• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Broken Circle Pads...

HannahChimes

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hannahchimes2.0
3DS FC
4957-5712-4854
Lots of people are suffering different varieties of the broken circle pad.
Maybe we can compile the easiest/cheapest fixes for each different break.
For mine, just the cap broke straight off, but I know others' have broken in VERY different ways...

Last edited:

HannahChimes

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hannahchimes2.0
3DS FC
4957-5712-4854
Here's a picture showing exactly how mine broke:

I know some people's have broken differently, in some cases breaking the grey piece in half, etc...
What is the cheapest replacement for this?
I shouldn't need to replace my actual joystick inside the DS, right?
Will a joystick cap be enough? Or will I have to buy a full joystick base as well?
The only reason I'm asking is because all the tutorials on youtube show people taking the whole thing apart and replacing both.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Lots of people are suffering different varieties of the broken circle pad.
Maybe we can compile the easiest/cheapest fixes for each different break.
For mine, just the cap broke straight off, but I know others' have broken in VERY different ways...

I know some people's have broken differently, in some cases breaking the grey piece in half, etc...
Will a joystick cap be enough? Or will I have to buy a full joystick base as well?
The only reason I'm asking is because all the tutorials on youtube show people taking the whole thing apart and replacing both.
This is stll an issue? I mean it's not like there's that much inputs compared to Melee right?

Well I mean your 3DS's circle pad could have had a different structure than the previous 3DS models. I mean sure my circle pad personally is probably a little worn out from playing the game a lot but not broken.

I'm honestly not sure how a problem like this can be fixed. I mean I know probably not to say superglue it back on. If it just popped rght off it's gotta mean something to fixing this right?

HannahChimes

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hannahchimes2.0
3DS FC
4957-5712-4854
This is stll an issue? I mean it's not like there's that much inputs compared to Melee right?

Well I mean your 3DS's circle pad could have had a different structure than the previous 3DS models. I mean sure my circle pad personally is probably a little worn out from playing the game a lot but not broken.

I'm honestly not sure how a problem like this can be fixed. I mean I know probably not to say superglue it back on. If it just popped rght off it's gotta mean something to fixing this right?
I don't know about different structures, but I know the best temp fix I've found was hot glue, rather than superglue.
However, even that one falls off after ten minutes playing Smash.
It works fine for Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing, though.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I don't know about different structures, but I know the best temp fix I've found was hot glue, rather than superglue.
However, even that one falls off after ten minutes playing Smash.
It works fine for Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing, though.
I honestly think this is something Nintendo should fix. I thought there was like some sort of warranty Nintendo had for their systems.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I have the game since the release and my circle pad still feel as if it was new. I must be lucky.

Zeriora

Smash Apprentice
I had the exact same problem, just some super glue and its fixed, been 5 months since it broke, still in good shape.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
I have an Ambassador 3DS, and about a month after getting Smash, the rubber cap came off, even though I'm not particularly rough. That said, I was playing Kid Icarus Uprising before that... However, with the old 3DS, there is a smaller plastic circle shaped like the cap. It's slippery to the touch though, making it hard to use.

My solution? Super Glue. :3
Just make sure to keep your paws off the DS until at least a few hours have passed, for best results. My fix has lasted for months, somewhere around 6 or so months. Only downside is that I don't know what else to use the glue on. :p My pad feels no different than before. It also has survived 280+ hours of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

Now to see if it continues holding despite my new discovery of ATs in Smash...

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
im the rarer case i guess instead of the circle pad having any problems the top screen actually came outta socket and i actually ended up breaking part of the shoulder part just to put it back into place but super glued that SOB and we all good :chuckle:

D

Deleted member

Mine isn't broken at all, but whenever I want to move the pad, it's painfully slow at doing so. I may need to get a New 3DS XL at some point, anyway.

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
Eh, mine broke off maybe two months ago, but I actually play better without it since it was getting kinda oily.

BunniDillion

Smash Rookie
Lets not forget it also depends on how the player uses the 3ds, some use it gently, some use it violently, I kinda give my 3ds a hard time moving the pad but luckilly its still in place and not worn out.

Burritotoad

Smash Rookie
NNID
Burritotoad
3DS FC
3222-6453-9602
My control stick isn't broken, but the rubber part ripped off and my shoulder buttons don't work anymore (partially blaming Mario Kart) and I kinda expected that to happen, I broke three GC controllers playing Melee

PowerPuffPlayer

Smash Apprentice

Mine broke just like that!
And I still play Smash 3ds with that broken circle pad.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Don't use the circle pad violently. There's no reason to do so. I've played both the 3DS and Wii U version with no problems whatsoever because I'm gentle enough with the control. I'd understand if it was Street Fighter with the inputs, but Smash doesn't require such harsh treatment of the circle pad or analog sticks.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Nothing happened to me, but on the Wii U, I feel like the R button is kinda weak, due to using both the L and R buttons to shield

Raythegamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
StrikerZ
3DS FC
1864-9222-9909
Lol today while I was playing SSB4,I saw a small crack on the plastic part of my 3DS.I was like,Oh god it's not gonna live for a long time...

AJL

Smash Cadet
NNID
jplacura
3DS FC
3110-5257-7666
Lol today while I was playing SSB4,I saw a small crack on the plastic part of my 3DS.I was like,Oh god it's not gonna live for a long time...
And that's exactly how my Circle Pad broke. 145 dollars to fix that plus some other stuff. On the plus side it took literally 2 days for me to get my 3DS back after sending it in. Might be because I live an hour drive from where you have to send it though.

Zelduh!

Smash Cadet
You guys must be playing pretty rough to be breaking the circle pads like OP. I've read a lot of incidents like this and it seems to be common, regarding a fix you could try investing in a circle pad pro.

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
This has never been a problem for me, but it dods seem like a temporary fix woulqbe glue, like everyone else has been saying. It is a bit pricey and time consuming to send it to Nintendo if you don't have the warranty.

Yogurt

Smash Cadet
mine broke off and so I just crazy glued the rubber part upside down and it hasn't fallen since

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
My control stick isn't broken, but the rubber part ripped off and my shoulder buttons don't work anymore (partially blaming Mario Kart) and I kinda expected that to happen, I broke three GC controllers playing Melee
3 GameCube Controllers?! How did you manage that? I know Melee's fast, but bloody hell! :grin:

Anyway, that aside, I do admit my circle pad's rubber tops coming off, but it only has done it partially, and it's still stuck on. (My R button's gone too, although in my case it was Sonic: Lost World that broke it) Was that broken shot a 3DS XL?

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
Mine has no longer any rubber, but the plastic circle below works more than good.
So if I ripped mine off, i would still have grip? :grin: Still, at least it's usable, unlike that broken circle pad above... ;)

1FC0

Smash Lord
Does this still happen with the New 3DS?
It does happen with the New 3DS XL. My New 3DS XL's circle pad broke. After that happened I bought a metal circle pad and placed that in my New 3DS XL. Now I have a New 3DS XL with a metal circle pad that will likely stay whole for a long time to come.

Top Bottom