• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bubble Man's Jacuzzi (Mega Man Social Thread)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
First I played was Mega Man 2, when I was younger. Though the first I remember beating all the way was Mega Man 6. First Mega Man X game I played X1.

Admittedly I have an overall preference for the Mega Man X series. I like the mobility and stuff.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
My first was technically X4, but i was too young and my only played for like 2 stages cause the playstation wasn't mine.
The first one i finished was classic 7, and i must say while it is not my favorite, i still enjoy it a lot, and replay it from time to time.

So, how was everyone's first tournament?

I'll have mine this sunday, kinda nervous cause the only practice i had for this last 2 weeks was playing against a friend (who has a pretty solid Mario and Luigi) so while i'm already dreading the possibility of getting rocked out really quick, still looking forward to it sure as hell didn't want to work tomorrow.

So i'm curious, anyone would like to share their first tournament experience?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So i'm curious, anyone would like to share their first tournament experience?
So...I did my first ever Smash tournament today. A small scale one, but a tournament nonetheless. How'd it go, you ask?

Decent.

Out of 25 singles entrants, I placed 10th running solo-Bowser. Double elimination.

The opponents were like For Glory matches; you struggle with some, you plow through others, which isn't surprisng considering that very few good players are around here. Characters I fought against included Meta Knight, Marth, Kirby, Shulk, Dedede, Donkey Kong, Dr Mario, Pittoo, Palutena and Link, plus some others.

I had some ease getting through the Dr Mario, Pittoo and Kirby players. Narrowly escaped getting sent to losers bracket from both Shulk and Dedede. When I did get knocked to losers, it was by Meta Knight.

I fought my way through losers, knocking out the DK, Link and Palutena players. Then that one match came, where I almost got knocked out myself.

A Robin.

Whoever was playing that Robin must have studied Raziek's guide since she(the player) was using nairplanes a lot and constantly keeping me guessing. Easily the most tense match of the entire gig for me. We tied at one point 1-1, but through sheer luck I managed to clutch that third match through a lucky dair spike on Pyrosphere Omega. A Robin had never given me that much trouble before, and that made the win all the better.

Unfortunately, my streak through losers was stopped by a Lucario after bashing through a Pac-Man next set. I sat at the aforementioned 10th place, not bad for my first try. I stayed to watch the wrap-up, culminating in a Captain Falcon taking first, Sonic taking second, and a Diddy of all things taking third.

Despite losing, I enjoyed myself here. First time I've had legitimate competition in months due to no Wii U yet. The players were all friendly and talkative, and when I lost, I was congratulated by several(who were rooting for me) for making it that far with Bowser, since I was the only one using him. The same Robin user who almost knocked me out asked if I was on SmashBoards, leading to an exchange of SB and Skype usernames, though she's asked for me to reserve discretion about it given she's shy.

And from now on, I plan to attend as many tournaments as I can. They're fun even wi the fierce competition for the prize. Might even make a name for myself in time.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I love the title for this thread.

Also to answer the "first Mega Man game" question my first was 2, and then 9. And then I got exposed to the whole NES series via 3DS eShop as they went up.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
First was BN3 White.

First Classic game was 8. I got the Anniversary Collection and thought it'd be best to go with the most recent. Ironically it was the last main Classic game I finished.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
The first Mega Man game I remember ever playing was MMX 2, though I never owned it until much later on(as part of the MMX Collection). The first one I owned was Battle Network, followed closely by Legends(64 ver.). I didn't own a Classic MM until sometime after getting a PS2(MM 8).

Out of all Mega Man series to date, X is still my favorite.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Mine was MM6 (the classic one), then I did the others and I went on the X series right after (haven't completed X5 & X6 yet).
What truly stuns me is that I went on MMZX before beating the two last MMZ games:facepalm:

Still, MMBN6 Cybeast Greagar will always be one of my favorites with Megaman & Bass:seuss:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So I continued my Mega Man X5 run, and beat the Shadow Devil. I actually only needed one Sub-Tank to do it too. I guess I finally just got decent enough at the fight. Beat the level after that, it's harder overall, with those mech jerks. Though the boss is way easier with the Gaea Armor.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Speaking about X, after beating all but 7 and 8, I tried X1 on an emulator at a friend. I **** you not, I got a game over on Chill Penguin
Which is why it's better to play on a console. You won't have to deal with any major lag. Though I suppose if you have a really strong computer you might not run into that kind of issue. This should only be a problem for more modern games though, right?

Honestly, I'd say Skip Mega Man X7 and go right to Mega Man X8, X8 is the much better game between the two. And it has a some cool updates to the armor system.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Which is why it's better to play on a console. You won't have to deal with any major lag. Though I suppose if you have a really strong computer you might not run into that kind of issue. This should only be a problem for more modern games though, right?

