handoff setup.
  • If you're doing a handoff on a platform, BNP gives you enough time to walk forward, turn around, and grab the opponent off of Nana's fthrow, continuing the handoff in the other direction. You can repeat that indefinitely if they don't force an air release.
  • One more thing to note is that once or twice I have been able to get Nana to pummel multiple times by mashing A, but I don't foresee much use in this seeing as it becomes really mashable and Popo can't really set up much if you need to keep mashing A in order for it to work.
There are also things I haven't done yet because the timing is hard, but should be possible.
  • If you're doing an extended desync wall, you can grab and BNP out of a Popo blizzard to position Popo for an optimal followup off of Nana's uthrow (maybe even uthrow platform handoff?). This is good because I and a lot of other Icies players would often connect a Popo blizzard while walling, but all we could think to do was do a Nana blizzard right after and pray they don't SDI out in time (and they pretty much always do). So Popo blizzard can theoretically lead into a stronger punish now!
  • You can also maybe even get similar setups out of other Nana grab situations, like pivot desync -> Popo jab/smash attack -> Nana boost grab -> BNP. This is so, so sneaky, because nobody ever expects Nana to grab them.
  • On FoD, during low-platform transformations that screw up chaingrabs, you should be able to jump with Nana and waveland onto the platform, causing Popo to dthrow, then regrab with Nana and BNP to give Popo time to waveland on and regrab after Nana's fthrow to get a handoff started. If we can do that consistently, FoD won't ever ruin a chaingrab again, and we'll be able to turn our DI-able setups into almost-inescapable handoffs midstage!
  • BNP can make fthrow to fthrow handoffs much easier, and leave you more space to do them because you don't need to dash-grab in order to catch the opponent out of Nana's fthrow.
  • I'm also toying with the idea of doing a standard midstage handoff into BNP, then just run away from Nana while she's pummeling in order to get her to fthrow or bthrow while trying to dash towards you.
  • BNP out of a ledge/platform handoff should also give you time to do stylish things like this or this or this or this (or even maybe this) if you really want to demoralize your opponent.
This setup is so cool, and I can see it being so powerful for our punish game. I want to make a video of all these things as soon as I can do them somewhat reliably.

Last edited:
Top Bottom