• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
What happened is that the part about trying to remove gravity/ joints actually comes from Sakurai's collection, released this month. The other translators and I have been going through, looking at the old Famitsu columns and translating the ones that were missed. In addition we are also including the Reflection part in each translation as they give additional information.

The translation you linked is fairly complete! I haven't checked the specifics but it looks like its exactly how it appeared in the column. Our version just had some additional information that Sakurai has just recently released.

Thanks! We will keep working hard!

Megaman Megafan

Smash Rookie
Welp sad to see that the Ice Climbers are pretty much done it's been a good ride but hey I'm excited to see what else is planned for DLC

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I just heard about this news from PushDustIn's article. It's disappointing to see that all their efforts couldn't achieve the goal of bringing these guys back for this instalment of Smash Bros, all because of the limitations posed by the 3DS.

I just want to say that I'll be waiting for the day when we reach the mountain that is Smash 5's speculation era, I'd be glad to support these guys to reach the peak that is entry into the next Super Smash Bros.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I've never been too involved with the Ice Climbers DLC Support, but my condolences.

Though at least there's the solace that they're pretty much a lock for the next game. Still, keep up your support, aka, #neverstopclimbing

:231:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Well you all know my feelings on them.
My tertiaries. The one's I thought were always by my side.
The Roster will always have an empty slot to me.
But Next game they are a given so it's not like Goodbye.
Just see you later that's all.
Never forget though. They will always have each other.

See you Next Game. My Fuzzy Friends.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Best alternative: Traditional ICies on Wii U, and if they can't get them to work on 3DS, then have a solo Ice Climber on 3DS along with alt. skins for Popo and Nana.

Otherwise, if this really is the end, then Brawl is definitely still my favorite Smash. And the DLC roster has a HUGE hole to fill in both Smash and my heart.

(Rant):

If this stupid, no good 3DS version didn't exist, we wouldn't have to be here right now. We'd have a spot on the roster, and a majority of us would be happy with that. It's really not a big series, there's one game, with representation in 2/4 Smash games. We don't even have a flipping series icon anymore! R.O.B. HAS A SERIES ICON! R.O.B.!!! This is just plain, flat-out, stupid. We've lost all representation in Smash. Flipping brilliant. And we all know what's to blame for it. If there's anything good to come from this, it's that we're likely for Smash 5. LIKELY! Wait, where have I heard that in speculation before? Oh ya, HERE. What's wrong with that? It's that we shouldn't be "likely". No, no, no, after the pain we've had this past year, we'd better be GUARANTEED for Smash 5. I don't think anyone quite knows what we've been doing the past year, to help them. All these hours and hours of work and discussion, for NOTHING. I'm mad. No, FURIOUS. This will not be the last of the Ice Climbers. We will be brought back into Smash. We will NOT be forgotten like this. Things just went from bad, to worse. Are we going to give up because of that?

(End rant)

Looking back though, this has been an awesome year. And like falcomaster said, we've still got plenty of options. If we can't get them to work on the 3DS traditionally, then we'll think of some other way. We're not finished yet. This is just the end of traditional ICies on 3DS (unless that article said they couldn't work on Wii U). We've still got a lot of supporting to do. This thread won't die, and neither will the ICies. We can still get them in the game, we just have to think of a different way to do it.

@ PushDustIn PushDustIn , I know that part of what was translated is new information, but does it say if that new information is pertaining to attempts AFTER they began work on DLC or when they initially tried to get ICies to work?

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Best alternative: Traditional ICies on Wii U, and if they can't get them to work on 3DS, then have a solo Ice Climber on 3DS along with alt. skins for Popo and Nana.

Otherwise, if this really is the end, then Brawl is definitely still my favorite Smash. And the DLC roster has a HUGE hole to fill in both Smash and my heart.