Honestly, I'd say Skip Mega Man X7 and go right to Mega Man X8, X8 is the much better game between the two. And it has a some cool updates to the armor system.
I know about the X7 ****. Shame I'm European so no X collection.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
My first Mega Man Game was X1 over a year and a half ago on Virtual Console, first maverick I ever faced was Armored Armadillo and I got completely creamed fighting him on my first try. Looked up on the internet on the boss order and then took on Chill Penguin, Storm Eagle (because killing him removes the electricity in Spark Mandrill's stage and severely nerfs the mini-boss, plus storm eagle is easy anyways), and then onwards. That just showed me what the series is all about and I loved it, and then I moved onto Mega Man 1 and 2 eventually, and now I'm playing Mega Man 7 and its my personal favorite so far. I downloaded Mega Man & Bass a few days ago from eshop and haven't completed any levels yet, I chose Bass and went to Ground Man's stage but got rekt. I hear the rest of the game is pretty hard too.

Also, am I the only one who considers Launch Octopus MX1's easiest boss instead of Chill Penguin? I found him quite harmlessly pathetic.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I downloaded Mega Man & Bass a few days ago from eshop and haven't completed any levels yet, I chose Bass and went to Ground Man's stage but got rekt. I hear the rest of the game is pretty hard too.
I think I went against pretty much everyone before getteing the Leg Upgrade in X1 the first time I played. Gosh, the stages bullied me hard XD

About MM&B, start with Cold Man. I think he is easier to beat.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think I went against pretty much everyone before getteing the Leg Upgrade in X1 the first time I played. Gosh, the stages bullied me hard XD

Yeah, Cold Man is way easier to deal with. Honestly, I found the miniboss in his stage harder to deal with, given that you gotta aim for the head, instead of just letting loose when need be. He's got a good stage theme though. His weapon ain't half bad either.

MM&B? Screen Crunch is your ex's new partner, you hate it for making you suffer
Shame the SNES version never got an official translation. Though there's a few fan made-ones to play if you're willing to find it. That'll take care of any screen crunch issues. It's still one of the harder Classic Mega Man games though, if you ask me.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
MM&B? Screen Crunch is your ex's new partner, you hate it for making you suffer
Having completed MM&B only on the GBA, i can't really say the screen crunch was much of a problem for me.

That being said, this game WILL turn you into a murderous madman that is only able to curse and destroy everything in sight.

I downloaded Mega Man & Bass a few days ago from eshop and haven't completed any levels yet, I chose Bass and went to Ground Man's stage but got rekt. I hear the rest of the game is pretty hard too.
I really recommend anyone playing it for the first time to use Bass, but if you have a thing for game over screens, go with Megaman.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Having completed MM&B only on the GBA, i can't really say the screen crunch was much of a problem for me.

That being said, this game WILL turn you into a murderous madman that is only able to curse and destroy everything in sight.

I really recommend anyone playing it for the first time to use Bass, but if you have a thing for game over screens, go with Megaman.
Didn't Burner Man's stage have an instakill fire hazard? Screen Crunch doesn't let you see the platforms you need to jump on. I suggest people who haven't played it to check SomecallmeJohnny's review of it

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Didn't Burner Man's stage have an instakill fire hazard? Screen Crunch doesn't let you see the platforms you need to jump on. I suggest people who haven't played it to check SomecallmeJohnny's review of it
Personally i don't recall dying to that on Burner Man's stage, i do remember dying a lot on Tengu Man's stage and it's leaps of faith, so there is that.

I've seen Johnny's review of it and yeah, the difficulty and level design can be absolutely ridiculous.

By the time i got to King's second stage with Megaman, i literally gave up and started another file with Bass, cause i really couldn't deal with that stage as Megaman.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

I dunno about that, this video right here says that while it can be pretty tough for Mega Man, this video here says Ground Man's stage is pretty easy with Bass (who I'm playing atm) and the only thing worth worrying about is the sandworm mini-boss with so much health, and boy does she make it look easy. Haven't reached him yet, but it also looks to me that Ground Man himself is a pathetic boss that's easy for both characters to take out considering how slow he is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPA2Niy9924

I think I just suck, that's all, still getting used to the controls. I also personally dislike having to press the Pad forward twice to dash with Bass, would've preferred Down+Jump Button just like Mega Man's slide. Too used to that haha :laugh:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I dunno about that, this video right here says that while it can be pretty tough for Mega Man, this video here says Ground Man's stage is pretty easy with Bass (who I'm playing atm) and the only thing worth worrying about is the sandworm mini-boss with so much health, and boy does she make it look easy. Haven't reached him yet, but it also looks to me that Ground Man himself is a pathetic boss that's easy for both characters to take out considering how slow he is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPA2Niy9924

