• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Brother from another MOTHER". Lucas Smash Ultimate Discussion thread.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman

Lucas feels incomplete and rushed as DLC for a couple of reasons and deserves more polish.
1) Reuses more animations of Ness even though he had his own unique animations in Brawl. (Final Smash and item idle animation)
2) He has Unused References to Custom Moves (Explained more in detail here, discovered by me), which is structured like the other non-dlc fighters including an unused 4th custom move Which data can be loaded if you try modding the moveset files.
3) Some tips aren't accurate since launch and most likely are supposed to work like Brawl's version of his Up-Smash which is the 5th Strongest in the game not the strongest and cannot attack opponents under the stage on most of the cast.
4) He has an unused fair hitbox (Discovered by me)
On the OpenSa wiki (which documents data of the Smash Bros. Series, mostly Brawl though) it makes me question whether or not he was developed before Mewtwo since his VC and SFX Bank are ordered with the non-dlc fighters. (Before Olimar's soundbank and after Diddy's soundbank)

So far there's polish seen in Lucas, though there's still more information for him to be discovered in the future.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Yeah I'm hoping he'll return. It seems much more likely than last game since he has popularity backing him up.

Laniv

Smash Lord
My main from Brawl and secondary from Smash 4. I'm hoping he comes back.

D

Deleted member

I hope Lucas returns, he was one of my top 3 favorite newcomers from Brawl.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Lucas constantly switches to my number 1 and 2 favorite character. I would PK Love him to return!

Morbi

Scavenger
You never know, if Nintendo has Mother 3 planned, they could reveal him as a marketing character. That being said, just the mere fact that he was cut last time leaves me a bit skeptical, not going to lie.

D

Deleted member

Definitely in for Lucas's return because dang it, I love him and I'd buy the next Smash just to play him all over again. He's my #1 wish for all Smash games and my favorite video game character.

Seeing Lucas and one of Bomberman, King K. Rool, and Bandana Dee show up is my top priority and you bet I will support him everywhere.

Bring back the sunflower child and make him a mainstay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
One of my favorite characters! I was so sad when he didn't appear in SSB4
But when I saw him coming as DLC...
OMG
19399010_1339883666130213_3802038928764266503_n.jpg

This image represents my feelings on that moment

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I sincerely hope to see lil Lucas back again.... tbh I’d love to see new specials on him, or at the very least PK LOVE as a proper final smash...I mean cmon

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they'll remove Lucas from the roster again. When he was removed from 4, I remember that a lot of people really wanted him to return - myself included! He eventually returned as DLC, of course, but when that was announced, Iwata said "We've heard your requests!", which indicates to me that the team knows now that there's demand for Lucas to be included in Smash. :) Since that happened with 4, I think he'll be included in the next game.

I definitely want him to return! He's a lot of fun to play and I missed him when he wasn't available in 4.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I loved Ness in 64, and Lucas took that spot in my heart by Brawl.
But if this game is in fact a reboot of the series, and that's something I've grown to really want, I cannot justify Lucas having a real shot.
Honestly, I'd prefer a combination of alt moves and alt characters. I know Lucas has other unique gameplay styles, but that is also something that has been utilized in other games- there are Mortal Kombat games where the characters can switch entire fighting styles. I'd like to see that utilized in Smash, making more alt characters a feasible possibility.

D

Deleted member

If Lucas doesn't return for this game, and let's hope he does, how should we go about campaigning for his inclusion? One of my hopes is that he becomes a mainstay in the franchise even after the game's roster inevitable reboots after so many titles.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well considering it's been speculated that this game will be akin to Splatoon 2 in that it will be a sequel but reusing a lot of assets then the only characters that are actually in danger are the 3rd parties because of renegotiating the rights again.

Hopefully Lucas gets a codex, custom moves, and an exclusive event along with the other DLC characters.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well considering it's been speculated that this game will be akin to Splatoon 2 in that it will be a sequel but reusing a lot of assets then the only characters that are actually in danger are the 3rd parties because of renegotiating the rights again.

Hopefully Lucas gets a codex, custom moves, and an exclusive event along with the other DLC characters.
Unless they negotiated the rights for two titles, which would make sense given they knew they were developing another Smash simultaneously. Beyond that, regardless of third-party characters, Lucas is not necessarily safe just because. I am willing to be that they will announced the Switch VC with Mother 3 localized and he might as well be confirmed at that point, but you never know. I am sure that a few cuts will happen regardless of how much time they had. It has always happened outside of Smash 64 to Melee.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
100% sure he returns.

