• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breath of the Wild Link in Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I've had a thought that the next Smash can give multiple movesets to several characters. For example:
  • Mario can use his punching or his hammer
  • Ike can use Ragnell or an axe
  • Ganondorf can use his punching or his sword
  • Kirby can use several weapons like the spear or beam whip.
I feel this is the best route if they're going to represent BotW's weapon selection in Smash. Link could get a spear and axe moveset to go along with his regular Master Sword moveset.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I've had a thought that the next Smash can give multiple movesets to several characters. For example:
  • Mario can use his punching or his hammer
  • Ike can use Ragnell or an axe
  • Ganondorf can use his punching or his sword
  • Kirby can use several weapons like the spear or beam whip.
I feel this is the best route if they're going to represent BotW's weapon selection in Smash. Link could get a spear and axe moveset to go along with his regular Master Sword moveset.
Now THIS I can support!

It's like Custom Moves, but with a whole moveset attachted to it right.

For example, you could select Mario, and then choose the option to go for the Dr.Mario moveset / playstyle.

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice
Definitely would rather Link gets redesigned/reworked in order to fit BOTW's design instead of another Toon Link situation. Then maybe Zelda's redesign could work if she gets reworked as well (like someone said before, using the runes over the magic spells). Ganondorf and Sheik could very easily be redesigned to fit the style of BOTW as well.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Now THIS I can support!

It's like Custom Moves, but with a whole moveset attachted to it right.

For example, you could select Mario, and then choose the option to go for the Dr.Mario moveset / playstyle.
I don't think clones would be fully integrated with what I have in mind.

I just think several (probably not all) characters would get multiple normal sets and that's it.

Mario would get his regular hammer, and Dr. Mario could probably get a giant Reflex Hammer for example.

lasagnasmash

Smash Rookie
Link has had multiple iterations in the Smash Brothers series, with Adult Link, Young Link, and Toon Link. So if Link got a new semi-clone based on the new amazing game Breath of the Wild, here is how I think his moveset would be like.

Neutral B:
Bow - this link is able to move and jump while charging his bow.

Side B:
Throw / Magnesis - Link throws his sword which does the damage and knockback of a smash attack. Link cannot use any of his normal, aerial, or smash attacks without his sword. If this ability is used when the sword has already been thrown it will activate magnesis which will pull the sword back towards Link. If Link's sword was thrown off the map or picked up by an enemy Link will have to wait on a cooldown for his sword to respawn similar to Luma's cooldown. The sword cannot be caught mid air after being thrown.

Up B:
Spin Attack - after an aerial spin attack is preformed this Link will automatically begin gliding on his paraglider.

Down B:
Remote Bomb - throws a bomb that can be remotely detonated by pressing down b when a bomb is already active. While it has a larger blast radius than Links bomb, it also has a significantly longer cooldown. The remote bomb will not detonate unless you detonate it.

Final Smash:
Ancient Arrow - works like an aimable but slightly less powerful version of Zelda's ult.

Grab:
Grab - there is no claw shot in Breath of the Wild so this link has a standard grab and no tether recovery.

Other Info:
This Link has the same weight as Toon Link.
This Link can wall cling but not wall jump.

While this link does have drawbacks like more cooldowns, less weight, and no tether grab, his moves are generally more powerful / versatile. This is because it is accurate to the differences between the games, but also because basic Link (just isn't that strong). So I was hoping to make a B tier character than a D tier character.

I hope my ideas are both balanced, accurate, and unique. I'd love to hear feedback. The biggest thing I'm conflicted on though is what this Link would be called. It doesn't make sense to call him "New Link" or "Half Toon Link". Or how about "Hawt Link" because we all know how Reggie feels ;). I really don't know what this character would be called.
While i would enjoy more LoZ characters, BotW Link seems like an odd choice. I'd rather have someone from the pile of Assist Trophy characters to be fully fledged, such as Midna or Skull Kid. While i realize the list of consistent LoZ characters is small (due to the timelines and the changes therein), another Link clone wouldn't be my first choice. I loved Young Link in Melee and Toon Link in sm4sh (although I think regular Link should be higher on the sm4sh tier list), however, because of the fact that he's based off of a clone in the first place, it seems a bit too Inception for me. I like the idea, but I don't know how well a cloned clone would fare.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
As would the sheer size and weight of his sword, anyway. He'd be closer to Nightmare from Soul Calibur than to Link, Marth, or even Ike.

Personally, I have always associated Ganondorf with a sword. The trident is Ganon's weapon.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
[Shrugs] Suppose not. Though you have to admit, the trident would differentiate from all the other swords in Smash.
Only in visuals honestly. It hardly matters in this case, the trident would perhaps just be a little longer than the rest of the swords of the other characters.. But that would be it. Ganon with Trident would just be a heavy weight ranged fighter, a more extreme version of Ike's basic gameplay, with some magic on his Special Moves. I don't think it's a bad style for Ganondorf either, it would help him out tremendously... But I don't think the trident makes him more unique, it would be his heavy weight weapon fighter basic moveset with some Specials that would make him unique. We already have a weapon-based heavy weight fighter with King Dedede after all.