I think I just suck, that's all, still getting used to the controls. I also personally dislike having to press the Pad forward twice to dash with Bass, would've preferred Down+Jump Button just like Mega Man's slide. Too used to that haha :laugh:
Bass' dash simply works like it does in the X series. It took me some time to accomodate myself through :-p
But I'll definitely ent that game with Mega Man.
King Castle part 3 is annoying as heck because of the flash making boss, but I'll beat him someday >.<

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I must be the only one here that thinks that going through MM&B as Mega Man isn't that much of a big deal. Sure, some of the stages have annoying obstacles, but nothing mind-rending. I haven't attempted the King stages yet, but I don't expect to have THAT much trouble.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I must be the only one here that thinks that going through MM&B as Mega Man isn't that much of a big deal. Sure, some of the stages have annoying obstacles, but nothing mind-rending. I haven't attempted the King stages yet, but I don't expect to have THAT much trouble.
King 1 is easy. King 2 you'll want 9 lives. Wily 1 is okay just so long as you take your time (use MM's auto heal, farm worms with Bass).

MM&B is definitely the hardest in the series, and King 2 is long enough to fill 2-3 levels, but I do think that people overstate things about the game like MM1. If you want bad level design, go play MMII IMO.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
King 1 is easy. King 2 you'll want 9 lives. Wily 1 is okay just so long as you take your time (use MM's auto heal, farm worms with Bass).

MM&B is definitely the hardest in the series, and King 2 is long enough to fill 2-3 levels, but I do think that people overstate things about the game like MM1. If you want bad level design, go play MMII IMO.
Are you referring to the GB games? Because I've never played them.

But is MM&B as hard as MM 9 Superhero Mode?:troll: For the life of me I was never able to clear certain stages without Rush's help. I am referring specifically to the end segment of Galaxy Man's stage(you know, the part with the huge gap and dumb as hell warp holes).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Are you referring to the GB games? Because I've never played them.
They're worth playing, especially V. III is the worst Classic game, as the level design was flat out terrible IMO.

Wily's Revenge is the stereotypical early GB game.
II expands on it but it's pretty easy and the music is weird.
IV, I personally didn't care for, but it brings a lot of good ideas to the table.

But is MM&B as hard as MM 9 Superhero Mode?:troll: For the life of me I was never able to clear certain stages without Rush's help. I am referring specifically to the end segment of Galaxy Man's stage(you know, the part with the huge gap and dumb as hell warp holes).
I doubt it. It's easier than PU's hard mode IMO.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
They're worth playing, especially V. III is the worst Classic game, as the level design was flat out terrible IMO.

IV, I personally didn't care for, but it brings a lot of good ideas to the table.

I respect those games for the Mega Man Hunters

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Mega Man V is still the best of the 5 GB MM games because it has EVERYTHING :
  • New Robot Masters Based on the Solar System
  • A new charge shot that screws Enker's fighting style hard (I still find the Mega Arm kinda bad)
  • A FINAL BOSS THAT ISN'T WILY
  • A true plot for once
Seriously, Capcom made good on games for the GameBoys, and this game is one of them.
*Starts playing Oracle of Seasons & Minish Cap on his computer*

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869

I don't remember PU's Hard Mode being too hard, but I haven't played the game in a long while so I may have forgotten.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
So, back from my first tournament today.

Didn't even made it out of pools, lost 2 sets. Thing is, while i pretty much expected that since i neglected to actually practice, i didn't expected to go as bad as i did on the first set.

Not sure why but i was ridiculously nervous, my gameplay was a mess, like, there wasn't that many people even watching my match but i was so nervous that i could barely talk to my opponent. Heck when i went to shake his hand before the match even started, I was actually shaking.

Got bodied pretty badly in the first set. Somehow calmed down enough to stop shaking and play the second set, but still lost cause
i may or may not have jumped into pk missile my gameplay was all messed up.

Not taking away merit from my opponents, dudes where good, i just don't get why i was so nervous.
Patethic showcasing of Megaman gameplay from me, yikes.

Other than that, DAYUUUM, was it fun. A lot of people in the same place playing and talking about smash and pokemon, of all things.

Got there 20 minutes before opening, but there was a problem with the guard the place, so we got inside the building one hour later. Everyone was joking "I think the guard knows that the tourney will be full of Rosalina's so he won't let us in!" XD

So i just pulled my 3ds and started playing, being the socialy awkward **** that i am, i didn't even asked to play with the 3 people in front of me who were also playing, but they ended up asking me and we played till the guard let us in.

Anyways, will keep an eye out for whenever there is another tourney on my area, and try to practice and buy a controller so i don't have to borrow my friend's again. How do i put it, i'm frustrated by how bad i am, but i really want to try again.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Personal hardest Mega Man boss(es) from any game(s).

