• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breath of the Wild Link in Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Link has had multiple iterations in the Smash Brothers series, with Adult Link, Young Link, and Toon Link. So if Link got a new semi-clone based on the new amazing game Breath of the Wild, here is how I think his moveset would be like.

Neutral B:
Bow - this link is able to move and jump while charging his bow.

Side B:
Throw / Magnesis - Link throws his sword which does the damage and knockback of a smash attack. Link cannot use any of his normal, aerial, or smash attacks without his sword. If this ability is used when the sword has already been thrown it will activate magnesis which will pull the sword back towards Link. If Link's sword was thrown off the map or picked up by an enemy Link will have to wait on a cooldown for his sword to respawn similar to Luma's cooldown. The sword cannot be caught mid air after being thrown.

Up B:
Spin Attack - after an aerial spin attack is preformed this Link will automatically begin gliding on his paraglider.

Down B:
Remote Bomb - throws a bomb that can be remotely detonated by pressing down b when a bomb is already active. While it has a larger blast radius than Links bomb, it also has a significantly longer cooldown. The remote bomb will not detonate unless you detonate it.

Final Smash:
Ancient Arrow - works like an aimable but slightly less powerful version of Zelda's ult.

Grab:
Grab - there is no claw shot in Breath of the Wild so this link has a standard grab and no tether recovery.

Other Info:
This Link has the same weight as Toon Link.
This Link can wall cling but not wall jump.

While this link does have drawbacks like more cooldowns, less weight, and no tether grab, his moves are generally more powerful / versatile. This is because it is accurate to the differences between the games, but also because basic Link (just isn't that strong). So I was hoping to make a B tier character than a D tier character.

I hope my ideas are both balanced, accurate, and unique. I'd love to hear feedback. The biggest thing I'm conflicted on though is what this Link would be called. It doesn't make sense to call him "New Link" or "Half Toon Link". Or how about "Hawt Link" because we all know how Reggie feels ;). I really don't know what this character would be called.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's cool and all, there's enough in BotW to make a new semi-clone for Link, but if anything BotW Link is just going to replace main Link. In appearance mostly, I doubt they change the moveset much... and even then taking him out of his green tunic in Smash is a pretty bold move... but I guess they did that for the main Zelda... so...

The thing I still hope for with Link is if you're holding a bomb and press B, Link nocks a bomb arrow instead of a normal one. And BotW just helps the case for that.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I feel like at most, his tunic is going to be a palette swap for Twilight Link much like they did with the Skyloft outfit for SS Link. I don't think they're going to replace the Link's again for this game (of course I know you didn't imply that and all but still)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just to clarify I dont actually think they are gonna add a new link semi clone. This really is just a wish list of the moveset I would want if the breath of the wild link was added. Yeah its more likely to just be a new skin. I am certainly not asking for this link to replace the current link. I was thinking wild link could be a new semi clone. Meaning Link, Toon Link, and Wild Link would all be different smash characters.

I was looking for feedback on my make believe semi clone, because yeah I agree and already knew that if anything its most likely going to be a skin or trophy.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I think it's a great idea. Botw has got so much to work with they could easily create a new character. It'll be criminal not to use at least some of it in a new smash game.
Likely scenario might be that the paraglider could be added into up B and we'd get a nice alt along with a new taunt or victory screen (the Urbosa's Fury dance Link does when he gets that power would be a great idea).
In all honesty I'd say Zelda would probably get a touch up with using the sheikah slate and champion powers, seeing as how its in her artwork for the game and like the goddess powers from ocarina of time they can easily be given to her character and still make perfect sense.

Also N3ON N3ON bomb arrows? genius. I never knew I needed that until now.

@Jnaejnae

With all the rules up, would you like to change this to be the official BotW Link support thread, ir would tou prefer I lock this one so someone else can take the reigns?

You will be asked to take any responsibilities an OP would need to take if you decide to keep it open.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
BotW Link is worthy of being his own character separate from the main Link which I hope gets updated to his Hyrule Warriors design.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I could see some BoTW influences on Link's design this time round. Similar to how Sm4sH Link is basically TP Link in the style of Skyward Sword.

It's a pity. I wished they sticked with OoT Link.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Ura Ura : While OoT Link is quite iconic, that would've meant sticking to the OoT versions of Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf which...would have been nice, actually. I was never a fan of the TP designs.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the OoT, WW and TP design's are in a class of their own in terms of recognizability by now. I think the design's that come close to them are the ALttP and NES design's.

