• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Broken Bananas and Pestering Peanuts: The General Diddy Guide V1.0 Complete!!!~

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
There is the Monkey Flip Kick Cancel where you MFK on-stage so that you'll perfectly land on the "lip" of the platform/stage, causing you to fall off and instantly be able to do something.

Player-1

Smash Legend
There is the Monkey Flip Kick Cancel where you MFK on-stage so that you'll perfectly land on the "lip" of the platform/stage, causing you to fall off and instantly be able to do something.
that's not what I'm talking about...I'm saying you can do the Monkey flip kick anywhere on the stage (as long as it's not slanted or something) and land anywhere on the stage and cancel it so you have no landing lag at all...

flytai45

Smash Rookie
great guide man i might decide to re main diddy after reading this. (stopped because metaknight appealed to me)

KiraNumber7

Smash Apprentice
diddy can cancel his pop gun charge by blocking or air dodging, i think thats kinda neat and useful for bating and just plain ol mind games

i didnt see that on there, but i skimmed a lil, so sorry if it is there

gjp210

Smash Rookie
Great Guide and how can you glide toss in those other ways without c stick? cuz i use wiimote=(
I use wii mote as well and i change my controls so the control pad works as a c-stick, i find it very helpful, especially for GTing.

I was hoping to get some tips though on how to pull out my nanas more effectivly because sometimes when i bring out bananas i just let my opponent get right to them and it isnt effective, and I was wondering how diddy wiimote players z-catch bananas cuz, i use 1 to grab and it quite a reach, and a + b together just ends in disaster.

It said under banana plucking that it was gunna talk more about it later , but i didnt see anything.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
well one thing about pulling nanas is plucking them when you're absolutely safe from opponents reach
i usually pull them out at the beginning against slow chars and whenever they're offstage or off screen
its also helpful to pluck them when youre coming down from a vertical hit or while recovering if safe

sai_:)

Smash Ace
or pluck right after a throw. just dont pluck randomly whenever you need one. only do it when ur opponent is in a position where he wont be able to punish it.

Variable

Smash Ace
Great guide, best I've seen of my past mains.. Just recently have been using Diddy, and haven't been disapointed yet, his playstyle is good, and he has good match-ups. Thanks for the help.

DOODE

Smash Cadet
I don't understand the instant throwing at all, when I air dodge to catch a banana it doesn't let me throw it till the air dodge is done which makes it slower than z-catching> throw. Can you explain it better please???

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand the instant throwing at all, when I air dodge to catch a banana it doesn't let me throw it till the air dodge is done which makes it slower than z-catching> throw. Can you explain it better please???
just input the cstick command almost instantly after the airdodge

Vega4

Smash Ace
Thanks for making this topic.

just input the cstick command almost instantly after the airdodge
I also have had problem doing instant throwing, but it's like Grizzer says, you have to do it pretty fast.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Thanks for making this topic.

I also have had problem doing instant throwing, but it's like Grizzer says, you have to do it pretty fast.
Yeah, you probably have the same amount of time you have when switching directions with your popgun, if not a little less.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Is this ever going to get updated? I think they should make some chnge. I'll list some of them

1.thisshould be added to Cons: two of his projectiles can be caught by his opponents(bananas and peanuts)
2. Bair should get a 5/5 because it is a great move and it is proven to have more range than all of his other aerials
3. No disjointed hitboxes should be taken out of his cons since he does have disjointed hitboxes

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Is this ever going to get updated? I think they should make some chnge. I'll list some of them

1.thisshould be added to Cons: two of his projectiles can be caught by his opponents(bananas and peanuts)
2. Bair should get a 5/5 because it is a great move and it is proven to have more range than all of his other aerials
3. No disjointed hitboxes should be taken out of his cons since he does have disjointed hitboxes
1. That's not a bad idea to be included; new players need to realize this as soon as possible.

2. I think 4/5 is perfect for B-Air seeing as it has much less priority and knockback and damage than F-Air, which is a clear 5/5 move. F-Air has so much utility and is useful in so many situations; B-Air you just kinda throw out and hope it hits, and then hope they get knocked far enough away for you to retreat. I am NOT saying it's a bad move, but if we're rating moves from 1 to 5, if F-Air is a 5, B-Air should stay a 4.

3. I agree with this. F-Tilt (all angles), B-Air, BARELY F-Air, U-Tilt, D-Tilt (barely), D-Air (beneath Diddy), MFK, U-Air, U-Smash, F-Smash, D-Smash (barely), N-Air lol j/k, and even his get-up attacks have crazy disjoints if you want to be thorough. While none of these moves have CRAZY disjointedness (I think B-Air has the most, and it's still not much... Though our >100% Ledge Get-Up Attack does practically hit halfway across the stage). It is true that one doesn't NEED a sword to have disjoints, but it should also be mentioned that if you're playing against someone who DOES have a sword, well, none of the above moves have nearly the disjointedness needed to compete with the opponent (hence why the Marth MU is such a pain in the ***).

My turn!

1) Neither Jab > Grab nor Jab > Jab > Grab are legit combos. That is a bit misleading in the Jab section.

2) You NEED include something about how dangerous it is to Dash Attack into someone's Shield. When Brawl first came out, nobody knew how to beat it, but now everyone and their mother can Shield Grab you out of it. It isn't the "This is a great move, use it a lot" kind of move the Dash Attack section makes it out to be.

3) You may want to add that F-Tilt is the longest ranged attack we have, if only marginally.

4) I would avoid recommending players to go for a Grab after 2+ D-Tilts. Good players will react and punish quickly.

5) F-Smash should be 4/5, POSSIBLY 3.5/5, due to how many people now know how to SDI the first hit.

6) You can take out the "Popgun stops planking" part, because it's just not true. You also need to find some way to say it's good for camping.

7) You sorta mentioned it, but I think you could directly say "You can Barrel Spike someone trying to shark you."

8) Oh god, PLEASE mention something about the MFK's priority against projectile spammers! It's vital vs. spammy Tinks and Link mains (and others I'm forgetting).

9) The wording on U-Throw is odd... From experience, I know that you were trying to say that U-Throw is good to use against Snake, but the way you said it sounds funny.

10) Okay, Jebus, you're right about one thing, for the love of god get rid of the sentence "Even though the range on Bair is quite pitiful, that hardly makes the move any less viable." IT IS OUR LONGEST RANGED AERIAL!! Its range is ANYTHING but pitiful!

11) You might as well make N-Air 1/5 and be done with it. It has, like, negative disjointedness, and it generally sucks. Does anyone still use it except by accident?

12) Personally, I'd bump up U-Air from 3 to 3.5 or MAYBE 4. It is CRAZY disjointed, a lot more than most give it credit for.

I'd keep critiquing but I have class. There's some food for thought for y'all :)

We should make a Wiki page and then make a formal post. Hell, I'll do it.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Double post, sorry

So, I'm not the biggest fan of the current guide seeing as it was written by one person and is out-of-date. So, I made this group that has a discussion topic for every move. If you guys could join the group and comment on the moves you want to comment on, I think we could get some actually useful information gathered to later be put into a post. Right now I only have a group for the moveset, not the ATs or anything like that. So please, join and post!

The Diddy Community Guide to Diddy Kong - Part 1: The Moveset

joshcorris

Smash Cadet
Ingulit, is bair really our best-ranged aerial? I thought fair beat it in range? Not to downplay bair, I think it's a wonderful/versatile technique.

RoanYagyu

Smash Journeyman
Fair is just more active and wider (taller technically) , bair has like a few pixels more horizontal range tho :X

Top Bottom