(Rant):

If this stupid, no good 3DS version didn't exist, we wouldn't have to be here right now. We'd have a spot on the roster, and a majority of us would be happy with that. It's really not a big series, there's one game, with representation in 2/4 Smash games. We don't even have a flipping series icon anymore! R.O.B. HAS A SERIES ICON! R.O.B.!!! This is just plain, flat-out, stupid. We've lost all representation in Smash. Flipping brilliant. And we all know what's to blame for it. If there's anything good to come from this, it's that we're likely for Smash 5. LIKELY! Wait, where have I heard that in speculation before? Oh ya, HERE. What's wrong with that? It's that we shouldn't be "likely". No, no, no, after the pain we've had this past year, we'd better be GUARANTEED for Smash 5. I don't think anyone quite knows what we've been doing the past year, to help them. All these hours and hours of work and discussion, for NOTHING. I'm mad. No, FURIOUS. This will not be the last of the Ice Climbers. We will be brought back into Smash. We will NOT be forgotten like this. Things just went from bad, to worse. Are we going to give up because of that?

(End rant)

Looking back though, this has been an awesome year. And like falcomaster said, we've still got plenty of options. If we can't get them to work on the 3DS traditionally, then we'll think of some other way. We're not finished yet. This is just the end of traditional ICies on 3DS (unless that article said they couldn't work on Wii U). We've still got a lot of supporting to do. This thread won't die, and neither will the ICies. We can still get them in the game, we just have to think of a different way to do it.

@ PushDustIn PushDustIn , I know that part of what was translated is new information, but does it say if that new information is pertaining to attempts AFTER they began work on DLC or when they initially tried to get ICies to work?

Personally, I dont think they would have worked in 8-Player Smash either:

Look at the alterations done to stages for 8 player Smash.

-Ridley gets cut
-Stage transformations get cut
-Mirror animations get cut
-Breakable walls get cut
-Kart A.I. get cut
-General animations get cut

I sincerely doubt that the WIi U could handle 16 players, it barely gets 8 done!

I know Sakurai said they were working on the Wii U version. But we don't know when in development they were cut. I have some theories, but they are just theories right now.

If I find any additional information about the Ice Climbers, you guys will be the first to know. So far, nothing exists AFAIK. I'm still going through columns, and I got another whole book to start. But, I dont think anything exists TBH. I don't want to get your hopes up for nothing.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Personally, I dont think they would have worked in 8-Player Smash either:

Look at the alterations done to stages for 8 player Smash.

-Ridley gets cut
-Stage transformations get cut
-Mirror animations get cut
-Breakable walls get cut
-Kart A.I. get cut
-General animations get cut

I sincerely doubt that the WIi U could handle 16 players, it barely gets 8 done!

I know Sakurai said they were working on the Wii U version. But we don't know when in development they were cut. I have some theories, but they are just theories right now.

If I find any additional information about the Ice Climbers, you guys will be the first to know. So far, nothing exists AFAIK. I'm still going through columns, and I got another whole book to start. But, I dont think anything exists TBH. I don't want to get your hopes up for nothing.
OK then. Thanks for the heads up.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I don't think people should complain about the 3DS version. Since there were two versions, they likely got a bigger budget and development team. That probably allowed for more characters and stages as a whole to get added in.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't think people should complain about the 3DS version. Since there were two versions, they likely got a bigger budget and development team. That probably allowed for more characters and stages as a whole to get added in.
Well, yes that's true, but this thread is focused on the one character that didn't make it in, despite what you have said happened.

Falcon1991

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Falcon1991
Real pity to hear about that article, I loved the Ice Climbers in Melee.

I'll still hold out on hope for a Wii U exclusive DLC though! :D

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Real pity to hear about that article, I loved the Ice Climbers in Melee.

I'll still hold out on hope for a Wii U exclusive DLC though! :D
We all do, and at this point, if they're to get in, that's probably what will happen. But Wii U exclusives is pushing it a bit...though I wouldn't mind.

Megaman Megafan

Smash Rookie
The way I see it the 3ds version was somewat of a mistake I mean even though smash on the go is fun it's plain and simple that the 3ds version held back the superior version. I understand they need to make money and I'm glad they did but it did lower Smash Us potential. Hopefully next time they keep it NX exclusive or the 4DS can actually handle smash without changing the superior version.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
The way I see it the 3ds version was somewat of a mistake I mean even though smash on the go is fun it's plain and simple that the 3ds version held back the superior version. I understand they need to make money and I'm glad they did but it did lower Smash Us potential. Hopefully next time they keep it NX exclusive or the 4DS can actually handle smash without changing the superior version.
If you are going to say that the 3DS version is a mistake, then you should know that Subspace Emissary held back Brawl 1000% more than the 3DS version with the Wii U. The Subspace Emissary was basically a whole another game. Also, I think 8 Player Smash could have been a factor for the Ice Climbers demise. So you will need to hope that the NX version will not see that feature returned.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
If you are going to say that the 3DS version is a mistake, then you should know that Subspace Emissary held back Brawl 1000% more than the 3DS version with the Wii U. The Subspace Emissary was basically a whole another game. Also, I think 8 Player Smash could have been a factor for the Ice Climbers demise. So you will need to hope that the NX version will not see that feature returned.
I don't think 8-Player Smash held them back, but it's a possibility, I guess. If only we knew when the Ice Climbers development on the Wii U both started and ended, as well as development on 8-Player Smash. We could make more accurate predictions given that.