Though I guess I wouldn't mind seeing some new design's for the Zelda cast being used for the next Smash though. So long as Toon Link stays though.....

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Another route would be to change Zelda's design to her BotW appearance, and to give her a new moveset based on things like the Sheikah Slate runes, ancient technology, etc. I think that Zelda needs a redesigned moveset more than Link does (due both to balance and a somewhat flawed design), and using this type of "magic" (in loose terms) would fit into her mage playstyle too. Plus, it allows Link to represent the Zelda series as a whole, able to keep the green tunic as well as series staples like the Boomerang, traditional Bombs, and Hookshot.

Sspec: Magnesis – A long-ranged command-grab that grabs enemies from far away and allows Zelda to move them around, at the cost of lag on whiff. Can also manipulate Cryonis and Remote Bomb.

Uspec: Cryonis – Creates a pillar of ice directly in front of her on the ground, or directly below her in the air as a platform for recovery. Handy for trapping opponents against the wall, or for getting the high ground.

Dspec: Remote Bomb – Press once to pull it out, press again to detonate. The blast can destroy Cryonis pillars, sending chunks of ice flying to damage opponents. When holding the bomb, perhaps a button could be used to swap between square and round bombs.

Nspec: Ancient Arrow – A powerful, charge-based projectile.

Final Smash: Stasis – Lock the opponent in place to open them up for big damage!

By using her four special moves in conjunction with each other, this version of Zelda can pressure opponents using traps and long-ranged moves, a very setup-based character. To compensate, she'd fare worse up-close, perhaps – such as lacking a good combo-breaking move.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ura Ura : While OoT Link is quite iconic, that would've meant sticking to the OoT versions of Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf which...would have been nice, actually. I was never a fan of the TP designs.
Me as well. The OoT designs looked so cool and I hated that they used TP designs going forward. Especially OoT Ganondorf. That design is my favorite Dorf design out of all his designs.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Another route would be to change Zelda's design to her BotW appearance, and to give her a new moveset based on things like the Sheikah Slate runes, ancient technology, etc. I think that Zelda needs a redesigned moveset more than Link does (due both to balance and a somewhat flawed design), and using this type of "magic" (in loose terms) would fit into her mage playstyle too. Plus, it allows Link to represent the Zelda series as a whole, able to keep the green tunic as well as series staples like the Boomerang, traditional Bombs, and Hookshot.
Please no, that version of Zelda is pretty much the worst incarnation of Zelda I've ever seen. I'd rather have the CD-I versions.

They didn't go with SS versions of Link and Zelda before despite SS being the most recent Zelda game at the time because of no Ganondorf nor Sheik counterparts and...
It looks like it'll go the same way here due to BotW not having Ganondorf nor Sheik counterparts either. If they're planning on new Smash amiibo for Switch then they should go with the HW versions since it's the most recent game that has all 4 in one game with newer designs. That Sheik would be awesome in physical form as well as Ganondorf's glorious hair.
...it's hard to say now.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Another route would be to change Zelda's design to her BotW appearance, and to give her a new moveset based on things like the Sheikah Slate runes, ancient technology, etc. I think that Zelda needs a redesigned moveset more than Link does (due both to balance and a somewhat flawed design), and using this type of "magic" (in loose terms) would fit into her mage playstyle too. Plus, it allows Link to represent the Zelda series as a whole, able to keep the green tunic as well as series staples like the Boomerang, traditional Bombs, and Hookshot.[/spoiler]
After maining her for 3 games I can attest to the fact that Zelda certainly needs some sort of overhaul, even if the goddess powers are truly iconic with her. The champion powers can also be mixed in there too and I really like the idea of Stasis. I don't think that they need to completely change her attacks because they're on the right track with a few of them, especially Farore's Wind and Nayru's Love, just that some of them are kinda flawed (why does Din's Fire have free fall? Why can't i stop charging Phantom Slash? why do you forsake us so Sakurai?)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well yes there's barley a zelda character i dont support but for some reason im not sold on the idea

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'd be up for him to be the replacement, even if as the primary costume instead of TP Link.
I hope next game there will be a great emphasis on costumes, allowing as to play as any Link, Zelda ect from any game like Hyurle Warriors have done. It would be cool having BofW Link fight say SS Link. Soooo much fresh.