To be honest, a character that can use the sword with a different playstyle, as a samurai-inspired fighter like Takamaru, Lyn or Hyrule Warriors Impa would be more unique in comparison to the current sword characters. It's not what weapon you use, it's more like how you use it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I had a slightly different idea.

Link's not the highest tier character but his moveset is perfectly serviceable. There's one character in the same series who could use a complete rework AND also used the Sheikah Slate

:zeldamelee::zelda::4zelda:

Basic Moveset ideas

Magnesis: Combine with amiibo to throw about metal chests
Cryonis: Make platform/wall
Bomb: Explaitory
Stasis: Not sure if it would be a special or just her grab.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Congratulations guys! That is CLEARLY Breath of the Wild Link in Smash Switch!

He's in my Top 3, by the way. Behind Ridley and K. Rool. My hype levels are OFF THE CHARTS!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Congratulations guys! That is CLEARLY Breath of the Wild Link in Smash Switch!

He's in my Top 3, by the way. Behind Ridley and K. Rool. My hype levels are OFF THE CHARTS!
That looks like Link's new design instead of a separate character to me.

Only one way to find out though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
BOTW Link confirmed.

Hmm... do I sense a pattern?

OOT Link for Smash 64 and Melee.
TP Link for Brawl and SSB4.
BOTW Link for SSB5 and SSB6? :troll:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
That looks like Link's new design instead of a separate character to me.

Only one way to find out though.
Well, I think it might be a replacement for Twilight Princess, or a new costume. That's all I personally need, though, a means of playing BotW Link in Smash, even if his moveset doesn't change.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If we are getting BOTW Link's design then we will most certainly get BotW Zelda too, which I'm very happy for since I preferred her (and SS Zelda's) design over TP Zelda.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If we are getting BOTW Link's design then we will most certainly get BotW Zelda too, which I'm very happy for since I preferred her (and SS Zelda's) design over TP Zelda.
OMG... yes! A new Zelda with that beautiful design. She looked so gorgeous. Easily my favorite design.

Oh, and what's important is that she wears pants and boots... so hopefully she will have better mobility than she did in dresses and high heels (it works for Peach but not for Zelda).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
OMG... yes! A new Zelda with that beautiful design. She looked so gorgeous. Easily my favorite design.

Oh, and what's important is that she wears pants and boots... so hopefully she will have better mobility than she did in dresses and high heels (it works for Peach but not for Zelda).
Hopefully she gets either one or the other as an alt, likewise for Link and the Tunic of the Wild.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
BOTW Link will probably replace TP Link, along with some of his moves. Twilight Princess came out quite a long time ago, so holding onto TP Link and making a new slot for BOTW Link, in mine opinion, would be a waste of a slot. At any rate, I fancy Link's classic green garb will be available as an alternate costume.

Glad to see he's in the game. If he has the Remote Bombs, I might actually main him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I for one, hope that Link's moveset doesn't change TOO much. Am glad BOTW Link isn't a separate character tho.

D

Deleted member

Newcomer or not, I am glad to see BOTW Link is in Smash in some form. While I hope his BOTW appearance doesn't override his classic green garb, I would be fine if he was an alternate costume or even a separate character. There is a lot that could be taken from BOTW to make him his own character to be honest.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
With Link now being his BotW incarnation, he’s probably getting a hefty moveset revamp, right? Can’t see that version of Link using a Boomerang over, say, Cryonis. (Paraglider is also a shoe-in).

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I really hope Wild Link is a newcomer.

While Link's moveset isn't as well set up as Toon Link, most of the adjustments to it are easy to fix (introduce more general aspects of Link, fix up a few moves). If Link gets fixed, Toon Link could be a lot more unique and more like how he appears in The Wind Waker and subsequent games (Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Triforce Heroes, sort of the Four Swords trilogy, etc). That way both can be even more distinct from one another while being much better versions of themselves.

But back to Wild Link... I hope he has a completely different take on the character, specifically playing just like Breath of the Wild. Multiple kinds of melee weapons (1 hand swords [namely The Master Sword], scimitars, two hand swords [namely axes, claymores, and giant versions of 1 hand weapons], boomerangs, spears, small clubs, large clubs, magic wands) could be on the table as something you can switch between, and maybe break. It could be a central gimmick.

Additionally lots of arrow variety, using a glider, climbing walls, shield surfing, maybe even some Shiekah Slate technology or Champion Powers could be a part of the skillset and moveset.

But one thing I think would be neat is also a stamina system where like Breath of the Wild, Link has a stamina gauge that can be used up by running, climbing, gliding, etc and stagnated by attacking. It could allow Wild Link to have say greater movement speed and recovery than other characters around his weight class (namely standard/vanilla Link) and just better stats in general while having a drawback that players have to play around, so they use their stamina resources efficiently.