As for the SSE, I think that mode pretty much made the game rather than held it back. It was a really enjoyable experience to play through (and I absolutely LOVED R.O.B.'s entrance!!!). But again, everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Megaman Megafan

Smash Rookie
I never thought about that, thanks for the insight

Megaman Megafan

Smash Rookie
I don't think 8-Player Smash held them back, but it's a possibility, I guess. If only we knew when the Ice Climbers development on the Wii U both started and ended, as well as development on 8-Player Smash. We could make more accurate predictions given that.

As for the SSE, I think that mode pretty much made the game rather than held it back. It was a really enjoyable experience to play through (and I absolutely LOVED R.O.B.'s entrance!!!). But again, everyone's entitled to their opinions.
Honestly the only good thing about Subspace were the cutscenes in my opinion the levels were super bland

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Honestly the only good thing about Subspace were the cutscenes in my opinion the levels were super bland
Again, everyone's got their opinions. Some levels, I'd say, were boring, but a good portion of them were enjoyable for me the first time around (especially since, at the time, I had no idea what I was doing).

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I enjoyed Subspace Emissary, and I loved the crazy attention to details. But Subspace Emissary held Brawl back more-so than the 3DS version with the Wii U. I enjoyed the character introduction trailers this time around (but I do wish they were longer).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
As I only have the 3DS version and I'm not too invested in getting a Wii U, I think it was a wise decision to keep the roster the same. Both games have been marketed as a two-version kind of deal and we were promised the same roster on both versions while features such as stages and trophies had been confirmed to be different between versions right away.

Putting the Ice Climbers as Wii U exclusives, considering how the roster was explicitly stated to be equal in both versions when the game was announced, would amount to false advertising and cause complaints anyway, so it's pretty much a lose-lose situation here.

It's true that the 3DS version's existence led a few aspects of the game in a different direction to meet the objective of having the roster the same in the two versions. The only real negative I see is the lack of the Ice Climbers, even though it seems Sakurai and his team tried their best to have them working. Hell, some of the consequences of the 3DS's limitations have arguably been deemed as positive such as the removal of transformations (Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zero Suit Samus).

All in all, I don't think I'd throw away the many benefits of a handheld version just for one character. Not when the roster is the biggest in the series so far, currently clocking in at 55 characters and still growing thanks to DLC.

I've always defended the idea of sacrifice for an objective. This is no different.

Hopefully, the Ice Climbers will return in the next game. I assure that, should Sakurai produce the next game, he will try to get them back into the fray. He dislikes cuts and, trust me that, considering my own experience with programming, it's very frustrating to see hours of work be in vain. Programming can be a very exhausting task and sometimes you really have no choice but to drop functionalities because you won't be able to fine-tune them and meet the deadline of the project. I've had similar things happen to me before, so I can sympathize with the Smash development team.

I think at this point, we will need to accept reality and move on. Appreciate the game as it is, but looking towards the future.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
As I only have the 3DS version and I'm not too invested in getting a Wii U, I think it was a wise decision to keep the roster the same. Both games have been marketed as a two-version kind of deal and we were promised the same roster on both versions while features such as stages and trophies had been confirmed to be different between versions right away.

Putting the Ice Climbers as Wii U exclusives, considering how the roster was explicitly stated to be equal in both versions when the game was announced, would amount to false advertising and cause complaints anyway, so it's pretty much a lose-lose situation here.

It's true that the 3DS version's existence led a few aspects of the game in a different direction to meet the objective of having the roster the same in the two versions. The only real negative I see is the lack of the Ice Climbers, even though it seems Sakurai and his team tried their best to have them working. Hell, some of the consequences of the 3DS's limitations have arguably been deemed as positive such as the removal of transformations (Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zero Suit Samus).