Sakurai‘s reason for his DLC-inclusion was the fan request.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Since a popular topic is Link and Mario possibly be tweeked a bit in their moveset. What possibly moveset changes for Lucas do you want?

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Since a popular topic is Link and Mario possibly be tweeked a bit in their moveset. What possibly moveset changes for Lucas do you want?
Give Lucas run faster than Toon Link or Bowser since they are higher than him on the tier list. Probably some Pm stuff such as offense up but that can be a custom move instead. Better kill options than just down-throw.
Return the Zap Jump and Magnet Pull. I actually created a mod to restore those abilities in Sm4sh.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm hoping for more variety in Mother music this time.

Primarily we need this in Smash.

PF9

Smash Lord
In a story mode, I'd like Ness, Lucas, Toon Link and Villager to have a plot line together - they pretty much are the youngest characters in the game.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
WARNING: Lengthy post ahead.
Seeing how Lucas has unused reference to custom moves and not Roy, I believe that he was planned to be added near the end of the development (not when the trio clones were added). Just how the forbidden seven were added later in Brawl and then cut. If I were to guess judging from this picture I found, I would say that he would've been added afterJigglypuff started development, but before the three clones (I believe Dr Mario used the DMario slot from Brawl because that slot was ordered after Sonic). Knowing how Jigglypuff is low priority and how easy she is to make, I think Lucas would've been developed around that time since he's also easy to make and not a priority he could've only been meant to be an "extra character". Again just like the forbidden seven in brawl. Plus in the picture where BJ and Shulk come before Jigglypuff, Sakurai said that Shulk wasn't an easy character to make, and BJ almost got cut. So I think that's why those two characters were placed there. I also believe that Lucas would've been a secret character as well. If a player would unlock characters only in VS mode, Jigglypuff is the last one to unlock in the 3DS. and the Duck Hunt on the Wii U(remember he's supposed to be a surprise and Sakruai originally want all characters form the start in the Wii U version). The character VS unlock matches follows the same order like in Brawl. Therefore, I think Lucas would come after Jigglypuff and the Duck Hunt in the Wii U version. Overall, I think Lucas was cut in favor for other characters like Shulk and BJ. The development team also had to focus two games. Similar to Brawl's development cycle where one team worked on the main game and the other on the SEE. So that could also be a factor.
NOTE: Keep in mind this is speculation and this picture shows possibly shows the slot order. Smb123w64gb hacked the game a while ago to see if there were any unused slots.
Picture is by smb123w64gb and not by me.
IMG_20180207_225413.jpg

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So Friday is the 12th anniversary of Mother 3. I hope there's a Nintendo or Smash Direct on Friday. So it would probably reveal Lucas for Smash or Mother 3 for the West.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I couldn't get a chance yesterday, but Happy 12th Anniversary Mother 3!

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Happy birthday to M3 indeed! I just finished a playthrough last week, totally forgot the anniversary was coming up. Nice timing!

Too bad we didn't hear anything, but I can't imagine Lucas will be absent from Smash 5.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
It's cool that Lani Minella did recently sing Lucas for the song Freddy Freaker, I wanted her to say PK Flash, so she did say it. Look in the comments for that.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I know I shouldn't be negative, but is anyone a tad worried about Lucas returning? I'm hoping his return as DLC is a testament to how popular he is and how destroyed we all were when he wasn't in the base game, but I can't help but feel Sakurai may think of him as expendable again.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
I know I shouldn't be negative, but is anyone a tad worried about Lucas returning? I'm hoping his return as DLC is a testament to how popular he is and how destroyed we all were when he wasn't in the base game, but I can't help but feel Sakurai may think of him as expendable again.
Won't lie, I have some concern about Lucas.
It's part of the reason I'm hoping the "no cuts" thing is true.

D

Deleted member 396530

Yeah. Sakurai Made Lucas angry in this Picture. Please Other photo.

D

Deleted member 396530

nothing. so watch a 2018 event from smash bros Until THE game´s Release.

Aross Lucas is Back!

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I screamed when I saw Kuma and Boney show up. If Duster ends up being an AT like Jeff my inner Mother fanboy would just be so happy.

And look at this! They made PSI Magnet's effects resemble the diamonds of Mother 3's PSI Shield!

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Lucas finally uses his original PK Starstorm animation from Brawl instead of using Ness'!

I'm not sure if Lucas' Nair has a better autocancel window. I counted the frame of his nair, though it has some duplicate frames from the footage so I'm not sure if the startup hitbox is on frame 5 or 7 like in sm4sh.
He was able to autocancel on this frame.

Last edited:
Top Bottom