Go.

^ I HATE THIS BOSS

^ I collectively raged at all three phases back then.

^ Screw X6 as a whole, but aside from High Max and Gate I hate the Nightmare Mother the most. Freaking hobo Sigma was easier.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Personal hardest Mega Man boss(es) from any game(s).

Go.

^ I HATE THIS BOSS

^ I collectively raged at all three phases back then.

^ Screw X6 as a whole, but aside from High Max and Gate I hate the Nightmare Mother the most. Freaking hobo Sigma was easier.
Chill Penguin
Elec Man is pretty hard IMO

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Hardest boss? I'm gonna go a different route and say Apollo Flame SP. There were quite a few bosses in SF2 that were quite challenging at their strongest forms, but I think Apollo takes the cake. Sure, I have beaten him a couple of times but just knowing what he does in the fight is....ridiculous to say the least.

You know what? Thinking about it now, I'd be willing to say bosses in the RPG series give me more trouble as a whole than any of the traditional style of Mega Man games.

Drippy

Smash Ace
So, back from my first tournament today.

Didn't even made it out of pools, lost 2 sets. Thing is, while i pretty much expected that since i neglected to actually practice, i didn't expected to go as bad as i did on the first set.

Not sure why but i was ridiculously nervous, my gameplay was a mess, like, there wasn't that many people even watching my match but i was so nervous that i could barely talk to my opponent. Heck when i went to shake his hand before the match even started, I was actually shaking.

Got bodied pretty badly in the first set. Somehow calmed down enough to stop shaking and play the second set, but still lost cause
i may or may not have jumped into pk missile my gameplay was all messed up.

Not taking away merit from my opponents, dudes where good, i just don't get why i was so nervous.
Patethic showcasing of Megaman gameplay from me, yikes.

Other than that, DAYUUUM, was it fun. A lot of people in the same place playing and talking about smash and pokemon, of all things.

Got there 20 minutes before opening, but there was a problem with the guard the place, so we got inside the building one hour later. Everyone was joking "I think the guard knows that the tourney will be full of Rosalina's so he won't let us in!" XD

So i just pulled my 3ds and started playing, being the socialy awkward **** that i am, i didn't even asked to play with the 3 people in front of me who were also playing, but they ended up asking me and we played till the guard let us in.

Anyways, will keep an eye out for whenever there is another tourney on my area, and try to practice and buy a controller so i don't have to borrow my friend's again. How do i put it, i'm frustrated by how bad i am, but i really want to try again.

Dude you're exactly like me except this happened at both my first and second local and I'm extremely disappointed in myself. Well the first tournament I neglected practice while the second one I practiced a lot in preparation for but at tournaments my entire body shakes. I'm not even over-exaggerating, I get really nervous when I play and this greatly affects my gameplay because I can't think clearly or stay calm. Usually I play my opponent's game instead of playing my own game and that's when I begin to lose, like when my friend was giving me advice against this Link I was playing against, the dude started getting dumpstered. I found out his weaknesses and poor habits but the third and final game for us to play (the first game I SDed like first 10 seconds so I lost it, almost made a huge come back) I just got nervous again and again started playing his game and towards the end I was able to convince myself to play aggressive again and started beating him hard but he already had so much damage on me and a down-smash killed me.

I hope that the tournament two weeks from now I'll do better, especially since it's the tournament to determine the rankings of people in our city. Perhaps I won't make it on the list but I want to at least be able to actually advance after the first round instead of losing all the time. I also want to redeem my Mega Man because I KNOW that it's better than how I played him at the previous tournaments and I've been putting tons of work into him lately. I wish that I was also less shy too and just ask people for games but I just hang around my friend and talk with him instead of asking other people for games so I don't get much practice. Hopefully I'll be able to fix all of this at my next tournament.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Hardest boss? I'm gonna go a different route and say Apollo Flame SP. There were quite a few bosses in SF2 that were quite challenging at their strongest forms, but I think Apollo takes the cake. Sure, I have beaten him a couple of times but just knowing what he does in the fight is....ridiculous to say the least.

You know what? Thinking about it now, I'd be willing to say bosses in the RPG series give me more trouble as a whole than any of the traditional style of Mega Man games.
I can't help but agree with that... For some reason, the Gregar feels just way harder than most Wily Machines.
Althrough the Alien is just too hard to beat. If you miss too many Bubble Leads, you can't kill him anymore. Really, Wily ? -_-'

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I can't help but agree with that... For some reason, the Gregar feels just way harder than most Wily Machines.
Althrough the Alien is just too hard to beat. If you miss too many Bubble Leads, you can't kill him anymore. Really, Wily ? -_-'
He moves around in a fixed pattern, so hitting him with the Bubble Lead is the easy part.

Top Bottom