All in all, I don't think I'd throw away the many benefits of a handheld version just for one character. Not when the roster is the biggest in the series so far, currently clocking in at 55 characters and still growing thanks to DLC.

I've always defended the idea of sacrifice for an objective. This is no different.

Hopefully, the Ice Climbers will return in the next game. I assure that, should Sakurai produce the next game, he will try to get them back into the fray. He dislikes cuts and, trust me that, considering my own experience with programming, it's very frustrating to see hours of work be in vain. Programming can be a very exhausting task and sometimes you really have no choice but to drop functionalities because you won't be able to fine-tune them and meet the deadline of the project. I've had similar things happen to me before, so I can sympathize with the Smash development team.

I think at this point, we will need to accept reality and move on. Appreciate the game as it is, but looking towards the future.
Currently, as it stands, this game is 90% complete. What we need and/or will get to complete the game is more DLC, ICies and Wolf, original Target Blast back, and a Story/Adventure Mode. Other than that, I do appreciate the work put in to this game. And I still think there is a chance for ICies DLC, we'll just have to change the formula a bit. I think the 3DS did hold back the Wii U, but either way, the game is great, and I agree that we should try to keep the rosters the same (minus whether or not you buy a DLC character on one version and don't on the other). However, if we can't get them to work on 3DS, but can on Wii U, if rather they be Wii U exclusive over nothing.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Currently, as it stands, this game is 90% complete. What we need and/or will get to complete the game is more DLC, ICies and Wolf, original Target Blast back, and a Story/Adventure Mode. Other than that, I do appreciate the work put in to this game. And I still think there is a chance for ICies DLC, we'll just have to change the formula a bit. I think the 3DS did hold back the Wii U, but either way, the game is great, but I agree that we should try to keep the rosters the same (minus whether or not you buy a DLC character on one version and don't on the other). However, if we can't get them to work on 3DS, but can on Wii U, if rather they be Wii U exclusive rather than nothing.
Allow me to tell you something: no game or software project is ever 100% complete. Sometimes, no matter the amount of content, you can always say "they could have added this or that" or "they could have done this or that".

There are always a lot of ideas, and this definitely doesn't solely apply to Smash, that are dropped during development. They either don't have the time or resources to fulfill them all, there may be technical difficulties, there may be issues with the executives of the companies...

That's why developers prioritize things and try to make the best use of what they have to make as many of those ideas a reality as possible. I can assure that the time spent in implementing the Ice Climbers for this game was in vain. If they had known they wouldn't be able to make them, they wouldn't have started in the first place.

Game development can be turbulent and uncertain. And there are no perfect games either. Just as the people who make them have their flaws, games have theirs as well.

The process of making a game can have its share of dark secrets, so to say.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
No, no, no, after the pain we've had this past year, we'd better be GUARANTEED for Smash 5. I don't think anyone quite knows what we've been doing the past year, to help them. All these hours and hours of work and discussion, for NOTHING. I'm mad. No, FURIOUS.
I think this one is kinda on you guys though. Sakurai had already stated that they couldn't add Ice Climbers to Smash due to technical issues, but you guys chose to keep discussing, speculating, and hoping in spite of that - which is fine, but don't act like it's Sakurai's fault you ignored what he said and hoped for something that was never on the table.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I think this one is kinda on you guys though. Sakurai had already stated that they couldn't add Ice Climbers to Smash due to technical issues, but you guys chose to keep discussing, speculating, and hoping in spite of that - which is fine, but don't act like it's Sakurai fault you ignored what he said and hoped for something that was never on the table.
Err, I believe that's more so the fact that we had no real speculation as to what the "technical difficulties" were at the time. With a vague wording like that, anything was up for grabs.

Anyways, I suppose this is an option for the climbers. Solo Ice Climber on the 3DS with Popo and Nana Alts, with traditional Ice Climbers on the Wii U.

Or, if 8 Player Smash really does hold things back (which is weird, considering ten characters could run around at the same time in Melee with some event matches and wire frame battles), solo Ice Climbers all around then.

