• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bring Back Philly

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
BRING BACK PHILLY

111 S. Easton Rd.
Glenside, PA 19038

The Philadelphia area never seems to have any regular tournaments; this is meant to test the waters and see how many people in the area show interest. If we can get enough people to come, then this could certainly become a monthly event. The venue owner really wants to start running regular SSBM tournaments, and if you want the same, then we need you to show interest.

Setups:
The venue owner has boxes full of Gamecubes and Wii's, and around 6 Tube TV's along with 2 that I can bring. So the only thing we really need is multiple copies of Melee with memory cards and maybe some more TV's. I tried the monitors in the venue myself and they were pretty good with very minimal lag, but Tube TV's are just better. We also plan on moving all those game racks and setting up tables so that there's more room to play. If there are any more questions about the venue, I'll try to keep the thread updated and answer them here.

Travel Info:
There's a PNC Bank right next to the venue that has free parking if you drive around the corner to Bickley Rd, which is the street behind the building.

For anyone that wants to take the subway/train, the venue is right across the street from the Glenside Train Station.

Date:

July 21, 2012

Price:

Venue fee: $10
Singles: $10
Doubles: $20 ($10 per person)

Schedule:

Setup and Friendlies - (10:30AM - 12:00PM)
Registration - (12:00PM - 1:00PM)
Doubles Start ~ (1:30PM)
Singles registration closes and Singles Pools Start ~ (3:00PM)
We finish when we can, but preferably earlier than 11:30PM.

Payouts:

Note: Since this is the first smash tournament at this particular venue, the shop owner has offered to throw in some extra prizes that are yet to be determined.

Singles

Under 16 Entrants
1st Place: 60%
2nd Place: 30%
3rd Place: 10%

16-32 entrants
1st Place: 55%
2nd Place: 30%
3rd Place: 15%

32+ Entrants
1st Place: 50%
2nd Place: 25%
3rd Place: 15%
4th Place: 10%

Doubles

Under 8 teams
1st Place: 70%
2nd Place: 20%
3rd Place: 10%

8+ teams
1st place: 60%
2nd place: 30%
3rd place: 10%

Rules:

Official Melee Ruleset 2012
Jungle Japes is banned
Sets are Best 2/3 until Quarter Finals
Quarter Finals and on are all Best 3/5

From here I'm still tossing some ideas around. I'd like to throw in some extra counterpick stages and I'm open for input. Also, tell me if you guys need anymore information and I'll try to keep updating accordingly.

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
Those monitors don't look like tube tv's. How are we on setups?
Thank you for pointing that out, I forgot to include stuff about setups in the initial post. I have it updated now with answers to any questions on the matter.

namlolman

Smash Rookie
Yes! So excited for this! :D

Will bring Melee and a memory card. Can also bring my Wii if more are needed. TV broke -_-

SneakyDave

Smash Cadet
im coming from that area, i think ima jus take regional rail tho > to metal reeper > then get ride to venue

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
This tournament is relative to my interests, greatly. Will be my second ever, but I intend to learn and be *****. Hopefully some locals show to make me feel good lol.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I def want to go it's right by my house. My frien'ds Preston and Ale will be attending they have only been playing for 3 months but they are really good for the time they'veput into the game. I believe Cactuar and Velocity have also showed interest as the venue is pretty close to their houses. Chainaice and Jersey is also interested....I really want Eggm and Strict to attend. + 3-4 friend's that the TO is bringing. It's going to be great. And hopefully my little brother. Craziest Falcon main you've ever met...oh and Dave Park is ok. No Ca$h the legend may attend.

Chroma

Smash Apprentice
I'll still be out of state then, but I'm super excited about the possibility of locals near Philly and would nearly definitely go in August/regular school year.

Hypeeeeeeeeee

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
The fact that this is on the same day as Rage hurts Pittsburghs potential chances of going.
Although I'd be ecstatic if the Pitt crew came to this, I was shooting for a more local player base so as to kick-start monthlies in the Philadelphia area.

Just so it's clear though, any and all players are welcome to come to this if they please.

SneakyDave

Smash Cadet
we need more hype for this!

the smashfest was cool... 6 tv's?
needed more chairs and AC tho =]

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
this should be dope. is there free parking nearby?
Yeah there is, right around the back is a PNC parking lot.

As for the hype factor, I'm about to get an official update on the extra prizes that the venue host is providing.

Top Bottom