Your moveset sounds great especially the inclusion of teh Shiekah Slate abilities!!

Toon Link could have costumes for the 2D games, have a Minish Cap hat guy (forgot his name) on his head for example.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I think that rather than replace Link or be a semi-clone, we should be able to have the Champion's tunic as an alternate costume (maybe with red, green, and purple variants), bumping Link up to 12 - and then add things like the Ancient Arrow/Triple Bow, Remote Bombs, Paraglider, etc. as custom moves.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Sakurai's kinda lazy when it comes to alts, prefering to just do a texture swap since that's the cheaper alternative.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We'll get a costume for Link with the Champion's Shirt, and that's all.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The thing I still hope for with Link is if you're holding a bomb and press B, Link nocks a bomb arrow instead of a normal one. And BotW just helps the case for that.
Always wanted this. It'd be fantastic.

As for the rest...well, personally, I'd prefer a new BOTW moveset for the Link we got...having him as a separate character would be unnecessary but I wouldn't mind too much and would probably main him.

Best we're likely to get is a palette swap though.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Would love BotW Link in the game in any form, in addition to Zelda.

It's time to move past Twilight Princess. Would love the former two to replace TP Link and Zelda in Smash Switch.

I'd be perfectly fine with alts, too.

In fact I want BotW Link and Zelda in Smash Switch even more than K. Rool or Ridley, though not as separate characters to the TP ones. Either as an alt or as a replacement.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
BotW texture alts are more likely due to...spoiler reasons regarding 2 other Zelda characters already in Smash. They didn't update Link and Zelda for Smash 4 to their more recent SS versions at the time, I can see Sakurai sticking to the TP designs or update the Triforce Trio + Sheik to their more recent HW designs.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
perhaps he'll compromise and have botw link wearing the outfit of one of the older links

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
There's also the issue with BotW Link being right-handed while the more iconic Links have all been left-handed. The most I could see would be the TP tunic with the lighter blue of the BotW tunic.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, BOTW spoiler I guess.
Breath of the Wild Link and Zelda do still have their traditional tunic and royal dress respectively, the former you unlock by completing all the shrines and the latter you see through one of the flashbacks.) so it's not so much that their design's are so far off from their more iconic traditional look, even though the champion's tunic and Zelda's traveling outfit are probably the more recognizable looks for them at the moment.

It's more a matter that they will need to make a redesign for Ganondorf at least though. I feel like Sheik, much like Toon Link, can just remain in her current design though (Since she's no longer bound to Zelda through a transformation and all), or just revert her back to her canon OoT design. (Or just have both as alts I suppose)

Last edited:

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
I have always wanted to see him and Zelda in that style for Smash Bros. Switch. Let's hope this will exist and replace the Twilight Princess style. :)

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Well, BOTW spoiler I guess.
Breath of the Wild Link and Zelda do still have their traditional tunic and royal dress respectively, the former you unlock by completing all the shrines and the latter you see through one of the flashbacks.) so it's not so much that their design's are so far off from their more iconic traditional look, even though the champion's tunic and Zelda's traveling outfit are probably the more recognizable looks for them at the moment.

It's more a matter that they will need to make a redesign for Ganondorf at least though. I feel like Sheik, much like Toon Link, can just remain in her current design though (Since she's no longer bound to Zelda through a transformation and all), or just revert her back to her canon OoT design. (Or just have both as alts I suppose)
Thing is, these guys come in a set. Sheik's Brawl design was actually a scrapped design from TP which Sakurai used so Sheik would feel out of place. This is SS all over again
with no Ganondorf nor Sheik counterparts again. The HW designs are just too good for them not to use them. HW Sheik makes Smash Sheik look like absolute garbage. Same with HW Ganondorf.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Thing is, these guys come in a set. Sheik's Brawl design was actually a scrapped design from TP which Sakurai used so Sheik would feel out of place. This is SS all over again
with no Ganondorf nor Sheik counterparts again. The HW designs are just too good for them not to use them. HW Sheik makes Smash Sheik look like absolute garbage. Same with HW Ganondorf.
Was it scrapped, or was it made specifically for Brawl? I thought it was the latter, I mean Brawl was also apparently planned to get a Toon Sheik and I doubt that was planned for Wind Waker since Tetra already existed.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
They had the idea of putting Sheik in TP but then there were issues on how she'd fit in and she was scrapped in later stages of development. Hm, Toon Sheik and the rest of "The Forbidden Seven"? I always thought of those being placeholder files. "Toon Sheik" was most likely going to end up as Tetra.