Otherwise, I'm worried that Sakurai will drop the series, someone else will pick it up by next Smash, and the Ice Climbers could be completely forgotten.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Err, I believe that's more so the fact that we had no real speculation as to what the "technical difficulties" were at the time. With a vague wording like that, anything was up for grabs.

Anyways, I suppose this is an option for the climbers. Solo Ice Climber on the 3DS with Popo and Nana Alts, with traditional Ice Climbers on the Wii U.

Or, if 8 Player Smash really does hold things back (which is weird, considering ten characters could run around at the same time in Melee with some event matches and wire frame battles), solo Ice Climbers all around then.

Otherwise, I'm worried that Sakurai will drop the series, someone else will pick it up by next Smash, and the Ice Climbers could be completely forgotten.
Sakurai dropped the series in between Melee and Brawl, and Nintendo asked him to come back for Brawl, which he did. I don't think he's going to drop the series now. Maybe after Smash 5, but not before it. In fact, I heard that Sakurai originally intended for there to be 5 installments in the series. So unless he's A. Gone back on that statement or B. Counting Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U as separate iterations, I think he will stick around for next game.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Sakurai dropped the series in between Melee and Brawl, and Nintendo asked him to come back for Brawl, which he did. I don't think he's going to drop the series now. Maybe after Smash 5, but not before it. In fact, I heard that Sakurai originally intended for there to be 5 installments in the series. So unless he's A. Gone back on that statement or B. Counting Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U as separate iterations, I think he will stick around for next game.
Oh, OK. That's good to hear.

Anyways, so is it agreed? We stick around with the thread to discuss alternatives to getting these guys in?:)
If so, let's count off a few.

Traditional Ice Climbers on 3DS and Wii U
Ice Climbers Wii U Exclusive
Solo Ice Climbers on 3DS and Wii U (Popo and Nana alts)
Solo Ice Climber on 3DS and Traditional Ice Climbers on Wii U.
Wii U and New 3DS Exclusive
No Ice Climbers

So, any other options to suggest? (I crossed out the ones that are completely out of the question, Wii U exclusive is looking to be one of those as well).

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Oh, OK. That's good to hear.

Anyways, so is it agreed? We stick around with the thread to discuss alternatives to getting these guys in?:)
If so, let's count off a few.

Traditional Ice Climbers on 3DS and Wii U
Ice Climbers Wii U exclusive
Solo Ice Climbers on 3DS and Wii U (Popo and Nana alts)
Solo Ice Climber on 3DS and Traditional Ice Climbers on Wii U.
No Ice Climbers

So, any other options to suggest? (I crossed out the ones that are completely out of the question, Wii U exclusive is looking to be one of those as well).
Nah, leave it in there and add "Wii U and New 3DS Exclusive", unless we're going to assume they couldn't work on the New 3DS either.

And yes, it's agreed we stick together. Have you ever seen an ice climber try to climb a mountain by themselves?!?!?! Lol. :p

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Allow me to tell you something: no game or software project is ever 100% complete. Sometimes, no matter the amount of content, you can always say "they could have added this or that" or "they could have done this or that".

There are always a lot of ideas, and this definitely doesn't solely apply to Smash, that are dropped during development. They either don't have the time or resources to fulfill them all, there may be technical difficulties, there may be issues with the executives of the companies...

That's why developers prioritize things and try to make the best use of what they have to make as many of those ideas a reality as possible. I can assure that the time spent in implementing the Ice Climbers for this game was in vain. If they had known they wouldn't be able to make them, they wouldn't have started in the first place.

Game development can be turbulent and uncertain. And there are no perfect games either. Just as the people who make them have their flaws, games have theirs as well.

The process of making a game can have its share of dark secrets, so to say.
With my very limited knowledge on game development in general, aspects like these certainly give me a better idea of how it's implemented. Concepts that only get through so many stages. Ideas that don't go past the drawing board. Content intended to be in the game only to be dropped half way through. I could not fathom what that must be like. But during this DLC period, I'm hoping they will be able to fulfill as much more as they can. Maybe with some alternative solutions.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't think having them as New 3DS exclusives is viable by any means, considering compatibility issues, especially in regards to online.

Plus, it would be as contradictory to what was advertised and as alienating as leaving them as Wii U exclusives.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't think having them as New 3DS exclusives is viable by any means, considering compatibility issues, especially in regards to online.

