• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I like the word "efficiency". It brings to my mind no wasted movements, jumps, or attacks. Shouldn't that be how Brawl is supposed to be played?

D

Deleted member 189823

Sorry, double post error.

Last edited by a moderator:

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
The conclusion that was enlightened to me playing melee marth is that Marth has the capacity (i believe) to deny any sort of action an opponent does when in the air. At least, if they try to get back to the stage or ledge Marth can be there to prevent it from happening. While Marth does not always get KO's out of this method it does not really matter since he could always keep doing this until the person eventually dies from say something weak staled uair at 160%.
I've typed out about 4 different responses to this, and each one was a completely different idea from my original post, so I have no idea where I was actually going with that lol. I guess my idea is that jab in the end mostly just leads to more damage (if someone is DI'ing right), but some other move could lead to a KO. After a while, it just feels like I'm jabbing because there's no other good move to use (which is probably completely true), and I'm wondering if the situation leading up to it could be changed to prevent that. But not-so-simple kill moves has been an Ike weakness since the inception, so maybe I'm just running in circles lol.

This may sound scrubby, but I'll just play the way that's most fun, even if it's not the most "efficient." Starting to think that that will help in the long run.
Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to say you should play differently lol. Just throwing thoughts out there. I certainly don't try to play by the most efficient methods either.

Last edited:
I've typed out about 4 different responses to this, and each one was a completely different idea from my original post, so I have no idea where I was actually going with that lol. I guess my idea is that jab in the end mostly just leads to more damage (if someone is DI'ing right), but some other move could lead to a KO. After a while, it just feels like I'm jabbing because there's no other good move to use (which is probably completely true), and I'm wondering if the situation leading up to it could be changed to prevent that. But not-so-simple kill moves has been an Ike weakness since the inception, so maybe I'm just running in circles lol.
My thought was characters are weakest in the air despite having so many options. So, Ike's Aerials to me seemed to make the best choice of move to finish stocks if the opportunity presents itself. I mean, Dash Attack, Grab, and Jab to launch and get yourself a good advantage and low risk moves that your opponent cannot always deal with in the case of say Uair/Fair/Bair.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
My Doom mod has Ike's F-Tilt hitting from one side of the room to the other, and it's rapid fire. He's also the second most dangerous marine you'll face.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I forgot to mention that his F-Smash at point blank kills you if you have less than 200 health. On harder difficulties, I think it's less than 300 health (it also comes out faster and has a lower cool-down rate). He seldom drops the Ragnell (if you're lucky), and that's one broken weapon.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Sup, guys? Long time, no post.

Just wanted to let you guys know I plan on developing the character guides for Ike in Brawl and Smash 4 on MIOM. Basically, I plan on combining all of the information from the guides on here. I'll give credit for specific tech I pick up.

If any of you guys wish to help, let me know. Peace.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I can probably pm a few more specific tricks that aren't really located anywhere. Not enough to be called techs, but some nice things to know.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
I can probably pm a few more specific tricks that aren't really located anywhere. Not enough to be called techs, but some nice things to know.
I would really appreciate it if you did. I'm also trying to brush up on Brawl a little bit to be ready for Smash 4, so this is a great excuse to back into things.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I might just write something here within a few days. It's not going to be anything very complex, but slightly more advanced basics that weren't really formalized and many mains just know. I'm sure if you can contact others like Ryo, Waldo, and some EU players who have been active within the last few years, they might have found something that I didn't know about as well.

I had little desire to travel to tournaments or even play until recently because of the hype SSB4 is bringing, so I've actually been playing recently. I think it's a wonderful excuse, even if it's just getting your foot back in the door.

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
*slowly walks in and watches as the place gradually crumbles down*

It's like an abandoned amusement park on this part of the forum. I cannot believe that it has been almost an entire year since the thread has seen any activity. Everything has changed. The glory days of SSBB have long since passed us by.

:(

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Well you have 579 pages to read through for you new folk to pass the time.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I play all smash games with that said, its really sad to see this game just up and die. If anything more people should be using the Balanced Brawl mod. I honestly dont understand why more people dont

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I play all smash games with that said, its really sad to see this game just up and die. If anything more people should be using the Balanced Brawl mod. I honestly dont understand why more people dont
Its hard to have a brawl mod tourney. Balanced Brawl, B+, Brawl Minus were all pretty good, but they lacked a community agreement. We couldn't even get MK banned despite 75% of the community wanting to ban him, you think we'll get a brawl mod to work? Project M took off just because of how popular it is. An updated melee, which draws the melee crowd looking for melee 2.0 just had enough support compared to just making brawl better.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Got 4th at a Brawl side-event at the biggest french Smash4 tourney. I'm basically only a commentator now, but still play a lot of smash, and playing brawl was so refreshing even though I was so rusty.

This character, these boards and this community have brought me a lot, when I was at a really low point in my life, back when I started this game competitively. This might seem a bit ridiculous, but I'm still grateful.

Thank you dead Ike boards, I'll keep fighting for you.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I was a bit surprised to wee Ike thread that inactive, hope this thread can be more active someday.

Top Bottom