This way playing against or as Wild Link would force you to pick moments and spots of when to go all out very carefully; because if Wild Link blows his stamina meter, he can't really recover or move around much. But if he has full stamina, he can go ham on offense and just wreak havoc.

An interesting take on "all-in" potential with good checks and balances, unlike say what we see in Bayonetta going all in offensively so easily without much punishment in Smash 4, or Cloud camping/stalling action for his Limit Break meter.

Instead, it would force more smart engagements on both sides with minimal downtime in the action, and with lots of consequences.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would love to have Champion Link in Smash.
...to replace our current, "Link."

I don't think we need to be as precious with past characters. No matter what happens, when new elements are added old elements need to be trimmed back, and it significantly holds the roster back to not allow the characters to be represenational of their most common and recent iterations.

Particularly when the moveset for Link lives on in its better form with Tink, let's finally get the roster we deserve, and have regular Link upgraded.

Drew'sClues

Smash Rookie
Link has had multiple iterations in the Smash Brothers series, with Adult Link, Young Link, and Toon Link. So if Link got a new semi-clone based on the new amazing game Breath of the Wild, here is how I think his moveset would be like.

Neutral B:

Side B:
Throw / Magnesis - Link throws his sword which does the damage and knockback of a smash attack. Link cannot use any of his normal, aerial, or smash attacks without his sword. If this ability is used when the sword has already been thrown it will activate magnesis which will pull the sword back towards Link. If Link's sword was thrown off the map or picked up by an enemy Link will have to wait on a cooldown for his sword to respawn similar to Luma's cooldown. The sword cannot be caught mid air after being thrown.

Up B:
Spin Attack - after an aerial spin attack is preformed this Link will automatically begin gliding on his paraglider.

Down B:
Remote Bomb - throws a bomb that can be remotely detonated by pressing down b when a bomb is already active. While it has a larger blast radius than Links bomb, it also has a significantly longer cooldown. The remote bomb will not detonate unless you detonate it.

Final Smash:
Ancient Arrow - works like an aimable but slightly less powerful version of Zelda's ult.

Neutral B:

Side B:

Up B:

Down B:

Final Smash:

Grab:
Grab - there is no claw shot in Breath of the Wild so this link has a standard grab and no tether recovery.

Other Info:
This Link has the same weight as Toon Link.
This Link can wall cling but not wall jump.

While this link does have drawbacks like more cooldowns, less weight, and no tether grab, his moves are generally more powerful / versatile. This is because it is accurate to the differences between the games, but also because basic Link (just isn't that strong). So I was hoping to make a B tier character than a D tier character.

I hope my ideas are both balanced, accurate, and unique. I'd love to hear feedback. The biggest thing I'm conflicted on though is what this Link would be called. It doesn't make sense to call him "New Link" or "Half Toon Link". Or how about "Hawt Link" because we all know how Reggie feels ;). I really don't know what this character would be called.
Champion Link would be a good name

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I think they should do the following with the Zelda franchise:

1. Give Link his Breath of the Wild look as the default. Keep his moveset mostly the same, maybe switch the Spin Attack for the Paraglider and a couple other things. Obviously keep the Master Sword as his main weapon. Give him his classic green outfit as an alternate costume, along with other BotW outfits.

2. Revamp Zelda as her Breath of the Wild incarnation. Re-work her moveset with Shiekah Slate abilities and magical runes. Give her a melee weapon (maybe a rapier like in Twilight Princess) and/or bow (with Light Arrows, no longer just as a Final Smash). Give her a classic "pink dress" outfit (maybe the Hyrule Warriors one) as an alternate costume.

3. Revamp Ganon (just call him Ganon, not Ganondorf) with an original, Breath of the Wild-inspired look. (Make Shadowbeast Ganon his Final Smash.) Give him dual blades or a great sword for melee attacks. Remake his entire moveset so that he is no longer a Falcon clone. Give him a more Ganondorf-esque outfit as an alternate costume.

4. Add Impa, with an original look that's basically a young version of her BotW incarnation. Give her a ninja-esque moveset so that she replaces Shiek in the roster. Give her the Hyrule Warriors and/or Skyward Sword outfit as alternate costumes.

5. Revamp Toon Link so that he gets his own, original moveset. Use the Deku Leaf, Wind Jar, etc. He has tons of stuff to pick from. His non-special moveset can stay similar to Link's if they want.

That leaves us with a much more representative Zelda roster in my opinion, and one that can be constantly updated to reflect stylistic changes in future games, while Toon Link remains as a representative of the cel-shaded games. If they were to add a sixth character, it would have to be Tetra/Toon Zelda (as a second cel-shaded representative) or Tingle (inevitably). Anyone else would be a villain-of-the-week or one-off supporting character that would eventually get switched out in the next entry.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Status