Plus, it would be as contradictory to what was advertised and as alienating as leaving them as Wii U exclusives.
This may be true, but I'm just throwing out an alternative solution. It doesn't have to come true, just something that's been on my mind for quite a while now.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
I'm calling bull**** on this.

Firstly, he brings up melee ice climbers, who operated differently from brawl ice climber to compensate for GC's lower cpu. From the sounds like he considered trying to go the extra mile by converting melee climbers to SSB4, but when crunch time came, he decided it wasn't worth the risk. But with DLC and the ballot, do you really believe he won't try a second time? He hasn't even said "Don't bother voting for Ice Climbers, it won't happen."

Secondly, remember Bowser Jr? How Sakurai said it looked like it wouldn't happen, but some smart programmer pulled it off at the last second? How do we know that the same thing could have happened to the ice climbers, if Sakurai gave them the same dev time Bowser jr did? You know he'll be experimenting with the 3ds, trying to see what more he can squeeze out of it. Who's to say the Bowser Jr miracle won't repeat itself with Ice Climbers?

Besides, DLC and Amiibo money is always motivation enough for a second try.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Firstly, he brings up melee ice climbers, who operated differently from brawl ice climber to compensate for GC's lower cpu. From the sounds like he considered trying to go the extra mile by converting melee climbers to SSB4, but when crunch time came, he decided it wasn't worth the risk. But with DLC and the ballot, do you really believe he won't try a second time? He hasn't even said "Don't bother voting for Ice Climbers, it won't happen."

Secondly, remember Bowser Jr? How Sakurai said it looked like it wouldn't happen, but some smart programmer pulled it off at the last second? How do we know that the same thing could have happened to the ice climbers, if Sakurai gave them the same dev time Bowser jr did? You know he'll be experimenting with the 3ds, trying to see what more he can squeeze out of it. Who's to say the Bowser Jr miracle won't repeat itself with Ice Climbers?

Actually, you're kinda right. I mean, the article never stated if the gravity and other functional changes etc happened before or after the original comments were made...

I mean, it's certainly a possibility but...I dunno anymore...

Either way, we can't just give up on them. But if that article is mostly new info., that just confirms that Mt. 3DS is a lot harder to climb now. But I mean, c'mon, we can still do this...

Last edited:

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036

Do you have source for the bowser jr. one? I would like to read it.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
I'm kinda just glad to have any news on the ICs. Although I admit, I'm skeptical because this is word from Sakurai from October 2014.

As far as I know, all this means is that Ice Climbers DLC is still a possibility (albeit an even MORE minute possibility than it was before), except Sakurai has detailed on what kind of work he and the team had put into the ICs. So now, WE have a better idea of how hard-pressed they might be to try to find a solution now, with more development time, but undoubtedly a smaller development team. Now we [finally] know what kind of challenges Sakurai faced when trying to get them back in.

But honestly, I almost feel like this news is arbitrary now?, except for the fact that maybe this means that traditional ICs have little hope for making back in, unless you know, something happens similar to what @ M MoveMan1 says happened to Bowser Jr.

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Do you have source for the bowser jr. one? I would like to read it.
Here's an article about it from last year, though he's only mentioned in a sentence and the reason for him almost being cut isn't elaborated on. But it shows that Sakurai thought of cutting him. From my understanding, the engine treats Bowser Jr. and the Clown Car as separate entities or something (at least to the physics engine). There's also this on his SSB Wiki page: "Bowser Jr. was almost on the brink of being cut as a playable character due to limited time and resources. He barely got in due to the game's staff's diligent work."

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Here's an article about it from last year, though he's only mentioned in a sentence and the reason for him almost being cut isn't elaborated on. But it shows that Sakurai thought of cutting him. From my understanding, the engine treats Bowser Jr. and the Clown Car as separate entities or something (at least to the physics engine). There's also this on his SSB Wiki page: "Bowser Jr. was almost on the brink of being cut as a playable character due to limited time and resources. He barely got in due to the game's staff's diligent work."
Ya, the game does treat them like that. There's actually a glitch you can do that will mess up Bowser Jr.'s controls because of it. Here's a video showcasing it and some more interesting tidbits.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Thank you. So much. This actually brought back a bit of my hope for the Ice Climbers.

Top Bottom