• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brilliant Stage Guard Tech Discovered by Ranai

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
So brilliant, it can be considered overpowered.

Well, maybe at least the first time it's performed on an opponent, because after one time, it is very easy to see it coming.

Enough blathering. In one match with Ranai. Ranai set up a sapling on the ledge and semi-watered it. This made the opponent's getup optioms very limited. If he/she did a normal getup, they will be punished by the tree.

Jump getup. Tree punish.

Attack getup. Tree punish.

Roll getup was punished by utilt. I believe Fsmash is a better option though.

Again, this is incredibly effective and after a few battles with the Springfield Smashers, it works like a miracle.

Last edited:

Tommy - S.N.

http://i.imgur.com/QAKFpPF.gif <--- DAZ ME :]]]
NNID
TheTommy10200
And all you have to do is roll to the ledge and then perfect pivot. Beautiful Ranai, simply beautiful. Simply... Simplistic. :rotfl:

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
Zero mentioned this in his Villager analysis I believe. It's great at higher percents, but at lower percents it's better to cover options with a chopped tree (becomes somewhat of a 50/50) because it kills much earlier

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Or you could just chill at the ledge and wait for the tree to rise up.

A thread wasn't really needed for one particular edgeguarding setup tho. Maybe edit the thread title to invite people to share their own ledge-option covering setups?

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Or you could just chill at the ledge and wait for the tree to rise up.

A thread wasn't really needed for one particular edgeguarding setup tho. Maybe edit the thread title to invite people to share their own ledge-option covering setups?
I made it a thread because this stageguard tech is very effective, and not too many Villager's know about it.

Also we all love Ranai.

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
Another good option for ledge guarding is uptilt. Just wait for the getup animation and uptilt at the ledge to cover almost every option except roll, or stand at the edge to bait a roll and walk and uptilt anyway. It's like a 50-50 situation and works great if you don't have time to set up a sapling.

trevskeet

Smash Cadet
NNID
trevskeet
So I keep messing around with this tactic in some FG matches--planting saplings by the ledge, mainly trying to catch them in a roll to practice my follow-ups for that. Two things came out of this:

1. I've already brought this up and AnchorTea AnchorTea answered, but I need some clarification and don't have the controller abilities to test it myself. I know you can push someone with the can during a shield into roll; I caught a Fox who was right over my sapling, and while they attempted to roll behind me I canned them and basically halted their movement, they just rolled in place and got taken away by the treerectus....sadly, didn't save the reply. But, my question is, does the roll from the ledge have different invincibility/hitboxless properties from a roll out of a shield?

2. This isn't exclusive to edge guarding, it just happened that way at the end of this match. Thought I'd share in case no one was aware of how easy it is to trap someone in an aerial attack right over/by your sapling.

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
And all you have to do is roll to the ledge and then perfect pivot. Beautiful Ranai, simply beautiful. Simply... Simplistic. :rotfl:
Wait, I'm having a hard time picturing this. Can you describe it again?

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Wait, I'm having a hard time picturing this. Can you describe it again?
K so for an example, you roll as far as possible towards the left side of the stage so that villagers back is facing the
Then you perfect pivot towards the right so that villagers face faces towards the blastzone
then you hit downb

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
K so for an example, you roll as far as possible towards the left side of the stage so that villagers back is facing the
Then you perfect pivot towards the right so that villagers face faces towards the blastzone
then you hit downb
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, I understand now, thanks. This makes it easier to plant a tree on the ledge :D

Top Bottom