I hope the next Smash game switches things up quite a bit.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They had the idea of putting Sheik in TP but then there were issues on how she'd fit in and she was scrapped in later stages of development. Hm, Toon Sheik and the rest of "The Forbidden Seven"? I always thought of those being placeholder files. "Toon Sheik" was most likely going to end up as Tetra.

I hope the next Smash game switches things up quite a bit.
According to Hyrule Historia, the design was made specifically for Brawl.
Hyrule Historia said:
The pictures at the bottom right represent what Zelda from Twilight Princess would look like if she transformed into Sheik. They were drawn for Super Smash Bros. Brawl
It's a bit odd why they would use a placeholder name for Tetra since they didn't really do that for any other characters in Brawl other than that Pra_Mai thing, whatever that was meant to be.(At least if I recall correctly)

But I guess that's a discussion for another thread.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I stand corrected then. Sheik was still planned and later scrapped for TP. They just wouldn't make TP Zelda transform into OoT Sheik; it wouldn't make sense. Then again, TP Zelda using spells from OoT Link and now being able to use a Phantom from a Zelda from a completely different timeline never made sense to me either. The Zelda reps are an interesting bunch.

Pra_Mai...people were speculating at the time that it was meant for Plusle and Minun.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It sounds more like a "what if" statement than them ever having any plans to include Sheik into TP and more because Sakurai just needed a TP version of Sheik for Brawl and asked the Zelda dev's to whip something up for him during development (Especially when you include his statement from the Brawl dojo). I guess we can always ask @PushDustIn for clarification on that. But alright, we're getting off topic on that as it is.

Back to BotW Link, If they where to replace the TP design's with the BotW version, They will most likely include both the traditional green tunic and the Champion's tunic as an alt, likewise for Zelda.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Well, Sheik was planned but it didn't go far due to how TP came to be especially with TP Zelda's role in the game.

As for Smash Link, the Triforce Trio and Sheik seem to come in a set so I can see Sakurai sticking to the old TP designs with Link and Zelda having new blue alts to reference BotW. I'm quite tired of the old TP designs so I'd prefer the more recent HW designs. It's the perfect excuse to release new amiibo based on those designs.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sheik could easily be outfitted in the Sheik hood with the Sheikah Armour and Leggings as her BotW incarnation should future Zelda aesthetic in Smash change to BotW. Which I hope it does. Zelda and Link also wouldn't be overly difficult to shift either, though it'd be weird seeing Link not in green, should they go that route.

*spoilers*
It'd be Ganondorf who'd be the toughest, though obv they could go with something simply BotW inspired, or, like Sheik, they might even have some designs of a BotW Ganondorf from preliminary stages.
*spoilers over*

I don't see them incorporating the HW designs, good as they were. It'd be interesting to see if a character like Lana even shows up as a trophy going forward.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Can this be used as an excuse to redesign Smash's Ganondorf from the ground up? His current moveset has next to no basis in Zelda canon and could really stand to be more unique.

Shiek, as I understand it, has no relevance to the series anymore and, having lost her link to Zelda, doesn't really feel like she belongs anymore. I highly doubt Sakurai will cut her, though, he apparently can't even bring himself to fix Ganondorf for fear of fan backlash...

Regarding Zelda, how widespread actually are the goddess powers in the series? If they were exclusive to OoT then they hold no more relevance than the current shiekah tablet abilities.

And, as for Link, I can't see BotW featuring too heavily. Link has a well established moveset that encompasses practically all of his home console appearances, with his Toon counterpart covering handhelds. Neither is weak enough in meaning to be straight up replaced and I don't personally see things like the magnesis sword throw taking away moves like the boomerang with more basis in his source material.

I would love to see those bomb arrows though.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Regarding Zelda, how widespread actually are the goddess powers in the series? If they were exclusive to OoT then they hold no more relevance than the current shiekah tablet abilities.
The three powers in spesific are exclusive to OoT, but the Zeldas are descentants of the Goddess Hylia that trusted with protecting the triforce and some zeldas also have triforce of wisdom. so I overall find it appropriate for Zelda to use magic related to the Three Goddesses. They work better for non-specific zelda than I feel shiekah tablet abilities would.
I would love to see those bomb arrows though.
Completely agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom