• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BRSTM Converter 3.0 - now supports MP3, VGM!

libertyernie

Smash Ace
BRSTM Converter
current version: 3.1 (April 18, 2012)
Visit homepage

Changes in 3.1:

Removed JLayer - MP3 support now uses libmad via SoX
Support for alternate output formats: WAV, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, .logg (looping Ogg), and MP3 (if libmp3lame.dll is present)
New, nicer-looking help dialog
Code refactoring - more of the work is now in the Music class, rather than in Main

Changes in 3.0:

Renamed - used to be "Rate Converter"
Redesigned options dialog
Direct support for MP3 files
Direct support for VGM/VGZ files using VGMPlay
Revolution B build code ported to Java from C

The description link and download are at the website in the link. That way I only have to update in one place.
The old version 2.8 is available here, in case I broke something by accident.

moosehunter

Smash Ace
I just want to say that the brstms created with this should only be for personal use, and shouldn't be shared on the music hub. We don't want people lowering the quality of brstms and submitting them.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Nope. But I might be able to add FLAC (and Vorbis) support by just having SoX (a program already included for editing the WAV files) do the conversion. I'm not sure about ALAC support because it's an Apple format.
How should the looping work for a FLAC file? Just start to end?

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I made a new version that supports WAV, FLAC and Ogg Vorbis, and also has a feature to amplify the audio by a given factor (e.g. 2.0 for double.)

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Lol, this is almost turning into BrawlBox's BRSTM maker.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Best to just use Sawndz for that - implementing it in here might be too much work for me. ;)
Stuff like adding WAV support and putting in amplification was easy, because SoX (which was in the package already) supported it.

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned via Warnings
The "amplify" thing does not really work if the BRSTM is at maximum amplitude, so if a BRSTM is too quiet, even when you amplified it already in Audacity or something, then amplifying it with Rate Converter does exactly the same as what any other thing would do, i.e. clip the audio and make it distorted. Is there any way of making a "too quiet even though maximum amplitude" BRSTM.... even louder without clipping?

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Not that I know of. Sorry.
I mostly put the amplitude function in so I could batch-convert VGMs that were converted to WAV by Winamp.

By the way, if you check "amplitude adjustment" and type "vgm" instead of a number, it will launch a hidden feature that lets you load VGM files and write a "outloop.txt", which can be used as the new loop.txt once you convert them to WAV.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I released version 2.6. The old version had a bug that mostly cropped up with victory themes (it caused BRSTM files and other vgmstream formats to loop from start to end, even if they weren't looping before.)

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Yea...
The amplify option doesn't raise the volume...

Jimmyi

Smash Rookie
for example:
java -jar "Rate Converter.jar" -r 16000 ABC.BRSTM

only down samplerate,and ouput file always loopstart error
(no change,same of source file)

but Rate Converter v1.0 no problem

sorry for my bad english.

Jimmyi

Smash Rookie
OK...IT'S WORK NOW,BUT NOT Accurate.

Some file loopstart is correct,some not.

Jimmyi

Smash Rookie
Kirby's Return to Dream Land:

menu02.brstm not Accurate.
but menu_06.brstm is correct.

Jimmyi

Smash Rookie
kawasaki02.brstm not accurate too.
so many file's loopstart are not accurate.
test this game only. please fix it.thanks.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Calm down.
Libertyernie will get back to you when he can.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Bumped this thread for 2.8. Apparently I forgot to bump it for 2.7? Jimmyi, your problem should be fixed now. If it's not send me the BRSTM that doesn't work in a PM.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Good. You bumped the thread. I've been having a problem with this.

I'm using the .VGM extension of this, and I've been getting loop points like this. IDK what's up with that. Can you provide me an answer to the problem? Here's the VGM set I used.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I think the problem is due to the VGM files being gzip-compressed, but having a VGM extension instead of VGZ, so Rate Converter doesn't notice the compression. I'll try to fix that in the next version.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Huh.
Renaming the VGM's to VGZ gives me accurate loop points. Strange...

libertyernie

Smash Ace
That's good to know! You won't need to do that for the next version. I've been working on this program and finding a lot of ways I could improve it. Hopefully the next version will have support for MP3s (using the JLayer library) and directly converting VGM files (with VGMPlay).

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I've uploaded version 3.0! There are a lot of new features (direct MP3 and VGM support as well as a redesigned options dialog) so I skipped version 2.9.
You can get it at the website.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
In the next version I will be adding the ability to output to FLAC, WAV, or Ogg Vorbis files.
Should I include support for outputting .logg files too? They're Ogg Vorbis files with loop start and end information encoded in the metadata, and you can play them with the vgmstream plugin for Winamp. I'd have to include 90 KB extra libraries to write the metadata but it might be worth it.

Top Bottom